Composer Gaute Storaas shares some insight on what it's like to work with Dimmu Borgir: "There have been several attempts of dressing up rock bands in suits, bow ties, and symphonic splendor - to various degrees of success. Working with Dimmu Borgir is quite different. Their music is epic, thematic and symphonic already from the creation; they are clearly having an orchestral approach to composing. My role in this is sometimes just to transcribe their themes, sometimes to take their ideas, tear them apart and build them back up in ways that are true to the band's intentions. The music must also be both interesting and playable for the musicians, and hopefully, meet the quality standards of the orchestral world."

Dimmu Borgir's ninth studio album will be released in Germany on October 8th, in the rest of Europe on October 11th, and in North America on October 12th.

Source: blogs.myspace.com
Band profile: Dimmu Borgir

Posted: 01.06.2010 by Thryce

Comments

Slyfang - 02.06.2010 at 00:11
Well that's nice news. how about some replacement members?
Kratos - 02.06.2010 at 00:11
This album should be...interesting.
Magatouve - 02.06.2010 at 00:28
Too many musicians, too much orchestral arrangements do not sound promising to me. It's good to do elaborate music, but I guess Dimmu Borgir has been taking it too far since 2003 or so that it lost so much on the way.
Sworn - 02.06.2010 at 01:04
I'm really getting bored of the orchestrations in Dimmu Borgir. I was hoping that the new album would be more organic than their last 3 efforts.
Got Mayhem? - 02.06.2010 at 01:06
Mustis and Vortex say what?

Your orchestrations won't mean squat until you've got a keyboardist to play it live and a bassist to give your tracks some low end. Good luck finding another guy to sing like Simen too. Seriously, the only tracks that I really listen to off of the last few albums are the ones that he sang in.
AngelofDeth - 02.06.2010 at 01:28
This sounds like its gonna be sick.
Opethian - 02.06.2010 at 01:28
I have my fingers crossed for 2 main reasons: 1# I want this album to kick me in the Balls (LOL) 2# I just want something better than In Sorte Diaboli'
Opethian - 02.06.2010 at 01:29
Written by Got Mayhem? on 02.06.2010 at 01:06

Mustis and Vortex say what?

HAHAHA amen to that bro !
LeChron James - 02.06.2010 at 01:47
If one of the 101 members is Kiske, i'll be overcome with laughter.
Warrior_Of_Ice - 02.06.2010 at 03:25
Big words. lets see how they pull this one off...
Vitriolic Hate - 02.06.2010 at 03:35
Written by Opethian on 02.06.2010 at 01:29

Written by Got Mayhem? on 02.06.2010 at 01:06

Mustis and Vortex say what?

HAHAHA amen to that bro !

Englen - 02.06.2010 at 04:40
Fuck them, they got rid of fuckin vortex and mustis... no good.
Daggon - 02.06.2010 at 05:19
THE NEWS:

Quote:

YOUR ANSWER:

Written by Englen on 02.06.2010 at 04:40

Fuck them, they got rid of fuckin vortex and mustis... no good.

This is fuckin' priceless hahaha

I can't say that I expect too much about this album, I will surely miss the voice of ICS Vortex, and oh well, I hope this will sound more "Black" than their previous album...
Ph0eNiX - 02.06.2010 at 06:04
Okay.... Well it's nice but with the last time they went and did that they put more into what the orchestra was playing than what the actual band was playing. There are also 2 batman movies since then too so I'm really curious to see what parts of those 2 movies Dimmu Borgir will be inspired by next.

Can't the just collaborate with Therion instead?
the stranger - 02.06.2010 at 06:10
Written by Vitriolic Hate on 02.06.2010 at 03:35

Written by Opethian on 02.06.2010 at 01:29

Written by Got Mayhem? on 02.06.2010 at 01:06

Mustis and Vortex say what?

HAHAHA amen to that bro !

Dangerboner - 02.06.2010 at 06:25
Cool, this is what I was hoping they'd do with their previous album. I hate Vortex's voice and I also dislike the compressed sound of keyboards, so I guess I'll be looking forward to this.
visiblenoise - 02.06.2010 at 06:53
Sounds enticing! I liked Death Cult Armageddon and Puritanical Misanthropic Euphoria too, I hope they take that sound even further.
Zhao - 02.06.2010 at 09:05
They need 101 people just to replace Mustis and Vortex as studio members? I guess they need half of China live then..
moe5512 - 02.06.2010 at 10:11
Vortex and mustis werent that important to the band, sure vortex was a great singer but there is lot of them too so no bigger loss there.Mustis was ust a keyboardist that played what silenoz and shagrath told him to play -.-. and most of the keyboards are playback on concerts...

But yeah this sounds vvveeeeerrrrrrrryyyyyyy promising
Dark Blood - 02.06.2010 at 11:04
I don't mind the orchestrations in Dimmu Burger's last albums, specially in DCA. Just feel sorry for Vortex not being in the band anymore.. I liked his vocals a lot.
Ziom - 02.06.2010 at 12:14
I thought that Shagrath said before their last album, that there is no point in utilising a full orchestra, as electronics are sophisticated enough to fully replace it (and are much cheaper).
HellHammer - 02.06.2010 at 13:45
I personally like the way Dimmu uses the orchestra, they do it well and I enjoy it. So am really looking to the next album, hopefully better than the last one and more in the vein of DCA / PEM.
Eddie Misery - 02.06.2010 at 14:51
Pff haha -- big fucking deal. Over 101 people, and yet none of them are new members. The last album was even worse than the one before it, and the video was laughable. Maybe this time they'll write some memorable music. Less ego might do the trick. Just maybe.
Array - 02.06.2010 at 15:54
In PEM the orchestra really was memorable. Let's see how this time.
The Night Wisher - 02.06.2010 at 20:18
Well, I've got the 2003 and 2001 albums, they're good.
But every symphonic band should have a keyboardist in order to play the melodies live instead of making half of the concert coming from the playback tape .... good luck for Dimmu \m/
aporyon - 03.06.2010 at 06:02
Wow, i can't believe that nobody realizes that this is pure hype and they only do that to gain credibillity... shit metal is too fucking commercial these days
DoomGuard - 03.06.2010 at 08:38
I wonder if this is gonna sound like PEM only less keyboards and no clean vox...I wouldn't mind that....
Svetopolk - 03.06.2010 at 13:17
So it has a solid release date but no title?
Warman - 03.06.2010 at 13:38
Written by Sworn on 02.06.2010 at 01:04

I'm really getting bored of the orchestrations in Dimmu Borgir.

I agree. Normally I like orchestras in metal music, but Dimmu Borgir was way better in the old days without it.
+{Jonas}+ - 03.06.2010 at 16:09
Written by Vitriolic Hate on 02.06.2010 at 03:35

Written by Opethian on 02.06.2010 at 01:29

Written by Got Mayhem? on 02.06.2010 at 01:06

Mustis and Vortex say what?

HAHAHA amen to that bro !

+2. ICS Vortex was teh only element that made Dimmu unique.
SatyriconChick - 04.06.2010 at 05:15
I have mixed feelings about this news.

Okay, so I can't help but think that had they kept Mustis, they wouldn't have to turn to a 51-piece orchestra. Seriously, Mustis could play stuff that sounds like a full orchestra.

And who are they going to get to play keyboards and bass in a live setting? I love Dimmu, but seriously, what about new members who could actually help perform these no-doubt brilliant future compositions live?
corrupt - 04.06.2010 at 12:18
Vortex never sang to his full potential in Dimmu Borgir anyway. Sure it sucks he's gone but to replace that style of singing can't be too hard. If Arcturus were to play La Masquerade Infernale live without him, they'd be fucked. But in Dimmu Borgir, any choir boy can replace him.

I was hoping for something more like Enthrone Darkness Triumphant though. No second and third voice, no annoying keyboards on top of the arrangements, just minimalist symphonic black. Bad luck for me then.
SatyriconChick - 04.06.2010 at 17:24
@corrupt - Yeah, I figured they would go back to that style, too, or at least the Spiritual Black Dimensions style, sans the clean vocals, of course.
corrupt - 05.06.2010 at 22:36
Written by SatyriconChick on 04.06.2010 at 17:24

They'd need a keyboard for that style though. I wouldn't mind that either. But in general I prefer albums that know how and when to slow down at times. That sort of subtle variance to the sound that makes an album unique. Dimmu Borgir's very old stuff is pretty good in that regard.
saman zr - 05.06.2010 at 23:17
Written by AngelofDeth on 02.06.2010 at 01:28

This sounds like its gonna be sick.

i just waITING for new album of dimmu borgir :necro:thats so very very good
Arian Totalis - 08.06.2010 at 01:43
"Norwegian symphonic black metal band Dimmu Borgir proudly announce their collaboration with Norwegian composer and Berklee College of Music summa cum laude alumnus Gaute Storaas in addition to the 51 members of KORK (the Norwegian Radio Orchestra) and the 38-member Schola Cantorum Choir for their as-yet-untitled new album. To date, over 101(!) musicians have lent their talents to the making of the album.
"

..Damn, that makes me curious. This is an interesting concept. Let's hope something interesting comes out of this instead of a big heaping pile of mediocrity. (sp?)

News Dimmu Borgir - Preparing New Album 9 14.06.2006 by Stigmatized
News New Dimmu Borgir Album Title Revealed 9 20.11.2006 by dismaleuphony
News Dimmu Borgir - New Album Track List Revealed + Other Details About The Album 9 11.02.2007 by Yova
News Dimmu Borgir - New Album Available For Streaming 9 18.04.2007 by