Official press release

In the midst of recording a new album, Nightwish has been preparing a movie.

"Imaginarium" is a music fantasy - film based on the forthcoming Nightwish album of the same title and its 13 songs.

The protagonist of the film is a songwriter with an otherworldly imagination. He is an old man who still thinks he's a young boy. While asleep he travels into his distant past where his dreams of old come back to him mixed to the young boy's world of fantasy and music.

In his dreams the old man fights to find the memories most important to him.

This never-done-before project originates to more than two years in the past when Tuomas first introduced his ambitious idea of the "Imaginarium" - concept to the fellow band members and to Mr. Stobe Harju, the director behind "The Islander" - music video. He will be the director of this full-length feature. The film will be produced by Solar Films Inc. together with Nightwish.

The shootings for "Imaginarium" will begin this spring, it will have its premiere in 2012 and the album it's based on will be released in an undefined point in time.

Nightwish will hold a press conference related to this project at the end of February.

[Also thanks to Elodie Artour for the news!]

Source: nightwish.com
Band profile: Nightwish

Posted: 10.02.2011 by Dominus

Comments page 2 of 2

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 [2]

Slayer666 - 13.02.2011 at 11:04
Written by Guest on 13.02.2011 at 10:57

Written by Slayer666 on 13.02.2011 at 10:42

Allright, unless you post a picture of you kissing some girl, I'll be 100% convinced you're gay and madly in love with Tuomas.

The gay joke is God's gift to the witless.

Quote:

The ammount of hate and idiotic responds that anyone who mentiones Nightwish (or Tuomas) in a negative context gets from you is simply astounding. Jessus Christ, man, get some air.

This thread was created to discuss Nightwish, so either address my points about Nightwish or if you cannot, then just stay silent. I am not here to talk about me.

Right, because "This is offtopic" deffence is clearly only for those extremely gifted.
Man, you fanboys make Internet fun!
ErnilEnNaur - 13.02.2011 at 11:17
Written by Slayer666 on 13.02.2011 at 11:04

Man, you fanboys make Internet fun!

If you feel my points are invalid, then you should be able to demonstrate that in some way. Please do that, if you can. I like to be proven wrong, because that means I have the opportuniy learn something.

So then, got anything?
Slayer666 - 13.02.2011 at 12:26
Written by Guest on 10.02.2011 at 22:48

Written by MétalNoir on 10.02.2011 at 22:22

Written by Guest on 10.02.2011 at 21:31

Fingers crossed, hoping that the greatest symphonic metal band in the world doesn't fall from grace.

Known they've already lost most of their "grace" since DPP, they're not allowed to release anything under very good, otherwise they'll effectively loose any kind of credibility...

Right, they lost their grace by firing a faux-opera singer that they couldn't work with anymore. Never mind the fact that the creative core remained intact.

Fanboys...

Quoted this post, per your request to find your faulty arguments.
No, firing Tarja didn't make them "loose their grace". No one ever said that, yet, like a good fanboy, you automatically jumped to conclusions and called that guy a fanboy for something he didn't even say. Beyond stupid.
Next thing. In the eyes of many, they indeed did loose their grace, simply because DPP sounds like a purely Disney version of what Nightwish should sound. "For The Heart I Once Had", "7 Days to The Wolves", "Bye-Bye Beautiful", "Cadence of Her Last Breath" and mostly everything serve to prove this point. Exceptions like "Master Passion Greed" aren't enough to make the whole album worthwhile.
I never liked Nightwish. Yet, I have much respect for their old albums, and I see why people do like them. Good stuff, really, but not for me. DPP is a travesty. Of course, opinions probably vary, but we are on a site called "Metal Storm", right? DPP does indeed sound like somewhat heavier and darker pop. If you like it, it's cool, no one gives two flying fucks. But saying that Nightwish didn't loose grace with DPP implies that this album is on a level quality even somewhere near old albums, which is just plain ridiculous.
I could give you a ton more of examples (mostly from "Fuck, I wish they would disband before it gets even worse" topic), but I've better things to do.
ErnilEnNaur - 13.02.2011 at 12:45
Written by Slayer666 on 13.02.2011 at 12:26

Quoted this post, per your request to find your faulty arguments.

He presented his opinon as fact without clarification. I was purposefully rude to shock him out of complacency. I do that. Had he proven me wrong, I would have gladly apologized, I like intelligent people.

Quote:

And this is what I expected to get from him, but I got it from you. There's absolutely no qualitative gap between the commercial singles
from Once and the commercial singles from DPP. Amaranth and Nemo, Wish I Had An Angel and Bye Bye Beautiful are along the exact same vein. So since the music didn't change, what's this about if not about the fact that Tarja is no longer in the band?

Quote:

Nightwish has had fillers on every albums since Wishmaster. DPP is no exception. Why didn't anyone have a problem with "Forever Yours" or "Dead Gardens"? Why does Once get away with filler crap, but DPP doesn't? What's this about if not about the fact that Tarja is no longer in the band?

Quote:

DPP is a travesty.

Despite featuring two of the heaviest songs they've ever done and being the first album where a full symphonic orchestra plays on every song. What's wrong with it, other than the fact that Tarja's no longer in the band?

Quote:

DPP does indeed sound like somewhat heavier and darker pop.

I am going to bet 10 bucks that your knowledge of pop can be summed up in less than 1 sentence.

Quote:

There you go, presenting your opinion as fact and revealing the true reason for your attack.
Slayer666 - 13.02.2011 at 12:57
Good god, you're stubborn. If Toumas himself came to you, and told you exactly what I did, you'd still probably think exactly the same way. Not to mention your rather unique talent to completely forgo the real meaning of sentence and bend it in a way that suits your arguments.
I give up, dude, you win. DPP rules, Tarja is a talentless skank and Tuomas is god. You're just way too much for me.
The Shape 1973 - 13.02.2011 at 13:27
I'm far closer to ErnilEnNaur view on this. Opinion is an opinion. but opinion is not fact.

I liked DDP. IN MY OPINION it was the best work that they had ever done. IN MY OPINION it was not pop. IN MY OPINION it had more variety than the early albums and was instrumentally stronger. IN MY OPINION Poet And The Pendulum is the most interesting track they have released. IN MY OPINION the Tarja arguements are old and irrelevant, let them rest.

These are MY OPINIONS, not fact.
RavenKing - 13.02.2011 at 14:47
Written by Slayer666 on 13.02.2011 at 12:57

Slayer666: Don't loose your time arguing with him. This guy is hopeless, at least as far as Nightwish is concerned. It will only end up as a few pages of stupid comments from him, like it happened on the other thread.
ErnilEnNaur - 13.02.2011 at 18:25
Written by Slayer666 on 13.02.2011 at 12:57

You do have trouble staying on topic, don't ya? I asked you what is the difference between commercial singles from Once (the ones you like) and commercial singles from DPP. Why don't you explain yourself instead of resorting to red herrings about what Tuomas might think.

Quote:

You know, projecting is an unhealthy habit.

Quote:

I never said DPP rules, Tarja is talentless or Tuomas is god, you little liar. I said that there's no difference between two commercial singles and that there's no reason to hate DPP for having them, when Once get's away with it. Be a man, stop crying about "opinions" and back up your statements.
ErnilEnNaur - 13.02.2011 at 18:33
Written by The Shape 1973 on 13.02.2011 at 13:27

The question isn't really whether DPP was pop or not (and that's not a question of opinions, if somebody thinks The Beatles were metal, they have the right to think so, but they ARE wrong), the question is: why does having commercial singles make DPP pop, but not Once? This is why Tarja fanboys fail so pathetically in their objections to Dark Passion Play, because when they condemn Bye Bye Beautiful and Amaranth for their commercial appeal, then they have to do so with Wish I Had An Angel and Nemo as well, because those singles too were played on radio stations and tv music channels across Europe.
Troy Killjoy - 13.02.2011 at 20:26
Written by Guest on 13.02.2011 at 18:33

...the question is: why does having commercial singles make DPP pop, but not Once?

Since nobody seems to be able to answer this/you, I'll give it a shot.

DPP was, in spite of featuring commercial singles, considerably less "structured" than Once (in terms of consistency, even though, as previously stated, Once too had its own bits of filler). Regardless of the vocalist, DPP wouldn't have been any better even if Tarja herself loaned her voice. It felt lacking in direction (which may be contradictory, because it was so direct in its delivery), but Once seemed more complete with a little more variation.

What makes DPP more "pop" than Once is completely subjective, but I suppose my opinion on the matter would be the lack of Tarja. Annette has a very...pop-driven voice, not like Britney Spears (laughed at those comments). The music itself may not be more "pop" than on Once, but the feel (as a result of the vocals) is.

I don't know if I can offer a better explanation than that, but I'm guessing that's why Tarja "fanboys" claim DPP was such a piece of crap when they won't say the same for Once.
RavenKing - 13.02.2011 at 20:43
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.02.2011 at 20:26

Annette has a very...pop-driven voice, not like Britney Spears

She doesn't sound like Britney Spears but she definitely sounds very reminiscent of Dolores O'Riordan, Imo.
Though I prefer Dolores, since at least her voice was original when The Cranberries started and I think she's a better singer than Anette.
ErnilEnNaur - 13.02.2011 at 20:53
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.02.2011 at 20:26

That's my point actually, it has nothing to do with the music. Master Passion Greed and Whoever Brings The Night are the heaviest songs they've ever done, The Poet And The Pendulum is the most symphonic song they've ever done and Marco was always a better metal singer than Tarja.
Troy Killjoy - 13.02.2011 at 21:13
Written by Guest on 13.02.2011 at 20:53

Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.02.2011 at 20:26

Wait, so I just agreed with you?

...

FUUUUUU
Slayer666 - 14.02.2011 at 12:47
Written by Guest on 13.02.2011 at 18:25

I just love this part of your post. I'm not saying Once was particularly on the heavy and non-commercial side either (because it very much was), but DPP takes it to a new level. I'm no musician, and there is no way for me to talk about it in actual musical terms to try and prove it to you. I still have properly working ears, though, and for something like this, it's enough.
Oh, and one more thing. I don't know what passes for "being a man" in whatever culture you identify yourself with, but in mine, proving a point to some random Internet fucktard just means you have nothing better to, and I'm ashamed I let this argument even go as far and long as it did.
I'm done posting on this thread. I wish you good luck on your "Justice for DPP" crusade.
ErnilEnNaur - 14.02.2011 at 14:29
Written by Slayer666 on 14.02.2011 at 12:47

You don't need to be a musician. All you need to do is make a comparison between the two albums.

The Poet And The Pendulum is in the same category as Ghost Love Score, but less accessible, because it has a more complicated structure and features more vocalists. So DPP is less commercial here.

Next we have the singles - Amaranth and Nemo, Wish I had An Angel and Bye Bye Beautiful, all very accessible and commercial. That would be a draw. But then there's also The Siren and The Islander, two less commercial singles. I'd say The Islander is more accessible. So here, DPP is slightly more commercial.

Now we get to the angry heavier songs. Master Passion Greed is along the same vein as Romanticide, between the two, MPG is clearly heavier and less accessible. Sahara OTOH is probably more accessible than Planet Hell. There's nothing equivalent to Whoever Brings The Night on Once, nor is there an instrumental piece like The Last Of The Wilds, but Creek Mary's Blood is far from being accessible, as is the seven minute oddly structured 7 Days To The Wolves.

Now we're pretty much left with filler and boring ballads.

Based on what I've just demonstrated I don't see how DPP can sound any more commercial, whether you're a musician or not.

Quote:

You should only be ashamed of posting several long replies if you had nothing to say. There's no shame in clarifying your point. I don't understand why people think otherwise.
deathstar180 - 19.02.2011 at 01:04
You know, I just gotta ask. Why do you guys gotta fight like this? I mean, it's like Matt Tuck says "We're all one big metal family" so we need to act like it. Everyone has different tastes. And you know, some of you are right, opinion is not fact. I don't care if God himself came down from the heavens and says that Nightwish sucks huge, hairy, monkey balls, the FACT is that my opinion is that they are great. I really like them. I mean I am new to Nightwish, but what I have heard so far I find to be incredible. I mean honestly, everyone is different. If everyone was the same this world would be extremely boring. And when metal began, it wasn't about everyone being the same, no. In fact it was all about non-conformity. Yet everyone these days is trying to get everyone to conform and like certain bands only and if you don't do that we start attacking each other on the web. What's the deal with that? We should all be like "Well, I don't really like 'em. Their too light, or their too heavy" you know, point out what you don't like about them. But don't insult them and thier fans. I mean, if it was a fact that Panterra was better than Nightwish (which i happen to love panterra) or that Apocalyptica is better than Linkin Park (uh I'd have to say I do like Apocalyptica better than Linkin Park esp the new Linkin Park) then it would be understandable to attack each other. But it isn't a fact, it is an opinion. And honestly, how the hell you gonna beat someone up and bash 'em over the head for their opionion, especially considering what metal used to mean. I mean honestly. We're losing sight here. So why don't we all just get along? Or at least try. And don't knock it until you try it.
RavenKing - 19.02.2011 at 17:07
Written by deathstar180 on 19.02.2011 at 01:04

I find it contradictory to talk about non-conformity, while saying "We're all one big metal family" at the same time.

Considering metal a family or even a community, is a concept that always made me laugh. A fallacy. There is no such thing as a metal community in my mind (only people who have interest for a kind of music that encompasses sub-genres so different from each others nowadays there is almost no common element between them), simply because of individuality. There is no common thought shared by everyone or even a majority of fans that would encompass everything. There is no guideline, rule or whatever. We see things according to our own personality, interests, tastes, etc. Those who like metal come from all kinds of places, dress in every way you can imagine, do all kinds of jobs, etc, etc, etc...
Do I really need to add on this?

Metal is only music for most of us. Unless you're a musician playing in a band, it's only a hobby.
You won't find 2 persons with exactly the same tastes all the time.
Metal is not like the society in which we're living. This society has rules and we're really active in it, by our work and all. Just listening to metal is not a link sufficient to call it a community.

Metal seen as a community is no more than a concept for those who seek acceptance. And those people are trying to be 'part of the gang', which is the opposite of individuality.
Troy Killjoy - 20.02.2011 at 01:14
Written by RavenKing on 19.02.2011 at 17:07

EXACTLY!
Evil Chip - 20.02.2011 at 01:21
Why no one is talking about the movie or the idea behind the concept? This is not the thread of DDP vs Once.
Troy Killjoy - 20.02.2011 at 14:08
Written by Evil Chip on 20.02.2011 at 01:21

People were - until someone mentioned DPP. Then everything went to shit.

Pages: 1 [2]

News Gamma Ray - Reveal Song Titles For Upcoming Album 7.5 16.02.2014 by The Shape 1973
News Riot - Reveal Artwork And Tracklist For Upcoming Album 7 12.09.2011 by Skorcher
News Judicator - Change Artwork For Upcoming Album 5.5 08.07.2014 by Ilham
News Anaal Nathrakh - Teaser For Upcoming Album Streaming 5.5 05.09.2012 by J. N.
News Powerwolf - Reveal First Upcoming Album Details 5.5 18.04.2013 by feather_light