In a recent interview with Tomb Of The Opinionated, Obituary singer John Tardy confirmed the rumour that the band has parted ways with bass player Frank Watkins, who has been performing with the latest incarnation of Gorgoroth.

John Tardy answered to the question about Watkins' departure and replacement: "Frank is no longer in the band and Terry Butler will be doing all the shows that he can with us. Right now we are happy with that and if Terry's schedule does not allow him to play with us we can always lean on Stever DiGiorgio or Kenny Andrews."

Source: tomboftheopinionated.wordpress.com
Band profile: Obituary

Posted: 21.09.2010 by Ellrohir

Comments

Elyar S. - 21.09.2010 at 18:27
Steve well when I saw him recently in a bar in Istanbul he seemed really fucked up I dont know what happened to his left eye!
vezzy - 21.09.2010 at 19:00
I'd actually like to see Terry Butler in the band.
Koen Smits - 21.09.2010 at 22:19
I'd like to see Steve in the band for good.
Terry will do too though. Both bassplayers have a Death-history so it couldn't go wrong.
I_Die_Often - 22.09.2010 at 00:47
Terry would fit nicely since SFU started off with Obituary's sound anyway...
BudDa - 22.09.2010 at 09:19
Oh yeah, and u can always rely on DiGiorgio..
Angelic Storm - 22.09.2010 at 11:25
Written by I_Die_Often on 22.09.2010 at 00:47

Terry would fit nicely since SFU started off with Obituary's sound anyway...

Very true. Though most songs on the first two SFU albums were very bland compared to Obituary's best stuff.

I actually dont blame Frank for leaving. Obituary have been stagnating for a long time. They keep making the same album over and over again these days.
vezzy - 22.09.2010 at 11:30
Yeah, I agree. "Darkest Day" was Obituary stripped down to the basics.
Angelic Storm - 22.09.2010 at 11:43
It's sad to say, cos at their best, Obituary are one of my fave bands. The first 3 albums are total classics, especially "Cause Of Death". Then they experimented with their sound a little for "World Demise", which mostly worked, and was the last album by them I can say that I love. "Back From The Dead" and the comeback albums are just very generic, with very little variation in the material. Ocassionally, great songs came from these albums like "On The Floor" and "By The Light", but overall, they are boring albums to listen to.

Even SFU's later output is better than Obituary's, and that's hardly been great either. lol
Marcel Hubregtse - 22.09.2010 at 17:33
Written by vezzy on 21.09.2010 at 19:00

I'd actually like to see Terry Butler in the band.

He already played with them live last time I saw them a couple of months ago.
Richard - 23.09.2010 at 04:30
Written by Angelic Storm on 22.09.2010 at 11:25

From what we currently know, however, it doesn't seem clear whether it was Frank's decision to leave, and for what reason. There aren't any details about his departure, so it's unclear if he left on good terms or not, and whether he decided to quit or was kicked out. He was with Obituary for many years, so it'd be interesting to know.
Angelic Storm - 23.09.2010 at 04:34
Written by Richard on 23.09.2010 at 04:30

That is true, no reason has been given for his departure, so it's just a guess on my part that it was for musical reasons. I guess all I meant was, that if that was the reason, I wouldn't blame him. It was a bit surprising though, aside from Allen West, the lineup has been steady ever since the first album. Talking of which, I dont really think Ralph Santolla's style suits Obituary. lol
Richard - 23.09.2010 at 04:55
Written by Angelic Storm on 23.09.2010 at 04:34

Written by Richard on 23.09.2010 at 04:30

That's what I thought.. although I think Frank played on the 2nd Obituary album onwards rather than from the very beginning, but otherwise he's been there for most of the time. Considering that, I would have expected a comment like "we regret that Frank has left us, but good luck to him" or something rather than a dismissive 'oh yeah, Frank's gone but we've got someone else now' type of thing!

I wonder if his involvement with Gorgoroth played a part in it? Gorgoroth have a distinct extreme image, whereas Obituary always seemed more down to Earth, without any Satanic gimmick or anything.
Angelic Storm - 23.09.2010 at 05:18
Ah yeah, they had a different bass player on "Slowly We Rot".

Yep, the comment given would suggest the split wasnt amicable. His involvement with Gorgoroth almost certainly played a part, Imo.
BitterCOld - 23.09.2010 at 05:32
Written by Richard on 23.09.2010 at 04:55

i imagine it has nothing to do with the whole image thing. so long as he's not sporting corpse paint and battle axes he'll fit fine at an Obi show, and so long as he doesn't perform for Gorgoroth looking like a neck fresh out of the florida swamps, it's not a big issue.

if anything it's likely commitment. with both bands based on opposite sides of the pond, and who knows what for touring and recording schedules, it might make sense to remove him. he did miss a couple tours already (the aforementioned show marcel brought up, plus Steve toured with the band over the summer) ... if his commitment to Gorgoroth continues to deprive Obituary of a touring bassists and impacts creating new tunes and the recording process, it escalates from inconvenience to a serious detriment.
Malphas - 23.09.2010 at 23:53
It's a good thing they got a lot of replacements all the time xD and imo his involvment in Gorgoroth played a big part in his departure...

News Leprous - Part Ways With Bassist, Replacement Announced 7 09.08.2013 by qlacs
News Omnium Gatherum - Part Ways With Bassist 7 07.06.2008 by
News Månegarm - Part Ways With Bassist 7 01.09.2010 by Array
News Xandria - Part Ways With Bassist 7 20.07.2012 by The Shape 1973
News Neuraxis - Part Ways With Drummer And Bassist 7 13.07.2009 by Black Conundrum