The Unforgiving, the upcoming concept album of Within Temptation, will be released worldwide in March 2011.

The Unforgiving will be based on a comic book series, written by Steven O'Connell (BloodRayne & Dark 48), while comic artist Romano Molenaar (Witchblade, Darkness and X-men) has been asked to draw the characters and scenery. The main characters of the comic will be reflecting the characters of the songs.

Today, the band revealed another piece of the puzzle in the form of a short trailer... and is seems there will also be a movie for The Unforgiving. Start believing the hype!

More album details were previously reported here.

Source: within-temptation.com
Band profile: Within Temptation

Posted: 17.01.2011 by Justicelust

Comments

Elodie Artour - 17.01.2011 at 17:10
Do I really have to say that? WT have become yet other sell outs.

P.S.: No, I'm not being some fangirl whining about that fact. It's just a pity.
Ragana - 17.01.2011 at 17:36
But omfg they're going to have a film! XDD But seriously... is this serious at all?
Thryce - 17.01.2011 at 17:51
You know, there's a difference between selling out and entrepreneurship

I think it's a smart move altogether. Not that it makes me want to listen to WT, but still. Someone is clearly using his brains over there.
Shadowcross - 17.01.2011 at 17:53
Sounds heavier than the last album! be interesting to see how this whole thing turns out!
Carl Berg - 17.01.2011 at 18:32
Actually, the sound is not that bad.
Slyfang - 17.01.2011 at 18:43
Written by Elodie Artour on 17.01.2011 at 17:10

Do I really have to say that? WT have become yet other sell outs.

i'm not trying to defend them because i couldn't give the slightest crap who is or isn't a sellout.. but i'd really like to know why you think this trailer and album art makes them sellouts all of a sudden, when people have been saying that exact same thing over and over ever since Mother Earth was released

also, hasn't their popularity been in a sharp decline for some years? this is hardly the first thing a band would do to 'desperately steal back lost fans'
Elodie Artour - 17.01.2011 at 18:53
There are plenty of ways to increase your popularity. One of them is to become a sell out which WT are definitely good at. Whether it's a clever move or not, is still to be found out. I'm pretty sceptic about this whole thing.

Why do they seem to have become sell outs? Well, it's simple - just listen to "The Heart Of Everything" and to this new sample, as well (carefully!) and you'll get what I mean. Plain. Uninspired. Unintriguing. Rock.
annodomini - 17.01.2011 at 19:12
I just hate tha US-alternative rock guitar sound. Though, it would be interesting to see a movie based on WT music.
mariano - 17.01.2011 at 21:08
Written by Elodie Artour on 17.01.2011 at 17:10

Do I really have to say that? WT have become yet other sell outs.

P.S.: No, I'm not being some fangirl whining about that fact. It's just a pity.

It doesn't seem to me like they've changed their sound, but let's face the ugly truth:
Every big band you could find here has targeted us as potential consumers and WT is not the exception, so if you don't buy what they're selling that's their problem.
As for the cover artwork and the trailer, I don't give a damn about it as long as they keep their musical essence.
Elodie Artour - 17.01.2011 at 21:12
@mariano: In comparison with their early releases, they've definitely changed sound.

@annodomini: And so do I!
Slyfang - 18.01.2011 at 02:16
Written by Elodie Artour on 17.01.2011 at 18:53

becoming a sellout won't necessarily get you popularity. if you're not good enough in your music, you're eventually going to find yourself losing what you gained.. fast.

but if you're going to make an unobjective judgement and claim they sold out simply based on a short sample, then you are just an ignorant narrow-minded twat, with no understanding of the music industry other than your what your cynical imagination offers. ALL big names in music with very few exceptions have sold out to some small extent. some are completely unmotivated by artistic integrity, some prefer to take things into their own hands as much as they can, some, like WT, are simply misguided and use their popularity to make their music more bombastic without actually meaning harm or being solely in it for the money.

watch any interviews or studio journals and you'll see that their hearts are in the music, but they simply prefer to make simple modern hard rock with bombastic symphonic arrangements and plenty of ballads. they've been doing this since Mother Earth.. it has paid off for them. they have lots of music videos and so forth.

their shift to a more basic sound, as you seem to be so certain of based on a short sample, is, if anything, a sign that they want to try making an album more independently. if they were to really capitulate to their greed, they would go like Dimmu Borgir and just add more and more symphonic elements. however what is happening here is more like the Korn scenario where after a long time of being pampered, they will try making something they're not used to independently. Korn failed at this hard, let's hope WT won't..
INÆRIS - 18.01.2011 at 02:24
I just hope this is better than The Heart of Everything
mariano - 18.01.2011 at 14:00
Written by Slyfang on 18.01.2011 at 02:16

That's right.
They've been dealing with bigger budgets in every album they produce, so it's natural that they try to emphasize the formula that brought success to their music with more and more resources. I see nothing wrong in that picture.
Elodie Artour - 18.01.2011 at 17:44
@Slyfang: Oh, so you call me an "ignorant narrow-minded twat" ? Take a look at my reviews first before you come to such conclusions again.

I totally understand that every single metal band that has gained popularity becomes sort of softer and mainstreamish at some point. The thing is, some bands manage not to lose their identity and still create decent pieces, as well as some poppy songs in order to actually survive on the market and make a living out of their music. (Nightwish are a demonstrative example.) I see nothing wrong with that, either as long as bands do it the right way. It's good, even essential to experiment and change your sound. However, there must be some certain boundaries. Else, you'll end up altering your sound in such a bad direction (as in WT's case) you won't be able to recognize your own sound any more. (That is truly a pity!)

And, no - I'm definitely not judging only by that sample. By saying they went far too mainstream and different in comparison with their previous records, I meant the whole "The Heart Of Everything" era, as well as "Where Is The Edge." Of course, no band should stay at the same standpoint during its whole career. There must be some balance but changing your whole sound so dramatically and turning your music into something worse simply isn't the way.

P.S.: Did I mention I actually own a special copy of "The Heart Of Everything" release and like most of the songs on it? Criticizing doesn't necessarily mean disliking.
The Shape 1973 - 18.01.2011 at 20:51
The sample from the trailer is actually the first thing I have liked from them in a while. I know it is only 40 seconds and the rest of the album will probably be radio friendly crap, but I live in hope.
Jesaar Dragon - 21.01.2011 at 02:44
Hmmm I like this sound and feel the band deserves to experiment with different types of rock. I hear this album boats lots of heavy moments and very 80s sounding rock music. I also hear the first single sounds like HIM. I dont stop liking the bands I've always liked. I'm not one of those people who complain about a band "selling out." That's ridiculous. I remember when the same thing happened to Manson years ago, I was like WTF, I still like him. Go fuck yourself! I'm a fan of WT and this trailer intrigues the hell out of me!

News Within Temptation - New Album Details, Trailer Online 10.5 08.11.2013 by Angel_Lament
News Within Temptation - New Album Samples Online 9 07.03.2007 by
News Within Temptation - New Video Online 7.5 31.01.2011 by Vivi'
News Jag Panzer - New Album Trailer Online 5.5 14.12.2010 by Jon
News Whitesnake - New Live Album Due In July, Trailer Online 5.5 18.05.2013 by The Shape 1973