Saxon Vocalist Peter "Biff" Byford has teamed up with Metal Hammer Magazine for a campaign to call heavy metal fans in the UK to register their religion as 'heavy metal' in the 2011 census in the UK. In this case, heavy metal would be recognised as a religion in the UK along with other religions such as Christianity and Islam.

At the last census nine years ago, more than 400 thousand people in the UK stated 'Jedi', the fictional characters from the Star Wars series, as their religion thanks to a massive internet campaign. Jedi was ultimately ranked as the fourth most popular religion in the UK behind Christianity, Islam and Hinduism, although it is considered to be a joke, rather than a real reflection of the religious beliefs of people concerned. In 2011, it may be heavy metal's turn, the campaigners hope.

Metal Hammer editor Alexander Milas said "Ever since Black Sabbath made their debut 40 years ago heavy metal has grown to become one of the UK's most significant cultural institutions, and a global phenomenon. Hell, if the Jedi can do it, why can't metalheads? The force is strong in us."

Byford added: "Getting heavy metal recognised as a religion is a great bit of rebellion, isn't it? This really is going to be a very cool thing."

Source: gigwise.com
Band profile: Saxon

Posted: 20.01.2010 by Magatouve

Comments page 2 of 2

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 [2]

Magatouve - 21.01.2010 at 06:27
Written by tieka on 21.01.2010 at 04:17

Please let this stay a joke and no one take it seriously...:erm:

Hell yeah... if anybody has taken Manowar seriously, then they should take this one as well!
DoomGuard - 21.01.2010 at 07:04
Calm down you guys!

no need to take to the streets, it seems pretty funny to me
thesabbathfan - 21.01.2010 at 07:53
Thats the absolute funniest shit ive ever heard
Lord_Regnier - 21.01.2010 at 14:00
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.01.2010 at 00:21

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 21.01.2010 at 00:18

What's with all the self-hate? ;P

Self knowledge (and therefore self-hate) comes over the years
But I don't consider myself part of the so-called self-proclaimed metal community. That's why I hate big festivals, that so-called community sense and brainlessness.

@Fat & Sassy: I would give you the same kind of answer, almost word for word, as Marcel did here.
I don't consider myself as part of the metal community. I would not even consider myself as a metalhead in the sense people usually conceive it, even if I listen almost exclusively to extreme metal.

Concerning this stupid idea (the topic of this thread), I think metal should emphasize individuality and independance. That's why I hate 'hail metal' songs and anything that tries to make metal a self-proclaimed community. It promotes a herd mentality.
treptolemus - 21.01.2010 at 16:48
Bah, i like more the jedi stuff... they have lightsabers and laser guns, and spaceships and aliens, which is definitely more cool...
Holy Man - 21.01.2010 at 17:37
We should do that in the US. I'd do it.
Baz Anderson - 21.01.2010 at 17:43
Written by Promonex on 21.01.2010 at 03:40

This thread is so full of fail... -__-

Yes it is. Seriously. Times like these I wonder why I bother.
Magatouve - 21.01.2010 at 18:37
Written by Lord_Regnier on 21.01.2010 at 14:00

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.01.2010 at 00:21

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 21.01.2010 at 00:18

What's with all the self-hate? ;P

Self knowledge (and therefore self-hate) comes over the years

Well... without some sense of community metal would have never been as it is now. Metal is not just people making music, put it on CD's, sell them, people buy them, listen at home, and that's the end of the story. Underground metal scenes with all their practices, especially in the old days in the 80's, of tape trading, fan-zines, local gigs, etc indicate some kind of solidarity and community. The idea of a 'scene' itself refers to some sense of belonging to something. Of course, it is in no way a religion, despite the striking similarities that Fat and Sassy spoke of, but still this idea of an 'imagined' metal community helped a lot shape the music that you listen to. People may not feel belonging to this thing as some indicated here, but many others do feel and this is an influential factor of what metal is all about.
hailandkill1986 - 21.01.2010 at 20:04
I have often thought about this for years and i am glad that somone aside from manowar has taken subject up, though i am sure there are other bands that talk about worshipping metal but not as much as manowar.
Fat & Sassy! - 21.01.2010 at 20:50
Written by Lord_Regnier on 21.01.2010 at 14:00

I would not even consider myself as a metalhead in the sense people usually conceive it...

Trust me. Neither do I. But the way *I* look at it, I'm part of the metal community whether I like it or not. Honestly, this isn't really much to argue about any further anyway. :l
soadbyob - 22.01.2010 at 19:04
Http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/the-guardian-metalheads-will-not-be-able-to-unite-for-heavy-metal-as-a-religion-census-campaign/

i might actually get into it now that someones told me i cant
The Shape 1973 - 24.01.2010 at 17:16
I want to be called Reverend Rock, spreading the word of metal to the masses.

Pages: 1 [2]

News Metal Storm - Saxon Contest 6 01.12.2011 by BlueMobius
News Angra - To Perform With Guest Vocalist At 70000 Tons Of Metal 4 29.10.2012 by Angelic Storm
News Power Metal - Former Vocalist Pungky Deaz Passes 4 10.09.2013 by JunN_Vai
News Agent Steel - Vocalist Sitting Out 70000 Tons Of Metal Cruise 4 26.01.2011 by SBGMetal
Metal arena Favorite Vocalist (extreme power metal) 3 11.10.2006 by tulkas