DragonForce has split with vocalist ZP "Zippy" Theart. The following message was posted on the band's website:

"It is with great regret that DragonForce announce a parting of the ways with singer ZP Theart. This is due to insurmountable differences of musical opinion but the rest of the band sincerely wish ZP great success with his future projects.

While the creative core members have begun writing the fifth album, they have also started a worldwide search for a new vocalist. "We are looking for a powerful melodic singer, to write a new chapter of DragonForce with us." said guitarist Herman Li.

Anyone wishing to audition for the vacant position should apply following the instructions at this web address."

Source: dragonforce.com
Band profile: DragonForce

Posted: 09.03.2010 by BudDa

Comments

Baz Anderson - 09.03.2010 at 14:46
Shame for the band, he's a fantastic singer.
I wonder who it was that wanted to keep things the same, and who wanted to change the sound in some way... no doubt that is what the "musical differences" are... Dragonforce are going stale as they are.
GT - 09.03.2010 at 15:07
Really a shame, 'cause he's a fantastic singer as Baz also said.
Justice - 09.03.2010 at 15:17
I prefered that herman lee left the band
MeloDeathViking - 09.03.2010 at 15:50
I loved his vocals, I think he really helped define their sound. I don't know how they'll sound with someone new.
DrM - 09.03.2010 at 16:14
Even though I'm not too big on them I do find myself listening to them sometimes.

For me, the two biggest talents of this band were first Sam Totman (give him credit - he composed almost every single song DragonForce was made famous for), and then ZP - which him leaving in my honest opinion is a major blow to the already fragile state this band is in after the so called "letdown" from their previous release (which I thought had great moments) and before their next which I do think would help refine their unique sound out of the PlayStation spectrum and into something worth noting and remembering.

"Due to insurmountable differences of musical opinions" two opposing conclusions can be derived from that - either he proposed a change in the band's direction and was refused (unlikely), or (and this is what I think happened) the band (i.e. Totman) wanted to alter their musical direction, and ZP was against it.

In my opinion - if ZP leaving the band is a sign of some refreshing direction coming, let it be.
JÄY - 09.03.2010 at 16:24
Holy hell
Jonnz of Steel - 09.03.2010 at 16:25
Damn, that sucks.
soadbyob - 09.03.2010 at 16:27
Now Dragonforce really does suck, ZP was the best vocalist for them.
Maelgron - 09.03.2010 at 16:37
Bad news indeed. Can't imagine DragonForce without ZP's vocals. I agree with RocknRaven on almost everything except the last part. I think is more likely that one single member (ZP) wanted a change in their sound and the others opposed rather than all of the members but him wanting to change the sound suddenly.
Good luck to ZP anyways, he is a hell of a singer!
JÄY - 09.03.2010 at 16:40
Time to recruit Daniel Heiman
Agrona - 09.03.2010 at 17:12
I kind of don't blame him; DragonForce was pretty decent until fame hit them and made them do a 360 in music production. I hope he does well in his future.
Kingface - 09.03.2010 at 17:49
Just seen this news on the front of the main website and it took me by surprise. I guess it's natural for it to have that effect when they've kept most of the same members for so many years.

It is disappointing to hear as I really do think ZP is a great vocalist and I for one have come to sort of associate his voice with Dragonforce, but it'll be interesting to see who Dragonforce get to replace him and what projects ZP will be involved with in the future.
FeskarN - 09.03.2010 at 18:02
Written by JÄY on 09.03.2010 at 16:40

Time to recruit Daniel Heiman

Indeed, that would be awesome! Anyone know what Heiman is doing nowdays?
BitterCOld - 09.03.2010 at 18:07
Good move, imo. the vocals just took too much potential guitar solo time away from songs.
DareDuck - 09.03.2010 at 18:33
I agree with Maelgron... Hard to imagine DragonForce without ZP's vocals..
JÄY - 09.03.2010 at 19:23
Written by BitterCOld on 09.03.2010 at 18:07

lol
|pyro| - 09.03.2010 at 19:29
The singer was retarded at live shows, super drunk and throwing water in the public
StratoDan1990 - 09.03.2010 at 19:39
This band has some very good songs, but most of all, I think they need to work on their album most. Their other albums are at times great, but I mean a really focused solid album. One that makes it a bit different to the others, but is still Dragonforce. And maybe the live sound a bit too... nothing they haven't heard before though.
Ellrohir - 09.03.2010 at 19:58
DF was death for some time already...
Metal Maiden - 09.03.2010 at 20:15
Maybe he wanted to switch musical style from Sega Dreamcast metal with Nintendo influences to a more modern, Xbox360/PS3 sound...or, change the instruments for live shows to wireless Guitar Hero guitars & drum kit? Or he just declared that Frets On Fire OWNZZ Guitar Hero...I guess we'll never know...

And for a poster above who said Dragonforce did "a 360 in music production" - given the number mentioned refers to degrees, and not Microsoft's game console, had they done that, they would've ended sounding in exactly the same way...
Bad English - 09.03.2010 at 20:34
YES its best news in 2010 so far hahhaha I can not be hapier seems MS members who's in True Crisides Against Euro Power Metal will be happy LOL

Its time open best wine in my collection
The Shape 1973 - 09.03.2010 at 21:06
Surprised at this. I would imagine that he wanted a change from the "take money from 12 year olds by keeping exactly the same sound, in every song" style, and the rest of the band didn't want to change.

But this band desperately need a change in direction. Keep the same sound, but please some varity.
diogobarbosa90 - 09.03.2010 at 22:31
Lol another epic fail
Lit. - 09.03.2010 at 22:48
Tha's a real shame. I loved his voice. Gonna be hard to find another like him.
BenWasHere - 10.03.2010 at 00:21
SO FAR AWAYYYY
Vitriolic Hate - 10.03.2010 at 00:23
I hope they will find a decent replacement
X5452 - 10.03.2010 at 01:51
I cant say it bothers me, im relieved, stupid egotrippin guy
Black Conundrum - 10.03.2010 at 02:11
Well that is quite a change. Hopefully Dragonforce can have more variety with their sound. There is a suggestion at a "new chapter of DragonForce", but hopefully that chapter will not be "the second phase of DragonForce part II" or something of that nature.
Doc Godin - 10.03.2010 at 02:39
Written by BitterCOld on 09.03.2010 at 18:07

Hahahahaha.

It sounds like it was a bad break-up covered by soft language. I really hope this explodes into a nice drama. At least that way I derive some pleasure from Dragonforce.
ruffio - 10.03.2010 at 02:43
Written by |pyro| on 09.03.2010 at 19:29

Throwing water on the people in the front is actually pretty nice in the venues that boil... Just saying.
Apart from that you're probably right, I've never seen them live but of the people I've talked to that have- 1 in 10 thought they had a good live show. (Now that I've said that, I'm waiting for everyone to say how great their live shows are)
MetalDoomMaster - 10.03.2010 at 03:24
Still a band full of good musicians making shitty music in my opinion, but I'm not a huge fan of this kind of power metal.
Arian Totalis - 10.03.2010 at 05:38
Lolololololol goooodbye ZP Theart. Not to offend anyone but imo he was the biggest drawback to Dragonforce (Well that and you get bored after hearing half an album)
insanity.peppers - 10.03.2010 at 10:00
NOOOOOOOO
LeChron James - 10.03.2010 at 10:49
Looks like Zippy is zippin out that bitch. RECRUIT NUCLEAR HOLOCAUSTO.
Tursti - 10.03.2010 at 17:32
ZP was the carrying factor in DF. This sucks.
YoreLore - 10.03.2010 at 18:36
Lol good singer? destinyyyyyyyy, freeeeeeeee, meeeeeee. He has been awful the three times I have seen this terrible band live. I wonder what the creative differences were; herman - lets copy our last 4 albums. zp - cant we try something new. herman - you are out the band
Tech_Guy - 11.03.2010 at 04:55
He was a good singer. The only thing that truly sucks about this band is the lyrics.
prk - 11.03.2010 at 13:38
Am i the only one that thought this guy was a terrible singer?
treptolemus - 11.03.2010 at 16:52
They need new lungs. Immediately.
If they find a substitute ever, they have a lot of practice to do.

Money, smells in the distance...
AiwiAstwihad - 11.03.2010 at 19:50
That's bad...I really liked ZP's vocals.
Lord_Regnier - 13.03.2010 at 01:44
Written by prk on 11.03.2010 at 13:38

Am i the only one that thought this guy was a terrible singer?

I wonder why so many people here seem to like him. His vocals sound unbearably gay and cheesy.
Silent_wolfer - 20.03.2010 at 01:17
This sucks, Hope they find a great singer like or close to ZP.

News Darkseed - Part Ways With Vocalist, Replacement Announced 7 05.01.2012 by Milena
News Deeds Of Flesh - Part Ways With Vocalist 7 24.07.2012 by a MasT
News Candlemass - Part Ways With Vocalist, Replacement Announced 7 02.06.2012 by Arcticus
News Vision Divine - Part Ways With Vocalist 7 28.04.2008 by Rusher
News Defeated Sanity - Part Ways With Vocalist, Announce Replacement 7 29.01.2011 by Troy Killjoy