Earlier this week, Megadeth only managed to play a six-song set in St. Petersburg, Russia. Apparently frontman Dave Mustaine collapsed (that was a lie, he didn't collapse, he only passed out for a while, our apologies for any confusion, ed.) before the European Carnage Tour show with Slayer (that other band full of old men), and was found to be suffering the effects of a kidney stone. Medical experts wanted to send him to the hospital immediately, but Mustaine insisted on playing at least a short show.

Mustaine issued the following long-winded message explaining the events: "Last night I was getting ready for the concert, and two hours before the show, I started to feel like I had a hernia, or more like I had been hit in the groin.

I told my tour manager that I needed a doctor and that there was no way I was going to get through this on my own; that I thought it might be in my best interest to consider canceling the show.

Now I rarely, if ever cancel shows, and after 45 minutes of prayer with my loving wife and sweating like a dog, I was told to pee for the doctors. They then explained that there was blood in my urine. I was mad; I would say pissed, but that is an obvious pun.

So they gave me an IV, and analgesic, and an anti-inflammatory injection. The next hour is kinda blurry, but I woke up and David Ellefson was holding my hand and praying over me, and even Tom Araya and Dave Lombardo from Slayer came in to check on me, so I knew I was gonna be OK.

For now.

And to anyone that thinks Tom and I are still opposed, I feel sorry for you.

Anyway, when I woke up, they said that there was so many people outside of the venue still, that they could hold the show for 30 additional minutes, and I said, "Guys, I am OK, and we can do this."

Well, the doctors were not amused at all. But then again, they have never met the likes of one Dave Mustaine.

I told the band that I was 'OK' going on for a few songs, to at least help the fans feel a teensy bit better, and that not to allow the promoter to cancel the show.

Please don't get me wrong, the promoter did not want me to cancel, but he also was concerned with my health.

So what was said was this:

Dave Mustaine has become seriously ill (the kidney stone and the blood in my urine), and the doctors are INSISTING he goes to the hospital.

The crowd immediately voiced their displeasure, and right then, perfectly timed, the promoter finished by saying, "But Dave Mustaine is refusing to go to hospital until he can play a few songs for you. So, stand by, because coming up next, MEGADETH!"

The fans lost it.

So we were going to play four songs and someone said, "Let's play "Trust", "Sweating Bullets", "Symphony Of Destruction", "Peace Sells", and the "Holy Wars" reprise," and I said, "We have to play "A Tout Le Monde", and let's put that in before "Sweating" and if I can't do it, then I will just skip it, and we can just go to "Symphony"."

Well, it turns out that all of my friends were praying for me and when the lights went out the audience went off!

I ended up playing all six songs after all, and I truly believe it was the prayer that got that stone out of me.

I feel 95.7% better today, and I don't want anyone else to worry. I am a tough old skunk, and so I am taking this time to explain in more detail than I normally would about a physical matter.

Thank you to everyone who prayed for me, and for everyone that continues to pray for me.

And now, I have a concert I must go to. God bless you all, and now everyone who prayed for me, please pray for Jeff Hanneman of Slayer (who is recovering from surgery on his right arm)."

Source: rocknewsdesk.com
Band profile: Megadeth
Event: Slayer + Megadeth: European Carnage Tour

Posted: 19.03.2011 by Dominus

Comments

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: [1] 2

MechanisT - 19.03.2011 at 11:29
What the hell's going on?! I'm getting sick and tired of all this crap! The amount of musicians dying/falling ill to serious ailments is staggering this year...
Hope he makes a speedy recovery...
In Bone Factory - 19.03.2011 at 11:38
I hope He'll catch his health and strength again.I love you Dave and wish you good luck
Elio - 19.03.2011 at 11:41
Written by MechanisT on 19.03.2011 at 11:29

Hope he makes a speedy recovery...

you know, people getting older and shit. It's not like people can be healthy as their were in their 20s
Thryce - 19.03.2011 at 11:41
Prayers... or tiger blood?
Brutalhellblazer - 19.03.2011 at 11:49
Jeff Hanneman,Tom Araya,Jim Sheppard and now Dave Mustaine...
WTF,They're all Fucking Sick...
Dave Rules
BloodTears - 19.03.2011 at 12:13
Like I said elsewhere, I hope they all make it alive to Portugal. Fingers crossed.
Yuyu - 19.03.2011 at 12:30
Best regards for Dave, rocker to the bone!!!
Kingface - 19.03.2011 at 12:36
Holy hell, not good. Sure he'll get through it though.
Metal Invader - 19.03.2011 at 13:27
Written by BloodTears on 19.03.2011 at 12:13

I agree..same here for Croatia
Syk - 19.03.2011 at 13:39
But Dave, your balls, how are they? How are your balls, Dave? Dave's balls are all that really matter. I pray for your balls, Dave
moe5512 - 19.03.2011 at 14:07
Written by Syk on 19.03.2011 at 13:39

Vitriolic Hate - 19.03.2011 at 14:40
Written by Elio on 19.03.2011 at 11:41

Written by MechanisT on 19.03.2011 at 11:29

Hope he makes a speedy recovery...

Indeed.
MechanisT - 19.03.2011 at 14:44
Written by Elio on 19.03.2011 at 11:41

Written by MechanisT on 19.03.2011 at 11:29

Hope he makes a speedy recovery...

I'm aware of that, but personally it's bloody sad seeing so much unfortunate events in such a short span of time. Regarding age, people in their middle ages should hardly have this level of serious illnesses ideally, so all this is very sad to see.
Kub - 19.03.2011 at 14:59
It really bugs me how much of a christian fanatic Dave has become. Yeah, it was God himself who pulled the stone from your dick, Dave. Hope He didn't choke on it.

I like his music and he's a great artist, but his childish beliefs indicate that he also is a moron, unfortunately.
Elio - 19.03.2011 at 15:37
Written by MechanisT on 19.03.2011 at 14:44

Written by Elio on 19.03.2011 at 11:41

Written by MechanisT on 19.03.2011 at 11:29

Hope he makes a speedy recovery...

People in their middles ages who have spent even more than half their lifetime travelling around continents, screaming, sweating, jumping and, let's not forget it, often taken too much drugs and alcohol.
Bad English - 19.03.2011 at 15:45
Written by MechanisT on 19.03.2011 at 11:29

Hope he makes a speedy recovery...

how much booze, heroin, cocain he has done + smoke, ....how long body can handle it, even he dont do drugs but his lost 2o years from life, he might die soon, might recah 60, but after 60 he be old .,
MechanisT - 19.03.2011 at 15:58
Written by Elio on 19.03.2011 at 15:37

Written by MechanisT on 19.03.2011 at 14:44

Written by Elio on 19.03.2011 at 11:41

Written by MechanisT on 19.03.2011 at 11:29

Hope he makes a speedy recovery...

You have a valid point, but it's still sad to see how things turn out just as feared.
MechanisT - 19.03.2011 at 15:59
Written by Bad English on 19.03.2011 at 15:45

Written by MechanisT on 19.03.2011 at 11:29

Hope he makes a speedy recovery...

Can't argue with that, unfortunately. Just struggling to come to terms with the harshness of reality, I guess.
Bad English - 19.03.2011 at 16:01
Written by MechanisT on 19.03.2011 at 15:59

Can't argue with that, unfortunately. Just struggling to come to terms with reality, I guess.

you are young you fight , after quit you fele fine, but one day pain somewhere you ehh its gone Im ok after 4 months heavy pain strike sagian and generaly it means soon you die ....
....this is to every body who start smoke, do drugs , we all die, but even in 70 we shood live and walk normaly
MechanisT - 19.03.2011 at 16:10
Written by Bad English on 19.03.2011 at 16:01

Written by MechanisT on 19.03.2011 at 15:59

RavenKing - 19.03.2011 at 16:19
Written by Elio on 19.03.2011 at 15:37

Exactly. People need to realize that there's nothing surprising when Metal musicians have health problems in their 30s-40s. It's the result of a shitty lifestyle. Their destructive habits wear out their body prematurely.
The Shape 1973 - 19.03.2011 at 16:21
Written by Kub on 19.03.2011 at 14:59

Since when has being a Christian been childish? He has found God and good luck to him. Far better than the issues he had when he was younger.
Xim - 19.03.2011 at 17:21
Written by The Shape 1973 on 19.03.2011 at 16:21

Written by Kub on 19.03.2011 at 14:59

Yeah there is nothing wrong with been Christian or having faith in any religion. Honestly, I think it's a good thing for him. Mustaine really needs something to have faith in that doesn't involve snorting through your nose or injecting into your arm with you belt strapped around it. He needed to get OFF the drugs and Christianity helped him do that.

I'm not religious myself, but if somebody wants to have faith and it makes them a better person then all the power too them. The only part where it goes too far is when they push their beliefs on others. And well, it goes both ways too, atheists shouldn't bash people for believing in a certain religion the same way religious people shouldn't bash atheist (or people of a different faith) for not sharing their beliefs.
Void Eater - 19.03.2011 at 17:25
"They then explained that there was blood in my urine. I was mad; I would say pissed, but that is an obvious pun."

Should I laugh, or do a facepalm?

Either way, I'm glad that Jesus stuck his hand in your scrotum, Dave. Wishin you a speedy recovery
Elodie Artour - 19.03.2011 at 17:30
I feel sorry to hear that news. Dave is cool, so I hope he'll be absolutely fine pretty soon! Speedy recovery, tough guy!

As for rock and metal musicians having health problems at a young age, I should admit I'm not surprised, either. However, it is always kinda disturbing (even shocking at times!) to read about seriously ill or dead musicians.

Else, I'm not fond of Christianity either but I have to agree with The Shape 1973 that Dave should better concentrate on his current religious beliefs rather than his past habits...
SlaytanicGonzo - 19.03.2011 at 17:35
Still playing some songs with a stone in your kidney. If that's not fucking metal, then what is.
Lit. - 19.03.2011 at 18:10
I admire the fact that Dave still played even through that.
Get well soon and rock on, Dave!
selken - 19.03.2011 at 19:30
Oh that sucks... I didn't read the statement cause is too large, but the man is always before the artist, I wish he recover soon, get those stones removed already!! and eat less salt xD
Valentin B - 19.03.2011 at 20:11
I don't agree with Mustaine about all the praying and whatever but i still love his very eccentric personality.

it's like he's in "Sweating Bullets" mode 24/7
bloodface - 19.03.2011 at 21:11
Aside from it's length his note is wrong on so many levels.
* "But then again, they have never met the likes of one Dave Mustaine."
* "I feel 95.7% better today, and I don't want anyone else to worry."
* "I am a tough old skunk"
etc.

it seems like he's now trying to make it hard for me to like his music that i grew up on (see also Kiss and Anthrax).
Kub - 19.03.2011 at 21:21
Written by The Shape 1973 on 19.03.2011 at 16:21

Written by Kub on 19.03.2011 at 14:59

Well, believing that God helped him to piss out his kidney stone, or believing that prayer is actually making stuff happen, is childish. The same as believing Santa Clause is real.
Kub - 19.03.2011 at 21:29
Written by Xim on 19.03.2011 at 17:21

Don't want to go off topic here, but you are mistaken in saying that science (which is basis of atheism pretty much) has the same rights as religion. Atheists do not "believe" in anything. Science doesn't work that way. I suppose it's hard to understand if you base your world outlook on fairytales.

I don't really need this Jesus bullshit in my music, thank you. I've liked this guy better before he became a religious freak. Alcohol and drugs ate half of his mind, I suppose, and here are the results.
Xim - 19.03.2011 at 21:31
Written by Kub on 19.03.2011 at 21:29

When did I ever say that? All I'm saying is that atheists shouldn't bash theists for having beliefs and theists shouldn't bash atheists for not sharing theirs.
snake? snaaaake! - 19.03.2011 at 22:44
Written by Brutalhellblazer on 19.03.2011 at 11:49

Jeff Hanneman,Tom Araya,Jim Sheppard and now Dave Mustaine...
WTF,They're all Fucking Sick...
Dave Rules

King Diamond too
bodomroy - 20.03.2011 at 01:00
It was god who heal megadave not the medical attention, gimme a break!! he prays so much it becomes boring! Anyway, take care Dave and get well soon
renai - 20.03.2011 at 02:20
Be quick recover... a kidney stone stucked... that's awful i think. prayer sent.
mikeprado30 - 20.03.2011 at 02:50
I join my prayer 4 u, Dave! God bless you greatly, man! The planet still needs you and your AMAZING music!
Daggon - 20.03.2011 at 03:39
Oh well, that wasn't unexpected at all, next thing we'll see is Lars Ulrich undergoing a hair transplant surgery...
Black Conundrum - 20.03.2011 at 05:06
I guess this sort of lifestyle does take premature tolls on people. This live performance seemed to be an especially important one in his career, considering the circumstances. Kudos to Mustaine for hanging in there andstaying strong for that kidney stoone.
ruffio - 20.03.2011 at 08:20
Written by Kub on 19.03.2011 at 21:29

Im not religious at all, but you do realize that you dont have to listen to it? And as for him being a fanatic christian, I disagree, He'd have turned his live shows into metal renditions of Jesus Camp (the movie) if he really was that bad.
AkshayShringarpure - 20.03.2011 at 09:49
How the fuck can anyone 'Like' a news story like this!
Aeonfrost - 20.03.2011 at 11:57
This news is false according to Mustaine's personal assistant
The Shape 1973 - 20.03.2011 at 12:12
Written by Kub on 19.03.2011 at 21:21

Written by The Shape 1973 on 19.03.2011 at 16:21

Written by Kub on 19.03.2011 at 14:59

You are entitled to your opinion, however misguided it maybe. But to compare God to Santa Claus . I feel sorry you do not have God in your life.
Angelic Storm - 20.03.2011 at 12:57
Religious people patronising non-religious people, and vice versa... why can't people just let others believe what they want to believe in, (or not believe in anything) and stop putting them down just because they have a different view? lol

Anyways, hope Dave gets well soon. xD
NeverAgain - 20.03.2011 at 13:37
God or no god, this statement is a showcase of how arrogant and self centred Mustaine is. Worst is that no one would care what he says If he had released anything decent since Countdown.
Jon - 20.03.2011 at 14:24
Written by Elodie Artour on 19.03.2011 at 17:30

Quite right, he's simply swapped one addiction for another. Christianity artificially dulls the pain and gives you something to waste money on just like drugs... that's why you get so many ferociously fanatically reborn Christians, they approach the religion with the same mindless and unquestioning obsession they formerly did their old vices.
RavenKing - 20.03.2011 at 15:00
Written by Angelic Storm on 20.03.2011 at 12:57

That's why I consider religion as a plague on mankind. It causes too much conflict between people.
The world would be better without religion.
The Shape 1973 - 20.03.2011 at 15:08
Written by RavenKing on 20.03.2011 at 15:00

Written by Angelic Storm on 20.03.2011 at 12:57

The world would be better without religion.

It is man's inability to get on with man that is the problem. Man is greedy and wants what his neighbour has got.

Religion is not the problem, it is man's incorrect use of it. To use it as an excuse to do things that are clearly against religion. From the Irish conflict, crusades, to the middle east, religion has been the scapegoat for man's destructive nature.
RavenKing - 20.03.2011 at 15:23
Written by The Shape 1973 on 20.03.2011 at 15:08

All this is entirely true. I surely won't deny how greedy people are.
Problem is religion can be used as a tool of control and an excuse to start conflicts. I can't help but think if there was no religion, greedy people could not use it as a weapon.
The Shape 1973 - 20.03.2011 at 15:33
Written by RavenKing on 20.03.2011 at 15:23

Written by The Shape 1973 on 20.03.2011 at 15:08

All this is entirely true. I surely won't deny how greedy people are.

A lot of people depend on religion and have faith. People who would never use it as an excuse or mask to hide behind. I don't know what the ratio is between people who benefit or people who abuse it. But to get rid of it would adversely effect alot of people.

I happen to believe in God and that he created us with freewill. If you follow Him, then good, if you don't, thats your call. I'm not here to be converting people, but I can't let some comments go unanswered.

Pages: [1] 2

News Megadeth - Frontman Forms New Band 6 12.05.2011 by Xim
News Iron Maiden - To Return To The US, Shows With Megadeth 4 08.04.2013 by Captain Obvious
News Slayer - American Carnage Tour With Megadeth, Testament 4 17.11.2009 by Valentin B
News Slayer - American Carnage Tour II With Megadeth, Anthrax 4 12.07.2010 by Valentin B
News Rob Zombie - To Enter Studio In June, Announce More Tour Dates With Megadeth 4 29.03.2012 by Boxcar Willy