Metal Blade Records press release

Kings of Swedish death metal Amon Amarth have just announced the title of the band's forthcoming album as Surtur Rising.

Due out in the spring of 2011, Surtur Rising marks the group's 8th full-length studio release and undoubtedly one of 2011's most anticipated releases by fans and critics alike. Surtur Rising is the follow up to the highly acclaimed, 2008 release, Twilight of the Thunder God, which landed the #7 spot in Revolver Magazine's Top 20 Albums of 2008 and what Metal Sucks called "[a] bottomless gauntlet of riffs that the band endlessly takes gargantuan swigs from, sounding both lush and emotive as well as skull crushingly heavy... every goddamn one is a chest-beating anthem."

Outburn declared how Twilight Of The Thunder God "will render you nothing short of ecstatic" and Time Out New York noted that "Amon Amarth plays some of the most unabashedly epic metal you're likely to find these days."

Be sure to stay tuned to MetalBlade.com for more details on Surtur Rising.

Source: metalblade.com
Band profile: Amon Amarth

Posted: 30.11.2010 by White Winter Sun

Comments

Introspekrieg - 30.11.2010 at 22:36
I thought it was going to be called "We Love Grapes"
Valentin B - 30.11.2010 at 22:38
Kings of swedish death metal? AA is one of my favorite bands, but they are NOT death metal.

but then again it is the press release of the label and they just want to attract attention maybe.
Vitriolic Hate - 30.11.2010 at 23:04
I hope it's not a mid-tempo album.
Windrider - 30.11.2010 at 23:06
AA is Viking Melodeath...
Anyways this is a really promising title! I like Surtr lol...
I expect either something incredible fast or heavy as fuck...
Holy Man - 30.11.2010 at 23:10
So... Fuckin... Stoked...
Metal George - 30.11.2010 at 23:25
Finally! i need some good viking metal.
Vombatus - 30.11.2010 at 23:49
Hope it will be fuckin' fast, heavy, headbanging... but with Surtur in the title, one can only expect that

AA are death metal... melodic death metal to be exact. Only "viking" in their lyrics, music-wise they don't sound like others of the genre.
Deadmeat - 01.12.2010 at 01:34
1 good news. till now, this band has never disappointed!
Black Conundrum - 01.12.2010 at 02:14
Oh, Surtr. Yes! The album's title already sounds good.
Yojimbo - 01.12.2010 at 02:24
I'm psyched. I love all their albums. And, yes, they are most certainly death metal. Few vocalists can compare to Johan.
MétalNoir - 01.12.2010 at 02:51
Surt ("The Black"): in Norse mythology, a Fire-Giant, king of Muspellheim, land of the primordial fire Muspell. It has been said that on Ragnarok, the Twilight of the Powers, Surt shall invade Asgard bearing a burning blade of sunfire and leading a horde of Muspell-sons. There, on the battlefield, the giant shall slay the god Freyr.

... sounds sweet
worm_is_gloaming - 01.12.2010 at 03:42
Well, the title goes great with their "trademark" fire imagery, at least - let's hope it will sound that way too!

2011 is shaping up to be great for new metal albums
Sulac - 01.12.2010 at 06:05
Anyone else hope Loke's Treachery Pt II is on here?
BMR Monkey - 01.12.2010 at 07:13
Written by Sulac on 01.12.2010 at 06:05

Anyone else hope Loke's Treachery Pt II is on here?

i was going to post that....
cant wait to the 2nd part hope to be at least as god as the 1st part is
In Bone Factory - 01.12.2010 at 07:15
OMG this one will be great too.
PrimalAntagonist - 01.12.2010 at 07:36
This is coming too late.......i knew the title abt a week ago
visiblenoise - 01.12.2010 at 09:39
I hope this album title means it'll be extra aggressive!
Kwis - 01.12.2010 at 09:47
I'm super excited for this! Can't wait. If it's anything like Twilight of the Thunder God, I'm gonna be in heaven.
Mikyz - 01.12.2010 at 10:34
This is one of my most anticipated releases for next year, I hope it wont disappoint, AA rarely do.
FeskarN - 01.12.2010 at 11:57
Written by Kwis on 01.12.2010 at 09:47

Indeed. TOTTG is a amazing album. Looking forward to hear some new material!
Dark Blood - 01.12.2010 at 15:19
Great news. I can't wait for this one, but it'd be great if this would come out something more like Oden.
s_t_s - 02.12.2010 at 15:17
Twilight of the thunder god is my favourite Amon Amarth album and I hope they keep going like this !
Forsaker - 02.12.2010 at 16:09
Gd news
4look4rd - 02.12.2010 at 19:15
Written by Vombatus on 30.11.2010 at 23:49

I don't think there is such thing as Viking Metal, most of the bands labeled that way actually play folk influenced black/death/power/whatever-metal with Viking themed lyrics.
hadriel - 02.12.2010 at 22:45
Written by 4look4rd on 02.12.2010 at 19:15

Written by Vombatus on 30.11.2010 at 23:49

Agreed, there is no such thing as viking metal.
Vombatus - 03.12.2010 at 01:32
Written by 4look4rd on 02.12.2010 at 19:15

Written by Vombatus on 30.11.2010 at 23:49

I do consider "Hammerheart" to be viking metal... oh well, it's all down to each ones opinion. But what you said is accurate, specially concerning black metal influence.
RavenKing - 06.12.2010 at 01:15
Written by Vitriolic Hate on 30.11.2010 at 23:04

I hope it's not a mid-tempo album.

I bet anything you want it will be exactly that: a mid-tempo album. That's all this band does since a long time. And that's my main gripe and the reason I find this band quite boring after a few songs: it is roughly the same tempo from song to song and there is very little tempo variation in the songs themselves. So, in the end, their songs are pretty much at the same speed and sound too much alike to keep things interesting.

Mid-tempo songs can be great and slower parts in a song are often welcome but an album full of mid-tempo songs is boring, even when the songs, taken individually, are good.

News Amon Amarth - Bloodshed Over Bochum, Album Title Revealed 10.5 27.06.2008 by Deadsoulman
News Amon Amarth - New Album Title, Track Listing & Release Date Announced 10.5 21.08.2006 by ThunderAxe1989
News Amon Amarth - New Album Cover Art And Tracklist Revealed 10.5 18.01.2011 by Dark Blood
News Amon Amarth - New Album Title And Artwork Unveiled 10.5 12.04.2013 by J. N.
News Amon Amarth - To Start Mixing New Album; First Track Names Revealed 10.5 06.06.2006 by