Courtesy of Blabbermouth:

Wendy Dio, the wife/manager of late heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio, has told VH1 Radio that she encourages the surviving members of Heaven And Hell Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Vinny Appice to work together again under a different moniker.

"I don't know what they're doing right now," she said. "I know that Geezer's been asked several times, and he's just... he took it very hard. I don't really know what they're doing right now. They should do something else, with Vinny, too. I mean, the band was amazing, an amazing band and they should carry on to do something. It won't be called Heaven And Hell but whatever they call it, it will be great, it will be amazing."

On July 24, 2010, Iommi, Butler and Appice performed together at the High Voltage Festival at Victoria Park in London as a tribute to their fallen bandmate, Ronnie James Dio. Back then they were joined by legendary former Deep Purple/Black Sabbath singer Glenn Hughes and Masterplan vocalist Jorn Lande - who recently released his own tribute to Dio.

Source: roadrunnerrecords.com
Band profile: Heaven And Hell

Posted: 25.11.2010 by Thryce

Comments

Lit. - 25.11.2010 at 21:11
Hmmm.... Perhaps if they hired Ozzy....
They can call it Black Sabbath, like that band Ozzy used to play with...
Angelic Storm - 25.11.2010 at 21:31
They should just go back to being Black Sabbath, though Ozzy (or should I say Sharon) would probably put the kybosh on that. lol Id like to see them work with Ian Gillan again, I think that could be very interesting...
Silent Jay - 25.11.2010 at 21:47
Get Glenn Hughes back and do another album. Mix of The Devil You Know and Fused? lol
Ellrohir - 25.11.2010 at 21:49
I agree with her

besides - "_insert_cool_metal_name_here_ - band by former Heaven & Hell members formed after Dio passed out" would sound more cool than "Heaven & Hell - with new singer after Dio passed out" to me...
Csabi - 25.11.2010 at 21:57
Something with Tony Martin would really kick.
RavenLord - 25.11.2010 at 22:40
Written by Csabi on 25.11.2010 at 21:57

Something with Tony Martin would really kick.

This. Most underappreciated Sabbatg vocalist. Ozzy's a train wreck - get Martin back on board and record another Headless Cross.
The Shape 1973 - 25.11.2010 at 22:57
After hearing Jorn's Dio tribute album he is the man to carry the torch.
SlaytanicGonzo - 25.11.2010 at 23:50
They should reunite with Ozzy and tour under the Black Sabbath name. Seeing the first metal band of all time live is one of my dreams
SBGMetal - 26.11.2010 at 02:44
I wouldnt mind seeing tony martin come back somethin like headless cross would be soo cool
Super_Greg - 26.11.2010 at 06:24
Written by The Shape 1973 on 25.11.2010 at 22:57

After hearing Jorn's Dio tribute album he is the man to carry the torch.

Agreed.
Angelic Storm - 26.11.2010 at 06:45
Written by The Shape 1973 on 25.11.2010 at 22:57

After hearing Jorn's Dio tribute album he is the man to carry the torch.

Although in a way I agree with this, I think choosing Jorn would to a lot of people, seem like an attempt to replace Dio. Although Jorn is great at singing Dio's stuff, and is an awesome vocalist, Id prefer the band to work with Ian Gillan or Tony Martin again.
Jan - 26.11.2010 at 07:04
Or try somebody new - it seemed to work for Accept.

I think it would be a mistake looking to the past...
Angelic Storm - 26.11.2010 at 07:24
Written by Jan on 26.11.2010 at 07:04

Or try somebody new - it seemed to work for Accept.

I think it would be a mistake looking to the past...

One of the reasons it worked for Accept is that Mark Tonillo sounds similar to Udo. Jorn is as close to sounding like Dio than anyone is ever likely to be. Which has its positives and its negatives, depending on how you want to look at it. With Ian Gillan, I kinda feel like there's unfinished business there. He was very underappreciated as Sabbath vocalist, imo. Probably because he wasnt there for very long. The one thing I am certain of, is that I want Geezer, Tony, and Vinnie to keep working together in a musical capacity. Whether its with Jorn, Gillan, or whoever else, I'll be interested in listening to it, because they work so well together as a unit. Can they replace Dio? No. But they sure as hell can still make some more awesome music with another singer of the right calibre. xD

Oh, and I think getting back with Ozzy would be a bad move...
Black Conundrum - 26.11.2010 at 09:59
This is interesting news. I wonder what will happen with this musical endeavor.
Jon - 26.11.2010 at 14:32
In my opinion Jorn, although an incredibly talented singer who usually delivers on all his projects, sounded uninspiring on his Dio album. In a Heaven & Hell spinoff he'd sound like a mediocre replacement. The band can't replace Dio, that's the point of changing the name.

However Iommi has still got two of the best musicians to play in Sabbath there and hiring Tony Martin would be a nice meeting of the two major latter-day eras of Sabbath. Glenn Hughes might not be right for the band's sound if they want to follow on from Heaven & Hell, and hopefully he'll show up on another Iommi project. He should avoid Ozzy and his media carousel like an invitation to a free movie showing by the "Church of Latter Day Saints" which includes a small "talk" beforehand.

Iommi is currently working with Ian Gillan on a charity track with Nicko McBrain, and something might come out of that. Iommi and Gillan had also discussed an EP, so I'm not sure how extensive this collaboration is.

Getting someone new to Sabbath (not Jorn) in is a decent idea too.
Doc Godin - 27.11.2010 at 02:14
I really hope they take her words seriously. But personally I'd like to see them choose someone...Not so obvious. I think it would neat to hear that same band with a singer they chose out of the blue, someone totally different and unexpected.

Thats just me fantasizing though, they'll probably choose someone really obvious like Glenn Hughes.
Jan - 27.11.2010 at 10:46
Written by Angelic Storm on 26.11.2010 at 07:24

Granted - but only one of the reasons and but interested in the context of the old songs. But UDO has a real special voice, making this a special case.

Coming to think of it; if Iommi & Co had thought like that back in the day, Heaven & Hell would never had happened. (Uh, yeah, he can sing, but we need to find somebody who sound more like Ozzy. )

Somebody different would perhaps make something new and magical.

Written by Angelic Storm on 26.11.2010 at 07:24

Oh, and I think getting back with Ozzy would be a bad move...

What the man said...
Angelic Storm - 27.11.2010 at 15:39
Written by Jon on 26.11.2010 at 14:32

Getting someone new to Sabbath (not Jorn) in is a decent idea too.

I did not know that! Thanks for the info. Although I do know that Tony Iommi and Gillan did a re-recording of "Trashed" a couple of years back. xD I guess with this situation, Id be surprised if there hasnt been talk between Tony and Ian of working together on a more long term project. Personally, Id be very interested in hearing a collaboration between Gillan and the Sabbath guys again. \m/

Written by Jan on 27.11.2010 at 10:46

Somebody different would perhaps make something new and magical.

Somebody new could either be amazing, or a total disaster. Taking on a total unknown has a greater risk factor, but also a bigger pay off if he fits with the band, and is a great singer. I suspect if they do stay together, they will play it safe. Which is all well and good, as long as the music is good. xD

Written by Angelic Storm on 26.11.2010 at 07:24
What the man said...

Man, what? Im not a man. lol
Jan - 28.11.2010 at 08:37
Written by Angelic Storm on 27.11.2010 at 15:39

Man, what? Im not a man. lol

Ooops. sorry
The Shape 1973 - 28.11.2010 at 13:23
Written by Angelic Storm on 26.11.2010 at 06:45

Written by The Shape 1973 on 25.11.2010 at 22:57

After hearing Jorn's Dio tribute album he is the man to carry the torch.

I normally agree with your learned words of wisdom, but on this occasion maybe not. For me the Tony Martin phase of Black Sabbath was a bit dull and boring. When you compare the power delivered with RJD on the three occasions they got together I don't think Tony can recreate this. The versatility of Jorn's voice and the power he delivers would be better for my tastes.

If Jorn didn't want to do it then maybe Marco Hietala from Tarot. He can wail.

Just not that washed up brummie and his dictator wife.
Angelic Storm - 28.11.2010 at 14:07
Written by The Shape 1973 on 28.11.2010 at 13:23

If Jorn didn't want to do it then maybe Marco Hietala from Tarot. He can wail.

Just not that washed up brummie and his dictator wife.

Words of wisdom? Me? I think you must have me mixed up with someone else.. lol

I do agree that the power of the Sabbath guys with Dio isnt matched by the Martin era. Although I have heard him singing some Dio era Sabbath tracks, and he gave surprisingly good performances of them. xD As for Jorn, well, he was one of my favourite singers anyway, even before he started doing the Dio stuff. And he definitely does it justice. I certainly wouldnt object to them getting together with Jorn, although part of me does hope they do something more long term with Gillan...

Written by Jan on 28.11.2010 at 08:37
Ooops. sorry

Hehe That's okay
ThrashMetal - 29.11.2010 at 04:50
A come back with Tony Martin would be great !

News Heaven And Hell - Tribute Show To Ronnie James Dio 9 16.06.2010 by Shadowcross
Reviews Heaven And Hell - The Devil You Know 6 04.08.2009 by Biedrik
Albums Heaven And Hell - The Devil You Know 6 23.05.2010 by SBGMetal
Events AUS, Sydney - Black Sabbath - The Dio Years: Heaven and Hell Tour 6 08.08.2007 by Daniel
Events NZL, Auckland - Black Sabbath - The Dio Years: Heaven and Hell Tour 6 15.06.2007 by Syk