Ex-Dream Theater drummer Mike Portnoy - who joined Avenged Sevenfold in the studio and on a US tour earlier this year - has issued the following update on his Facebook page:

"Yes, the rumours are true... Sadly my time with Avenged Sevenfold has come to an end...

The band has decided to carry on into 2011 without me... I had a great time with them throughout 2010, but it was their choice to end the relationship at the end of 2010 as was always the initial plan....

I had an awesome time on stage with the guys every night and have so many cool memories from the experience with them... I am proud to always be part of the A7X family and history. I also adore the A7X fans and totally appreciate the way they welcomed me aboard and were so loving and supportive during my time with the band... Thank you!

As far as my future, I am excited by the endless musical possibilities that lie ahead of me... My love for music runs very deep and my taste is very broad and ecclectic which will give me the chance to explore many different things and collaborate with many great friends and artists I admire and respect...

Happy Holidaze to you all and c-ya in the New Year."

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Avenged Sevenfold

Posted: 17.12.2010 by Kriegsphilosoph

Comments

INÆRIS - 17.12.2010 at 11:23
At least he's done with wretched Sevenfold. Goddamn. Hopefully he does something worthwhile. As for Sevenfold, I hope they crash and burn. While Portnoy says how the A7X fans welcomed him aboard, the Dream Theater fans were going "aaaaaah SHIT!" I'm so mad about this whole ordeal. Why did he leave DT? After all he's done? Petrucci said in that recent Roadrunner records interview that the biggest thing he learned this year was, "Don't let your drummer fill in for another band." Obviously, John Petrucci's as upset as we are.
LeChron James - 17.12.2010 at 11:28
Well that was quick.
BloodTears - 17.12.2010 at 11:52
What did I tell u Kap?
Zhao - 17.12.2010 at 12:34
Oh well, someone like Portnoy wont stay under the radar for too long.
Prisoner - 17.12.2010 at 12:48
Good lord!! (funny is avenged sevenfold decided to end it not mike (palmface))
Valentin B - 17.12.2010 at 12:58
Written by Guest on 17.12.2010 at 12:48

Good lord!! (funny is avenged sevenfold decided to end it not mike (palmface))

unlike with that infinitely more meaningful and better band.. what was their name again??

i think the dude just needs a break, judging by what's happened in the past months he seems a bit lost to be honest, i guess a few months on his own trying to straighten things out would be quite welcome.
BudDa - 17.12.2010 at 13:09
Very soon and mark my words..very soon..we are going to have news that'll read like this..
"Mike Portnoy rejoins Dream Theater"
HateSpark - 17.12.2010 at 13:13
It looks like he doesn't know who he is
Ellrohir - 17.12.2010 at 13:42
He wasnt good enough to satisfy A7K needs
PrimalAntagonist - 17.12.2010 at 15:23
Time for an all new frontier of Portnoy.....I hope he does some extreme metal........
Asunder - 17.12.2010 at 15:30
Maybe they realized Portnoy is just as old as DT is now, i just dont think he fit in very well here
4look4rd - 17.12.2010 at 16:20
Dream Theater is one of those bands that keep on releasing great albums along the years. It's going to be really interesting to see an album without Portnoy, but we all know that he is coming back =D
nb - 17.12.2010 at 16:30
Good for Mike. I hope to see him back with some awesome project. I would not mind more Transatlantic stuff. Or maybe now that he is not in DT, they can do some new Liquid Tension and not say any more that it is 3/5 DT, it would only be 2/5 DT now.
The Voyager - 17.12.2010 at 18:40
Written by BudDa on 17.12.2010 at 13:09

"Mike Portnoy rejoins Dream Theater"

Totally agree with you there, man. It would shock me if that wasn't the case.
JD - 17.12.2010 at 18:49
I don't care, he should join Bullet for my valntine
Xtopher - 17.12.2010 at 19:09
OMG, what a Fail! I bet he left DT so sevenfold accepts him as a permanent member and but they didnt care about that and threw him off the boat, now Mike has nowhere to go and lots of "enemies" all around now.
I hope he finds his way though...
The Shape 1973 - 17.12.2010 at 20:58
Written by BudDa on 17.12.2010 at 13:09

"Mike Portnoy rejoins Dream Theater"

I'll give it a couple of months before you see this headline. You know get Christmas out of the way then look for a new job and realize you were better off back in DT.
Lit. - 17.12.2010 at 22:28
He left? I didn't even know he was gonna stay.
Carrion Misery - 17.12.2010 at 23:02
"Well, Mike... you're... you're just too good, you see? We asked you to tone it down, but it just isn't working. You out shine us and we really just care about being rock stars and not playing this 'metal' thing. So...uh. good bye."
MetallicA_3 - 18.12.2010 at 00:40
Although that i love u Mike bt really u deserve that cause u left The gr8 DT
aporyon - 18.12.2010 at 21:27
Written by HateSpark on 17.12.2010 at 13:13

It looks like he doesn't know who he is

you just have to look at his picture to realize that
Kincaid - 18.12.2010 at 23:35
I will ask him to join our band. I'm sure he will have more fun than he did with avenged boys
MetallicA_3 - 19.12.2010 at 15:30
Written by Kincaid on 18.12.2010 at 23:35

looooolz u alright man totally agree wz u
Angelic Storm - 20.12.2010 at 04:52
The thing that strikes me most about Mike's statement here, is it sounds like the decision to leave A7X was made for him. That he would have stayed on if it had been up to him. I could be wrong, but that's how it looked to me... Why ANY band would want to get rid of Mike Portnoy, I cant fathom at all. But I cant pretend that Im not happy that he's now out of that band. lol

Written by INÆRIS on 17.12.2010 at 11:23

It is sad to hear that from John P. Cos it really sounds from that as if he did not want Mike to leave. He does sound upset by it. I just hope Mike realises DT is where he belongs and goes back sooner rather than later. Im sure the other guys would welcome him back with open arms, no questions asked.
Winterthrone - 20.12.2010 at 17:41
Written by Angelic Storm on 20.12.2010 at 04:52

Written by INÆRIS on 17.12.2010 at 11:23

I perfectly understand why A7X got rid of him... It has nothing to do with the fact that he is an excellent drummer. I think it's a personnality issue. First, he is really older than the other members. Second, when he was in DT he was a control freak of the worse kind (yeah he started the band but for the last four albums it seemed like if he was the only songwriter with John Petrucci having a second role and the others playing almost like session musicians)so maybe the A7X guys were a little bit scared of losing the creative control over their band if Portnoy stayed for too long.
Like others said, I would'nt be surprised to see him come back to DT, and I think it would be better for him and DT.
Aluminum Alloy - 20.12.2010 at 23:21
I doubt Portnoy was ever really intended to be a permanent member of Avenged Sevenfold. As several people have noted he's much older, and the band really needed someone capable to fill the void left by The Rev's passing when they desperately needed it (finishing a new album and tour).
Now that they have some time to relax, they let Portnoy do his own thing and can look for someone to be full time.
This benefits both, Portnoy isn't a great fit for A7X longterm anyways, as well has having enough going on for himself with the whole DT thing, and Avenged Sevenfold can find someone to better fit in with the rest of the group.

News Mike Portnoy - Touring With Avenged Sevenfold 9 06.05.2010 by Warman
News Avenged Sevenfold - Enter Studio With Drummer Mike Portnoy 9 20.02.2010 by Locke
News Avenged Sevenfold - Premiere New Video 6 16.08.2013 by Doge of Venice