Metal Storm Wants You!

In our everlasting quest for new features and developments for your favourite website, we've decided to venture into the world of smartphones. Their presence in today's society is undeniable - and still rapidly growing. We want to bring you your daily dosage of Metal as convenient as you wish, wherever you wish, whenever you wish. That's why we have to build our own Metal Storm App!

And although we know pretty much everything about Metal (just kidding guys... ), we're not so experienced in the world of applications and smartphones... which is why we need you!

If you:

- own a smartphone (doesn't matter which one / on which OS it runs - but please do specify which one/what system)
- want to contribute to this project with your experience and knowledge on this subject
- know your way around this site (doesnt have to be as a registered member, as long as you're aware of most of the features)
(- if you have experience with app development or know someone that does, please tell us!)

please send a mail to Lucas or lucasATmetalstorm.net. Together we'll discuss what you, the user, want from it (in other words, what this app needs to do/show/have) and what the possibilities, difficulties, restrictions and pitfalls are.

Further instructions will follow through PM/mail.

And what's in it for you... ? Well, you'll get the opportunity to work with some of the finest minds of Metal Storm (once again, just kidding, we're not that arrogant... ), you'll be able to make a contribution to your fav. Metal site (right?) and who knows, if you really prove your value, we may have more in store for you...

- The Metal Storm Staff

Source: metalstorm.net

Posted: 28.09.2010 by Lucas

Comments

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: [1] 2

Elodie Artour - 28.09.2010 at 22:56
Argh, too bad I'm not into technology at all... (Don't even use modern cell phones. )

Anyways, I wish you luck, guys!
Dark Blood - 28.09.2010 at 23:23
Hmm. I'm not into app development but I know a friend who might help. I'll try to talk with him.
corrupt - 28.09.2010 at 23:28
Sweet, I've been wanting to write an MS app for months. Problem is I neither have a smartphone nor the time right now. But app development is not the problem. Depends on the platform of course. But both objective C and java are solid languages and not that hard to learn for people who are interested
Ellrohir - 28.09.2010 at 23:54
Hm...now i feel kinda "out of date", while i only have very common and a number of years old phone without anything "smart" in it...
Dark Blood - 29.09.2010 at 00:48
Well, I have a smartphone with Android, bought it recently, but I don't know much about programming and writing apps. My friend does though
Dominus - 29.09.2010 at 00:58
I have a Nokia 1100
Stalker - 29.09.2010 at 01:00
Written by Dominus on 29.09.2010 at 00:58

I have a Nokia 1100

Me too, the best phone ever!
Lit. - 29.09.2010 at 01:18
I'd love to, but I don't have a fucking smart phone or any knowledge at all about apps.
You guys have fun.
@gent_-_orange - 29.09.2010 at 01:50
Metalstorm is getting closer to world domination
NeoSe7en - 29.09.2010 at 02:21
Oh man, if Metal Storm gets an iPhone app my life will be complete.
Elyar S. - 29.09.2010 at 02:48
Metal Strom needs to listen to Grave of Civilization album. Enough electronics, Im not impressed by this news.
munson - 29.09.2010 at 02:53
I'd love to do some testing on my iPhone if you need testers!
MetalSpider - 29.09.2010 at 03:00
I have an iPhone...seeing a MetalStorm iPhone app would make my day!
Doc Godin - 29.09.2010 at 03:27
Written by Elyar S. on 29.09.2010 at 02:48

Et Ermit - 29.09.2010 at 04:31
Great, I like this, count me in!
Elyar S. - 29.09.2010 at 04:33
It seems that ppl cant tolerate opposite opinions nowadays. we have to go back to middle ages then.

oh Great I have to buy an iphone

and we are against commercial things and almost all of us hate commercial bands, sweet
Derwood - 29.09.2010 at 05:32
I can volunteer for testing (have a Blackberry Curve), but my real computer skills date to DOS 5.0 and Turbo Pascal 3.2, so I won't be much help for development.
The Gaiaborne - 29.09.2010 at 05:59
Ive got a friend who has created a few apps, ill get in touch with him and see if hed whip one up for us!
..ExoTeaR.. - 29.09.2010 at 08:00
Baahhahahahaha Im such a dumb shit.... the first day i had an iphone i searched for a metalstorm app thinking id actually be able to DL one hahahahah good to see that its finally going to happen this time tho.
Doc Godin - 29.09.2010 at 09:00
Written by Elyar S. on 29.09.2010 at 04:33

oh Great I have to buy an iphone

It's less about opinions and more of you making snide comments while bringing in totally irrelevant facts to back up your bitching. As if somehow creating an app for mobiles is somehow going to prevent us from doing our regular business. You want people to listen to that album? Then bring it up somewhere else, it really has no application whatsoever to the subject at hand, nor to whatever point it is you were trying to make.

B) Regarding your following comment; no, you won't have to buy an Iphone, it's highly unlikely that it will contain anything not already available via a regular computer.

C) It's not about opposing opinions, it's about you making a stupid comment.

So I'm curious, what is exactly wrong with creating a mobile app? Please state so in a clear, straightforward manner, as so far all your comments have been irrelevant, vague, or just utterly pointless.
Acolyt#1 - 29.09.2010 at 10:23
To design a website for smart phones you'll have to follow these steps:
- Decide the content you want to bring to smartphone users. They probably don't want the whole package.
- Write a new XHTML strict version of these pages you want to show taking in account the poor accessibility of these devices. The choice of making it strict will help you work on the webkit engine which runs on iPhone and Android web browsers by default.
- Make it light.
Elyar S. - 29.09.2010 at 11:16
So simple, I wont use such things but just very important things when Im not home. Like immediate need of knowledge about my bank account or ...

Too much electronics and computers. Its enough when you see some of your friends are sending sms all the time (it makes me sick lol). Human being needs a little normal life too. Its all virtual nowadays. Now they are reading books in electronic devices, totally seems like shit for me. And I think its not just me who thinks this way. I dont know maybe I will change too who knows but for now Im not into these things.
jupitreas - 29.09.2010 at 11:42
Well, there is a certain minimum of intelligence required to learn how to use the latest and greatest mobile devices so I'm not surprised that you have problems with getting onboard.
Elyar S. - 29.09.2010 at 11:57
Written by jupitreas on 29.09.2010 at 11:42

who exactly you mean and what are you trying to say? I didnt understand it to be honest.
jupitreas - 29.09.2010 at 11:59
Written by Elyar S. on 29.09.2010 at 11:57

I didnt understand it to be honest.

My point exactly
!J.O.O.E.! - 29.09.2010 at 12:06
Haha, he straight walked into that one. What a muppet.
Elyar S. - 29.09.2010 at 12:06
Written by jupitreas on 29.09.2010 at 11:59

Written by Elyar S. on 29.09.2010 at 11:57

I didnt understand it to be honest.

My point exactly

ok just calm down Im not an Adulator over here and not an ass licker for sure. Im frank but Im polite!!! there are differences lol

Just for more information I have to say that I had a big computer shop for years and I know what all this shit is about, I hate it and it doesnt mean I hate MS, I love MS but Im not agree with all of things which happens here (and its normal I think). Im frank and that makes some ppl sick of me sometimes and my signature is all about that.
Elyar S. - 29.09.2010 at 12:27
Ok, I dont want to start challenging with some staff over here because I dont have good memories about it lol, my words were all crap about this topic. Im just out of it plz no more angry quotes.
Ilham - 29.09.2010 at 13:05
I already check Metalstorm via a simple web browser from my phone. I wouldn't really need an application since I can use all MS features from the phone web browser, but one thing that could be improved is the loading time of the content, which takes too long in my opinion. Maybe come up with a simplified version for mobile ?
jupitreas - 29.09.2010 at 13:09
I also think the first step is to make a m.metalstorm.net kind of mobile-formatted website that does not load many images and stuff. Such a webpage would work on all mobile devices too, which is nice.
wrathchild - 29.09.2010 at 15:04
Written by jupitreas on 29.09.2010 at 13:09

I approve of that.
jupitreas - 29.09.2010 at 15:07
Written by wrathchild on 29.09.2010 at 15:04

Written by jupitreas on 29.09.2010 at 13:09

I approve of that.

If I am not mistaken, this is relatively easy to do since all it takes is defining a particular style using CSS. This means we can do that ourselves.
wrathchild - 29.09.2010 at 15:11
Written by jupitreas on 29.09.2010 at 15:07

You're not mistaken.

EDIT: well I meant, it's the easiest and fastest way to make one, but of course the perfect thing is to also remove everything that would be of no - or little - use. And of course, you might want to have a dedicated navigation system.
mariano - 29.09.2010 at 16:42
Written by Lucas on 28.09.2010 at 00:00

Good luck getting someone to do it for free
Valentin B - 29.09.2010 at 17:47
I thought Insineratehymn was Metal Storm's very own "Think Tank"
Maxx666 - 29.09.2010 at 18:18
Oh man i am a programmer myself...i know lots of languages out there including assembly language.:naughty:

But alas i don't know how to write apps for smart phones..i have never made any smart phones app.. although i know quite something about J2ME i'm not sure whether that will be any helpful:noidea:
Lucas - 29.09.2010 at 19:21
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm going to reply to a few of you individually through PM in the next hour.

By the way - we're first going to determine what this app needs to do, only then we're going to look for a developer. You don't need any programming/it-knowledge at this point. Sorry if I made that unclear.

And mariano, the developer won't be asked to do it for free.
Meller - 29.09.2010 at 19:26
OK... sorry already, as this is a bit out of topic, but I just couldn't help noticing that when someone states his dislike of modern "right here, right now" applications invading our everyday life, he gets immediate ridicule and gets labeled as a retard by those who are for these things. Like Elyar S. said, looks like opposing opinions are enough to get stoned, no matter what kind of culture you live in. Oh, how happy and proud I feel for my fellow metalheads...

Personally, I also dislike these devices and applications trying to invade my personal space everywhere I go. And I also work in the field of ICT so I'm not completely unfamiliar with the technology, although I wouldn't say I'm an expert either. I'm definitely not against the technology and it's evolution, but it has some very unexpected and sometimes even serious social consequences in the long run. One of these not-so-nice phenomenons is the animosity internet gives, and makes it possible to insult someone with very little or no consequences, which obliterates one of the most important aspects of intelligent communication between people: politeness. Besides, flush your common sense and critizism down the toilet today, be the slave tomorrow... If someone outcries for this common sense and critizism and just states he's not thrilled for this possible new feature on metal storm, I think the proper way to answer is not just say "fuck you and your opinions" with a sarcastic picture.

I think Elyar S. 's opinion was blunt and short, but honest and not at all that stupid. Is it that bad to use a metal band as a "reference", so to say, to underline one's opinion, since a) it's a metal music forum, and b) band's name tells what's it all about and what the writer wants to say, even if you don't listen even one song from the said band. So, the point is very well illustrated and quite appropriate, no matter whether you agree or disagree with the writer's opinion. What's so stupid about that?

If someone is willing to continue this discussion further (about ICT invasion or communication in general), I'd be happy to share thoughts, for and against it, on elsewhere or with private messages. But might be a good idea to stop it here and now in this topic. And of course I wish all the best for MS and it's efforts to get more followers on this great, all the time evolving and promising community, although personally I'm not on fire for a new application to run on my cellphone / palm / whatever portable communication device you use. Smoke, Grind & Sleep.
Doc Godin - 29.09.2010 at 20:19
Written by Meller on 29.09.2010 at 19:26

You gotta understand, it wasn't so much the fact that he had an opposing opinion but rather the slightly condescending tone it was stated in. He was a problem user who was banned in the past, so you'll notice how his posts get polite the moment a staffer challenges him on his oh-so-insightful commentary.

Secondly, this wasn't a thread to discuss our opinions on the matter, but more just to get a little input to help us build it. I'm sure PM'ing a staff to open a thread about it in the website discussion if there is the need to bitch would be perfectly fine.
Meller - 29.09.2010 at 20:38
OK Doc, fair enough - after the explanation I understand better your method of answer, since it is known and well accepted that picture says more than a thousand words. I am new here and do not know the history of the site or this particular user's way of communications, so I react only to what I see, and that was the reason your reply to the guy seemed rude. That method is still at least somewhat disagreeable to me, though the picture is funny as hell.

What I can agree with is the fact that this thread exists for different reasons than ranting for or against modern technology, but to have knowledgeable input for you guys. So, as stated, let's not swamp this thread further on with this. And back to the business at hand with next poster, I hope...
Boxcar Willy - 29.09.2010 at 21:18
I want to help but i dont know how i copuld?
jupitreas - 29.09.2010 at 21:29
Whatever the broader social implication of the increased use of mobile devices might be, its not really our concern here. We know that some (if not most) of our users have smartphones and use them to access online information. Why not make it a little easier for these people? You don't have to use it if you don't want to.
Lucas - 29.09.2010 at 21:33
Written by Boxcar Willy on 29.09.2010 at 21:18

I want to help but i dont know how i copuld?

Do you own a smartphone? Do you plan on buying one? Can you thinking of anything you'd like to do on ms on your phone of you would have one? If so, let me know.
Boxcar Willy - 29.09.2010 at 21:41
Written by Lucas on 29.09.2010 at 21:33

Written by Boxcar Willy on 29.09.2010 at 21:18

I want to help but i dont know how i copuld?

i am thinking of getting one if i do i would like the app to be able to veiw my profile and edit it from my phone.
Boxcar Willy - 29.09.2010 at 21:42
Written by Dominus on 29.09.2010 at 00:58

I have a Nokia 1100

lol
Edmund Fogg - 29.09.2010 at 22:12
My idea of an Ms app would be the review and new releases section plus the updates and inbox.I don't have a smartphone myself but for those out there who are always on the run, I think it would be great
BitterCOld - 29.09.2010 at 22:52
Quick and easy access to user record collections and wish lists would also be nice.

i know i lose about 80 IQ points when i set foot in the local record store and cannot for the life of me remember all the cd's i want and need to hunt for. quick and easy access to my wishlist would make it easier for us senile folks.

(i can do so now on my crackberry, but it takes forever to load - even bookmarked. thinking there might be a way to streamline it)
Lucas - 29.09.2010 at 23:09
Written by Boxcar Willy on 29.09.2010 at 21:41

Written by Lucas on 29.09.2010 at 21:33

Written by Boxcar Willy on 29.09.2010 at 21:18

I want to help but i dont know how i copuld?

Ok, got that.
Lucas - 29.09.2010 at 23:11
Written by Edmund Fogg on 29.09.2010 at 22:12

Got it! I'm thinking we should use something like that 'Live Feed' from Facebook. You probably don't know what that is if you don't have a smartphone, but it's basically a list of all people who like your status updates, comment on them, etc. We could use that for our notifications, updates, pms, new posts in topics etc.
ANGEL REAPER - 29.09.2010 at 23:33
Forget the idea about smartphone apps....why?
well :
1.Each smartphone is different,therefore writing an app is pain in the ass because you will need a different app for each smartphone(and OS) ,making things too complicated....
2.Apps are generally harder to write than some m.metalstorm.ee site optimised for all kind of cellphones that support wap/gprs/bluetooth/wireless/3G networks and such...
4. not everyone got a smartphone,so why to reduce a number of people that would use your new mobile version of site?
5.Security risks while implementing support for app client to use site's SQL database ....

I belive that making some mobile version of sit will be better idea...

Anyway i have some expirience with C++,C#,SQL coding and I am willing to help as much i can....

Pages: [1] 2

News Metal Storm - Our Official MySpace Page Is Open 6 01.12.2006 by Jeff
News Greatest Metal Video Ever... So You Think Metal Can't Dance Edition 6 01.08.2010 by Ancient Ruin
General metal forum Where do you think metal will be in 20 years? 5 06.12.2011 by
General metal forum Do you think metal fans are more intelligent than the average person? 5 20.07.2009 by Haddonfield
General metal forum Great Bands You Discovered Thanks To Metal Storm 5 08.06.2006 by Taktsekte