KNAC, Blabbermouth, The Gauntlet and many other sources claim that Peter Steele of the New York Gothic Metal outfit Type O Negative has passed away on Wednesday 14 April 2010 due to cardiac arrest.

Peter Steele, also known as frontman of the band Carnivore, has already died once as a publicity stunt back in 2005. Due to this, we are not yet going to believe in the rumors of his passing this time around. We'll keep you updated as we find out more.

If he's dead, that sucks. If not, fool me once...

UPDATED

Sadly, Peter Steele's death has now been confirmed to us by an SPV representative. Blabbermouth and even the band's official website also contain confirmation.

Peter Steele is dead at 48. His cause of death is not yet confirmed. There are a lot of fans of the band amongst Metal Storm staffers and users and all of us definitely feel devastated by Pete's untimely passing. You still had a few great albums in you, Peter. It is a shame we will never hear them.

UPDATE

Here's the official word from the band:

"It is with great sadness that we inform you that Type O Negative front man, bassist, and our band mate, Peter Steele passed away last night of what appears to be heart failure.

Ironically Peter had been enjoying a long period of sobriety and improved health and was imminently due to begin writing and recording new music for our follow up to Dead Again released in 2007.

The official cause of death has yet to be determined pending autopsy results. The funeral services will be private and memorial services will be announced at a future date. We'd like to share our thoughts and those of Peter's family below. We are truly saddened to lose our friend and appreciate the tremendous outpouring today from around the world."

Source: knac.com
Band profile: Type O Negative

Posted: 16.04.2010 by jupitreas

Comments page 2 of 2

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 [2]

SatyriconChick - 15.04.2010 at 22:45
I just found this out on another forum about a half-hour ago. How horrible and sad. A friend of mine met Pete twice, and from what I heard, he was a really nice guy. I never had a chance to meet him, but I did catch Type O Negative at Nassau Coliseum back in '96. They put out some great music. R.I.P. Pete - you will be missed!
JPT - 15.04.2010 at 22:52
Rest in Peace Bassbro..
Grimskallen - 15.04.2010 at 23:48
Sad news indeed.... he passed away too young....
Opethian - 15.04.2010 at 23:57
Why is everyone dying ? Terrible news of course, may he RIP ... how sad
Jiri - 16.04.2010 at 00:03
Jesus Christ. Unexpected! RIP Pete.
mrrampage - 16.04.2010 at 00:03
R.I.P m/
..ExoTeaR.. - 16.04.2010 at 00:26
See you on the otherside you fucken weirdo. RIP
Dominus - 16.04.2010 at 00:27
Roadrunner Records has commented on the passing of Peter Steele, iconic frontman of Brooklyn goth-metal legends Type O Negative , who passed away at 6pm yesterday (April 14th) due to heart failure.

It reads as follows:

With a sense of humor blacker than the clothing he wore, the sarcastic messages in songs like 'Set Me On Fire', 'I Don't Want to Be Me' and an album entitled Life is Killing Me once viewed as darkly tongue-in-cheek now take on a more gloomy meaning as we remember the man who wrote them. SVP of A&R Monte Conner, who originally signed Type O Negative to Roadrunner Records in 1989 puts it best, saying:

"We have lost several Roadrunner artists over the years but this is a biggie - this one hurts the most, not just because Peter was a great, great guy, but he figures so prominently in the history of this company (our first Gold album, our first radio success). He was a tortured soul for most of his life and certainly for the entire time we all knew him. Let's hope he is in a better place."

Pete Steele was surely a man who towered over everyone he met, not just in his physical stature but in his personality riddled with humor and heartache. His dramatic baritone voice carried foreboding lyrics about death and despair over electronic chaos and bottom-heavy guitars, proving to become not only the band's signature, but a sound unmatched ever since Type O's inception. With profound distaste and disgust for both humanity and political correctness, Type O Negative never changed with the times - the times changed with them. Marked by sharp wit and bouts of gloom 'n depression, Peter Steele and the Drab Four rewarded their listeners with what can only be expected from the Brooklyn doom squad: A nihilistic world view, anthems of sex and death, and a blinding torch of well-placed fury.

VP of Promotions Mark Abramson recalls his time spent working with Peter and Type O, saying: "I remember getting the demo tape of Repulsion (soon to be renamed Type O Negative) and feeling this visceral outpouring of rage in a way that very few records hit me. We went on to be friends in addition to my being one of their biggest fans, and I worked the records with a passion. Hell, I even sold shirts for them in some early shows when they needed help! When we were going to take Type O to commercial radio I felt it like a life mission and for the 2 years of the Bloody Kisses campaign we changed so much -- we helped take this label to a new level, gave them and us first Gold records, helped expand boundaries at the soon-to-be-named format of Active Rock radio and introduced the world to a truly unique band. I remember being ridiculed at the Gold plaque presentation picture that I "could breathe now" as I was puffed-chest proud, and responding that I actually couldn't! Traveling with Peter to radio stations was always an adventure and fun; Peter was a rock star, but he didn't know it, which made it so much better! I have so many great stories and memories of traveling the road with them but most would only mean something to me. Cities and shows flood back to me now: Ft Myers… Lubbock… Toledo… crazy nights for sure! We were an important part of each other's lives. Peter was a unique person with his own issues but they were part of what made him Peter Steele and the later years were not his best years but he was a good person, with a good heart. The only person I have ever known him to hurt was himself. There are so few bands like Type O and very few personalities like Peter. I will forever love his music and his art, and cherish the time we had together. Farewell my friend - be well and be happy."

Kathie Reed Merritt, Sr. Director of Digital /Physical Sales -West Coast, comments, "The news of Peter Steele's passing is very sad and my heart goes out to the men of Type O and all the fans who loved and idolized Peter. He was truly and quite literally larger than life. He was everything you would ever want in a Rock Star: a great, off-color sense of humor, a fabulous persona and deep voice that would just melt you heart. And a musical talent beyond words. His loss is so tragic, and I will always be grateful for the education that he and his band gave to some of us at the label . They really helped mold who we are as people in this crazy music business. I spent the better part of three years on and off the road with Type O Negative in the 90's and love those 4 men like family. Unlike many bands, these guys let us be part of their world, a very unique thing in this day and age. Peter, rest in peace, a part of me will forever be 'Your Druidess.' Here is a video of the band talking about their most memorable show - I would say for myself and Mark Abramson - that was a night we both would never forget!"

From everyone at Roadrunner Records, we offer our condolences to Peter's family and friends, and hope you'll join us in listening to some classic Type O today in honor of a true talent and a Roadrunner legend.
owl - 16.04.2010 at 01:09
This is one of those news we didn't expect to hear so soon. I'm still taking it in...
Steele was one of the most charismatic frontmen ever, along with a fabulous songwriter. It'll take a while for another one like him to come along... if ever.

May he rest in his own kind of peace.
tieka - 16.04.2010 at 01:24
R.I.P Peter Steele.
Vitriolic Hate - 16.04.2010 at 01:27
RIP
Black Conundrum - 16.04.2010 at 02:08
Peter Steele if officially dead. I have no reason to doubt it now. I have not listened to this band recently, but as a matter of fact, I was just thinking about them today or yesterday or both, more specifically about the frontman Peter Steele. A mental snapshot of him in a video interview was on my mind. What crummy news. This sucks. RIP Peter Steele.
Cah - 16.04.2010 at 02:15
Really really sad.. if it's true....

R.I.P Unfortunatly...
:'(
Mother_North - 16.04.2010 at 02:22
"We're gonna miss really miss you"

I only regret haven't seen the band live
BlankFile - 16.04.2010 at 02:31
Damn this is really sad news. He had an unique voice. RIP.
nehrodwarf - 16.04.2010 at 03:20
RIP

well at other side...

vahalla got a new bass player soon god will gather a good band, they have chuck schuldiner, dimmu bogir and now peter steele
Daggon - 16.04.2010 at 04:13
Written by Opethian on 15.04.2010 at 23:57

Why is everyone dying ? Terrible news of course, may he RIP ... how sad

People dies, it's just a part of life, still this is a sad news.
Bitter Dawn - 16.04.2010 at 04:24
That's surprising, certainly didn't expect him to kick the bucket so early.
LeChron James - 16.04.2010 at 05:34
"Everything Dies". take it up with the gods Steele, give 'em hell.

side note: his playgirl cover is gonna be worth MILLIONS.
Zamoth - 16.04.2010 at 05:47
Rest In Peace Peter, you will be missed.
Sleeping Dragon - 16.04.2010 at 09:50
Yes, everyone dies... it's the finiteness of life that makes it worth living.

May he rest eternally...
terrorist - 16.04.2010 at 10:32
BOGA MU JEBEM!!!!! R.I.P. Peter..................
Thorhalla - 16.04.2010 at 10:37
Jooooooooooooj R.I.P Pete :(:(
Chaosweaver - 16.04.2010 at 10:47
RIP Pete.

Everything Dies.
Arcticus - 16.04.2010 at 13:08
RIP Pete Steele...along with Sabbath, Type O were the very first metal band I got into, at the tender age of 10, so there are some very special memories involved for me (I'm 24 now), and I was deeply saddened to read this news. His music will never die...although it won't sound quite the same anymore. Hail and farewell my friend.
joco - 16.04.2010 at 18:26
He had awesome voice... i don't like type o , but i always sad if a great musician dies:(:(
Umideath - 16.04.2010 at 18:55
RIP Peter
Paradox0 - 16.04.2010 at 19:23
Very sad. He was kind of a weird cult metal icon, atleast I always saw him that way. RIP and enjoy exploring the afterlife.
HolyandFallen - 16.04.2010 at 19:36
Dead again RIP Peter
Martin_metal - 16.04.2010 at 20:41
R.I.P Peter...
Ph0eNiX - 16.04.2010 at 22:04
Wow.....

With All Honor, Mr. Steele
Mega Wolf - 16.04.2010 at 23:59
Dammit. I just found it out today.. Ruined my week.
How I wish we would see someday soon some message like: "Hahaha we're kidding, he's fine!" on Type O Negative's website... Such a great lost. Love the band.
Rip Peter Steele, one of the best musicians of all time. Keep on rocking forever.
Boxcar Willy - 17.04.2010 at 00:43
I've never heard ToN but now im going to... RIP
wh1te603 - 17.04.2010 at 01:09
R.I.P. Peter, we'll miss you.
MightyFuckinThor - 17.04.2010 at 02:34
Ironic seems to be an understatement... I'll admit that I'm not a huge fan of Type O's last couple albums, aside of a few songs, but nonetheless, it really saddens me a lot, to hear about another hero I've had since I was a teenager has fallen. I remember the first song performed by Type O Negative that I heard, their cover of 'Black Sabbath', and I think about how I instantly thought that these guys were very unique, dark, and twisted... Then a little later, I picked up a copy of October Rust, not even having heard any of their other music. I came to know then, that they could not only be dark and gloomy, but also romantic and a little more accessible, musically speaking. Then I got into their earlier stuff, as well as what I could find of Carnivore, which I also fell in love with... Probably my favorite song, to date, is still Gravitational Constant.
But here I am, talking about the band... Let me specify... Pete's voice was probably the main element that drew me in to become a fan of Type O Negative... The man had an amazing vocal range, and on top of that, was a very accomplished bassist.
After seeing video interviews, a few months ago, of Peter and the other band members, I was pretty disappointed to hear that the band had broken up, but also saw them to be taking it very reasonably, and I admire Josh Silver's departure to set forth down the road of becoming a paramedic. What I also saw as admirable was Pete coming clean about alcohol and substance abuse, and that he was (as sincerely as he could be) visibly regretful of his actions that pushed him apart from Josh, Kenny and Johnny.
I want to say also, that I have recently lost a band member, as well as a great friend, as well, and I think I may have at least an inkling of understanding for what some people are feeling about Peter, right now, and I hope that all of the people who were close to him, or at least admired his work, as I do, will be alright. It's a shock, after he turned his life around and was getting healthier, and hopefully, we can all learn what taking a lot of risks with drugs can do to our bodies.
Klavikula - 17.04.2010 at 04:37
I was looking for new record news from Type O and i found this sad notice!
Type O is one of my favorite band I listen they since 15 years ago.
This news are very sad, a huge lost for de metal world!:erm:
Morteza K. - 17.04.2010 at 10:18
oh God! RIP.
SETHULHU - 18.04.2010 at 16:20
God damn it man ... wtf ... this is so unfair ... shit ....

R.I.P. DAMNIT
Nyxgrinder - 18.04.2010 at 20:32
Everything dies......

LeoBozzano - 19.04.2010 at 04:59
Peter dies, but Keith Richards are steel. There is no justice at all.
Tmick - 19.04.2010 at 09:33
I found out the news Friday. Tears were definately shed. Saying goodbye to one ( Type O) of the pillars on which my love for this music is based is not an easy thing. I was never one of the "goth" types; Just an impressionable kid that was pulled in by some very well thought out, beautiful music that I could, in a way, relate to.
Life is a desert sometimes and all we have are mirages to keep us sane. Whether they be good or bad is largely of our own choosing. You were never alone. Thanks for the ride man. RIP
Holy Man - 19.04.2010 at 18:04
Rest In Peace brother... we'll miss you.
chloem13 - 21.09.2011 at 21:57
Found out the day he died and it still makes me cry when I read about his death
para toda mi vida, I'll love Peter and T.O.N.
I'm just so thankful I got to see my favorite band live before he passed on

Pages: 1 [2]

News Type O Negative - Peter Steele Authorized Biography In The Works 9 23.01.2013 by Amatsu Mikaboshi
News Type Of Negative - European Tour Dates 6 12.03.2007 by Bad English