Original news, published on 22.04.2011

Despite Kamelot themselves not announcing it, Roy Khan has issued a statement on his Myspace confirming the rumors of him leaving the band:

"Dear fans & friends,

There have been a lot of speculations around why I am not touring with Kamelot and I want to make a statement although it may not prevent further guessing as to what's actually going on. It is a fact however that I told the guys in the band already last fall (well after my burnout) that I was leaving the band. Naturally enough they were shocked (as was the label and everyone else working with Kamelot). In addition to risk of dropping ticket sales they wanted to give me time to think things over, and so I did. My decision still stands; It is finished.

I am currently spending time with my family in Norway taking it easy and wondering profoundly what the future is going to bring. Communication with the outer world has been so and so, but I have had several talks with Thomas along the way although I am still called in sick. I am terribly sorry that my decision is affecting so many others and I want you to know I wish the band & associates all the best for the future and that I enjoyed every second in the spotlight. How could I not...they were nourished by the best fans in the world! I am eternally thankful for everything you and Kamelot have given me and equally sorry that it has to end here. The good news is; God was there after all...

Love you to death!

All the best & so long,
Roy Khan"

UPDATED, on 22.04.2011 (Thanks to Zhao)

The remaining members of Kamelot have released the following statement regarding the departure of the band's frontman, Roy Khan:

"With a heavy heart we can now announce that Roy Khan has chosen to leave the band. We wanted to give him ample time for this kind of decision, due to his recent burnout and also the amount of amazing times we have shared with him in Kamelot. We respectfully accept his resignation from the band and wish him the best in his future endeavors. The timing is actually good since we feel the uncertainty the fans have had can now be laid to rest and the band can move on to finding a new singer.

"The tour is going great so far and the fans have been amazing throughout this entire process" - adds keyboardist Oliver Palotai. With the new tour already in progress, Kamelot has already begun the search for a new vocalist. "I have a few guys in mind", said band founder Thomas Youngblood. "And as you can imagine, it is a very important decision. There are some amazing singers that have already contacted us on this but we will take our time to find the right person". Due to the overwhelming success of the recent shows in South America, we are pleased to announce new shows in November/December for Europe (stay tuned).

* The band headlines the Print de Temps Festival tonight and will play a Amsterdam (nearing sold-out) concert tomorrow followed by a full headliner tour with special guests Evergrey, Amaranthe and Sons of Seasons. (* Guest vocalists Fabio Lione and Tommy Karevik). Thank you for your support and see you on tour!

Thomas, Casey, Oliver and Sean"

Source: kamelot.com
Band profile: Kamelot

Posted: 22.04.2011 by Zhao

Comments page 2 of 2

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 [2]

Dargor - 22.04.2011 at 21:01
Written by farfaramir on 22.04.2011 at 20:53

This was my reaction when I saw this...

Currently, I have mixed feeling between: "HAHAHA Hilarious!" and "...Not funny..."
Danyael - 22.04.2011 at 21:17
Written by Angel_Lament on 22.04.2011 at 16:53

Written by Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk on 22.04.2011 at 16:13

Written by Danyael on 22.04.2011 at 16:06

The real question is: WHY?

Rumor is that "he has found religion" or something the like.

I dont think so, coz he used to put a large cross around his neck (I saw that in the booklets)...

Maybe its the "Michael Kiske complex" again lol. Maybe he somehow figured that metal is satanic and evil and now being a religious freak doesn't want to have anything with it.

Then again, Black Halo was already quite anti-christian, and its been 6 years since it came out, so If that were really the case, he probably would have left the band much sooner. Who knows.
Angel_Lament - 22.04.2011 at 22:08
Written by Danyael on 22.04.2011 at 21:17

Written by Angel_Lament on 22.04.2011 at 16:53

Written by Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk on 22.04.2011 at 16:13

Written by Danyael on 22.04.2011 at 16:06

The real question is: WHY?

Rumor is that "he has found religion" or something the like.

yeah, that too...!!!
Radwolf - 22.04.2011 at 22:20
"Why, oh why, my god
Have you abandoned me..."

For me Khan is the Kamelot's soul, like the 'K' of 'Kamelot. Now, they are 'amelot'...
BlankFile - 22.04.2011 at 22:28
"Ghost Ópera" and "Poetry for the Poisoned" were letdowns for me and some of the passion i had for this band dissapeared with time, altough i remain a fan of the band. For that matter i think the departure of Khan from Kamelot is kind of shocking in a way, but at the same time predictable due to the latest events surrounding the band, more specifically Roy Khan´s personal problems. Well im curious to see what kind of sound will Kamelot be playing from now on, without Khan´s voice.
RhaegarTargaryen - 22.04.2011 at 22:29
Does anyone actualy knows if the god that Roy had found, is actualy Christianity at all... I'm kinda suspicious, I have some feeling it's something else ...

And I'm devasted, since they announced that he will sit out tour, I expected that he's done with Kamelot, and had hoped against hope that this is temporary ... now that it's official ... I'm wrecked...

It may not be nice thing to say, but... who gives a fuck about god or gods anyway. It's personal, what the hell on earth it has to do with metal, or being a singer...
benjamink19 - 22.04.2011 at 22:47
Yes, this is probably the worst news for Kamelot (who happens to be my favorite band); they lost the soul of their sound., and I'm devastated. But on the bright side, since he's done with Kamelot he might do other things. I'm hoping for a possible reunion of Conception, but who knows?
Milena - 22.04.2011 at 23:12
Written by The Shape 1973 on 22.04.2011 at 17:04

Absolutely gutted. But not at all surprised.

Don't know now if I want them to carry on. Who has the character in their voice to pull it off? Not Fabio, he is not good enough.

DC Cooper, Tony Kakko, Andi Kuntz, Titta Tani?

Don't touch Tony, he has his own bussiness to run

Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.04.2011 at 19:04

Written by Valentin B on 22.04.2011 at 18:51

This seems to be another really bad spring for metal.

At least the guys are still alive though.

Yeah, remember Dio.
The worst part from me is that I've missed a chance to see them with Roy. But it's not just about us, it's about the guys. If Roy was in such a state that he would leave Kamelot 'cos of it, it's quite sad, he's a great man and artist, he doesn't deserve to suffer from burnouts. And having a band is a bit like having a family, you can't simply replace someone without a huge risk of it not turning out right.
Saeed_P - 23.04.2011 at 00:15
It seems that these days are ... days for metal !!! the last bad news was about loomis and today is a bout roy . so what is next? (maybe dave from megadeth!!)
Sasha Batrakov - 23.04.2011 at 01:43
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
4look4rd - 23.04.2011 at 02:19
This news caught me by surprise. Khan gave everything he had on Karma, Epica, and The Black Halo; his legacy will live for forever. Now lets hope that the replacement is up to his standards.

I have Andre Matos in mind, but I highly doubt it will happen, or if he would even fit well with the band.
Danyael - 23.04.2011 at 02:28
Written by 4look4rd on 23.04.2011 at 02:19

Lets be a little more creative! Just for funzies, howbout the multi metal band/projects whore, Jorn Lande haha
4look4rd - 23.04.2011 at 02:32
Written by Danyael on 23.04.2011 at 02:28

Written by 4look4rd on 23.04.2011 at 02:19

Jorn Lande and Kamelot =O That would simply be way too awesome to happen. I actually think he would fit very well with Kamelot; hell he could replace even replace Lady Gaga for all that I care.
shadowdragonfly1 - 23.04.2011 at 03:41
I saw this one comming since the beggining of the tour. Tommy Karevik and michael Eriksen would be great perfect replacement, but we should wait who they really choose...
Papa_Ray - 23.04.2011 at 04:02
Shit. Just shit.
Thrashette - 23.04.2011 at 04:59
More disappointment...
I'm with everyone asking what the hell is with all these people leaving bands that I actually love
ZGoten - 23.04.2011 at 05:34
Im with Thrashette, it was sad enough to hear Ilja Jalkanen leave Kiuas and Mike Portnoy leave Dream Theater, but this is a whole other thing. Next thing you'll tell me Hansi will leave B... I don't even want to go there. But man, I already got a little scared after the news that Khan won't be touring due to both personal and health issues, but I just wasn't able to believe that it could actually come this far.

At this point, let's just hope that Khan will stay in metal business and that Kamelot will find a worthy replacement, which is going to be hard, very hard.
EpicMayhem - 23.04.2011 at 06:06
This sucks so bad... one of my favorite bands. I honestly don't think they will be able to find a singer as talented and unique sounding as Roy Khan. Guess this is the end of Kamelot.
Void Eater - 23.04.2011 at 06:10
Tommorow's headline-Tony Iommi leaves Black Sabbath!
Destructo - 23.04.2011 at 07:45
Woke up to the worst news possible. It was KK Downing 2 days back.....Loomis yesterday and now THIS !!!! Filled with sadness.
LeChron James - 23.04.2011 at 08:15
HOLY TITS another big one. This is fucking heavy even though i stopped caring about Kamelot when Black Halo came out.
Glabrezu - 23.04.2011 at 09:43
Written by EpicMayhem on 23.04.2011 at 06:06

I'm afraid you're right, Khan can't be replaced. I wish the best for him and his family.
Lachy - 23.04.2011 at 09:58
Is metal from the 90's dying off or something? Nevermore losing 2 members, and now kamelot losing khan. I think khan has one of the most distinctive voices in metal. Very hard to replace :\
Justice - 23.04.2011 at 11:46
K.k. downing
jeff loomis
van williams
roy khan

what the fuck is going on metal music
they can form a band
The Shape 1973 - 23.04.2011 at 12:11
Written by Guest on 22.04.2011 at 22:47

I'm hoping for a possible reunion of Conception, but who knows?

If this happens it will be worth the pain.
atkmetal123 - 23.04.2011 at 12:38
There'll be no more Kamelot, without Roy. He's the soul of the band, that's the truth that no one can deny.

Hope all the best for Kamelot, although the chance to make such great albums like the time Roy still there is nearly impossible!
Zhao - 23.04.2011 at 13:13
Written by The Shape 1973 on 23.04.2011 at 12:11

Written by Guest on 22.04.2011 at 22:47

I'm hoping for a possible reunion of Conception, but who knows?

If this happens it will be worth the pain.

Wont happen as Tore is busy with ARK.
EpicMayhem - 23.04.2011 at 19:20
Written by Justice on 23.04.2011 at 11:46

K.k. downing
jeff loomis
van williams
roy khan

what the fuck is going on metal music
they can form a band

don't forget Per Wiberg also left Opeth.
YvesBelanger - 23.04.2011 at 19:51
Having a ticket for the show, i hope the new singer has a voice as beautiful as Roy
morsus - 23.04.2011 at 22:23
Tomorrow's news: Mikael Akerfeldt leaves Opeth, Iron Maiden's plane crashes and they all die, Justin Bieber replaces Roy Khan
Donnie Darko - 23.04.2011 at 23:15
Written by Guest on 22.04.2011 at 22:47

I hope so I want another "Parallel Minds"
shadowdragonfly1 - 24.04.2011 at 01:22
Well there you go, the MS drama award of 2011
Justice - 24.04.2011 at 09:35
Written by EpicMayhem on 23.04.2011 at 19:20

Written by Justice on 23.04.2011 at 11:46

K.k. downing
jeff loomis
van williams
roy khan

what the fuck is going on metal music
they can form a band

don't forget Per Wiberg also left Opeth.

yes you're right
they need a bassist to form a great band
ErnilEnNaur - 24.04.2011 at 12:19
First of all, Kamelot's creative abilities peaked on The Black Halo, they've already created their album of a lifetime, a true metal classic and everything after that has been a disappointment, especially Poetry From Boyzone.

Second, I love Khan, but to say he WAS Kamelot is stupid. Thomas Youngblood has always been the creative core and even though Khan co-wrote a lot of the material (unlike a certain Tarja, whom deluded fans also claimed to have been the entire band), Kamelot was indeed not his stage name.

Third, TBH was a CONCEPT ALBUM about a man who made a deal with Mephisto (who is not the devil btw). This in no way makes Kamleot a satanic band of silliness and satanism and satanic silliness.
Dark Blood - 24.04.2011 at 15:52
Ok.. I just read the news now, and I thought this was a joke... What in the hell?... Terrible news
Amonisis - 24.04.2011 at 17:37
Okay, now i'm officially depressed :'(
Black Conundrum - 25.04.2011 at 04:20
It makes sense that he left, and that probably has to do with his abscence from touring. However, it is pretty unfortunate, especially with timing like this, where other key members have left their respective bands.
Maelgron - 27.04.2011 at 13:21
I am devastated. Anyone who has seen them live knows that Roy was the magic of Kamelot. He doesn't sing the songs. He LIVES them. Whenever I try to imagine them without Roy I think of them like an average band, it was him who made the difference, at least for me. I still have some faith because Thomas is the creative core of the band but this is a hard blow. My full support to Mr. Roy Khan, one of the people that has marked me the most in metal and music in general. And even more to the band, they deserve better.

btw Black Halo anti-christian??? Do you guys know the storyline behind Epica and Black Halo? Please, pass the joint!
Grimm - 28.04.2011 at 13:25
I'm so upset!! So, it has to do with some finding god thing...way to push me a little closer to atheism D:

I'm so so sad :'(
RhaegarTargaryen - 28.04.2011 at 23:17
Well, first of all, I must say that I am a huge fan of Roy Khan, I consider him favorite and best male vocal in metal music. So when it became official that he left the band, although it was kinda expected all the previous months, with rumors, sitting out tours and stuff ... I just thought OK that's it...
Someone will remember, that last year one one occasion Michael Eriksen from Circus Maximus, whom as it happens I rate among the top metal vocalist, did a gig with Kamelot on ProgPower USA .. there's a youtube video of "Center of the Universe", and it kinda kicks-asses ... he's fantastic.
Well, I sumbled upon some more videos, with Fabio Leone, and Tommy Karevik .. and I must say, holy fuckin shit, Karevik is just awesome. I knew the guy from Seventh Wonder albums, but .. he is just at ease with all the Kamelot songs, so natural. So the only guy I really really dislike is Fabio Leone, because he likes to scream to much form my taste and has that horrible italian accent ...

I must admit, few of these clips have given me faith that Kamelot is acutally still gona be fantastic...
Super_Greg - 30.04.2011 at 08:45
Written by morsus on 23.04.2011 at 22:23

DON"T JINX IT BRO!

Seriously, not funny ;(
evoola - 02.05.2011 at 23:48
One of the great GREAT singers in progressive metal. His range was legendary. This is a massive blow
Novas - 04.05.2011 at 20:50
This fucking sux...One of my favorite bands and one of the ones that got me into metal because of Khan's singing.....
Muse of Light - 06.05.2011 at 15:26
I've loved Kamelot for quite some time, and I think Roy Khan is an excellent singer. The band will definitely have their work cut out for them in finding a vocalist with his talent and energy. I'm disappointed that he's leaving the band, but I can hope that Kamelot will choose another great vocalist.

I am wishing Khan the best of luck in whatever he chooses to do in the future, and hope that he will eventually return to making music with his amazing voice so I can hear more of him.
VanHelsing - 07.05.2011 at 10:34
Man I just stumbled upon this... and well, it's fucking bullshit lol. Terrible news.
Thor arise - 26.09.2011 at 13:14
NOOO!!! This is a great disaster!! He is the best on stage...when they came to my town two years ago....they ruled and especially...KHAN, a great disaster, no one can replace him.)=
l<3you2death4eva - 10.02.2012 at 10:02
Written by Radwolf on 22.04.2011 at 22:20

"Why, oh why, my god
Have you abandoned me..."

could not agree more, i was just watching love you to death on youtube, a live show and saw in one of the comments that he had left i thought it wasnt true until i looked here.........when i read it i literally cried for 15 minutes. my reaction was :O and D"""""""": . why roy why? such a talented and amazing singer and an amzing guy to fall to his knees while singing love you to death to cry it takes a true amazing man to do that, roy you are truely amazing, i wish you luck in the future man although kamelot will never be the same without you and so i shale now call it amelot.

Pages: 1 [2]

News Cryptopsy - Guitarist Leaves The Band 5.5 02.02.2009 by Darkside Momo
News Mortal Sin - Vocalist Leaves The Band 5.5 14.02.2012 by Truemetaljope
News Hammerfall - Guitarist Leaves The Band 5.5 02.04.2008 by Talvi
News Circle Of Dead Children - Co-Founding Guitarist Leaves The Band 5.5 26.03.2011 by Troy Killjoy
News Cruachan - Female Vocalist Leaves The Band 5.5 18.12.2008 by Ernis