The voting is now closed and we'd like to thank all voters who participated. This year we had 10 categories breaking the 1000 votes mark, pretty awesome!

Results can be found here!

OK, enjoy browsing the results, and remember that they are the product of public voting, so that you know who to blame. Just making sure...

Feel free to discuss the outcome in this thread.

Posted: 02.03.2010 by Ivan

Comments page 3 of 4

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

BloodTears - 02.03.2010 at 10:58
Written by Darkside Momo on 01.03.2010 at 22:45

Written by BloodTears on 01.03.2010 at 22:37

I knew Riverside wouldn't win though, they don't have enough following. Maybe in a few years time...

But at that time they'll suffer the Dream Theater syndrome (too many deaf followers)

Ahah, I really hope I don't become one of them
Marcel Hubregtse - 02.03.2010 at 14:44
Written by Pétur on 02.03.2010 at 00:12

I still would like to thank the staff for the awesome selection in the Doom and Extreme Doom section. Arcana Coelestia and Process Of Guilt rock my ass off, damn good stuff. Discovered many great doom bands.

On behalf of the staff I will say "thank you"
Marcel Hubregtse - 02.03.2010 at 14:48
Written by BlueMobius on 02.03.2010 at 03:52

And why wasn't New Moon nominated? I thought it was a great album. Was it just overlooked by the staff last year...

It wasn't nominated cause when the staff votes for that album were counted it woul;dn't even make the staff's top-15. Yes, we heard, and in our opinion the 10 nominees were vastly superior to the new StS
K†ulu - 02.03.2010 at 15:02
So what was the criteria for choosing albums into the Alternative Metal category. You've got Mastodon, Voivod, Amesoeurs, Therapy? and others in the same list. I don't get it. What's Alternative?

Also I'd like to be bitch about Vektor - Black Future having not been nominated in the Thrash category, but I am glad they at least beat Savage Messiah. And it's kind of depressing that Warbringer wound up on the sixth position...
Marcel Hubregtse - 02.03.2010 at 15:29
Written by K†ulu on 02.03.2010 at 15:02

I don't understand this hype amongst MS users concerning the Vektor album. I found it okay, nothing more nothing less. If I had to rate it it would get something between a 7 and 7.5
routa - 02.03.2010 at 15:40
Hrhm, I forgot to vote for Marcel.
Marcel Hubregtse - 02.03.2010 at 15:46
Written by Guest on 02.03.2010 at 15:40

Hrhm, I forgot to vote for Marcel.

No problems, mate, that just means you owe me a beer next time we bump into each other
Thryce - 02.03.2010 at 18:42
Written by Pétur on 02.03.2010 at 00:12

Just like last year, I'll do my bitch rant and pull a George Carlin.

Bitch please, don't compare your sad ranting to George Carlin.
Deadmeat - 02.03.2010 at 19:07
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.03.2010 at 15:29

Written by K†ulu on 02.03.2010 at 15:02

you staffers have decided to drop Kreator out and suggest bands as gama bomb and profane omen for nomination. the 1st ones released a really decent album and nothing more and the 2nd ones are just thrashy. i am not surprised that you've decided to drop vektor out too, who released a much better album than those 2 i've mentioned.
Pétur - 02.03.2010 at 19:21
Written by Thryce on 02.03.2010 at 18:42

Written by Pétur on 02.03.2010 at 00:12

Just like last year, I'll do my bitch rant and pull a George Carlin.

Bitch please, don't compare your sad ranting to George Carlin.

Hell Mr.White knight how is your hypocritical life?
MeloDeathViking - 02.03.2010 at 19:34
Written by Promonex on 01.03.2010 at 13:12

... and who might have discovered some gems you wouldn't have found otherwise.

This is the main reason I love the awards. Last year and this year combined, I probably bought 20 or so new albums just during the awards times, that if not for the awards, I would never have heard of. This year I got to discover great bands like Irminsul, Fjoergyn, Isole, Griftgard, Forsaken and several others. Just because a band I voted for doesn't win doesn't mean I didn't get the chance to discover great new bands, and that right there, is why I love the awards.

P.S. Thanks for all the great doom nominations this year staff, i have vastly increased my doom horizons based on this years nominees.
BitterCOld - 02.03.2010 at 19:37
Written by Pétur on 02.03.2010 at 19:21

Written by Thryce on 02.03.2010 at 18:42

Written by Pétur on 02.03.2010 at 00:12

Just like last year, I'll do my bitch rant and pull a George Carlin.

Bitch please, don't compare your sad ranting to George Carlin.

Hell Mr.White knight how is your hypocritical life?

how is it hypocritical to point out you are no George Carlin?

Now if Thryce were comparing himself to, say, Richard Pryor (like Carlin, also very funny), then being completely unfunny (like you), that would be hypocritical of him to call out your lack of humor.

But Thryce has never claimed to be a comedian, he's just claimed to be an asshole ("that's Mister Asshole to you"). No hypocrisy there.
Lucas - 02.03.2010 at 19:38
Written by MeloDeathViking on 02.03.2010 at 19:34

Written by Promonex on 01.03.2010 at 13:12

... and who might have discovered some gems you wouldn't have found otherwise.

Thanks for the kind words! If only a few people actually check out some bands and find some cool (small) bands to their liking, that makes all our hard work more than worth it!

BitterCOld - 02.03.2010 at 20:07
I have seen multiple people between the first of Feb when the nominees were revealed and now that the winners are announced comment on the fact the awards have helped them uncover some stuff they missed, so i consider it a raving success in that regard. even if only a very small minority check everything out, it's a win for both the band and listener.

beer and kudos to those of you who took the extra steps during this process.
Brogkul - 02.03.2010 at 21:20
Great year for Metal!
Although only one band I voted for won, I discovered some amazing albums thanks to the awards from bands like: Madder Mortem, Long Distance Calling, Coram Lethe, Destroyer 666, Giant Squid, Harvestman, Oranssi Pazuzu, Solstafir, Wolf among others.

My biggest letdowns were Immortal (they were the worst among the nominees). Amorphis, I thought Wolf´s album was way better. Cosmogenesis should´ve won IMO. I also thought Ensiferum was the weakest in it´s genre.

Thanks to the staff for picking these albums, 2009 would´ve felt empty without them.
the stranger - 02.03.2010 at 22:18
Written by BitterCOld on 02.03.2010 at 20:07

beer and kudos to those of you who took the extra steps during this process.

I've been doing that since the first awards back on 2004(but much more on 2008 & 2009). Do I get a big barrel of beer?
BitterCOld - 02.03.2010 at 22:39
Written by the stranger on 02.03.2010 at 22:18

no. but you do get six pints and half-a-dozen kudos.
K†ulu - 02.03.2010 at 23:07
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.03.2010 at 15:29

Written by K†ulu on 02.03.2010 at 15:02

That's your opinion. What do the other staffers think? I personally think it's an absolutely brilliant and unique thrash album.
Thryce - 02.03.2010 at 23:40
Written by K†ulu on 02.03.2010 at 23:07

I wouldn't call them brilliant or unique per se... but I sure found them good enough to make it to my little list of real top thrash albums of 2009.
K†ulu - 02.03.2010 at 23:48
Written by Thryce on 02.03.2010 at 23:40

Written by K†ulu on 02.03.2010 at 23:07

Oh wow. A new feature. But what do you find in Savage Messiah? I listened to that album two times, and yes, it's kind of fun, but I think it's very unoriginal and sort of copycat.

And I saw After All - Cult of Sin in your list. I wanted to find that album when it was released, but I couldn't. Then I forgot about it. Gonna try to find it now.
Pétur - 03.03.2010 at 02:10
Written by BitterCOld on 02.03.2010 at 19:37

Written by Pétur on 02.03.2010 at 19:21

Written by Thryce on 02.03.2010 at 18:42

Written by Pétur on 02.03.2010 at 00:12

Just like last year, I'll do my bitch rant and pull a George Carlin.

Bitch please, don't compare your sad ranting to George Carlin.

Hell Mr.White knight how is your hypocritical life?

how is it hypocritical to point out you are no George Carlin?

That is the problem my best man, I didn't compare my self to George Carlin but you guys jumped to that conclusion. Oh hell no is my ego that big that I compare myself to master Carlin. I meant in this case his typical personality that everybody has a piece of but never dares to show it, that personality of saying directly from the mind, honest and hard. Like everybody at least had someone in their life who they hated and so badly wanted to scold at but couldn't or else shit would have hit the fan badly. Carlin said it directly in the face, the infamous MGM Grand Hotel Las Vegas show where he kept insulting the audience for example.

I just meant with that I posted that rant in that same way as that I don't care and felt doing it from the top of my head then. Needed to get that out of my system.
If people find it funny then hey cool and actually I did get messages last year that some people enjoyed it and if I piss some BAAAAWWWWWWing staffers off who just bitch as much as the people at the results and say that i'm not funny then I also find it a success.

that hypocrisy comment was actually targeted in a different way but aw forget it. My apologies Mr.Thryce I should have called you an asshole instead, didn't saw the disclaimer.
Daggon - 03.03.2010 at 08:14
I have not complained yet about the results, but I find all this bitching pointless, because, as many staffers said before, the awards are for us, the metalstormers to discover new bands, those great and unknown bands that release innovating and unnoticed material, waiting for us, their upcoming fans to listen to them.

This is not about the huge-ass bands winning an award thanks to some close-minded fans who don't even try to listen to the other nominees, this is about us, the people who actually wants to enjoy something new or unknown to their ears.

I'd like to thank the staff for the great bands they presented to me, specially those from the Doom categories and the Sludge/Stoner and Avantgarde categories, I discovered lots of very new and amazing stuff.

I'd also like to greet the great bands that realeased magnificent albums but unfortunately didn't win an award: Riverside, While Heaven Wept, The Chasm, Warbringer and The Agonist.

Still my favorites of the year are and will be Kathaarsys and Penséss Nocturnes.

Thanks for reading my pointless annoying post.
Thryce - 03.03.2010 at 14:37
Written by Pétur on 03.03.2010 at 02:10

Great story dude! Especially the part where you say you piss the staff off with your bitch-rants. You really believe that? We've been doing this for too many years now to still lie awake over the results; and to be seriously upset about some guy's bitch-rant.
The Awards are organized for two main reasons:

1) To give some exposure to the lesser known bands who succeeded in amazing us more than the albums of the big bands (which is often not that hard). And to introduce people to new bands they otherwise wouldn't check out. Those two are the real winners here.
    2) Because we think the Awards are fun. Not in the least because we piss off people - like you - with other opinions and/or sandy vaginas (and not the other way round).

Which brings me to my final point. Bitch-rants like yours don't piss us off, they amuse us. Certainly when you keep defending them as clever, of the top of your head ramblings, a la George Carlin.
Pétur - 03.03.2010 at 18:52
Written by Thryce on 03.03.2010 at 14:37

Written by Pétur on 03.03.2010 at 02:10

The Awards are organized for two main reasons:

yep just keep telling it to yourself
BitterCOld - 03.03.2010 at 18:54
I think if anything we are not mollified by your taste in music (you're just one of thousands of others), your rants (we do so enjoy rants - that is the payoff for our hard work), but that awful comparison to carlin.

i still cannot get over it, despite your awkward explanation.

as someone who has listened to carlin probably since before you were born, i just find that both infuriating and laughably hysterical. it's like me comparing my guitar playing (i suck) to Trey Azagthoth.
Marcel Hubregtse - 03.03.2010 at 18:54
@Petur, sorry to say, but you ARE a whiny bitch who provides the staff with loads of chuckles.
Pétur - 03.03.2010 at 22:45
Whatever
Lucas - 03.03.2010 at 22:56
Let's just drop this ok? It's all very unnecessary.
Elio - 03.03.2010 at 23:12
Staff is supposed to give the good example right? Well done Lucas.
Elio - 04.03.2010 at 00:00
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2010 at 22:49

Thank god DT beat Kalisia, for Dt was vastly superior to them

No way, Kalisia is worthy a 4-5, but DT is worthy a fucking 1

Riverside should have won, followed by Devin the man Townsend.
pazis - 04.03.2010 at 00:07
I was hoping that Obscura would beat all the others on Death. (
ImNotMetal - 04.03.2010 at 09:14
Last year was the year of thrash metal, where famous thrash metal bands release new album,
MétalNoir - 04.03.2010 at 19:37
Ensiferum won the Folk award, uh??? SOOO surprising... Arkona would have crushed the opposition if Ensiferum wasn't so overrated. Anyway...
Daggon - 05.03.2010 at 04:03
Written by MétalNoir on 04.03.2010 at 19:37

Yeah, Ensiferum last album was kinda boring, there was only one good song, "Twilight Tavern" the rest of the album was mmm well, meh...
MétalNoir - 05.03.2010 at 18:58
Written by Daggon on 05.03.2010 at 04:03

Written by MétalNoir on 04.03.2010 at 19:37

I do like From Afar, but Goi, Rode, Goi is much more varied and experimental, Arkona obviously worked much harder on their album than Ensiferum did... Myself, I think "Heathen Throne" is the best track off Ensiferum's last album, but that's just a matter of taste.
Ellrohir - 05.03.2010 at 21:24
Well...out of what i have heard, Ensiferum WAS the best folk metal album of 2009...and i dare to claim i have heard many things in exactly this category
Ragana - 05.03.2010 at 22:43
I guess I'm doing it upside down. I wait for the results and only then check out the bands. This year I voted only once and that album won, hahah.

Anyway, I don't like the name "Epica" next to the number 1. What am I talking, I don't like Epica at all. Delain's "April Rain" was really good enough to be the 1st (it's just it was too catchy, I guess)... And poor, poor Leaves' Eyes... Funny.

The newest Immortal's album is unknown to me. From others I liked Vreid and Shining, of course but, I guess, that's not even close to an objective evaluation.

Everything's clear with Candlemass. Nice album, pretty popular as well. Dunno if it's the best, though.

About others I'm quite neutral - don't care or there's just nothing to say.
Fat & Sassy! - 05.03.2010 at 23:51
Written by BloodTears on 02.03.2010 at 10:55

Actually, I agree with this. DT's album was better then Kalisia's album and Riverside's album was better than DT's album and Kalisia's album. Not to mention Redemption, which I thought didn't even put up a fight because their album was just "good" in my opinion.

Funny you didn't mention Dev's album. I really think he should have won. Prog goodness in a candy-coated wrapper with out sounding pretentious (like most prog) or derivative (like most happy-poppy music). For me, I thought Dev > DT > Kalisia > Riverside
ROMIL - 06.03.2010 at 20:30
This is always a bittersweet time of year for me...sweet because of all the new music I discover through these awards. Bitter because of how long it takes me to go through all the albums I have not heard yet, which is probably about 75% of them. I generally finish a few months prior to the following year's awards, so it's a never-ending cycle. Good stuff though...
bloodwrage - 07.03.2010 at 05:33
Written by ROMIL on 06.03.2010 at 20:30

Cool story bro. Same here. This year I stopped halfway through and just stopped.
Arian Totalis - 09.03.2010 at 09:57
I'm happy with this year's outcome. For the Grind category I voted agorapocalypse, but on second thought ND deserved it more. Far as the staff picks go, good job with the Thrash Category.
Ag Fox - 09.03.2010 at 13:37
Written by Elio on 04.03.2010 at 00:00

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2010 at 22:49

Thank god DT beat Kalisia, for Dt was vastly superior to them

No way, Kalisia is worthy a 4-5, but DT is worthy a fucking 1

Riverside should have won, followed by Devin the man Townsend.
can't agree more (I won't mind if either Riverside or Devin won), so boo for the public opinion and staff choice in Prog

I agree with most of the staff choice other than Alternative (but Mastodon winning is to be expected anyway, so I won't moan about it), Hard Rock, Power and Thrash.
Hardrock: Hardcore Superstar is good actually, but it sounded too easy to me and got old really quickly whereas The Devil's Blood didn't
Power: "The Days Of Greys" is not bad, I actually liked their change in musical direction, but it just lacked some real hits
Thrash: Warbringer wth!? That was the weakest nomination among the Thrash category with the exception of Megadeth
IronAngel - 09.03.2010 at 15:58
I'm baffled by how few votes Jesu's Opiate Sun got. It's possibly their best work to date. And it certainly beats the likes of Isis and Solstafír hands down. It's a bit silly that Diablo Swing Orchestra was in the same category, but alas.
Dark Doom - 11.03.2010 at 21:40
Marduk wormwood must be in the list of black metal , the list of BM was poor
pdepmcp - 19.03.2010 at 01:32
Written by bloodwrage on 07.03.2010 at 05:33

Written by ROMIL on 06.03.2010 at 20:30

Same here too
This year I got a complete overview of the post-something/avantgarde category only, and some ideas regarding other 4-5 categories.
Too bad none of the records I voted won its category. It's the story of a life, always side by side with minorities.
I started digging the rest when nominations came out, I'll probably end in 6 months...what an hard work!
kabaL - 30.03.2010 at 17:15
There are a lot of categories where the winner is the most popular band, but not the best release... I'm kinda dissapointed.

The Atmospheric/Symphonic I voted for Epica, their new album is awesome. But I don't like to see the average album of Sirenia over the good releases of Delain, Whyzdom, Leaves' Eyes and Stream of Passion.

The doom metal award was for Process of Guilt, please... listen that album, it's a kickass release!! Candlemass is a very popular band, their albums use to be good, but Process of Guilt are better than them IMO.

The same with the Extreme doom metal award, I voted for Arcana Coelestia.

The gothic metal award is one of my big dissapointments, Katatonia's release was one of the weakest nominees. I voted for Trail of Tears, also I liked Darzamat and Theatre of Tragedy. And Elis is closer to the Atmospheric/Symphonic category than gothic IMO.

In power metal, I just can't like Sonata Arctica xD

And... progressive metal category is my other big dissapointment. I voted for the great album of Redemption. Also the Riverside release is awesome. Dream Theater won just because of their big fanbase, their album isn't that good.
Marcel Hubregtse - 30.03.2010 at 17:52
Written by kabaL on 30.03.2010 at 17:15

Guess what the staff pick was?
moonsorrow1992 - 01.04.2010 at 09:05
Written by Daggon on 05.03.2010 at 04:03

Written by MétalNoir on 04.03.2010 at 19:37

:thankyou:
Daggon - 01.04.2010 at 10:07
Written by moonsorrow1992 on 01.04.2010 at 09:05

Written by Daggon on 05.03.2010 at 04:03

Written by MétalNoir on 04.03.2010 at 19:37

:thankyou:

You're welcome
cuzzo820 - 22.07.2010 at 13:18
i like the albums and bands they chose all though megadeth surprised me the most

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

News Metal Storm Awards 2009 - Staff Picks Revealed! 4.5 08.03.2010 by BlankFile
News Metal Storm Awards 2010 Results! 4.5 01.03.2011 by Risto
News Metal Storm Awards 2009 - Now Open For Voting! 4.5 01.02.2010 by Angel_Lament
News Metal Storm Awards - Results Are In! 4.5 01.03.2012 by 3rdWorld