Official press release

In the wake of vocalist Matt Barlow's retirement, dozens of demos and resumes flooded Iced Earth's management team. But one name kept popping up - Into Eternity vocalist Stu Block, who has been named the new lead singer for Iced Earth.

According to Schaffer, Robert Kampf, CEO of Century Media, early on suggested Block, whose band Into Eternity was previously on the CM label. That reminded Schaffer of one night in September, 2008, when Into Eternity opened for Iced Earth.

"Iced Earth was backstage waiting to go on," said Schaffer. "We heard one of Stu's incredible wails. I remember turning to Matt and saying, 'Damn, that dude has serious range.'"

So while Iced Earth's management team sifted through the growing number of prospective vocalists, Schaffer got in touch with Block. After several phone conversations with the then-prospective Iced Earth vocalist, Schaffer asked his manager to e-mail Block several key Iced Earth songs, with the vocals stripped. Block went into his studio and recorded himself singing, then sent the files back to the team. The result landed Block an intense two days at Schaffer's studio where the two musicians hit it off.

"I felt a lot of chemistry between us, we knocked out a couple of great original pieces of music in no time" said Schaffer. "He's very good at coming up with catchy melodies, and will help with lyrical duties as well. There's no doubt Stu has an amazing vocal range and a lot of energy, but he also has the touring experience, which is a big plus for our plans of performing in all corners of the world."

In addition, Schaffer said Block has what Iced Earth needs in a front man: "stage presence that includes high energy, passion, and focused rage."

"Stu is charismatic and understands the depth and varying emotions in Iced Earth's music," said Schaffer. "So he will embody not only the emotion of our songs, but he will be able to perform them in a dynamic way. I believe fans are in for some incredible records and live shows in the coming years."

(Photo courtesy of Cortney Roth)

New Iced Earth vocalist Stu Block concurs: "Iced Earth fans are wonderful, wonderful people," he said. "The music is so passionate. So they're passionate, and very loyal to the band. I am, too. I'm a huge fan of Iced Earth myself. So I share that same passion, and I will show it on stage. I think the fans are really going to dig it."

Block continues: "It's a huge honor to be doing this, to be part of this team," he said. "It's a dream come true, for sure."

Schaffer is totally stoked. "This is a new beginning," he said. "It's game-on time. Iced Earth is going to record and tour like it never has before. The band is really amped-up and ready to hit the ground running in November."

And to prove it, Iced Earth has released the European leg of a world tour that will take the band to countries it has never previously played. All told, the 2011-2012 Iced Earth world tour will be the largest the band has undertaken since its inception.

Iced Earth - European Tour Dates:

Source: icedearth.com
Band profile: Iced Earth
Event: Iced Earth: World Dystopia Tour 2011-2012

Posted: 16.03.2011 by Mihailo_FF

Comments

Angelic Storm - 16.03.2011 at 19:36
I've never heard Into Eternity, so I have no idea what this guy sounds like! lol *Goes to check out some of his vocals*

There is no way they would have undertaken such a long tour with Matt Barlow in the band, which I think is ultimately why he left. Jon sees Iced Earth as a full time commitment, whereas Matt only saw it as like a part-time hobby.

And there's no scottish dates!
BloodTears - 16.03.2011 at 19:36
I don't care much about Iced Earth. I'm just worried that my dearest Into Eternity might need a new vocalist now. Oh well, it's not like they have a new album on the way or anything...
Vegard R - 16.03.2011 at 19:40
Never heard of this guy before, but I've listened to some Into Eternity-songs today, and he do sounds very impressing..! Ten thousand times better than Mr. Boring - Tim Ripper Owens - in my opinion. Looking forward to hear the new guy singing old Iced Earth songs, as well as new material!
Lonniehaskel - 16.03.2011 at 19:43
Haven't decided how I feel about this. I've been an Iced Earth fan since I discovered them shortly after the release of Something Wicked, and to this day, I've only seen them once due to work (and it was the TGB set). So I'm really hoping this decision was a good one and that they'll deliver live.
Angelic Storm - 16.03.2011 at 19:44
Woah, Ive just heard Stu, and Into Eternity, and it's kind of surprising that he'd be chosen for Iced Earth, but in a way it's also not. Jon is right about him having great range, not sure how he'll fit into Iced Earth though. Into Eternity sound pretty great too, shame they are losing their vocalist.
Holy Man - 16.03.2011 at 19:46
I saw this guy open up for Iced Earth in 08... I'm fuckin stoked. I can't wait to see how this shit turns out. Everybody has all these "fill Matt Barlow's shoes" statements to make, but I think this guy is going to be a good mix of almost every vocalist they've had thus far. The only thing I'm worried about is how long he's actually gonna stick around, being that his other band is still functioning and all that...
RavenKing - 16.03.2011 at 19:50
I don't like vocals in Into Eternity at all, so if the guy uses the same vocals in Iced Earth, I'm definitely out. He has range but I hate his high-pitched vocals.
Doesn't matter, as I expect nothing good to come out of Iced Earth anyway.
Valentin B - 16.03.2011 at 19:52
22.11.2011 - ROM - Bucarest, The Silver Church.

excellent.

just listened to Timeless Winter and HOLY GODDAMNED SHIT this guy is amazing. he has a much bigger diversity in his vocals than Barlow, Ripper AND Greely. i would say he is an excellent choice for the band, and i would 100% prefer an excellent album with him on vocals than some cashgrab with Barlow.
Ag Fox - 16.03.2011 at 20:17
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.03.2011 at 19:44

Listen to the song Timeless Winter on youtube. You might like him more ^^
Angelic Storm - 16.03.2011 at 20:24
Written by Ag Fox on 16.03.2011 at 20:17
]Listen to the song Timeless Winter on youtube. You might like him more ^^

I already did a few minutes ago... hehe

It is a great song, and I'm intrigued to see how he'll fit in Iced Earth. I don't think his more death style vocals will fit, but he has great range, and I think he could pull it off. We''ll just have to wait and see. xD
MetalSpider - 16.03.2011 at 20:28
Stu Block in Iced Earth? Never imagined that lol.
TheLostChord - 16.03.2011 at 20:35
I stopped giving a fuck about Iced Earth the first time Matt Barlow left the band.
Enemy of Reality - 16.03.2011 at 20:37
Weird but nice choice for vocalist.

No date in Portugal?
RavenKing - 16.03.2011 at 20:39
Ten studio albums, five different vocalists.
I wonder if any other metal band had so many changes of vocalist?
ForgerOfFate - 16.03.2011 at 20:40
I think Stu will be a great fit. I dont think they could have found anyone better to fill such a position. I just woder if Stu will be using any of his growling in iced earth...would be very interesting....
Angelic Storm - 16.03.2011 at 20:47
Written by RavenKing on 16.03.2011 at 20:39

Ten studio albums, five different vocalists.
I wonder if any other metal band had so many changes of vocalist?

Right off the top of my head, Black Sabbath is an obvious answer. lol They've had Ozzy, Dio, Ian Gillan, Glenn Hughes, and Tony Martin in different lineups throughout the years.
RavenKing - 16.03.2011 at 20:58
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.03.2011 at 20:47

Written by RavenKing on 16.03.2011 at 20:39

Ten studio albums, five different vocalists.
I wonder if any other metal band had so many changes of vocalist?

Ah, yes. But their career has been much longer than Iced Earth's.
J. N. - 16.03.2011 at 21:07
Written by BloodTears on 16.03.2011 at 19:36

Yes, they do.
NeverAgain - 16.03.2011 at 21:08
Growly vocals in Iced Earth? About time they did something different. Colour me interested.
Angelic Storm - 16.03.2011 at 21:08
Written by RavenKing on 16.03.2011 at 20:58
Ah, yes. But their career has been much longer than Iced Earth's.

True, though Tony Martin is the last new vocalist they've had, and he joined in 1987. And they actually had 6 vocalists, if you count Ray Gillen who sang for them for a short time during the "7th Star" tour. lol So, they've had around the same amount of vocalists as Iced Earth have had in a similar time span. Because Sabbath haven't had any new vocalists since 1987.
Lit. - 16.03.2011 at 21:23
Matt Barlow retiring sucks, but I like the work of this guy.
It might not be Barlow good, but it might be good compared to stuff like Night of the Stormrider.
RavenKing - 16.03.2011 at 21:43
Written by Lit. on 16.03.2011 at 21:23

Matt Barlow retiring sucks, but I like the work of this guy.

"Night Of The Stormrider" is the best studio stuff Iced Earth ever did.
BloodTears - 16.03.2011 at 22:16
Written by J. N. on 16.03.2011 at 21:07

Written by BloodTears on 16.03.2011 at 19:36

Yes, they do.

I know, that's why I said that. That's why I'm worried.
Vitriolic Hate - 16.03.2011 at 22:21
Written by MetalSpider on 16.03.2011 at 20:28

Stu Block in Iced Earth? Never imagined that lol.

me too .
Dark Cornatus - 16.03.2011 at 23:23
Written by RavenKing on 16.03.2011 at 21:43

Written by Lit. on 16.03.2011 at 21:23

Matt Barlow retiring sucks, but I like the work of this guy.

"Night Of The Stormrider" is the best studio stuff Iced Earth ever did.

Agreed.
DoomGuard - 17.03.2011 at 00:33
Dislike
SkaldfraNorden - 17.03.2011 at 01:11
24. 11. - Belgrade, SRB

First, Guardian and Priest, and Schaffer and Co. now coming to Belgrade! This is going to be one hell of a metal year
Angelic Storm - 17.03.2011 at 01:17
I slightly prefer "Burnt Offerings" to NOTS, but still, it is an amazing album. The likes of which, Jon will very likely never pen again.
RavenKing - 17.03.2011 at 01:53
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.03.2011 at 01:17

Totally agreed with the last sentence.
WorpeX - 17.03.2011 at 01:54
This is AWESOME news! I love Stu and I had the opportunity to see him open for Iced Earth a few years ago as well. Everything they say about him is true, incredible range, impressive stage performance and a lot of energy. I remember during his set he climbed on top of one of the Amps to sing. It was awesome!

As much as I love Into Eternity, seeing him in Iced Earth will be so much better!
LeChron James - 17.03.2011 at 02:04
Stu looks extremely power metal in that picture.
Black Conundrum - 17.03.2011 at 02:26
Written by Ag Fox on 16.03.2011 at 20:17

Written by Angelic Storm on 16.03.2011 at 19:44

Listen to the song Timeless Winter on youtube. You might like him more ^^

Because of the comments on this thread, I decided to listen to that song as well. Those vocals are phenomenal and varied. One other thing I liked about the song is the drumming.
Arcticus - 17.03.2011 at 03:29
Listening to 'Timeless Winter', Stu's high-pitched vocals remind me a little of Midnight from Crimson Glory, although more forced...still not bad, I'll certainly be interested to see what Iced Earth come up with next. Never give up hope!
Evican - 17.03.2011 at 05:00
Written by BloodTears on 16.03.2011 at 22:16

Written by J. N. on 16.03.2011 at 21:07

Written by BloodTears on 16.03.2011 at 19:36

Yes, they do.

I know, that's why I said that. That's why I'm worried.

Agreed. Not to mention with the new album coming up they will need to tour... I hope the release date doesn't get pushed back. I was really holding out for them to be on next year's 70000 Tons Of Metal cruise. Being Canadian (as UMC is a Canadian company) and having a new album releasing this year puts them as a logical choice and relatively high chance of being booked.
Novas - 17.03.2011 at 05:40
I just listened to "Timeless Winter" and DUDE this guy can just about sing every style of metal. No lie. Though i wont be too thrilled if he will sing in his black metal vocals. The deepest and darkest vocals Iced Earth went was on Burnt Offerings. So i think his growling will be sweet for those songs. But it also sounds like Iced Earth will be going back to their debut and Night of the Stormrider albums blended with Burnt Offerings due to how he sings. But he may just sing in his clean & his high pitched vocals with Iced Earth. But i dont know, gotta wait and see.....
BloodTears - 17.03.2011 at 11:05
Written by Evican on 17.03.2011 at 05:00

Written by BloodTears on 16.03.2011 at 22:16

Written by J. N. on 16.03.2011 at 21:07

Written by BloodTears on 16.03.2011 at 19:36

Yes, they do.

I know, that's why I said that. That's why I'm worried.

As far as I know, there hasn't been much tours in the last few years. I don't know if I'll ever see them live, since they seldom come to Europe. We'll see what happens. But there is a possibility that they'll have to take even more time releasing the new album.
TrollandDie - 17.03.2011 at 13:52
Seems like a worthy vocalist.

His death metal vocals alongside his high-pitched shrieks will be very interesting to see how it mixes with Iced Earth's heavy/US power/thrash metal rather than melodic death metal.

I just hope they give him some creative space and not just try to cover previous vocalists as accurately as possible.
Angelic Storm - 17.03.2011 at 15:02
Written by TrollandDie on 17.03.2011 at 13:52

Well, Ripper Owens has said that he felt very restricted creatively in Iced Earth, because of the way Jon runs the band. He wanted to write more for Iced Earth, but he wasn't able to.
RavenKing - 17.03.2011 at 16:03
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.03.2011 at 15:02

Written by TrollandDie on 17.03.2011 at 13:52

I remember him saying something like that, indeed.
WorpeX - 17.03.2011 at 17:57
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.03.2011 at 15:02

Written by TrollandDie on 17.03.2011 at 13:52

Judging by the Ripper's solo work, I'm quite glad he didn't write for Iced Earth. Perhaps it wasn't that John was running it strictly, it was that the Ripper's ideas weren't very good.
Angelic Storm - 17.03.2011 at 18:10
Written by WorpeX on 17.03.2011 at 17:57

Oh come on, there isn't a single song in Iced Earth's history that doesn't have Jon in the writing credits for it. Of course he runs the band strictly, he's very much like Dave Mustaine or Jeff Waters in that respect. It does seem like he is a bit of a dictator in the band, and likes to have his own way most of the time. Besides, Ripper's solo album is better than "The Crucible Of Man", at least overall it is.
WorpeX - 17.03.2011 at 18:32
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.03.2011 at 18:10

Written by WorpeX on 17.03.2011 at 17:57

I dunno, comparing the two is like trying to figure out which worm infested apple is the most edible. They were both pretty bad, although Framing Armageddon wasn't much better either in my opinion. I really liked Glorious Burden though... not sure why it has such a low score here on MS.
Angelic Storm - 17.03.2011 at 18:43
Written by WorpeX on 17.03.2011 at 18:32

Haha! Touche' Well, at least I don't feel incredibly bored sitting through Ripper's album, as unremarkable as it is for the most part. lol Whereas I find TCOM to be incredibly monotonous for most of it's runtime. ("I Walk Alone" and "Divide/Devour" being rare decent interludes from the boredom.) For me at least, though "Framing Armageddon" has some flaws, and certainly isn't a classic IE album, I find it to be overall, far better than TCOM. I love about half of what's on that album. Wheras TCOM has less than a handful of songs (and one of them is a short interlude type song. lol) that I like. Totally agreed with you on "The Glorious Burden" though, it's a very underrated album IMO. "Hollow Man" is the only song I really dislike on it, a very consistent album it is. xD
Valentin B - 21.03.2011 at 20:03
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.03.2011 at 21:08

Written by RavenKing on 16.03.2011 at 20:58
Ah, yes. But their career has been much longer than Iced Earth's.

you also forgot Jon Schaffer as he does some vocals too(and he's quite good too, he's almost indistinguishable from Barlow when it comes to the hard-hitting low register). if they get another vocalist they're gonna be the band with the most number of vocalists in history..
Angelic Storm - 22.03.2011 at 05:47
Written by Valentin B on 21.03.2011 at 20:03

I think "Stormrider" is the only Iced Earth song that features Jon on lead vocals, (for a full song) so I'm not sure if he would count as being one of their lead vocalists. lol

There are some songs though, where his trade off vocals with Matt really enhances the sound, as is the case with "Burnt Offerings". The song "Iced Earth" itself, is a good example of Jon's vocals enhancing a song as well. xD
Yasmine - 24.03.2011 at 03:48
Written by RavenKing on 16.03.2011 at 19:50

Doesn't matter, as I expect nothing good to come out of Iced Earth anyway.

Completely agree, his vocals are pretty bad. Kiddie whiney type of voice. At least Ripper has strong vibrato.
RavenKing - 25.03.2011 at 00:49
Written by Yasmine on 24.03.2011 at 03:48

Written by RavenKing on 16.03.2011 at 19:50

Doesn't matter, as I expect nothing good to come out of Iced Earth anyway.

Looks like most people don't agree with us but it doesn't matter to me. Personally, I have a general dislike for high-pitched clean vocals the kind you usually find in Powermetal. Anyway, I listen almost exclusively to Metal with harsh vocals nowadays.

By the way, you nearly have the same name as my best female friend. Her name is Jasmine.
Yasmine - 25.03.2011 at 00:54
Written by RavenKing on 25.03.2011 at 00:49

Written by Yasmine on 24.03.2011 at 03:48

Written by RavenKing on 16.03.2011 at 19:50

Doesn't matter, as I expect nothing good to come out of Iced Earth anyway.

Not a common name in the USA at all.

I love power metal vocals, the skill different between it and harsh stuff is so unbalanced. However that said I like a real singer but I love death and black metal, just love it for the music, the vocals are just alright for the most part. There's a few who actually do something different now and then.
RavenKing - 25.03.2011 at 00:57
Written by Yasmine on 25.03.2011 at 00:54

Not a common name in the USA at all.

Yasmine or Jasmine?
ecent - 26.04.2011 at 14:02
I've been a fan of Into Eternity for years now, I am so happy to hear this news, as much as I love Barlow....

Stu Block is a legend.

News Iced Earth - New Album Release Date/Cover Art/Tracklist Revealed, Tour Dates Announced 12 29.07.2011 by JÄY
News Iced Earth - 2014 European Tour Announced 10.5 23.04.2013 by Truemetaljope
News Iced Earth - European Tour Dates 10.5 30.07.2007 by White Winter Sun
News Moss - New Track Streaming Online, European Tour Dates Announced 8.5 05.02.2013 by Draugen
News Delain - New Album Title Revealed, European Tour Announced 7 09.12.2011 by Milena