According to desmoinesregister.com, police are investigating the death of Slipknot's bass guitarist Paul Gray at a local hotel.

They report:

"Paul Dedrick Gray, 38, of Johnston was found dead at approximately 10:50 a.m. today by an employee at TownePlace Suites, 8800 Northpark Drive, police said.

There was no evidence of foul play, police said, but the investigation is ongoing. An autopsy is scheduled for Tuesday. Toxicology tests will be done."

Paul Gray and his wife were expecting a child, according to friends of Gray's. Gray had a history of drug abuse and was arrested on drug charges in June 2003.

Source: desmoinesregister.com
Band profile: Slipknot

Posted: 25.05.2010 by Baz Anderson

Comments page 2 of 3

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 [2] 3

Øyvind - 25.05.2010 at 09:46
R.I.P. Paul Gray, people please stop dying, at least for some time
.Sound - 25.05.2010 at 10:10
May Metal Massacre Month continues.. May you rest in peace Paul Gray.
Damnated_Soul - 25.05.2010 at 10:35
Oh God :O
Umideath - 25.05.2010 at 10:47
Oh , Stop Dying :!!!!
SexyCat_1113 - 25.05.2010 at 11:25
OMG...:(
RafaRata - 25.05.2010 at 11:32
So sad... I love Slipknot
R.I.P. Paul Gray.
CheaTer - 25.05.2010 at 11:46
R.I.P.
Slayer666 - 25.05.2010 at 12:10
What the heck is going on here?
Omfg, May 2010 truly is a metal slaughterfest. Am I the only one who thinks this may not be a coincidence?
R.I.P. Paul, I'm glad I at least got a chance to see you live.
Slyfang - 25.05.2010 at 12:13
Well the guy was pretty hard on drugs
MrSeveN - 25.05.2010 at 12:37
R.I.P Paul & Thanks for your Amazing Music... we will never forget you <3
Met@1lurg - 25.05.2010 at 12:41
I'm not interesting in Slipknot, i don't like their masks, but death of musician is sadness...
The Night Wisher - 25.05.2010 at 13:05
Although I am not a fan for either Dio or Slipknot but when you hear that a musician has died, it's really sad.
When I read about Death's front man story I was really sad, cuz it's tragic also...
R.I.P. .....for all of them............
Warman - 25.05.2010 at 13:35
Another one? Who'll be next?
joejordison666 - 25.05.2010 at 13:40
I say condolences
Derelict Earth - 25.05.2010 at 14:07
I wish this month stopped sucking this much ... I don't like Slipknot but all these death are really saddening ...
Uirapuru - 25.05.2010 at 14:11
Written by Daggon on 25.05.2010 at 05:04

Nah, don't need to be sarcastic, I mean, someone's death is a terrible thing, but really, who's this guy? I mean, did he change the world of heavy metal music or something, did he leave any influence in this genre? I don't think so, and if he did, it won't be as big as the influence of people like Dio or Peter "Steele" who also died this month, still, this news will get more coverage because of the hordes of silly fanboys of the band, oh well, I don't mean to have no respect for someone who is dead so, R.I.P. Slipknot's bassist, whatever your name is...

I know, I know.. It's just that, this concern is unfounded. There is no way the death of Slipknot's bassist cause him to overcome Dio in musical importance.

But that does not mean that Slipknot fans will not be touched by his passing. A matter of compare deaths and regret that the consequences of one will outlast the other is just useless...

I understand what you mean, it's sad that the death of a huge metal influence as Dio will not be as perceived as a bassist of a nu-metal band. But its a useless complain, since all of this doesnt really matter at all.
Prisoner - 25.05.2010 at 14:34
RIP paul....I woke up with this news this morning and holy fuck, what the hell is happening to people...everyone I like is dying!
Eddie Misery - 25.05.2010 at 15:03
Damn. I'm not a Slipknot fan, but that still sucks. :/
Kennoth - 25.05.2010 at 15:05
Jesus christ, I can't believe you guys. And this Death Shadow guy sure did troll the shit out of this topic. Just leave it a rest would ya? A (metal) musician died yesterday, can't you leave all your bullshit for another topic?

R.I.P. Paul.
Edmund Fogg - 25.05.2010 at 15:05
It seems like we have a Metal Musician Serial Killer on the loose.Someone please stop this guy.The death of a musician is sad but now slipknot can easily replace him with one of the useless guy that jump around on Stage.
thunder_lord - 25.05.2010 at 15:07
R.I.P Paul Gray
let your soul rest in peace
you will be in our hearts and memories forever
jasper-d - 25.05.2010 at 15:21
Well at least the Westboro Baptist Church has some interesting shit to do this month
matos - 25.05.2010 at 15:31
So sad when 1/9 of the band dies. Sorry i had to...
well if it was an overdose, he at least had a nice death
4death4 - 25.05.2010 at 16:33
Dark Blood - 25.05.2010 at 17:52
Jesus.. This is really a dark month in metal. What in the hell is going on here?..
R.I.P. Paul Gray
Daydream Nation - 25.05.2010 at 18:18
Written by matos on 25.05.2010 at 15:31

So sad when 1/9 of the band dies. Sorry i had to...
well if it was an overdose, he at least had a nice death

That's funny, but insensitive.
Anyway, if I listened to Slipknot, I'm sure I would be more at a loss. Rest in Peace.
Elodie Artour - 25.05.2010 at 18:45
Wtf?! I'm not a fan of Slipknot but seriously, what the hell is going on with rock and metal musicians these days?! I can't stand such news any more!

RIP, Paul!
Mr. Doctor - 25.05.2010 at 18:48
Dude... This may is horrible o___O
Jujitsu-man - 25.05.2010 at 18:57
I don't like Slipknot, they suck. Also, I don't think this guy, whoever was he, was very important, even for his own band (9 members, WTF).

Well, a bassist has died, very sad, rest in peace. But he died because he was pretty hard on drugs, as far as I know, so he was looking for an end like this, he knew this would happen someday if he continues the same way.

Maybe his death will teach us, one more time, that we shouldn't do drugs. Metal is not drugs. Being a professional musician is hard and serious.
Uirapuru - 25.05.2010 at 19:24
Thank god we have professor Jiujitsu here to teach us about life.
JD - 25.05.2010 at 21:16
No ones like slipknot okyy we get it!! This news not about who like's slipknot and who doesn't! So plz don't act like a fucken jerk! R.I.P paul gray
brapp32 - 25.05.2010 at 21:17
Nobody cares that you don't like slipknot.
In Bone Factory - 25.05.2010 at 21:26
R.I.P. My Condolences.
Don Martin - 25.05.2010 at 21:43
I liked them alot as a kid... Now I don't listen to them anymore, but still...
May is slithering every great metal musician on the planet here! It's also quite sad he had a kid coming, poor child.
Uirapuru - 25.05.2010 at 21:47
Written by Don Martin on 25.05.2010 at 21:43

I liked them alot as a kid... Now I don't listen to them anymore, but still...

When you were a kid? You mean when you were around 10?

14 years I had barely started to separate metal from rock.. XD..
magatouve - 25.05.2010 at 22:08
Written by Mikyz on 25.05.2010 at 09:41

Even though I'm not a fan at all, I sincerely hope you R.I.P Paul, even if I have no idea what your face looks like.

I guess we would sympathise more with his death if we knew his face. Of course, I feel sorry for his death anyway but somehow I feel if I knew his real face it would be easier to identify with his tragedy. Sometimes hiding the true faces can enhance the image of the band, but in some odd cases, like death, maybe not!
Anyway, RIP...
Haddonfield - 25.05.2010 at 22:19
Whatever anyone thinks of Slipknot as a band, it doesn't deter the fact they are cool fan orientated guys, This is sad news, RIP.
Jujitsu-man - 25.05.2010 at 23:55
Written by Uirapuru on 25.05.2010 at 19:24

Thank god we have professor Jiujitsu here to teach us about life.

[ironic mode]I'm even thinking of writing a book![/ironic mode]

Seriously, your comment made me laught, nice one lol

Anyway, don't do drugs. We don't want more dead metalheads.
TheIrishAssassin - 26.05.2010 at 01:10
Im a proud maggot, and im sad about pauls death. and being a slipknot fan doesnt mean you cant like other music... ive been a fan of dios since the early 80's and a fan of type o negative since bloody kisses... dio, peter steele and paul gray were all very nice guys who actually gave shit about people and their fans, whereas most bands could give a shit less about anything except money... slipknot was, is, and will continue to be one of the best and most important bands in metal, and theres a helluva lot of people out there that agree... RIP Paul...
Lord_Regnier - 26.05.2010 at 01:36
Written by Edmund Fogg on 25.05.2010 at 15:05

It seems like we have a Metal Musician Serial Killer on the loose.

Of course, we have. We always had a serial killer stalking metal musicians.
His name is Drugs.
Most likely, this guy died of natural cause (a.k.a overdose by the metal scene).

To tell the truth, I don't have much sympathy for those who die because of booze or drug abuse and it doesn't make me cry when it happens. They just suffer the fate they deserve for their foolishness.
Varegan - 26.05.2010 at 02:42
So... he will be buried with the mask?
Black Conundrum - 26.05.2010 at 03:43
I did learn that he had a child on the way today. That increases the sadness. RIP Paul Gray.
aMomentofClarity - 26.05.2010 at 06:51
Quote:

Man what the fuck is wrong with you? It doesn't matter if you like Slipknot or not, if you hate it or love it, at least show some respect for a recently dead man who had a wife, a family, and was expecting a child. Coverage is the less important part of this deal, and I'm sure his family and his friends, his beloved ones are all mourning his death while you're debating about Dio's and Paul's press coverage, and then you go on and call yourself a metalhead while you're the first one to jump in line to care about press coverages and stuff, what an asshole.... And SURELY this guy did leave mroe influence that YOU did, and surely he did change many things while you just sit on your computer staring at them... Respect dude, show some respect.
broken goddess - 26.05.2010 at 08:19
Drug problem, humph. Big surprise there. -not.
suriel - 26.05.2010 at 10:22
R.I.P Paul Gray.....:nono:
Lord_Regnier - 26.05.2010 at 14:02
What makes me laugh is the way each time something like that happens, people seem to be so taken by surprise.
Metal musicians live a shitty and careless lifestyle, so what do you expect, really?
They ruin their health.

And that's why I like music but never cared for the musicians themselves. I see nothing admirable in their lifestyle, only sheer stupidity.
Don Martin - 26.05.2010 at 14:51
Written by Uirapuru on 25.05.2010 at 21:47

Written by Don Martin on 25.05.2010 at 21:43

I liked them alot as a kid... Now I don't listen to them anymore, but still...

When you were a kid? You mean when you were around 10?

14 years I had barely started to separate metal from rock.. XD..

Yeah, ok I'm still a kid, I know :p. But I meant when I was about 9/10 years old.
BurnInHell - 26.05.2010 at 16:11
Every member of Slipknot is important, they all have their place in the band. Paul was kinda the founder of Slipknot, 'he was the essence of Slipknot', as Clown said. It's a great loss for the band, hardly replaceable, if you'd listen to the band's press conference, you'd understand.

Reast in peace, all the maggots will miss you, #2..
Boxcar Willy - 26.05.2010 at 16:40
R.I.P...
Mikyz - 26.05.2010 at 16:48
Written by Lord_Regnier on 26.05.2010 at 14:02

They ruin their health.

The fact that they can't afford a five star hotel and all the luxury is sheer stupidity? Bands tour for the fans' sake if you do not respect that way of living or what they're trying to provide then you sir are heartless. They live that life because they choose too, it's a choice and whether they die or not depends on the person's circumstances. And if you like the music, then I believe that you would like the musician just as much for providing it to you. In my opinion you only feel that way towards the musicians who didn't mark you in any way, in this case Slipknot. The sheer fact that you go to gigs and enjoy them should earn the concerned bands some respect. I'm sure you wouldn't live that same lifestyle but in the end you don't have the same passion and power of will the musicians have. All I'm saying is you should sympathize with the efforts the bands make and not hastily label it as stupidity. In the end it's their lifestyle that inspires their music.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

News Slipknot - Recruit Touring Bassist 6 11.03.2011 by Sword_Chant
News Grip Inc. - Vocalist Found Dead At Age 52 4 18.10.2008 by tiimmmmmyyy
News Alice In Chains - Original Bassist Dead At 44 4 09.03.2011 by Fat & Sassy!
News Circle Of Dead Children - New Drummer Finally Found 4 22.02.2007 by Dangerboner
News Gwar - Guitarist Found Dead 4 03.11.2011 by Baz Anderson