Judas Priest are busy writing new material. According to an awfully short posting on the band's website, "all is going really well". Further details will be given later.

As previously announced, Judas Priest will be embarking on their farewell tour in June, hitting all the major cities throughout the world. The band will be starting their Epitaph world tour in Europe.

With all guns blazing and amps cranked to eleven, the band will be giving all their fans one last chance to witness the ultimate metal experience that is Judas Priest.

Announced dates so far include:

7th June - 013, Tilburg, Holland

Source: judaspriest.com
Band profile: Judas Priest
Event: Judas Priest: Epitaph World Tour

Posted: 27.01.2011 by Thryce

Comments

Baz Anderson - 27.01.2011 at 18:38
So... they're not splitting up? This is all a bit vague. I won't say no to more Judas Priest though.
Thryce - 27.01.2011 at 18:44
From what I heard, they're splitting up after their farewell tour, probably lasting into 2012, according to interviews with Rob Halford.

EDIT: From Glenn Tipton's webspace: "To put every ones mind at rest this is by no means the end of the band, in fact we are presently writing new material, but we do intend this to be the last major world tour."

So there.
Enigma - 27.01.2011 at 18:44
Well, aparently, they'll be active recording new studio albuns, but not making more tours.
Angelic Storm - 27.01.2011 at 18:51
Yes!!! xD I was downhearted about the fact that it seemed like Nostradamus would be their last studio album. Hopefully now they can end their awesome career with an album fitting of that priviledge. This is awesome news!

Written by Enigma on 27.01.2011 at 18:44

This is what it sounds like to me. They're only going to cease to be active as a touring band. Rob Halford certainly isnt retiring, because he says he wants to continue with the Halford band after Priest retire from touring. My guess is someone in Priest is tired of touring and doesn't want to do it anymore, hence their next tour being their last. Maybe that isnt it, but it sure seems like that to me.
ScreamingSteelUS - 27.01.2011 at 19:06
I hope that "all the major cities throughout the world" includes Baltimore, or possibly Washington, D.C....
Valentin B - 27.01.2011 at 19:14
Written by Angelic Storm on 27.01.2011 at 18:51

i think Glenn is the man you're talking about.. there have been some concerts canceled because of his poor health and he is the oldest of the group(already 63 years old, though he certainly doesn't look it).
Angelic Storm - 27.01.2011 at 19:21
Written by Valentin B on 27.01.2011 at 19:14

Yep, I think it most certainly will be Glenn who is the one that is fatigued with touring and wants to retire from it. Its a shame, but of course, completely understandable.

You're so right about him not looking 63! He looks great for his age, more like early 50's than 63. xD
The Shape 1973 - 27.01.2011 at 19:38
Something in the style of Painkiller would be nice. An album that blows everybody away would be a fitting goodbye to all the fans.
Valentin B - 27.01.2011 at 20:05
Written by The Shape 1973 on 27.01.2011 at 19:38

yup, seeing as they can obviously take their time and not have to play (too much) stuff from it in concert (i hope they would focus more on honoring their legacy up to and including Painkiller than playing some of the more recent stuff).. it would certainly make it easier to create a really heavy, fast and technical release like Painkiller.
Angelic Storm - 27.01.2011 at 20:10
Written by The Shape 1973 on 27.01.2011 at 19:38

I think this is what most fans (including me) would want. For them to go out with a bang by putting out an explosive final album. Showing all the other bands one last time just who the real metal gods are. xD

As this is the final Priest tour, I wonder if Rob will finally sing some of the Ripper Owens material. He has stated before that he has no objection to doing so, and would like to do it. Id be surprised if it happened, but I would love to see that!
Mountain King - 27.01.2011 at 20:44
Wouldn't mind more Judas Priest albums. All their albums kick so much ass...
Marcel Hubregtse - 27.01.2011 at 20:48
Written by Mountain King on 27.01.2011 at 20:44

Wouldn't mind more Judas Priest albums. All their albums kick so much ass...

did you forget about Turbo? And even Nostradamus
Valentin B - 27.01.2011 at 20:52
Written by Angelic Storm on 27.01.2011 at 20:10

yeah, even though some of them are a bit more childish than your usual Priest songs, like for example Burn in Hell it's still a pretty epic and heavy song. it's kinda adventurous, but i think it would probably work very well as the intro of a concert.
Mountain King - 27.01.2011 at 21:00
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.01.2011 at 20:48

Written by Mountain King on 27.01.2011 at 20:44

Wouldn't mind more Judas Priest albums. All their albums kick so much ass...

did you forget about Turbo? And even Nostradamus

Turbo Lover, Reckless, Rock All Around The World are really good songs for me. And Nostradamus? I love that album, that's my opinion and btw I'm listening to Pestilence And Plague from Nostradamus. Great song i really don't know why some people hate it...
Axe Argonian - 27.01.2011 at 21:07
Like everyone else here, I do hope that this next studio album will finish Judas Priest's career with a bang. I do wonder, however, if this final planned tour will conclude without reaching the States, because according to the tour locations, the U.S. is not listed at all. Quite a shame it would be if Priest retired without saying "goodbye" to their American fans...
Xim - 27.01.2011 at 21:44
I found Nostradamus rather boring, so I'm glad they're gonna put out some new material, that might sound more like good old classic Priest.
tirim4 - 27.01.2011 at 22:27
Oh Judas Priest, the band that got me into metal. I associate most of their songs with different LEGO projects of mine from when I was 8-9 years old. What a world they opened to me!
Lit. - 27.01.2011 at 22:31
So is what I'm hearing true? That they're just gonna make albums and not tour?
Angelic Storm - 27.01.2011 at 22:43
Written by Valentin B on 27.01.2011 at 20:52

I think "Burn In Hell" would be one of the better choices if Rob was going to tackle some Ripper era material. I think his voice could work well with it. Ive seen that song live twice. Once when I saw Priest when Ripper was still in the band, and another time when I saw Beyond Fear opening for Anthrax a few years ago. The intro is awesome, and can really get the crowd going. It is a great live song. The lyrics are a bit ridiculous, but even Rob has penned some quite silly lyrics in his time. "Love Zone", anyone?! hehee

@Mountain King: "Pestilence And Plague" is one of the very few songs that I truly love from "Nostradamus". It has a great atmosphere, and the solo in it is stunning. Id definitely class that one as one of Priest's underrated classics.
jimmy - 28.01.2011 at 00:42
I read this story on BLABBERMOUTH a little while ago and this is great news! always happy to get a new priest record. hopefully they never stop recording, even if they're not touring as much.
and to all the naysayers out there, FUCK YOU, nostradamus was an awesome record.
and yeah, i'd love to see rob do some ripper material. preferably, 'bullet train', 'bloodsuckers', 'death row', or 'cathedral spires'. i think rob would just kill those songs. hopefully they do 'hellrider' 'demonizer' and 'deal with the devil' off of AOR too. love those tracks. personally i could do without hearing 'diamonds and rust' and most of the really old stuff. it's kinds boring.
Deleted Scenes - 28.01.2011 at 01:51
Big gap from 2nd-22nd July reserved for a proper tour of the UK maybe?
SlaytanicGonzo - 28.01.2011 at 01:53
I hope it's an old school record. That's the album Priest has to say goodbye, with what they do best, pure Heavy Metal.
RavenKing - 28.01.2011 at 04:15
Should not be hard to beat "Nostradamus".
Angelic Storm - 28.01.2011 at 06:13
Written by Deleted Scenes on 28.01.2011 at 01:51

Big gap from 2nd-22nd July reserved for a proper tour of the UK maybe?

I'm more interested in the gap between now, and the beginning of the tour. With them writing new material, is it their aim to have the album out in time for the tour? Or are they going to finish it up when the tour has ended? As for a UK tour, I would really hope that we get one. Also would make sense to end the tour here, seeing as this is where they are from. They bypassed the UK completely (in a somewhat huge irony) when they did the British Steel anniversary tour. So I think they owe it to the British fans to do one last tour here. I for one, certainly hope they will, as Id be sad if I didnt get to see them on their last tour.

@Ravenking: Iced Earth have to top TCOM though, so I think Jon's got an easier task than the Priest guys. Even though "Nostradamus" wasn't exactly great, it was quite a bit better than that album. lol
Daggon - 28.01.2011 at 08:12
Happy Daggon is happy
BloodTears - 28.01.2011 at 10:42
What? New album? That's weird. But I'll take it.
Neuroku - 28.01.2011 at 11:43
It's bullshit really. Yeah, I love Preist and to stop touring forever, but still making albums as a band...It won't be long before they wanna be back on the road. I give it a year or two before they do a "special tour"
Angelic Storm - 28.01.2011 at 13:27
Written by Neuroku on 28.01.2011 at 11:43

I'd honestly be surprised if they did do another tour after this one. Okay, it wouldn't be the biggest shock in the world or anything, but I suspect this really is it, as far as Priest touring the world goes anyway.
Bad English - 28.01.2011 at 13:35
Written by BloodTears on 28.01.2011 at 10:42

What? New album? That's weird. But I'll take it.

Well even if its fareall tour they cane make some 5 studio albums and maybe farewall was comercal trick to make ppl go to gigs and see band ''last time'' maybe they spend all money hwo Boris Becker who need make sucky comercals to get some euros
jpwiseguy - 28.01.2011 at 13:59
I wouldn't let the end of my godlike career in metal fade out to the tune of the piece of shit that was Nastradamus either....good decision Priest, just do your fans a favor and make sure it properly ROCKS like the Priest machine should. Don't be afraid to make it sound like British Steel, Screaming for Vengeance, or Painiiller. That is what your fans like, it's what you're renowned for, and it's the proper way to retire the legend of Priest.

Priest is not some experimental prog rock group, they are JUDAS PRIEST, the FATHERS OF METAL.
Angelic Storm - 28.01.2011 at 14:32
Written by jimmy on 28.01.2011 at 00:42

"Bullet Train" is my fave Priest song from the Ripper era stuff, and would love to see Rob have a go at this one. His voice isnt what it used to be, so he might struggle a bit with it, but it'd still be great to hear him doing it. xD

"Demonizer" has never been played live, and I think it is the song that sounds most like the Ripper era since the time of Rob reuniting with Priest. It is an awesome song, and I'd love to see it in setlist for the upcoming tour.
SATANSCHAMBER666 - 28.01.2011 at 21:49
Cant wait to hear the new album
regmighty - 28.01.2011 at 22:16
I cant wait!!!! I hope it sound like there older stuff, not another nostradamus please
Kingface - 29.01.2011 at 00:27
Is it only me who thinks the idea of a new album after they have done their farewell tour is practically pointless?

Maybe this new material is just a few new songs for a special compilation to complement the farewell tour or something?
Angelic Storm - 29.01.2011 at 00:31
Written by Kingface on 29.01.2011 at 00:27

I think it is much more likely to be a new album, as Glenn has stated the band is not splitting up, just not doing any more world tours.

I don't see what's pointless about it. Also, "Nostradamus" isnt an album I think that is worthy for Priest to end their career on, so the prospect of them bidding farewell with a great final album is exciting to me. xD
RavenKing - 29.01.2011 at 03:36
Written by Angelic Storm on 29.01.2011 at 00:31

I would keep my hopes as low as possible. Do you really think they will release something great?
Come on, they're way too old for that.
It's only my opinion but I think you set it up for a disappointment.
Angelic Storm - 29.01.2011 at 05:35
Written by RavenKing on 29.01.2011 at 03:36
Come on, they're way too old for that.
It's only my opinion but I think you set it up for a disappointment.

I think they can release something great again, yep. Whether they will or not is another matter, but I think they still have it in them. lol xD

You have to remember that "Nostradamus" was Priest experimenting with their sound and taking chances. It wasn't (or at least it wasn't for the most part) their traditional style. The album before that ("Angel Of Retribution") was a lot more consistent, and a lot more faithful to Priest's signature sound.

I have got my head screwed on about it. I see this as merely an opportunity for Priest to go out on a high, which is what their great career deserves. I would be kinda surprised if they delivered something of the quality of say, "Screaming For Vengeance" or "Painkiller", but at the same time, I wouldn't be overly shocked. For a band with such a history, and longevity, the ratio of great albums compared to sub-par albums, is very high. I would be a little surprised if they ended their recording career with a classic, but Id be a lot more surprised, if Jon Shaffer pulled out something like NOTS or "Burnt Offerings" for Iced Earth's next effort. hehee

As for age, Ronnie James Dio was 61 when he released his last solo album "Master Of The Moon". (and was older than that still, when he recorded his last stuff with Black Sabbath) Which was his best effort for many years, and pretty much a return to form for him. So I don't think age has to be a barrier to creating good material, but it does make things more difficult, that's for sure.
Kingface - 29.01.2011 at 12:35
Written by Angelic Storm on 29.01.2011 at 00:31

Written by Kingface on 29.01.2011 at 00:27

Pointless might have been a strong word, after all, if it is a new album they're bound to make a ton of money from it, but I personally place HUGE value on music being played live. If they record and release a new album and it's brilliant material that fans would love to see performed live but then they never tour again, it'll just feel a bit empty y'know?
Angelic Storm - 29.01.2011 at 13:54
Written by Kingface on 29.01.2011 at 12:35

You do make a good point there actually. However, if the band (or more accurately, certain members) are not up to the rigours of touring anymore, but still feel able to write and record new music, and want to do that, then I don't see why they shouldn't do that. For me personally, new Priest material is always welcome. Even if the downside is the songs will never be played live. In saying all this though, there's nothing stopping the band from maybe performing the odd special show once in a while. After all, Glenn said they're only going to stop doing world tours. Nothing really about them never playing live ever again. If it is their last world tour, then I think it is appropriate to label it a "farewell" tour, as it will be the last chance for most of their fans to see them live. But not touring anymore doesn't necessarily mean they'll never play live again. Thats my take on it anyways. lol
Elodie Artour - 30.01.2011 at 20:50
Written by Thryce on 27.01.2011 at 18:44

So there.

That's exactly what I've kept telling everyone during the past few months. Of course they aren't splitting up; that was just a trick.
SBGMetal - 31.01.2011 at 11:19
Hell yea! jp need to go out with a proper bang
Flashok - 16.06.2011 at 06:48
Its not a world tour if asia is not part of it...... common priestttt :/
Troy Killjoy - 16.06.2011 at 06:52
How dare they leave out Antarctica!
Void Eater - 16.06.2011 at 09:09
Halford looks constipated in the picture.

News Judas Priest - Working On New Album 9 10.03.2013 by Cynic Metalhead
News Judas Priest - New Video Online 7.5 24.06.2008 by Lord TJ
News Aeternus - Working On New Material 5.5 14.04.2010 by Ask
News Abinchova - To Start Working On New Material 5.5 10.07.2012 by
News The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza - Working On New Material 5.5 01.06.2011 by Valentin B