The 6th annual Metal Storm Awards are here, and they need your votes! To make your life easier we picked a selection of nominees for most categories, though in some (like The Biggest Surprise/Letdown) the decision is traditionally entirely up to you. Still, if your favorite album of the year is not included, please don't trash your monitor or send us hatemail - in each category you can add a write-in vote (on second thought, hatemail is our favorite form of entertainment, so it's OK too). And feel free to use this thread for discussion.

The voting will be wrapped on the 28th of February, with results posted the next day.

Posted: 01.02.2010 by Ivan

Comments page 3 of 3

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 2 [3]

Mr. Doctor - 03.02.2010 at 20:33
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.02.2010 at 19:08

I know you prefer your doom to be more death/doom or to be more extreme. But then again there are people that don't consider that doom at all (just go to the Hellride Music Forums to see what I mean) Btw, then you might also have problems with Candlemass in the doom cetagory, I suspect

I really like what Candlemass has done lately, but I did not see anything spectacular with WHW.
it had... way too much sugar.
Marcel Hubregtse - 03.02.2010 at 20:37
Written by Mr. Doctor on 03.02.2010 at 20:33

it had... way too much sugar.

It has loads of sugar, though less than the album before. But even I like an overdose of sugar from time to time.
Mr. Doctor - 03.02.2010 at 20:40
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.02.2010 at 20:37
But even I like an overdose of sugar from time to time.

I like some sugar too, but outside the metal scene or more specific: the doom scene
Mr. Doctor - 04.02.2010 at 00:15
I just noticed that Bloody Panda is not nominated, I wasn't gonna vote for them anyway but I though that could be a good way for people to get into them, their second album is really good
prelude2tragedy - 04.02.2010 at 01:05
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.02.2010 at 20:00

Written by prelude2tragedy on 03.02.2010 at 19:43

Long time lurker, first time poster.
You don't have Animals as Leaders listed but I did a write-in vote for the album in the Progressive section nevertheless. I hope that's ok.

If it is considered progressive metal I see no problem there whatsoever.

Thank you for the reply. You should check them out if you haven't already.
Marcel Hubregtse - 04.02.2010 at 01:11
Written by prelude2tragedy on 04.02.2010 at 01:05

Thank you for the reply. You should check them out if you haven't already.

I am not too big on most so-called progressive metal but will check them out nonetheless just in case I might like the band.
ß - 04.02.2010 at 01:40
Marcel, when it comes to the extreme doom metal nominations, what release are you leaning towards the most?
Marcel Hubregtse - 04.02.2010 at 01:56
Written by ß on 04.02.2010 at 01:40

I already voted there. And it's for an Australian band with a white cover
ß - 04.02.2010 at 02:09
I can only wonder what band that could be that you speak of I'm kind of torn between 4 releases..
Marcel Hubregtse - 04.02.2010 at 02:34
Written by ß on 04.02.2010 at 02:09

Which ones? Let me guess.. one's Ahab another's Colosseum and a third one is Arcana Coelestia... wonder which the fourth one is.
ß - 04.02.2010 at 02:45
You're right about Colosseum and Arcana Coelsetia, not quite sure about Ahab. I may have to give it another listen to. The other two would be Longing for Dawn and Urna, I guess I could also consider Profetus another possibility.
Marcel Hubregtse - 04.02.2010 at 02:56
Written by ß on 04.02.2010 at 02:45

I didn't expect you to mention Profetus at all and also not Longng For Dawn somehow
Well, as long as you have listened to all the nominees and then decide everything will be fine. Or place a write-in vote of course.
ß - 04.02.2010 at 03:05
Lol why do you seem so surprised by those 2? I'm quite content with all the listed nominations, the last thing I should be doing is listening to the countless other releases this year and giving myself an even harder time deciding
BitterCOld - 04.02.2010 at 05:27
What the fuck is going on? we're having civil conversations on this thread?

and shame on marcel for mentioning his voting patterns. no one likes you here, old man, and all you are going to do is further drive people away from your preferred albums.
Merchant of Doom - 04.02.2010 at 12:18
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.02.2010 at 01:56

Written by ß on 04.02.2010 at 01:40

I already voted there. And it's for an Australian band with a white cover

Voted for Urna... much better and more original album... and genuinely extreme...
Merchant of Doom - 04.02.2010 at 12:28
I must admit I laughed when I saw Katatonia's new album in the Gothic section...
Roro - 04.02.2010 at 13:12
Why there isnt vote for the best album cover :s ?
Lucas - 04.02.2010 at 21:43
Written by Merchant of Doom on 04.02.2010 at 12:18

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.02.2010 at 01:56

Written by ß on 04.02.2010 at 01:40

I already voted there. And it's for an Australian band with a white cover

Urna was one of the most important contenders for me. Together with Arcana Coelestia. In the end, had to go for Ahab because what they do is more groundbreaking... not sure if i'm completely happy with my own vote though.
Merchant of Doom - 05.02.2010 at 01:15
I wasn't 100% happy either (too many good contenders)... but you need to have some kind of benchmark... my other choice would have been Arcana Coelestia or The June Frost... or For The Fallen...
Marcel Hubregtse - 05.02.2010 at 17:30
I wasn't 1005 happy with my vote either, I had to roll dice on it.
Merchant of Doom - 05.02.2010 at 18:06
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.02.2010 at 17:30

I wasn't 1005 happy with my vote either, I had to roll dice on it.

1005? Press the shift key next time...
Marcel Hubregtse - 05.02.2010 at 18:10
Written by Merchant of Doom on 05.02.2010 at 18:06

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.02.2010 at 17:30

I wasn't 1005 happy with my vote either, I had to roll dice on it.

1005? Press the shift key next time...

Damn old crappy keyboard
K†ulu - 05.02.2010 at 21:03
Can't believe Vektor were not nominated in the Thrash Metal category. Totally one of the best and most original albums of the year, both in thrash and in general. I am digging it a lot right now. From the very beginning I could hear something special in it. I listened to a few nominees in Thrash Metal category which I hadn't checked before. Savage Messiah sounded totally generic and rip-off-like. Sacrifice didn't impress either. I listened to them only once, but still I don't think they beat Vektor in any respect. Another thing I noticed is that a lot Thrash these days sounds the same......
Deadmeat - 05.02.2010 at 21:32
Written by K†ulu on 05.02.2010 at 21:03

also in the suicidal angels record, the singers decicion to sing in an awfull way makes the album sound much worse than it would..
Mr. Doctor - 05.02.2010 at 22:14
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.02.2010 at 17:30

I wasn't 1005 happy with my vote either, I had to roll dice on it.

I still haven't vote on that one... not even in the normal doom and sludge/stoner. It seems like it was a very good year for doom because I've seen too many good albums in the list. It would be a difficult choice... It almost feels like I want them all to win.
K†ulu - 06.02.2010 at 09:18
Written by Deadmeat on 05.02.2010 at 21:32

I didn't like Suicidal Angels period. To me it sounded sooooooooo generic and boring. Don't remember the singing, but the drumming and rhythm sections totally suck.
Deadmeat - 06.02.2010 at 13:23
Written by K†ulu on 06.02.2010 at 09:18

Written by Deadmeat on 05.02.2010 at 21:32

check their vocals. sadly this guy looks like whispering. on the other side it is really funny. you have a band playing one of the most aggressive styles with one of the most non-aggressive ways...
K†ulu - 06.02.2010 at 14:07
So why is Mastodon in Alternative Metal?
Baz Anderson - 06.02.2010 at 14:08
I actually had the Suicidal Angels album to review, but kind of didn't get round to doing it.
I thought it was very generic. It was a good album, but very generic.
Daggon - 07.02.2010 at 10:25
Well, so far, I had voted only for the categories I knew the most, so my voting for the "Other Awards" is done:

Best Cover: Persefone - Sword Of The Warrior (Cacophony cover). This is the greatest cover I listened last year, a great rendition to the original, harder, better, faster, stronger. Simply amazing.

Best Debut: Pensées Nocturnes - Vacuum, yup, maybe it's not the best black metal album of the year, but for me is the best debut from 2009, what a great album.

Best DVD: Therion - The Miskolc Experience. A beautiful presentation, with nice interpretations of Wagner, Verdi, etc. and then some great Therion classic songs.

Best Video: Dark Funeral - My Funeral, I'm not a great fan of videos, but this one caught my attention last year, I don't like the band too much, but the video is so well done that immediatly I became a fan of it.

Letdown: Megadeth, Megadeth, Megadeth... Megadeth. Headcrusher was a nice promotional song, then Dave promised a lot, then, I listened to an album so boring that could even induce narcolepsy.

Surprise: Warbringer - Waking Into Nightmares, I didn't expect this guys to release such an amazing album after only a year of realeasing their so so - average debut. I'm impressed, so this was really a huge surprise.

And Drama of course, well, Dimmu wins, Shagrath can be a douche whenever he wants.
The Shape 1973 - 09.02.2010 at 00:53
Vote for Jorn Spirit Black wiped off hard rock, nominated in heavy metal? are you sure? sounds more hard rock to me. Very Whitesnake, Thin Lizzy aren't they hard rock?
Daggon - 16.02.2010 at 09:25
Damn you staff! The voting for the Best Doom Metal album is really hard! Maybe it's because I don't know too much about Doom metal, but I find this stuff really good, so I think I'm going to listen those albums with a lot of my attention.

So far I have made my votes for Thrash, Prog, Black, Metalcore, Sludge/Stoner, Avantgarde, Folk and, as I said before, the Other Awards, it takes its time to listen most of the albums and samples.

I had almost no previous experience with Sludge and Stoner, but with this awards I discoverd a whole new genre for me to enjoy, there are lots of good shit out there for me to listen!

I could bitch about the Thrash metal nominations but, I don't feel like doing it soon, so see ya later.
Marcel Hubregtse - 16.02.2010 at 20:27
Written by Daggon on 16.02.2010 at 09:25

I alo heard people complain how hard it is for them to choose in the doom category who are very very very well known with all sotrs of doom. So, it's not only you
Thanks God there was one major stand out for me there or else it wouold have been impossible as well.
Daggon - 17.02.2010 at 05:08
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.02.2010 at 20:27

Well, then I'm not ashamed of myself anymore

If I'm not mistaken you are with Process Of Guilt and only with Process Of Guilt, am I right?
dismaleuphony - 17.02.2010 at 07:29
Yes, it's a good thing Process Of Guilt are in this year's doom category, as it was an easy vote for me there too. In fact, I'm with Process Of Guilt for metal itself in 2009
K†ulu - 21.02.2010 at 22:05
Holy crap! I have just noticed that Drudkh were not nominated... can't believe it.
Darkside Momo - 21.02.2010 at 22:17
Written by K†ulu on 21.02.2010 at 22:05

It was close, but it didn't make it anyway...
BitterCOld - 01.03.2010 at 19:30
Written by Visioneerie on 03.02.2010 at 00:23

Just out of curiosity, who are you leaning towards in the avantgarde/post metal section ?

awards are announced, so i have no problem divulging my votes now.

enjoyed Solstafir very much, and though Jesu's "Opiate Sun" was awesome, but while Jesu was four songs of awesome, Minsk was a full album of awesome, and thus got my vote.
Visioneerie - 06.03.2010 at 07:48
I thought you were going to go with Opiate Sun, but you made a better choice. Jesu isn't really my thing. I went against the wave of many haters of the new Pelican album. Contrary to stupid belief, I think Pelican's latest is a crusher, but hey, let em' hate.
BitterCOld - 06.03.2010 at 08:44
Written by Visioneerie on 06.03.2010 at 07:48

i was tempted to, i really did like "opiate sun", but as i said above, it was four tracks of awesome whereas Minsk laid down a full album's worth. the Pelican album was good, too be sure. not sure why, but it seems to be cool to bash them a bit nowadays.

this was one of the tougher categories (of which i participate) that were laid out this year. Doom had a bunch of great albums, but a clear-cut favorite (Process of Guilt), same with Extreme Doom (I really loved Ahab), as well as Sludge (Baroness, although I bought 7 of the 10 nominees, and will still likely pick up the others, the field was that good) and Death (some good stuff, but Asphyx was awesome. miss the old school style)

... black metal was another tough one with either Oranssi Pazuzu or Coblat as a write-in (not enough staff actually got ahold of it in time to listen to it before the nomination process ended. shame on us), with some other good releases as well.
Visioneerie - 08.03.2010 at 01:43
Written by BitterCOld on 06.03.2010 at 08:44

Written by Visioneerie on 06.03.2010 at 07:48

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised with some of the black metal this year. It isn't a subgenre I normally listen to because it tends to get old quick with the overused "BM formula" as I like to call it. The two you've mentioned (Cobalt and Oranssi..) were the top dogs of the year in my book. I also liked the Destroyer 666 album despite it being a little generic it is epic out of proportion. Secrets of the Moon's Privilegivm could've made the cut but it doesn't matter since Immortal was obviously going to win it. The genre is evolving.

I'm not too familiar with Doom metal but I remember liking Isole's album quite a bit and of course, Baroness for the sludge category even though there was some worthy competition in Birds of Prey and Kylesa.
Visioneerie - 08.03.2010 at 06:16
Written by BitterCOld on 06.03.2010 at 08:44

and Death (some good stuff, but Asphyx was awesome. miss the old school style)

If you haven't checked out Tribulation's debut The Horror I'd suggest you do.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

News 10th Annual Metal Storm Awards Open For Voting 10.5 01.02.2014 by Hex_Omega
News 9th Annual Metal Storm Awards Open For Voting 10.5 01.02.2013 by Array