Finnish metallers Nightwish have officially started recording the follow-up to 2007's Dark Passion Play. Drummer Jukka Nevalainen has issued the following update on the band's official website:

"After spending an intensive summer camp on Finnish countryside and putting a final touch to the demo, we started recording the drums for our next album. We gathered together yesterday and set up the drums and all the recording devices. Today was mostly spent just perfecting the sounds. Just like with our last album we got some back-up from Mr. Kai Hahto (Swallow The Sun & Wintersun), who is known to be able to conjure godly sounds by tuning the drums. The legendary duet of Mikko Karmila and TeeCee Kinnunen are taking care of the engineering again. Tonight ended with a complete take of the first song, so the recording session has now officially started!"

Source: nightwish.com
Band profile: Nightwish

Posted: 17.10.2010 by csiga

Comments

Westvann - 17.10.2010 at 00:51
Hmm, sounds interesting. can't wait for this album, i hope it will kick ass
Kap'N Korrupt - 17.10.2010 at 01:38
I thought that they would never begin recording another album...
Ellrohir - 17.10.2010 at 01:56
Why you thought so? it is promised by band members at least since 2009
mikeprado30 - 17.10.2010 at 02:11
Excellent! I hope Anette's voice will improve her first attempt with Nightwish. Something gives me the feeling that she will be like Ramón Lage in the Spanish band Avalanch, at the beginning he wasn't accepted by the fans, but now he is loved for all of us., all because he has taken the direction to improve in his voice quality, and Anette has told that her vocal level is also soprano, and with practice she will be better, I hope so, for Nightwish's sake (even when I enjoyed greatly the Dark Passion Play)

And also, I hope more Marco's vocal parts
Dead Winter Days - 17.10.2010 at 02:16
Nightwish I love you so fucking much!!!!!11
bluegreengod - 17.10.2010 at 04:08
Hell yes! I can't wait for this new one to come out. I like all of Nightwish's work from Oceanborn to DPP. In my opinion, they have so much more potential with the new singer though.
Stabby - 17.10.2010 at 05:05
Written by Guest on 17.10.2010 at 04:08

I agree. Dark Passion Play was just straight-up more interesting for me than their previous albums, and that was their first attempt at writing an album with the new singer so given their incredible songwriting talent we can expect something even better. Like DPP ++
MeTalRea|istiK - 17.10.2010 at 05:58
Yeah!!!cant wait for this!!!cant get enough with anette..LOVE U ANETTE!!!
insanity.peppers - 17.10.2010 at 06:26
As the late Big Kev used to say,

I'M EXCITED
Black Conundrum - 17.10.2010 at 08:15
Good news. I will look forward to this.
Cassian - 17.10.2010 at 09:34
I'm wondering how they're gonna do this time. ''Dark Passion Play'' was a really alluring cd.
Dark Blood - 17.10.2010 at 10:50
I wish I was I excited about Anette as most of you are... Musically the last album was very good, but her vocals left me with a feeling of weakness and lack of power from her part. But either way I'm exited about this, and I hope her voice will improve.
Rasa - 17.10.2010 at 11:20
Finaly.
Jon - 17.10.2010 at 14:35
I'm interested to hear it, but I must admit I'm a little saddened because it means there's Nightwish recordings, a couple of world tours and a whole buttload of other promotion to get through before the next Tarot album
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk - 17.10.2010 at 14:56
New Nigthwish is always interesting. But have mr. Hietala sing more please!
The Shape 1973 - 17.10.2010 at 15:50
Not really thinking about this yet. Will probably be about a year till we get a finished album. Then we will get six months of Tarja lovers complaining how pop it is, while the rest of us enjoy Tuomas' genius.
Elodie Artour - 17.10.2010 at 19:30
Hell yeah! Finally!
Jon - 17.10.2010 at 19:38
Never been sure about Tuomas being a genius, but the inevitable message board wankery that will doubtless ensue will be a royal pain in the arse. I'm not either side of the fence, I'm equally irritated by the Tarja-loyalists and the Annette lovers. Plenty of badly spelled, over the top forum posts from both camps over the next 12 months I'm sure.
Anibx - 17.10.2010 at 20:08
Written by The Shape 1973 on 17.10.2010 at 15:50

Agreed
Anibx - 17.10.2010 at 20:11
Written by Jon on 17.10.2010 at 14:35

Tarot had just release a album. It's time of some nightwish.
ErnilEnNaur - 17.10.2010 at 22:00
I'd wish them good luck, but looking back on their previous releases, they don't need for the recording process. I just hope Tuomas put effort into all of the songs on the album this time, because I don't want to have to listen to three mediocre songs after an awesome song before getting to the next awesome song as in - "Poet and the Pendulum" ("Bye bye whatever" Amawhatever, Cadance of whatever), Master Passion Greed". You had the time Tuomas, you'd better deliver your first real masterpiece.
Winterthrone - 17.10.2010 at 23:32
Can't wait to listen to it!
Damnated_Soul - 18.10.2010 at 02:23
Putting expectations in this one... Hope they get better than DPP.
GT - 18.10.2010 at 09:53
Nice news indeed
Jon - 18.10.2010 at 15:17
Written by Anibx on 17.10.2010 at 20:11

Written by Jon on 17.10.2010 at 14:35

Tarot had just release a album. It's time of some nightwish.

Yeah and that is a sweet-ass album. It's kind of like the weekend - we're now at the point when it's the longest time until another one!
lingus99 - 18.10.2010 at 19:11
You've got to remember that when DPP was written, there was no singer with the band. This new album will be written knowing Anette's range and ability.

I really like DPP, but I must admit not as much as Century Child or Once. I'm still looking forward to this one though.
RavenKing - 19.10.2010 at 13:41
The appeal of this band always eluded me. I guess I will never understand how such a boring band can become so popular and draw so much attention.
GT - 19.10.2010 at 14:36
Written by RavenKing on 19.10.2010 at 13:41

The same way some of us can't understand how "puking in a microphone" can be appealing to some
Sulac - 28.12.2010 at 05:50
Yes! This means another tour!

News Ensiferum - Begin Recording New Album 7 19.02.2012 by Windrider