Original news

In the "didn't see this one coming" department, Mike Portnoy has just announced he is quitting Dream Theater. Portnoy issued the following statement on his Facebook fan page he administers himself:

"I am about to write something I never imagined I'd ever write: after 25 years, I have decided to leave Dream Theater... the band I founded, led and truly loved for a quarter of a century.

To many people this will come as a complete shock, and will also likely be misunderstood by some, but please believe me that it is not a hasty decision... it is something I have struggled with for the last year or so....

After having had such amazing experiences playing with Hail!, Transatlantic and Avenged Sevenfold this past year, I have sadly come to the conclusion that I have recently had more fun and better personal relations with these other projects than I have for a while now in Dream Theater...

Please don't misinterpret me, I love the DT guys dearly and have a long history, friendship and bond that runs incredibly deep with them... it's just that I think we are in serious need of a little break...

Dream Theater was always my baby... and I nurtured that baby every single day and waking moment of my life since 1985... 24/7, 365... never taking time off from DT's never-ending responsibilites (even when the band was "off" between cycles)... working overtime and way beyond the call of duty that most sane people ever would do for a band...

But I've come to the conclusion that the DT machine was starting to burn me out... and I really needed a break from the band in order to save my relationship with the other members and keep my DT spirit hungry and inspired.

We have been on an endless write/record/tour cycle for almost 20 years now (of which I have overseen EVERY aspect without a break) and while a few months apart from each other here & there over the years has been much needed and helpful, I honestly hoped the band could simply agree with me to taking a bit of a "hiatus" to recharge our batteries and "save me from ourselves"...

Sadly, in discussing this with the guys, they determined they do not share my feelings and have decided to continue without me rather than take a breather... I even offered to do some occasional work throughout 2011 against my initial wishes, but it was not to be...

While it truly hurts for me to even think of a Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy (hell, my father named the band!!), I do not want to stand in their way... so I have decided to sacrifice myself and simply leave the band so as to not hold them back against their wishes....

Strangely enough, I just read an interview that I recently did that asked me about the future of DT and I talked about "always following your heart and being true to yourself"... sadly I must say that at this particular moment, my heart is not with Dream Theater... and I would simply be "going through the motions", and would honestly NOT be true to myself if I stayed for the sake of obligation without taking the break I felt I needed.

I wish the guys the best and hope the music and legacy we created together is enjoyed by fans for decades to come... I am proud of every album we made, every song we wrote and every show we played....

I'm sorry to all the disappointed DT fans around the world... I really tried to salvage the situation and make it work... I honestly just wanted a break (not a split)... but happiness cannot be forced, it needs to come from within.... You DT fans are the greatest fans in the world and as you all know, I have always busted my ass for you guys and I hope that you will stay with me on my future musical journey, wherever it may lead me... (and as you all know my work ethic, there will surely be no shortage of future MP projects!)

Sadly... Your fearless ex-leader and drummer, Mike Portnoy"

UPDATE

The rest of the band has made the following announcement:

"To all of our loyal fans and friends: It is with profound sadness - regret - we announce that Mike Portnoy, our lifelong drummer and friend, has decided to leave Dream Theater. Mike's stature in the band has meant the world to all of us professionally, musically, and personally over the years. There is no dispute: Mike has been a major force within this band.

While it is true that Mike is choosing to pursue other ventures and challenges, we can assure you that Dream Theater will continue to move forward with the same intensity - and in the same musical tradition - that you have all helped make so successful, and which is truly gratifying to us.

Fans and friends: File this episode under Black Clouds and Silver Linings. As planned, we begin recording our newest album in January 2011, and we'll follow that with a full-on world tour. "The Spirit Carries On."

All of us in Dream Theater wholeheartedly wish Mike the best on his musical journey. We have had a long and meaningful career together. It is our true hope that he finds all he is looking for, and that he achieves the happiness he deserves. He will be missed."

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Dream Theater

Posted: 09.09.2010 by Dominus

Comments page 2 of 3

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 [2] 3

Ag Fox - 09.09.2010 at 11:34
Written by Introspekrieg on 09.09.2010 at 04:15

Written by Daggon on 09.09.2010 at 04:02

Well, it's his choice, and I think most fans will have to accept it, when your heart and soul is not in what you make anymore, it's better to leave it before something worse happens. Still, I will regret I've never come to see them performing live with him.

What's weird is I saw DT on their last tour with Maiden and Mike looked like he was having fun performing, but LaBrie looked out of it. I would have expected LaBrie to leave before Portnoy... WHY!? Why couldn't this have been the case instead...
I lol ed so hard on this
Daniell - 09.09.2010 at 11:59
They should disband.
I'm sure there is a drummer that can replace Mike, but I can't imagine that his creative input can be replaced. DT are like Led Zeppelin. They should not continue without one of the members.
Lachy - 09.09.2010 at 12:10
I hope they all just take a break for a year or 2. No drummer can replace mike and i cant see the band doing anything without him. They are like my favorite band *sob* how can this happen.
Forsaker - 09.09.2010 at 12:14
Im not a big fan for DT , but it's really sorry when you read news like this so good luck Mike and DT keep metal guys
Ivor - 09.09.2010 at 12:18
Written by Daniell on 09.09.2010 at 11:59

They should disband.

I wouldn't actually be so sure about that. It might turn out that they'll start putting out a bit different material. Now that MP is not participating, maybe someone else will step in in the writing phase. As far as I recall, Myung hasn't been writing much recently, and there were some great songs written by him in the early days.

So, in general, I have a mixed feeling about it. Sure, it sucks that MP left. But given that he did so much of the work overall, someone ("sometwo," "somethree"?) else has to step in, and thus things are bound to change. Whether for better or worse is yet to be seen.

I.
DrM - 09.09.2010 at 12:28
Written by Ivor on 09.09.2010 at 12:18

I.

I couldn't agree with you more.
Dream Theater for me is a landmark, a band to which I compare almost every Prog band I stumble upon and it's very sad to see Portnoy leave.

Still, I can always dream (pun intended) of the day he might go back, but who knows? Maybe they'll go to a new direction now, and a change is almost always refreshing.
nb - 09.09.2010 at 13:00
This is shocking, I did not think they would part ways, but it is understandable from Mike's arguments and also from the bands side. I would expect a slight change in their music now, without Mike's input, but they are such
great musicians that the output will be awesome. Mike did not say what he was going to do specifically, but more Transatlantic would be awesome. Good luck to both sides, and as a big fan I will follow both their projects.
Kingface - 09.09.2010 at 13:15
Gotta be the Metal Music shock of 2010...for now at least!

It is a shame and it'll be interesting to see what he ends up doing and what Dream Theater end up doing.

If I ever was gonna see DT, I would've liked to have see them with Portnoy, but oh well.
TemplarLS - 09.09.2010 at 13:22
Why?why?why? plz dont do this to me!!!!! U leave most tallented musicans in the world because of avenged sevenfold??? DO u know what are u doing?!
Vombatus - 09.09.2010 at 13:45
By Oden's beard ! I thought i'd never live to see Mr.Portnoy leaving DT to join... avenged sevenfold ? WTF ?!
Vitriolic Hate - 09.09.2010 at 13:46
I wanna see the reactions of DT fanboys!
DrM - 09.09.2010 at 13:48
Written by TemplarLS on 09.09.2010 at 13:22

Don't think it's specifically about sevenfold, I rather believe he's just a bit worn out, and who can blame him? Dream Theater are not famous without reason.

Either way, this is the band that's taught me to follow musicians, and not just bands and I am looking forwards for what's to come from both sides.
Lit. - 09.09.2010 at 13:55
OK, it's tomorrow.
If what people are saying is true: HE's leaving because he's tired of DT, then I say by all means leave.
No point in sticking around to do a job half-assed.
SexyCat_1113 - 09.09.2010 at 14:03
What a fXXking news...
BloodTears - 09.09.2010 at 14:43
I don't believe this. It must be some sort of sick joke.

Life goes on though.
Njord - 09.09.2010 at 14:49
I believe Mike is tired of DT, mainly because there's no more challenges to him in this band. He's the only one of the group that confessed some of his deepest sins and feelings. Now he wants to move on, see and live other reality, release this burden from him.

Dream Theater will miss him, but this band is made of constant changes. This is another one. The sound will be different, but that's DT's nature in every new release.
corrupt - 09.09.2010 at 14:55
I'm all in for Martin Lopez now
ponderer - 09.09.2010 at 15:54
Written by corrupt on 09.09.2010 at 14:55

I'm all in for Martin Lopez now

OMG! That's an awesome choice man. I'd wig if he came out of hiding. Incredible INCREDIBLE drummer.

As far as the Mike Portnoy thing goes, allow me a few lines here...

I've always considered MP to be one the hardest working individuals in the business. He's working with several different projects pretty much all at the same time. He was working on the production of the dvds while the band was touring, working on new material, and keeping himself busy with side-projects all the time. It's one thing to be a guitarist or singer, but the workhorse behind the Dream Theater behemoth was the drummer. The workhorse behind any band is the drummer unless he's a lifeless dope addict pumping out BOOM SPLAT like a slave drone monkey. MP is probably one of the most talented, hard-working individuals there is, and his legacy with Dream Theater will live forever. He's the very definition of progressive rock and metal.

Having said that...

Transatlantic started to suck balls about the time the religious crap started suffocating the lyrics and music. Watching this band go from awesome to yawn was tragic at best. As far as the other newer stuff Mike is doing I haven't bothered to listen to it since someone on here called it Metalcore. The label alone made me want to choke on my own vomit. Hail might be interesting to listen to but as of yet I haven't heard any of it.

If MP needs some space and time, give it to him. He's earned it FFS. The rest of the band doesn't want to stop because they have mouthes to feed and bills to pay, they aren't retarded. It's not like MP is quitting music completely either. He's gotta do what he's gotta do man. Give the guy a break.

One last quip before I head back to the real world.

To the clueless douchebags who said Dream Theater was on the road to selling out like Metallica? BAHAHAHAHA. Yah that'll happen never. They've been writing some of the heaviest shit ever in their careers. Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds are massive offerings in the progressive metal genre.

Good luck Mike and I hope you find what you are looking for.
PrettyMao - 09.09.2010 at 16:25
I hear Peter Criss is available.

Meeeow!!
iMPERiAL_iCE - 09.09.2010 at 16:50
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH, how the hell do they want us to listen to DT after Mike????? it's just not the same, who's gonna do all the amazing drum fills all over the songs (creatively speaking)???? who's gonna be the one cursing around in all the DVDs???? who's gonna play the whole Twelve-step Suite live like DT promised????? WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?????
Winterthrone - 09.09.2010 at 17:23
Unbelievable, yet time destroys everything, even the greatest bands! Man he probabbly realized there was a lot more money to earn in A7X for less work!
Zombie - 09.09.2010 at 17:35
Good
|pyro| - 09.09.2010 at 17:35
I'm experiencing the 5 stages of grief.
I'm currently at denial.
I don't believe this is real. -.-
DoomDriver - 09.09.2010 at 18:14
My first post in this forum... and on such a shocking news! Dream Theater without MP isn't the same! I hope that this is a case like when Bruce Dickinson made an hiatus from Iron Maiden!
Let's hope for the best!!!
BlankFile - 09.09.2010 at 18:14
Well i was never a big fan of Dream Theather really, so this bomb will not make an impact on me. I know the band´s work, i like some of their songs and i recognize this is one of the most influential bands in the metal scene for sure. But for some reason this band never caught my ears at 100%, not even 50 or 60%... Still i can imagine the sadness of Dream Theather fans of long time, when they heard that the legendary Mike Portnoy left DT... Now that´s a shocker for them indeed!
Iced Angel - 09.09.2010 at 18:30
Written by BlankFile on 09.09.2010 at 18:14

Same here, I enjoyed some of their songs, but never considered myself a fan of DT! I just don't like their style, but I highly respect their talents. I can understand how he will be missed, and how the lack of a great drummer and leader, such as Portnoy, will affect both the band and the fans.
Doc Godin - 09.09.2010 at 18:45
Written by Vombatus on 09.09.2010 at 13:45

Nowhere did it say he's joining A7X.
BitterCOld - 09.09.2010 at 19:06
My guess is that touring with other bands (not a7x specifically) helped him find a spark or something that has been long missing with DT. maybe it brought the "fun" back.

not a DT fan, but based on comments above, it seemed he had a lot of weight on his shoulders within the project, and relationships were contentious. time away in a project without the stress makes the whole thing fun again for him.
timmoe - 09.09.2010 at 19:08
Nooooo...
Amatsu Mikaboshi - 09.09.2010 at 19:47
FOR FUCKSAKE!!!

Even after a few of their albums, I'm nowhere a massive fan of Dream Theater although something like that after reading it just makes me keep thinking of continous Malcolm Tucker outbursts of acid tounge anger.
Eeric - 09.09.2010 at 19:59
Written by Aetherius on 09.09.2010 at 11:17

Guess cuz of his summer touring with emo metalcore avenged sevenfold maybe

and you haven't even heard of what portnoy's been doing with avenged sevenfold, it's same as you say that pantera is emo metalcore
Elio - 09.09.2010 at 20:04
It was about time. DT have been a joke for the last ten years or something.
DreamNightmare - 09.09.2010 at 20:10
Mid-Life Crisis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Evil-Watcher - 09.09.2010 at 20:15
What the fuck? Is this a fucking Joke or what????
He leaves Dream Theater for Projects like Transatlantic? Avanged Sevenfold????
ARE YOU KIDDING???
Who should replace Mike as Drummer, Songwriter and Producer?
There is not even one Musician in the world that can fill this hole.
It should be a big lol if it wasen't so sad.
Super_Greg - 09.09.2010 at 21:19
Prog fan rage!!!!
Axe Argonian - 09.09.2010 at 21:28
If he permanently joins A7X, I'll probably cry many sorrowful tears.

Oh well.

At least Symphony X is still alive and awesome!
Vombatus - 09.09.2010 at 21:34
Written by Doc Godin on 09.09.2010 at 18:45

Written by Vombatus on 09.09.2010 at 13:45

Nowhere did it say he's joining A7X.

Indeed, but I was just guessing since he just made an album with them, says he gets much more fun and blablabla.

If he finally doesn't, well... I'm sorry for posting something incorrect on a metal forum !
Paradox0 - 09.09.2010 at 21:52
Written by Vombatus on 09.09.2010 at 21:34

Written by Doc Godin on 09.09.2010 at 18:45

Written by Vombatus on 09.09.2010 at 13:45

Nowhere did it say he's joining A7X.

Then again, how much do the guys in DT suck to the point that you'd prefer the company of....*ugh* Avenged?
cipi - 09.09.2010 at 22:10
You can never put Dream Theater and Avenged Sevenfold in the same bottle but i respect his decision.
Powerslavex - 09.09.2010 at 22:29
Fuck:noidea:
X5452 - 09.09.2010 at 22:49
My internet is out for 1 day and when it finally decides to work again this is the news I get to read... Very sad news
x-avier - 09.09.2010 at 23:13
For me, DT changed really long time ago. After Kevin moore left, and Labrie lost his voice, the band was completely different from what they reprensented on their first 3 albums. Falling into infinity is a great prog album along with scenes from a memory. But i think MP took to much control of the band. The lyrics came to be written almost every single song from him petrucci or labrie. Myung wrote learning to live, trial of tears, lifting shadows of a dream, kevin moore pull me under wait for sleep 6 o clock I mean the songs that WE LOVE. My point is that if he had remained as the great drummer he is and contributing with the band like THE MIRROR of stuff like that perfect, but when you want to make DT your personal band thats different. All this gothic new style that DT started having, this metallica songs and whatever want you to call them are because of him, all the beatiful prog metal that we love in the 90s was gone. In conlcusion, MP, never saw a better drummer than him, 2 times I saw him live and once he did and improvise solo because petruccis guitar had some problems, and men he WAS the drummer. But thats life, I hope with this DT can come back to their old prog music. Hope you the best Mike
Mr. Sizzle - 10.09.2010 at 00:40
Damn... this is scary. I'm a big fan of Portnoy, but for him to leave DT like this? Unthinkable... nonetheless, all the best to him.
dark_mar - 10.09.2010 at 01:05
Good for Him. With all respect for the band and the John Petrucci, James LaBrie, John Myung...they shuld finish after Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence, and MP deserve more music focus band now - nor just speed 16/32 notes ect.
Falling Into Infinity - the bast ALBUM
Kaede - 10.09.2010 at 03:48
Written by Daniell on 09.09.2010 at 11:59

They should disband...

I do agree.
RockeRoy - 10.09.2010 at 04:07
This is so sad, i think dream theater never will be that good anymore can't think of anyone who could replace him
INÆRIS - 10.09.2010 at 07:24
Holy shit.
Korgull - 10.09.2010 at 07:44
Now hopefully they'll break up and people will finally be quiet about this crappy band.
Zyklonzack - 10.09.2010 at 07:52
You know who would make a great replacement for Portnoy. Charlie Zeleny. He's worked with Rudess before, and definately has the chops to handle all of the bands music. He even live in NYC, so he'll easily be able to record and work with the rest of the band.
the stranger - 10.09.2010 at 08:37
Jordan's words about Portnoy's departure.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

News Dream Theater - Another Update On The Mike Portnoy Saga 10.5 20.12.2010 by JÄY
News Mike Portnoy - Live Shows With Beatles Cover Band 10.5 11.01.2011 by The Shape 1973
News Mike Portnoy - Teams Up With John Sykes For New Trio 9 29.07.2011 by Dane Train
News Dream Theater - New Mike Portnoy Audio Interview Available 9 07.09.2006 by Baz Anderson
News Whyzdom - Vocalist Leaves The Band, Seek Replacement 5.5 28.06.2010 by annodomini