Iconoclast, the new album from US progressive metal band Symphony X, will be released on June 17th in Europe and June 21th in North America through Nuclear Blast Records.

The cover artwork was created by illustrator and film concept artist Warren Flanagan (Watchmen, The Incredible Hulk, 2012). He stated: "The idea was to create imagery that was a little darker in tone to previous Symphony X albums and to represent the overall theme of Iconoclast into the artwork. The whole concept came from Mike Romeo, who had a strong idea of what the cover should represent based off the music. I just ran with it. When the album's title was decided on, I focused the image based on the meaning of it. I also wanted to use the band's signature 'masks' but present them in a way that connected to the new album."

Symphony X founder and lead guitarist Michael Romeo has the following to say about Flanagan's art: "We worked with Warren on the last CD, Paradise Lost, and have a good relationship with him. When I talk to Warren about artwork ideas, a lot of times we end up making comparisons to films and movies. With the new CD, Iconoclast, the music and lyrics have a darker mechanical/technological theme, and I remember us talking about scenes from films like The Matrix and Terminator. From there, we sent him some songtitles and lyrics (songs like "Dehumanized", "Bastards Of The Machine", "Electric Messiah") and just let Warren run with the ball. He has a great imagination and style, and he totally gets what we are trying to convey with the music."

Russell Allen also talks about the new album in this new interview.

Iconoclast tracklist:

01. Iconoclast
02. The End Of Innocence
03. Dehumanized
04. Bastards Of The Machine
05. Heretic
06. Children Of A Faceless God
07. Electric Messiah
08. Prometheus (I Am Alive)
09. When All Is Lost

Iconoclast Special Edition digi-pak [cover art] tracklist:

CD1:
01. Iconoclast
02. The End Of Innocence
03. Dehumanized
04. Bastards Of The Machine
05. Heretic
06. Children Of A Faceless God
07. When All Is Lost

CD 2:
01. Electric Messiah
02. Prometheus (I Am Alive)
03. Light Up The Night
04. The Lords Of Chaos
05. Reign In Madness

Source: nuclearblast.de
Band profile: Symphony X

Posted: 25.03.2011 by Thryce

Comments

Angelic Storm - 25.03.2011 at 20:07
The artwork does look very modern and futuristic, but I like it!

You really will need the 2 disc edition to get the full album and experience, so I'll definitely be getting that one. Can't wait! Wish the release wasnt as late as June though...
Vikcen - 25.03.2011 at 20:12
Nice cover =) . The last album Paradise Lost was awesome, will see how is this =).
Crazy Booduh - 25.03.2011 at 20:14
I think the regular edition cover looks miles better than the special edition. It's interesting that with the 2-disc version, they would move two songs from the regular version on to the second disc. I wonder if that somehow works into the concept of the album.

Really stoked about this one though!
Angelic Storm - 25.03.2011 at 20:26
Written by Crazy Booduh on 25.03.2011 at 20:14

Really stoked about this one though!

Well, Russell said the full concept album was the double album. So if you get the regular edition, part of the album's concept will be missing. It's not like the extra tracks on disc 2 are not part of the concept, cos they are.

The cover of the 2 disc edition is definitely inferior to the single disc edition, which sucks, but I'm still getting it anyways. lol
Dark†SymphonY - 25.03.2011 at 20:40
This looks very promising and i really like album cover. I hope to hear some epic orchestra and powerful progressive stuff, just like their last album.
Kamil - 25.03.2011 at 21:14
Is it means, that we will hear some modern stuff from this band?
Raziel X - 25.03.2011 at 21:18
I am getting the special edition!
TemplarLS - 25.03.2011 at 21:59
BRUTAL!
BlankFile - 25.03.2011 at 22:18
Yeah! Can´t wait for this relese!
BlankFile - 25.03.2011 at 22:22
I want the special 2 disc edition with my eyes closed!
MechanisT - 25.03.2011 at 23:07
One of many eagerly anticipated albums this year...
Sword_Chant - 25.03.2011 at 23:24
I must check this out when it's released. This band rules..
Kingface - 26.03.2011 at 00:30
You have to buy a special, more expensive edition of the album to essentially get the proper full album? That's really poor in my opinion.

Reminds me of the modern trend with Video Games, where for a lot of games to essentially get the "full" experience you not only have to buy the full game but you also have to buy additional download content to access more content etc.

Granted it's not as expensive as that in this case and I'll still probably get the special edition, but it's still wrong in my opinion.

On the plus side, the three songs they played from this album when I saw them last night sounded brilliant!
Vitriolic Hate - 26.03.2011 at 00:30
The artwork seems kinda futuristic.
Super_Greg - 26.03.2011 at 01:11
Hmm sounds liek their going into Fear Factory/cyberpunk territory. I kinda wish they stuck with the more classic themes of their previous albums, but I'm sure it will still be amazing

These guys never seem to dissapoint!
Angelic Storm - 26.03.2011 at 01:31
Written by Kingface on 26.03.2011 at 00:30

Exactly, I couldn't agree more. It's not as if the "special edition" contains actual bonus tracks, because the other tracks on disc 2 are part of the concept and actual album itself. So essentially, the regular edition is not the full proper album. Which is crappy, and a poor decision on whoever's part who made it.
Yasmine - 26.03.2011 at 01:39
Written by Angelic Storm on 26.03.2011 at 01:31

Written by Kingface on 26.03.2011 at 00:30

LOL, Very true, but alas I want it anyway.
LeChron James - 26.03.2011 at 03:48
The regular cover vaguely reminds me of Dimmu's Abahadabra cover. But this one is way, WAY worse. the special edition cover reminds me of it more and is much better. i'll still get this though.
SexyCat_1113 - 26.03.2011 at 03:51
Great Job !
Black Conundrum - 26.03.2011 at 20:05
The album covers are definitely not what I expected, but they rule nonetheless. This is nice news.
Kincaid - 28.03.2011 at 16:20
Great news. Cant wait!!

News Lord Symphony - New Album Details And Previews 7 05.01.2014 by The Shape 1973
News Crimfall - New Album Details 5.5 10.02.2011 by The Shape 1973