Nightwish keyboard player Tuomas Holopainen has announced the band is working on new material and will start recording a new album in October. In an update in the band's "Summer Camp diary" he writes:

"Almost exactly 4 years ago we gathered into an idyllic place in the small village of Sävi to rehearse and arrange what would later be called Dark Passion Play. It was such glorious and inspiring times that we decided to do something similar with the upcoming Nightwish album called...

So again we are here in the deepest countryside of Finland beginning to create a follower for DPP. It's just us guys for now, Anette will join the camp a bit later. We arrived yesterday and the reunion was celebrated with some water-skiing, bbq and Quilmes. I foresee the same trinity taking place more or less on a daily basis.

We just got the equipment and PA set up with the help of our legendary engineer/co-producer TeeCee Kinnunen and probably will start working with the songs in a couple of days. This campsite is so amazing we'll let that sauna of a rehearsal room wait in silence for a while, and just concentrate on chilling out and catching up. And raising the official NW camp - flag high into the pole.

I have 12 songs completed now, but am still working with some lyrics. It's been an immensely fruitful songwriting process, as well as very consuming and ponderous. But I feel more satisfied with the stuff than ever before. Don't know if it's a good sign or bad. To me the album sounds like a rollercoaster ride in a theme park designed by Neil Gaiman, Tim Burton and Salvador Dali. That's the best way I can put it at this point.

Like before, we will record a demo once the songs are arranged, to listen to and to perfect the material, and to give to Mr. Pip Williams so he can start with the orchestration process. The actual enter-the-studio-date is set for October 15th. Again, the London orchestra and choir will be there, as well as Mr. Troy Donockley playing a slightly bigger part this time. And loads of new elements 'n twists we haven't tried before!

So things are finally rolling. We'll keep you posted in written, as well as in visual form. Stay tuned for updates."

Source: nightwish.com
Band profile: Nightwish

Posted: 17.07.2010 by Thryce

Comments page 2 of 2

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 [2]

ErnilEnNaur - 19.07.2010 at 00:21
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Tarja Turunen is alive.

...and making boring music. My Winter Storm is a very boring album

Yup. It was a boring pop album with a few hints of classical scattered here and there. There was one song (the name of which I have forgotten) that was a very comical (and pathetic) attempt at trash metal. I did like one song on it, but I have forgotten that one too. That's what happens when an album isn't good enough to remember.
Sorcha - 19.07.2010 at 00:59
People who call My Winter Storm a pop album and DPP a metal album, allways make me laugh. If there's one pop singer, It's Anette Olzon.

Looking forward to the new NW and the new Tarja album. Although I have more faith in Tarja then in NW..
farfaramir - 19.07.2010 at 01:17
Written by Guest on 18.07.2010 at 23:59

"Master Passion Greed is a good exception in the album, but it's not enough to make the album heavier."

So according to that logic, I could take away Romanticide from and Once and it would remain just as heavy?

Yep. Making Marko sing or not it's not what makes the difference. We still have "Dark Chest of Wonders" (Heavier than almost any song in DPP, except for MPG and some sections of The Poet and the Pendulum"), Wish I had an Angel (Maybe not the best song, but it's heavy anyway) and Planet Hell.
ErnilEnNaur - 19.07.2010 at 02:34
Written by Sorcha on 19.07.2010 at 00:59

"If there's one pop singer, It's Anette Olzon "

Except that Anette sings metal and Tarja sings pop with folk and classical influence.
BudDa - 19.07.2010 at 08:07
Play it straight Nightwish. This is still the same news as before with alot of explicitly 'boring' details(PA systems and what-not). How about some concrete news..like a tentative title for the next album?!
DreamNightmare - 19.07.2010 at 18:51
Looking forward to another solid album.. Don't let us down Tuomas! i'm eager to see how you can top The Poet and The Pendulum in terms of grandiose
The Shape 1973 - 19.07.2010 at 19:29
Written by 4look4rd on 18.07.2010 at 19:50

Written by The Shape 1973 on 18.07.2010 at 15:11

Don't care what anyone says. If you don't like them then don't listen to them, simple.

The whole vocalist argument was old and boring many, many years ago. Bon Scott isn't in AC/DC anymore either.

I'm looking forward to the new album. I have liked all of their stuff, from the early days, right up to DDP.

Tarja's new album is out soon, so if you prefer her then why don't you buy that instead.

I agree with most of what you say. I am also fed up with this Tarja vs. Annette debate. Both are very good vocalists, and I don't blame Annette for the shitty songs in DDP (which are very few), she did an amazing job in songs like The Poet and the Pendulum and Meadows of Heaven. Her live performance are very good and fresh (eventhough some songs do not sound as good with her singing style).

Anyway, I don't think Nightwish would of have sounded any better if Tarja was still in the band (I love her voice though). The problem, in my humble opinion, is the the songwriting. Toumas has lost his originality, his music started to decay right after Wishmaster when they started to include way too many symphonic passages. At the moment Toumas seems like a Hans Zimmer wannabe, but even as an admirer he should have realized by now that no one will match the greatness of Mr. Zimmer.

I started listening to Nightwish back in 1999, Angels Fall First was a really original album, and until today I still consider it as their best album (despite its flaws). I don't think Nightwish has ever put out a weak album, but their albums have progressively gotten worse over time (huge decline after Wishmaster). I would love if Toumas would simply go back to his roots or start a side project where he could start composing his pseudo-scores without degrading his main band.

Nightwish has lost its uniqueness. They still manage to put out a few great songs here and there (I'm a big fan of all of their 10+ minutes songs for some reason, and really wish they had put "The Escapist" in DPP) but they have never managed to compose music as unique and fresh as they did in their first three albums.

Watched Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest last night, you are right about Tuomas' Hans Zimmer infatuation. I heard the score and was waiting for the rest of Nightwish to start playing. Tuomas looks like Captain Jack too.

I do disagree that Nightwish should move away from the symphonic elements, as it is this that has improved their sound to make a really epic (Poet And The Pendulum, amongst others) production. Each to their own I guess.

The Escapist should have been on DDP, instead of For the Heart I Once Had or Whoever Brings the Night, but the rest of the album I loved. Even the live versions on Made in Hong Kong (And in Various Other Places) surprised me. Annette's voice sounded good live as well, if anything it was Marco's that sounded a bit weak on the first track, but I won't hold that against his normally excellent performances.
RavenKing - 21.07.2010 at 14:39
I guess I will never understand why this band gets so much attention. One of the most boring and pop-ish band on the metal scene. They stand for everything that is wrong with flower cheesemetal.

I utterly disliked them at first listen and I still dislike them to this day.
I hate Powermetal but I think I find this band more unworthy of attention than any other.
Marcel Hubregtse - 21.07.2010 at 14:44
Written by RavenKing on 21.07.2010 at 14:39

I utterly disliked them at first listen and I still dislike them to this day.

Nope that would be Sabaton (Read my Hellfest account on them)
Ellrohir - 21.07.2010 at 17:21
Written by RavenKing on 21.07.2010 at 14:39

I utterly disliked them at first listen and I still dislike them to this day.

and i was bind to metal thanks to them...without them i wouldnt know any other (and possibly better) metal band
Ellrohir - 15.10.2010 at 14:31
Noone cares about some Tarja in this topic

Pages: 1 [2]

News Igorrr - New Album In The Works 7 04.02.2014 by !J.O.O.E.!
News Dark Empire - Line-Up Changes, New Album In The Works 7 27.05.2013 by ZGoten
News Huntress - New Album In The Works 7 15.02.2013 by Lit.
News Arch Enemy - DVD Release In The Works, New Album Planned For 2014 7 29.10.2012 by theFIST
News Midnattsol - New Album In The Works 7 02.03.2013 by