Avenged Sevenfold have announced Dream Theater drummer Mike Portnoy will join them on a US tour later this year.

"After being so kind and caring to help us in the studio, the rumors are in fact true and Mike Portnoy will indeed be helping us on the upcoming Uproar tour later this year. We hope to see you all out on the road. We are very grateful to Mike for dedicating his time and talent to help us get back on the road so we can be where we need to be the most which is with our fans."

Commented Portnoy: "After having had such an amazing experience recording my drum tracks for the new Avenged Sevenfold album, we all knew it would be awesome if I'd be able to do some touring with the band after its release...

Although I wish I could stay on board with Avenged Sevenfold in a more permanent capacity, the reality is that I am commited to Dream Theater as my main priority (that is my baby afterall!), and I will need to resume work with Dream Theater to start a new album at some point in 2011. However, I will be able to join my brothers in Avenged Sevenfold for at least the duration of their touring throughout 2010... and hopefully this will give them the time to continue to heal and get comfortable back on the road.

You can look at me like the band's "rebound drummer" to buy them some time until they are comfortable and ready to make a commitment to somebody new for full-time relationship in their future! In the meantime, I am real excited to hit the road with the boys... to bring my drumming from their new album to life on stage and to honor The Rev with all of their older material."

People who care about A7X live dates should visit the band's MySpace.

Source: blogs.myspace.com
Band profile: Avenged Sevenfold

Posted: 06.05.2010 by BudDa

Comments

Warman - 06.05.2010 at 18:39
I think all DT fans just said: "W... T... F..."

Oh and I love the sentence: "People who care about A7X live dates..."
BORT - 06.05.2010 at 19:02
Dream Theatre is missing the Iron Maiden concert in Winnipeg because of this..... I hate Avenge Sevenfold..
Paradox0 - 06.05.2010 at 19:43
I think the picture speaks a 1000 words
Clintagram - 06.05.2010 at 19:57
I think people need to just quit bitching. It's sad to see Metalstorm begin to get permeated with elitists like Metal-Archives. This is a great example of humanity and an extreme act of kindness and dedication. Maybe I'm partial to Portnoy, but I don't even like Avenged Sevenfold but I think they're a good group of guys. I mean their drummer and one of their best friends died and Mike is stepping in with true class.

Perhaps I'm ranting but get a life.
Warman - 06.05.2010 at 20:17
Written by Clintagram on 06.05.2010 at 19:57

Perhaps I'm ranting but get a life.

Come on dude, I'm not saying anything about their dead drummer and we have to be able to hate some bands.
Clintagram - 06.05.2010 at 20:22
Written by Warman on 06.05.2010 at 20:17

No, you can dislike bands but it gets old talking trash about them in situations like this. Think a little.
Warman - 06.05.2010 at 20:23
Written by Clintagram on 06.05.2010 at 20:22

No it doesn't, that's your opinion.
brapp32 - 06.05.2010 at 20:30
What's the big deal if he plays with A7X??
Legendary - 06.05.2010 at 20:39
Written by Clintagram on 06.05.2010 at 19:57

Perhaps I'm ranting but get a life.

Agreed
Dark Blood - 06.05.2010 at 21:27
I gotta agree to Clint W. As much as I could hate a band, I could never judge their members in such situation.. after all its Mike's decision, and I gotta admit it takes a lot of guts to do this and "disappoint" some fans, and for that he has my respect (even more).
Lit. - 06.05.2010 at 22:04
God, you people need to get off your fucking high horses.
I for one am looking forward to seeing how this is gonna turn out. I'm a big fan of A7X, and I hope they stick with their City of Evil and self-titled style.
Maybe, if I'm lucky, I'll get to see them live.
Iriki - 06.05.2010 at 22:10
Written by Paradox0 on 06.05.2010 at 19:43

I think the picture speaks a 1000 words

Somewhere, like a Scene from a memory...
Culty - 06.05.2010 at 22:45
Written by Warman on 06.05.2010 at 20:17

Written by Clintagram on 06.05.2010 at 19:57

Perhaps I'm ranting but get a life.

I agree with Warman. You really should calm down. Nobody even said anything all that bad about the band.
Introspekrieg - 06.05.2010 at 22:57
I don't care... I hope a7x fans will enjoy his drumming, but I have no desire to listen to this band whatsoever.
Doc Godin - 06.05.2010 at 23:01
Written by Culty on 06.05.2010 at 22:45

Written by Warman on 06.05.2010 at 20:17

Written by Clintagram on 06.05.2010 at 19:57

Perhaps I'm ranting but get a life.

Not yet.

I could make fun of Avenged Sevenfold all day, dead drummer or not. I just find it funny (yet fairly typical) that their career seems to be picking up since one of them croaked.
LudaChris86 - 06.05.2010 at 23:03
Written by Warman on 06.05.2010 at 18:39

Oh and I love the sentence: "People who care about A7X live dates..."

that cracked me up too
Ancient Ruin - 06.05.2010 at 23:28
Gay
Culty - 06.05.2010 at 23:41
@Doc i mean sure i could make fun of them too haha. But i just find it strange that he got worked up over, so far, nothing.
Got Mayhem? - 07.05.2010 at 00:35
"Although I wish I could stay on board with Avenged Sevenfold in a more permanent capacity"

No you don't....do you?
Clintagram - 07.05.2010 at 01:42
Written by Culty on 06.05.2010 at 23:41

Not worked up, I'd just like to keep Metalstorm tasteful. I just try to appreciate this type of brotherhood in Metal.
Black Conundrum - 07.05.2010 at 01:45
That's cool. Mike Portnoy drumming for Avenged Sevenfold is a nice concept. I don't enjoy what I've heard by Avenged Sevenfold, but this is cool regardless.
Vitriolic Hate - 07.05.2010 at 02:35
I wonder how the DT fanboys should react!?
Culty - 07.05.2010 at 03:09
Written by Clintagram on 07.05.2010 at 01:42

Written by Culty on 06.05.2010 at 23:41

Fair enough good sir
JunN_Vai - 07.05.2010 at 04:17
And yes. For all, be brothers in METAL..... no such a sh*t words...
Devilspeed - 07.05.2010 at 05:05
Seems rather fitting as new Dream Theater sounds just like Avenged Sevenfold.
Murder - 07.05.2010 at 05:58
Drama mode on lol

Nosurper - 07.05.2010 at 06:05
Horrible
Nosurper - 07.05.2010 at 06:07
What a dumb fuck. shows you whag college is worth
DayFly - 07.05.2010 at 09:42
Written by Clintagram on 06.05.2010 at 19:57

Perhaps I'm ranting but get a life.

Well, showing off one's sensitivity is about as annoying as the true metal crowd but I pretty much feel the same way. People who are really upset about what Portney's doing should report to MA (and stop retarding this site).
STEELER - 07.05.2010 at 11:52
I give a shit x a7x fuck them...
Lord_Regnier - 07.05.2010 at 13:44
Written by Clintagram on 07.05.2010 at 01:42

I just try to appreciate this type of brotherhood in Metal.

I hate when people talk of metal as some kind of brotherhood. For me, metal is a way to express individuality and that you 'fucking don't care' about lots of things, despise the established order, and don't need anyone to think for yourself.
Metal is a way to distance you from the crowd, from those you hate. And, personnally, I hate humans in general because the human nature is fundamentally corrupted, selfish, untrustworthy, spineless and easily manipulated by those in charge.

So, trying to make metal a brotherhood or whatever is promoting exactly what real and genuine metal music stood against for decades: herd mentality.
YoreLore - 07.05.2010 at 13:54
"Mike Portnoy - Touring With Avenged Sevenfold"
---
A good headling for April 1st.
JÄY - 07.05.2010 at 16:22
Written by Lord_Regnier on 07.05.2010 at 13:44

Written by Clintagram on 07.05.2010 at 01:42

I just try to appreciate this type of brotherhood in Metal.

i think thats sad
metal is absolutely a brotherhood ... and a strong one
hadriel - 07.05.2010 at 16:39
I'm more of a DT fan than I am A7X, but I really respect what Mike is doing to try to get this band back on their feet. Definitely isn't easy after losing a band member/friend at such a young age. The fact that Portnoy is willing to help out a band like A7X who produce a wildly different style of metal (I'd even question whether much of their material really is 'metal') shows his strong character and care for other artists and the music community. I imagine he's a fairly busy guy and I have that much more respect for him now. People can bash all they want, laugh all they want (I thought it was a joke at first too), but after reading and thinking it over I couldn't feel better about Portnoy and A7X. A7X's last album was bad, but I enjoyed some tracks on City of Evil and their older material. Portnoy is a genius and I think it will be interesting to see what he can do for this band for their next album.
Clintagram - 07.05.2010 at 19:03
Written by Lord_Regnier on 07.05.2010 at 13:44

Written by Clintagram on 07.05.2010 at 01:42

I just try to appreciate this type of brotherhood in Metal.

Spoken like a true misanthrope. Well, you'd better leave Metalstorm then because it's full of people like me who enjoy life and Metal, often together.
UnknownCheese - 07.05.2010 at 22:03
There's no "brotherhood of metal". You're not suddenly "connected" to everyone who enjoys metal because you share a common interest.

It's the type of thing people rag on Juggalos for, thinking they're some sort of family because they listen to rapping clowns.

As for Portnoy and A7X, they both suck.
Lord_Regnier - 08.05.2010 at 00:22
Written by UnknownCheese on 07.05.2010 at 22:03

Indeed. And surely not when the only contact you have with those people is on the web.
All this is just an illusion for delusional people.
Dane Train - 08.05.2010 at 02:43
Who is Mike Portnoy? And what is the big deal?
Culty - 08.05.2010 at 02:56
Written by redbackrecordz on 08.05.2010 at 01:24

You lot are all a bunch of fuckn losers! If you were any sort of metal fan or musician you would all be excited that there is gonna be a new Avenged sevenfold album and that Mike Portnoy is gonna be involved. They are all amazing musicians even if you dont like there older music. This is not crappy old Hip Hop that any dumbarse can write!! This is METAL and all REAL metal fans stick together through all the shit we have to put with so GET OVER YOURSELVES!
R.I.P the REV

Why are you calling people losers? REAL metal fans can have an opinion and some of them happen to not like A7X. why throw hip hop into this?? There's some pretty good hip hop but thats another discussion.
INÆRIS - 08.05.2010 at 04:54
Written by Clintagram on 06.05.2010 at 19:57

Perhaps I'm ranting but get a life.

I agree completely.
INÆRIS - 08.05.2010 at 04:58
Written by JÄY on 07.05.2010 at 16:22

Written by Lord_Regnier on 07.05.2010 at 13:44

Written by Clintagram on 07.05.2010 at 01:42

I just try to appreciate this type of brotherhood in Metal.

i think thats sad
metal is absolutely a brotherhood ... and a strong one

Absolutely. Just look at Dimebag Darrell. He was one of the nicest guys ever, he'd give ya the shirt off his back. My buddy spent the night at his house once when he didn't have a place to stay.
JÄY - 08.05.2010 at 05:41
Written by Dane Train on 08.05.2010 at 02:43

Who is Mike Portnoy? And what is the big deal?

hes the mother fukin drummer for mother fuckin dream theater
Lord_Regnier - 08.05.2010 at 07:14
Written by INÆRIS on 08.05.2010 at 04:58

Written by JÄY on 07.05.2010 at 16:22

Written by Lord_Regnier on 07.05.2010 at 13:44

Written by Clintagram on 07.05.2010 at 01:42

I just try to appreciate this type of brotherhood in Metal.

i think thats sad
metal is absolutely a brotherhood ... and a strong one

And I would do the same for people I like. I'm a very generous man in life.

But it has nothing to do with the so-called brotherhood of metal.
A little question: If metal is indeed some kind of brotherhood (something in which I don't believe at all), then why do you see more people flaming others than people being kind and respectful, more enemies than friends?
For me, the brotherhood concept is only an idea created by medias, some bands that use it as a marketing tool, and people who need to belong to a group at all costs.
Some people even go as far as to consider metal as a religion and that is even more ridiculous.
Clintagram - 08.05.2010 at 10:21
Perhaps brotherhood was the wrong word. How about cross-cultural sodality? Problem solved.
BloodTears - 08.05.2010 at 15:32
Who cares? lol
Kap'N Korrupt - 08.05.2010 at 21:04
Well, a brotherhood is a social organization...take every metal scene for example: the Gothemburg scene, Bay Area thrash, Floridian death metal, etc, etc...all of these people decided to connect together because they enjoyed making music and they all shared a common interest...in all of these scenes, it became a social organization...the individual became an important thing because bands were borrowing members from other bands...and yes, you should care about all of this because it is in the very essence of social organization that allows the easy transfer of musicians through the network of brotherhood for these bands to be able to swap back and forth during the time of need...

Brotherhood is a very important thing in music, period...
Lord_Regnier - 08.05.2010 at 23:26
Written by Guest on 08.05.2010 at 21:04

Brotherhood is a very important thing in music, period...

Well, that's your opinion and I don't share it.
Also, switching musicians between bands is generally not a good thing, imo. It contributes to make bands sound even more like each other, instead of having their own sound.
Kap'N Korrupt - 09.05.2010 at 00:36
@Lord_Regnier: Well, that's ok...but switching musicians around is something that happens frequently, man...I don't even know if you like the idea of Mike Portnoy touring with Avenged Sevenfold or not, or if you care...which was the whole point of the thread to begin with

So, if you hate all humans, then you must hate yourself?

Written by Dane Train on 08.05.2010 at 02:43

Who is Mike Portnoy? And what is the big deal?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Totally can see that as the reaction from the typical Avenged Sevenfold fan...
Lord_Regnier - 09.05.2010 at 03:39
Written by Guest on 09.05.2010 at 00:36

So, if you hate all humans, then you must hate yourself?

I'm neither a fan of Dream Theater nor of Avenged Sevenfold. Though I must say I consider DT immensely superior, musically speaking. I don't mind at all if Portnoy is touring with them.
And I think it's quite generous from him to do it.

As for hating humans: I hate lots of people but I also like lots of them.
DragonFireMetal - 10.05.2010 at 19:44
Hmm.... I never got the chance to see a7x live with the rev R.I.P. unfortunately but since I'm a fan of both DT and a7x I'm definitely going to see them now , and it's not like MP is becoming a permanent member or anything (like he ever would because DT is the better band by far), so I'm not that upset at this.

News Avenged Sevenfold - Enter Studio With Drummer Mike Portnoy 10.5 20.02.2010 by Locke
News Mike Portnoy - Leaves Avenged Sevenfold 9 17.12.2010 by INÆRIS
News Avenged Sevenfold - New Video Online 6 06.07.2014 by cossaisVendeurs
News Mike Portnoy - Live Shows With Beatles Cover Band 5.5 11.01.2011 by The Shape 1973
News Mike Portnoy - Working On New Project With Symphony X Singer 5.5 04.02.2011 by BudDa