US metallers Cynic have issued the following update on their MySpace blog;

"Dear Cynic family,

We'd like to thank you guys for making our first ever US headlining tour a great success and a lot of fun for us personally! Not only did we have a great time performing a set list this extensive, there was also a real family vibe going on behind the scenes between us, our crew and the guys from Intronaut and Dysrhythmia.

As we are wrapping up our touring cycle for Traced In Air and Re-Traced with this successful tour, it's time to get ready for album number 3! The first baby steps into this gigantic process are being taken right now, creating little embryos of songs that will turn into fully fledged Cynic tunes over the course of the following months, exciting!

All the best,
Cynic."

Source: blogs.myspace.com
Band profile: Cynic

Posted: 30.08.2010 by BudDa

Comments

BloodTears - 30.08.2010 at 12:46
Nice.
vezzy - 30.08.2010 at 12:52
Don't really know. If it's going to follow the same path as Re-Traced...
!J.O.O.E.! - 30.08.2010 at 13:23
Maybe they'll have, you know, metal in the new one.
Ozman - 30.08.2010 at 13:26
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 30.08.2010 at 13:23

Maybe they'll have, you know, metal in the new one.

Doubt it, since Traced In Air, also didn't have too much metal in it and was boring as **** and Retraced was even worse. I have totally given up on them. They are great musicians who unfrotunately fail to write great music nowadays.
vezzy - 30.08.2010 at 13:30
Written by Ozman on 30.08.2010 at 13:26

Kind of like Testament, only Cynic flunked after one, not one and a half. Unless you count their demos...
Ozman - 30.08.2010 at 13:32
Written by vezzy on 30.08.2010 at 13:30

Written by Ozman on 30.08.2010 at 13:26

The sound on their debut could already be found on the demos. So I am discounting them. Since most of those songs were the framework for the song on Focus.
But Testament flunked out during a much shorter period of times. At least it took Cynic, what was it, 16 years or so to flunk out
seafood - 30.08.2010 at 15:09
Remember that re-traced was a sort of experiment for the band, I doubt they would want to put out a whole album like that. But I also don't feel like they would return to the sound on Focus, probably they'll follow the path of Traced in Air .. which is OK for me.
trendkill- - 30.08.2010 at 21:38
Who cares if it was "pure metal" it was traced in air was still pretty awesome,
Atitfos - 30.08.2010 at 21:46
Sweeeeeeeeeeet
Daydream Nation - 30.08.2010 at 21:48
Fuck all the haters. Cynic, Atheist and Pestilence rock the fuck out of shit like Disturbed and Slipknot.
Daggon - 30.08.2010 at 23:29
Oh well, "Traced In Air" was really boring, sleep inducing... I mean, I expected something as great as "Focus" something more "metal", but maybe it was too much to ask, still, it's nice experience when you see them live, but it's better when they play the old stuff.
Daydream Nation - 31.08.2010 at 00:53
And you'd have to be a fool to dispute the metallic elements to Traced in Air. I recognize that it definitely wasn't as heavy as Focus nor any of Atheist's work, but it had enough of a metal influence to please me. Plus it was mature and sophisticated, just the kind of growth I would have wanted to see from Cynic. In that sense, I was satisfied with the resulting product; conceited fans looking for more death metal elements to the work were bound to be disappointed anyway because that wasn't what Cynic was. They always placed their jazz sensibilities and metal on an equal platform.
Fat & Sassy! - 31.08.2010 at 01:28
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 30.08.2010 at 13:23

Maybe they'll have, you know, metal in the new one.

I haven't gotten around to listening to their last album. Is it just more jazz-focused or what? o_o
!J.O.O.E.! - 31.08.2010 at 01:32
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 31.08.2010 at 01:28

Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 30.08.2010 at 13:23

Maybe they'll have, you know, metal in the new one.

From what I remember yeah, proggy jazz weirdness, but not particularly good jazz. Honestly, it's about as heavy as a tissue. Most people love it though.
Fat & Sassy! - 31.08.2010 at 01:33
Sounds like it'd be my cup of tea. I think I'm more opt to pick it up now.
!J.O.O.E.! - 31.08.2010 at 01:48
I mean it's brutal industrial black metal with drone and noise...
Introspekrieg - 31.08.2010 at 04:01
I guess if you can completely ignore the annoying vocals/vocoder you will like Traced In Air, much more prominent than on Focus. I can only hope that Eiffel 65 don't make a guest appearance on their next album... such great music ruined by such an unnecessary earache of an effect.
Daydream Nation - 31.08.2010 at 04:38
^Now that's just conceited. The vocoder can sound wonderful when it is used properly, and the men from Cynic know how to use it.
DethDonald - 31.08.2010 at 05:02
Wow didn't really expect this much hate toward Cynic. I loved... No I actually adored Traced in Air, so this should tickle my penis.
Kub - 31.08.2010 at 05:20
A lot of these comments proves that metalheads can't recognize good music when it slaps them in their face.

Great to hear they are making another Cynic album, but where's my Aeon Spoke?...
Kap'N Korrupt - 31.08.2010 at 08:43
Who would've ever thought that Cynic would've ever come out with a third album let alone of a second one?
Introspekrieg - 31.08.2010 at 09:42
Written by Guest on 31.08.2010 at 04:38

I'm not being conceited... just stating my opinion (I don't believe this is how everyone should think, tastes differ). It seems like they used the vocoder in a more subtle way, lower in the mix on Focus, and then decided it should become more prominent on Traced In Air. Sure the vocal style is unique, but this distracts me personally from their music. When I first listened to TIA, I was very excited. The music samples sounded great and then the album released and I was disappointed by what I heard. I liked "The Space For This," but most of the other songs didn't click with me. Any expression of dissatisfaction towards this album is always met with the same conceited comments, like:

Written by Kub on 31.08.2010 at 05:20

Sorry for having a different opinion... I'll just conform next time. That being said, I will definitely give the next album a fair listen, like I do all their releases. There is no denying great musicianship, but certain aspects going into creating a sound may not be liked by everyone. Some people don't like saxophone, but I don't think they have bad music taste just because they don't like Ihsahn - After (an album I love).
vezzy - 31.08.2010 at 13:06
Written by Guest on 30.08.2010 at 21:48

Since when did we listen to those worthless bands? We were just stating that Re-Traced sucked.
Daydream Nation - 31.08.2010 at 18:58
Written by vezzy on 31.08.2010 at 13:06

Written by Guest on 30.08.2010 at 21:48

I'm saying that Re-Traced is superior to anything those bands ever put out. Yes, there isn't much metal to it and it is their least interesting effort, but they haven't decided to move into stagnation like those bands but have decided to experiment and innovate, qualities in bands that I look for when they are executed successfully. And Re-Traced, for an ep, had me entertained and is thus successful (albeit Traced in Air and Focus are superior). A lot of people don't like Cynic because they don't have enough metal to them (re: the Traced in Air comments in the beginning, flunking, etc.) and that is what I'm arguing against.
I'm not trying to dispute people's opinions. I know that music is subjective and everyone has a certain taste, but I'm giving my view. The vocoder was done by Cynic to a perfection, in my opinion, especially in a world where Auto Tune rules 99.9% of pop songs. You'd be a fool to dispute their talent with the vocoder (and that Eiffel 65 joke was lame, by the way). I agree that the album TIA gets slow towards the end and that Focus is much better; in my opinion, however, TIA actually flowed better than Focus and was actually more "focused" around a central theme and that is why I believe it is still a more-than-worthy successor to Focus. Even though it didn't have the songs that Focus did, it retained many metal elements that I was looking for and actually had a tighter song structure all around, in my opinion.
vezzy - 31.08.2010 at 19:00
Yeah, okay, but it was sudden. Like, we just said what we said about Cynic, then you come in "FUCK THE HATERS CYNIC BEAT DISTURBED ANY DAY YOU PANSIES".

I don't get it. Although, I prefer Atheist and Pestilence over Cynic.
!J.O.O.E.! - 31.08.2010 at 19:06
In other words: The political views of Kit-Kats > The smell of Saturn's third moon.
Introspekrieg - 31.08.2010 at 22:26
Written by Guest on 31.08.2010 at 18:58

Alright... lame statement withdraw. I was being a bit of a bastard there, Cynic should not even be mentioned in the same breath as the atrocious Eiffel 65. I really like your post here, well said. I went back and gave it a more open-minded chance and am really trying to get into Traced In Air. I want to like it... maybe it is just hard to get into because of my initial obsession with the vocals. Did anyone not like it at first but eventually have it grow on them?

Written by vezzy on 31.08.2010 at 19:00

I don't get it. Although, I prefer Atheist and Pestilence over Cynic.

Nowadays, I think Traced In Air is better than Resurrection Macabre, but I hope Atheist's Jupiter blows them both away...
Angelic Storm - 31.08.2010 at 22:36
^^ I agree, Traced In Air is better than Pestilence's latest IMO. Its not as good as Focus nope, but it was a fine album I thought. xD

Resurrection Macabre was a huge disappointement to me. Far too one dimensional, and too many songs that sounded the same as each other.
Daydream Nation - 31.08.2010 at 23:24
Written by vezzy on 31.08.2010 at 19:00

I don't get it. Although, I prefer Atheist and Pestilence over Cynic.

It may be sudden, but it fit well with the train of conversation, as I'll justify. I definitely prefer Atheist over Cynic, but not Pestilence based on the new album. (eg. I'd go with Atheist, then Cynic, then Pestilence). But the whole point of my post was to remind people what these kind of bands aim for. Of course they aren't full-on metal bands! They aim for a degree of avant-garde with the jazz elements/vocoders in their music. Criticizing them on the metallic elements that they lack shows that you are a dipshit that doesn't understand their genre, in my opinion. And if you find them too light and don't like them, I supplied the reminder that they kick the fuck out of the corporate "metal" out there. I merely suggested that perhaps the haters didn't have their "metal priorities" straight, because really Cynic, Pestilence and Atheist were the tops of their genre, in my opinion, and revolutionized exactly what metal could do.
vezzy - 31.08.2010 at 23:27
Okay fine, I'll just say the avant-garde elements are boring in that case.
Ozman - 31.08.2010 at 23:31
What the fucking does hating curent Cynic have to do with getting one's so-called metal priorities staight. I hate current Cynic cause they are boring and are just a softer copy of their old sound. They are not pushing the so-called envelope anymore. ys they are great musicians who do things that other bands don't do, but that does not make their latest music good for me.
Daydream Nation - 01.09.2010 at 02:52
Marcel: I guess it sort of goes with the reasons people listen to metal. Obviously people listen to it for different reasons, but I listen to metal because of the lyricism, experimentation, innovation and, to an extent, a brutality that you would not find in other types of music. It's certainly justified to hate current Cynic now, for the reasons you have described ("boring" and "not pushing the envelope anymore"), but you can't hate them because their metal qualities are receding or because of their musicianship (because it IS generally very technical and sophisticated). SUCH IS A PRODUCT OF THE GENRE, MARCEL; jazz death metal styled bands are inevitably going to experiment, maybe with decreased heaviness, because that's what jazz does. I guess they haven't disappointed me because I am already aware of this intrinsic "need to innovate by changing the intensity" amongst many bands.
Summary: Hating them PRIMARILY BECAUSE THEY ARE LESS INTENSE is not fair, because that's an inevitable consequence of music. Thus, if you hate current Cynic BECAUSE OF THEIR LACK OF INTENSITY ALONE, you don't hate your metal priorities straight because you clearly don't understand the expectations of the genre. This is what I've been trying to say. You've justified yourself why you hate Cynic and those are acceptable excuses; I was just commenting to those who seem to hate it because of the limiting intensity alone.
Daydream Nation - 01.09.2010 at 03:06
And VezzyRattlesnake...that's an acceptable excuse.
nana.MD - 09.09.2010 at 07:37
Looking forward for it!!

News Suidakra - Begin Work On New Album 7 09.05.2010 by MetalSpider
News Electric Wizard - Begin Work On New Album 7 23.10.2011 by !J.O.O.E.!
News Tombs - Begin Work On New Album 7 09.12.2010 by Xnoybis