In Flames have announced that Engel/ex-Gardenian guitarist Niklas Engelin will be their permanent guitarist.

Niklas Engelin is an old friend of the band, as he has been part of the In Flames line-up several times now. In 1997 he briefly joined the band as a replacement of Glenn Ljungström (Dimension Zero, ex-Hammerfall). More recently, Engelin regularly filled in on tour for original In Flames guitarist Jesper Strömblad, who eventually left the band in February last year in order to get treatment for his alcohol addiction.

In Flames just finished wrapping up the recording process for Sounds of a Playground Fading, the band's tenth full-length studio album, which is scheduled for a May/June release through Nuclear Blast.

Source: metalriot.com
Band profile: In Flames

Posted: 07.03.2011 by Thryce

Comments

MechanisT - 07.03.2011 at 21:26
I don't know about the new guy, but he definitely has BIG boots to fill...considering their latest endeavours, though, I'm FAR from optimistic because I still cherish In Flames as one of the most guitar-licious bands around...
FeskarN - 07.03.2011 at 21:31
Not really a suprise that it would be him. My expectations on the upcoming album are really low..
Vitriolic Hate - 07.03.2011 at 21:35
Written by FeskarN on 07.03.2011 at 21:31

Bigpaul - 07.03.2011 at 21:46
Meh, they haven't released anything decent in a decade & I doubt that will change anytime soon.
arj - 07.03.2011 at 23:29
Please make a good new album
WickedBuddhi - 07.03.2011 at 23:45
No surprise, I agree. But I like Niklas Engelin, very underrated musician.
Aeox - 07.03.2011 at 23:53
Soundtrack To Your Escape, Sounds Of A Playground Fading... 'Sounds' like crap.
morsus - 07.03.2011 at 23:56
This guy is their only hope to return to the era of glory
bluegreengod - 08.03.2011 at 00:59
Niklas was with them on their last U.S. tour and he was pretty badass so hopefully this will work. I would assume he wasn't much a part of the songwriting process for this new album, which is too bad. It will be interesting to see how he can contribute in the future. IN FLAMES!
marzepka87 - 08.03.2011 at 02:28
What In Flames need to announce is that they are going back era of "The Jester Race" and "Whoracle"
ruffio - 08.03.2011 at 08:42
'Sounds of a Playground Bludgeoning'... You will receive what you get. And this album will be like nothing. You'll feel like shit after 10 listens, but at least you'll feel something. Other side effects include cutting yourself to sleep and screaming to hide that you're lonely.
Aeonfrost - 08.03.2011 at 10:52
He was part of in flames' golden era, so i'm quite optimistic that he will bring something good to the band.
ForgerOfFate - 08.03.2011 at 20:37
The album has already been written so too bad he wasnt able to bring some of his riffage to the recording process. But im sure he'll bring some good vibes to the stage. Lets just hope they bring back to anything that can sound like before the days of reroute to remain (and they've remained nu radio metal ever since)
!J.O.O.E.! - 08.03.2011 at 20:48
They will never go back to their old style people. I accepted that years ago, you should all move on.
Mikyz - 08.03.2011 at 20:54
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 08.03.2011 at 20:48

Agreed, but I still think that they can surprise us with their new sound, they have the potential.
!J.O.O.E.! - 08.03.2011 at 21:09
Written by Mikyz on 08.03.2011 at 20:54

Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 08.03.2011 at 20:48

Perhaps, and I hope so, but I can't see them adopting anything less money-making style wise. i dunno, I think Anders should just stop doing vocals for the band, he's an incredibly weak screamer (unless he wants to go back to his coarser death style) and they just need a stronger sound that's either more melodic and harmonic or something a bit edgier.
fazzeh - 09.03.2011 at 12:43
Nothing changed about the abomination of an album they've got ready for ear-raping us though...

News In Flames - Announce The Title Of The New Album 7.5 07.01.2008 by Sheol
News In Flames - Announce Second Live Session Guitarist 7.5 02.12.2006 by
Melodic metal forum Ex-In Flames guitarist Jesper Strömblad releases new song! 6 26.07.2011 by ToreWulf
News Epica - Announce New Guitarist 5.5 16.01.2009 by Radwolf