According to a Twitter message from guitarist John Petrucci, Dream Theater have started recording a new full-length album.

Petrucci writes: "First day in studio and the dawn of a new era for DT. Can't wait to get the music flowing."

And what about Mike Portnoy? Well meanwhile, the ex-Avenged Sevenfold drummer and founding member of Dream Theater has joined forces with guitarist Steve Morse (Deep Purple, ex-Kansas), multi-instrumentalist Neal Morse (Transatlantic, Spock's Beard), bassist Dave LaRue (Dixie Dregs) and vocalist Casey McPherson (Alpha Rev, Endochine). The as-yet-unnamed project has just entered the studio as well to begin work on a new album, due later in the year.

Yesterday Portnoy wrote the following on his Facebook: "It's a new year and time for new beginnings... tomorrow I start 2011 Project #1 (of many more to come): MP, Steve Morse, Neal Morse, Dave LaRue & Casey McPherson... the musical potential is off the charts! Very exciting indeed."

Keep checking for updates!

Source: dreamtheater.net
Band profile: Dream Theater

Posted: 03.01.2011 by Thryce

Comments

Dominus - 03.01.2011 at 19:18
Good luck without Mike
ImperialTroll - 03.01.2011 at 19:36
Good news I think they'll do just fine without that drama queen even though he's a great musician, hope to hear good news from him too (news, not wining!! )
Holy Man - 03.01.2011 at 19:55
Yep... just what I thought... Portnoy's gonna do all these side projects and nowhere-bands, trying to get back the fame he had... DT is better off.
iMPERiAL_iCE - 03.01.2011 at 19:59
Well DT will never sound the same as they did with MP but I don't think they'll be going down on the scale, I'm sooooooooooooo looking forward to this
Huntteri - 03.01.2011 at 20:16
Just don't put your expectations too high...
Holy Man - 03.01.2011 at 20:18
I think DT are the ones really winning here... the guy is quite obviously a little too self absorbed to handle their atmosphere, and I'm sure they're going to get somebody fuckin phenomenal to come in and take his place.
BloodTears - 03.01.2011 at 20:42
I'm glad they are in the studio. Just hoping it's good stuff.
TemplarLS - 03.01.2011 at 21:55
DT guys will not screw about new drummer! They know what they doing, but i think new drummer is Marco Minnemann, and its highly rumored that he is new drummer! I just cant wait for this!!!! ))))
Lit. - 03.01.2011 at 23:47
This'll be fun...
Kap'N Korrupt - 04.01.2011 at 00:16
Yeah its gotta be someone who is serious and level headed...MP comes across as very wishy washy...always fluttering about here and there...probably has his head all over the place on a bazillion things all the time...is he an air sign? The thing with the Morses will probably turn out to be some fucking incredible thing that will last for only a couple years...prove me wrong, Portnoy...
BlueMobius - 04.01.2011 at 06:19
Churn another non-essential album out boys.
4look4rd - 04.01.2011 at 07:24
Honestly DT has yet to release a weak album, my expectations are not high but I think I will not be disappointed.
Antidote - 04.01.2011 at 12:05
DT will use drum-computer this time
MetallicA_3 - 04.01.2011 at 15:41
Can't wait Gl Dt

and as i said before Mike deserve that
Nicoline - 04.01.2011 at 19:55
Portnoy and Neal Morse... should be ace! Good luck to DT, I think they'll do great (:
JohnDoe - 04.01.2011 at 22:09
Written by Nicoline on 04.01.2011 at 19:55

what's the big surprise? Mike has been Neal's drummer for quite a while.

I'm looking forward to DT's new album, I hope it'll be better than the last two.
Powerslavex - 04.01.2011 at 23:56
All this talk about mike at the end of the day, DT r still DT hope the new album will be great
MightyFuckinThor - 06.01.2011 at 02:33
I've seen a lot of people slamming Portnoy, lately, and I think it's bullshit. I'm happy to see that DT has finally announced that they are moving forward, and I'm also happy to see that Mike's got something in the works with a new group.
It was quite shocking, at first, to read about Mike leaving, but after I got over that, I figured the best way to show my support for all involved was to be as outgoing as possible about it. Mike's an awesome drummer and probably one of the best active musicians out there, right now. That goes for the rest of DT, as well as their other former members. I support all of them, and am happy to hear whatever they put out, that makes them feel fulfilled.
If you don't like DT or Mike Portnoy, maybe you should stop reading the news feeds and trolling in the comment sections.
CliffemAll - 01.02.2011 at 08:26
Written by MightyFuckinThor on 06.01.2011 at 02:33

And if you don't like what people are saying about Portnoy, maybe you should stop doing what you're telling other people to stop doing.
MightyFuckinThor - 04.02.2011 at 17:45
One word, Cliff... No.

News Dream Theater - Mike Portnoy Leaves The Band 7.5 09.09.2010 by farfaramir
News Dream Theater - Another Update On The Mike Portnoy Saga 7.5 20.12.2010 by JÄY
News Barren Earth - Have Entered The Studio 7 01.06.2011 by Czerny Reiter