Bassist Frankie Sparcello of reactivated New Orleans groove metallers Exhorder has passed away yesterday (Tuesday, March 22nd). More information will be made available shortly.

Sparcello joined Exhorder prior to the recording sessions for the band's sophomore album, The Law, released in 1992. The group broke up a short time later and reformed with its original lineup a few years later (and repeated that process a couple of times). Sparcello rejoined Exhorder in 2009 and was scheduled to perform with the band at this year's Maryland Deathfest IX, set to take place May 26-29, 2011 at Sonar in Baltimore.

[Thanks to Baz Anderson for the tip!]

Source: roadrunnerrecords.com
Band profile: Exhorder

Posted: 23.03.2011 by Thryce

Comments

Marcel Hubregtse - 23.03.2011 at 11:53
And another one.
Btw I'd rather call Exhorder thrashers instead of groove metallers. That last term has such a negative connotation.
Baz Anderson - 23.03.2011 at 11:54
Sad news indeed, I hope it doesn't stop Exhorder becoming active again.
Bastard Child - 23.03.2011 at 11:58
R.I.P. dude.
thanks for the music.
Elodie Artour - 23.03.2011 at 12:13
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.03.2011 at 11:53

And another one.

Indeed. RIP!
Mikyz - 23.03.2011 at 12:30
Death count keeps going up. People dying has become a weekly routine in metal.

I don;t know what to say anymore really.
Troy Killjoy - 23.03.2011 at 12:46
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.03.2011 at 11:53

And another one.

I think some people refer to them as the fathers of groove. While modern groove indeed carries a negative connotation, these guys were a lot more aggressive and sounded a lot tighter than most groove bands these days.
Marcel Hubregtse - 23.03.2011 at 12:49
Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.03.2011 at 12:46

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.03.2011 at 11:53

And another one.

I knwo somehow people regard them as fathers of groove, which would only apply to the Law (which was quite mediocre imo) and not Slaughter In The Vatican (that one is pure aggressive thrash)
There is a lot of revisionism going on regarding this band and its so-called influence.
RavenKing - 23.03.2011 at 13:26
They don't mention the circumstances.
Angelic Storm - 23.03.2011 at 13:59
Written by RavenKing on 23.03.2011 at 13:26

They don't mention the circumstances.

It says that more information will be made available shortly.

This is sad news of course.

I do feel that "The Law" has become quite an overrated album these days, and I definitely dont think Pantera copied them, despite what many try and suggest. "Slaughter In The Vatican" is a great album though. xD
Marcel Hubregtse - 23.03.2011 at 14:10
Written by Angelic Storm on 23.03.2011 at 13:59

Exactly. Exhorder and Phil were great friends and probably influenced each other.
I remember that on the Slaughter In The Vatican tour Kyle telling me to check out Pantera's new stuff cause that was awesome music.
Maudraum - 23.03.2011 at 14:40
Another? Sadly enough it does seem to be a weekly thing now. Fucking shame.
Angelic Storm - 23.03.2011 at 14:54
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.03.2011 at 14:10

Yep! There's a difference between "being influenced by", and "ripping off". Though Exhorder were probably just as much influenced by Pantera as the other way around. Anyhows, "The Law" was released in 1992, so I fail to see how that could really have been that much of an influence on Pantera. CFH had already been released 2 years prior to that, and "A Vulgar Display Of Power" was actually released before "The Law", and both were released in the same year.

Besides, I've never thought that Pantera sounded much like Exhorder at all, so where some imagined Pantera had "ripped them off", I'll never know.
Sword_Chant - 23.03.2011 at 14:56
Not listened to this band before but its sad to hear more terrible news RIP
Mindheist - 23.03.2011 at 16:11
Yeah, maybe you're not aware of it yet, but metalheads die too. RIP Frankie.
@gent_-_orange - 23.03.2011 at 16:36
[url][/url]
Written by Angelic Storm on 23.03.2011 at 14:54

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.03.2011 at 14:10

I think the band were influenced by Exhorder in some ways, At least Phil, was as you can see by this pic

Its not like he is denying the fact they were an influence to them. Influenced by ? Probably..... Stole Their Sound ? No way.. Saying the band directly ripped them off most of the times comes off as the historical revisionism that makes Pantera a target for the TROO'er than thou Elitists that populate the MA review's of Pantera albums.

Ranting aside though .... its a shame their bassist has passed away RIP man
!J.O.O.E.! - 23.03.2011 at 20:47
Pantera were hardly a rip off band, they did far more with the sound than Exhorder did, who were kinda bland if you ask me.

I didn't realise the term groove metal had become a slur. It isn't to me anyway. I guess I don't hang around the MA forums enough.

Anyway RIP dude.
Vitriolic Hate - 23.03.2011 at 22:12
Another one, RIP.
Thrash666 - 23.03.2011 at 22:19
Fuck. R.I.P. Brother
Aeonfrost - 23.03.2011 at 22:58
Again, another one, R.I.P
Sepulnation - 26.03.2011 at 16:41
RIP.

News Pentagram - Former Bassist Vance Bockis Passed Away At Age 50 5.5 11.09.2012 by slinx
News X Japan/Loudness - Former Bassist Passed Away 5.5 18.07.2011 by Elodie Artour
News Crimson Glory - Former Singer Midnight Passed Away 4 09.07.2009 by Icedburden
News Beheading Of A King - Vocalist Passed Away 4 03.02.2011 by Windrider