In reality TV style, Dream Theater have put together a trio of videos documenting their search for their new drummer. The last video of the series shows the last applicants of the seven-man short-list auditioning and jamming with the band in their hope to be selected as the new American Idol. After narrowing the short-list down to two drummers and a long and hard deliberation, the band have chosen Mike Mangini as their new drummer.

The whole series can be found at these locations:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Mike Mangini's history includes drumming with Annihilator, Steve Vai and James LaBrie.

Source: youtube.com
Band profile: Dream Theater

Posted: 30.04.2011 by Baz Anderson

Comments

DrM - 30.04.2011 at 17:00
Well, it's official. We've got Mike Mangini on board as the latest addition to this great band.

They did a big thing of it on Youtube, showing off the auditions of the final seven spanning on three daily episodes of 20 minutes each. And the thing that occurred to me while watching is, well, they never really stopped hyping him over the other contenders. Like the decision was final from the get go (he was the first to audition) and the rest of the guys were just there for show.

I didn't really like the fact that on the last episode, after they called and welcomed him to the family, they edited some of his audition footage to appear as if he was playing excerpts from previous albums (where Portnoy was playing, obviously).

Regarding Mangini's works - I am mostly familiar with his time as a member of Annihilator, playing on Set the World on Fire (which I quite liked), All for You (which I didn't get a chance to hear, though I don't have very high expectation as by this time the band has really fallen apart), and on Metal (which I hated). I wasn't really impressed from what he did there, it was mostly generic stuff. But then again - those whole albums WERE generic stuff (though very good generic stuff ).

After watching these episodes I listened to some tracks from James LaBrie's Elements Of Persuasion (didn't bother revisiting the MullMuzzler projects, didn't really like those). I think that this is where Mangini truly shines and shows his gift.

I sincerely hope that he won't be just "another Mike" - a replacement for Portnoy. I really hope that he can bring something new and fresh to the table, and by the looks of things - he might just be that guy.
Milena - 30.04.2011 at 17:08
I don't like the whole 'Spirit Carries On' thing., But hey, if Mike Portnoy can be a drama queen, so can they.
The guy seems nice, and seems like a good drummer. But Portnoy's departure still leaves a bad taste in my mouth for some reason. Something just doesn't feel right there. Since I base my respect on bands not just on their music, but also on their behavior, I'm not quite sure if I can still see them all in the same way I did before this whole fiasko.
Vitriolic Hate - 30.04.2011 at 17:51
Mike for a Mike.
BloodTears - 30.04.2011 at 18:07
Written by Vitriolic Hate on 30.04.2011 at 17:51

Mike for a Mike.

I think they chose him just because his name was Mike, what do you think?
thanatos700 - 30.04.2011 at 18:25
Man there's only gonna be one drummer for dream theater and it's MIKE PORTNOY, that whole reality bullshit was really bloody stupid, and made me loose some kind of respect about these awesome band, they should only talk to mike and get back together and stop these fucking bullshit, it's really sad that mangini has to be like a mike altough he said he will not be like mike the band in some way demands him to.
nana.MD - 30.04.2011 at 18:40
Written by thanatos700 on 30.04.2011 at 18:25

Agreed. There's no one like MP...
I didn't like this whole "reality show" stuff either...guess we'll just have to wait for the new album
corrupt - 30.04.2011 at 19:04
Let's hope Nevermore don't do this shit, should they decide to continue.
nb - 30.04.2011 at 19:12
When I saw the teaser I thought, "hmmm this just looks like reality show crap", when I saw the 3 episodes I thought "well not entirely reality tv crap, it had some interesting content and it was nice to get an idea of how the auditions are and how the different drummers fit when playing with the band. "

Does anyone know who the older guy with long white hair in the studio was?

In any case, Mike Mangini seems to me like a great drummer and I am very much looking forward to new music from DT.
Maybe it will have a different sound, but that may also make it the more interesting.
Slyfang - 30.04.2011 at 19:24
Wow, good choice. Mike Mangini is extremely talented, but i haven't heard anything from him in recent years
Evil Chip - 30.04.2011 at 19:37
Mangini was the obvious choice IMO.
.Nemesis. - 30.04.2011 at 20:37
Who cares, neither of them are as good as Danny Carey.
Black Conundrum - 30.04.2011 at 21:14
After all that drama, I am glad that they have found a new drummer. As for the "reality show" stuff, I haven't watched it yet.
Daggon - 30.04.2011 at 21:23
Meh, I was totally expecting this since he have worked with James LaBrie before...
psykometal - 30.04.2011 at 21:23
Written by BloodTears on 30.04.2011 at 18:07

Written by Vitriolic Hate on 30.04.2011 at 17:51

Mike for a Mike.

I think they chose him just because his name was Mike, what do you think?

Not only did they change a Mike for a Mike but they changed a Mike with a 7 letter last name for a Mike with a 7 letter last name. Haha.
kurokamen - 30.04.2011 at 22:19
LMAO for the reallity stuff... Portnoy and the band have become some fanboy metal band, more than ever, that is XD
Lit. - 30.04.2011 at 23:22
I saw him with Steve Vai. He's lightning fast, seems to be a suitable replacement for MP.
Marcel Hubregtse - 01.05.2011 at 00:48
Written by Lit. on 30.04.2011 at 23:22

MP wrote a lot of DT's music so in that sense I doubt he will be a suitabel replacement. Drumming wise he is but that's it.
Et Ermit - 01.05.2011 at 03:03
Written by BloodTears on 30.04.2011 at 18:07

Written by Vitriolic Hate on 30.04.2011 at 17:51

Mike for a Mike.

I think they chose him just because his name was Mike, what do you think?

I think they choose him cuz he already played with James
Clintagram - 01.05.2011 at 03:47
It was interesting to watch their process, especially the "three parts" they broke it down into. I was kind of disappointed the way they portrayed Portnoy. It seems they made it sound like a) he was dead or b) he didn't try and reconcile and come back. I understand they were already on the hunt, but it's not like they had their new drummer yet. I feel like after 25 years (and being a founding member) they would have given him some slack (but I don't know the whole situation). Regardless, it was their decision as a band and I am interested to see what Mangini can do.

In other news, I'm looking forward to seeing what Portnoy can do with Mr. Russell Allen and the Morse brothers.
ryche76 - 01.05.2011 at 04:00
Lets just hope with the addition of Mike Mangini the music will improve because they haven't done much in the past 10 years, it all sounds the same, with the acception of "Train of Thought". Either Mike or Marco would be great inclusions as they are both outstanding drummers technically and suit Dream Theaters style of music. Here's hoping on a return to form in my opinion.
Paradox0 - 01.05.2011 at 05:19
Hopefully DT will find some new fire with him. I am in the least intrigued with DT's future at this point.
Introspekrieg - 01.05.2011 at 09:29
Virgil Donati was the best, but I don't think they want a songwriter/multi-instrumentalist like him stepping on their toes.
BloodTears - 01.05.2011 at 10:52
Written by Et Ermit on 01.05.2011 at 03:03

Written by BloodTears on 30.04.2011 at 18:07

Written by Vitriolic Hate on 30.04.2011 at 17:51

Mike for a Mike.

I think they chose him just because his name was Mike, what do you think?

I think they choose him cuz he already played with James

Playing aside, I think James had a big part in it because he knew him well before. There's the familiarity which is important and then he seemed to jell with the band.
Carloz - 01.05.2011 at 11:46
I thought Aquilles Priester would do better, but he wouldn't fit that well, lacking a bit in language etc... Donati is the most spectacular player of them all. Well, let's see what they come up with now.
Lachy - 01.05.2011 at 15:34
Portnoy is a fantastic drummer, but he was selfish when he wanted the whole band to stop for 5 years. I understand that everyone needs a break but if the rest of them want to go on thats fine. What is stupid is that after wanting a break he is part of more projects than he has ever been in. I personally like Mangini much more as a person and a drummer than Portnoy. As DT is my favorite band i must say that i am happy with the replacement of portnoy.
Apothecary - 01.05.2011 at 17:45
Written by corrupt on 30.04.2011 at 19:04

Let's hope Nevermore don't do this shit, should they decide to continue.

Preach it, brother.
Aetherius - 01.05.2011 at 18:04
Cant wait to see what sort of result this produces musically!
INÆRIS - 01.05.2011 at 18:47
Good. He's a nice guy. He truly wanted to be a part of this band, and he'll do a fantastic job because he puts so much life in his playing.
Hollberr - 01.05.2011 at 19:24
Making these videos give us the chance to know seven incredible drummers - some of them I had never heard of. Call it a reality show if you want, normally a reality show is boring. These videos were awesome.
I think Mangini is the right guy for DT!
Metal Machine - 01.05.2011 at 22:04
Glad he's in,

I could really feel the emotion coming from Mangini when he heard the news of being told that he was in the band.
Valentin B - 01.05.2011 at 23:47
Mike is a beast.
JPR - 02.05.2011 at 02:39
I would like some Marco Minnemann. Lets see what Mangini can do.
MetalSpider - 02.05.2011 at 07:26
Not a big Dream Theater fan, but I actually watched all 3 parts. It was interesting to watch. Some damn good drummers thats for sure.
DrunkenFuck - 02.05.2011 at 12:48
Written by Guest on 01.05.2011 at 15:34

He didn't want a break from playing, just a break from Dream Theater. And it wasn't 5 years, it was one year.
Lachy - 02.05.2011 at 13:52
Written by DrunkenFuck on 02.05.2011 at 12:48

Written by Guest on 01.05.2011 at 15:34

They said 5 years on episode 1. The point is he cant expect to hold the others up for his own thing.
JohnDoe - 02.05.2011 at 18:49
Written by Clintagram on 01.05.2011 at 03:47

Steve morse and Neil Morse are not brothers, but anyway I would like to listen to that album when it comes out too. Hope Portnoy would do a better job than he did on the last Transatlantic.
Clintagram - 02.05.2011 at 20:01
Written by JohnDoe on 02.05.2011 at 18:49

Written by Clintagram on 01.05.2011 at 03:47

Right, thanks for the correction. I must've been thinking of Alan and Spock's Beard. Regardless, I never heard the last Transatlantic, but I enjoyed the first two. Hopefully good things will come.
dark_mar - 03.05.2011 at 11:45
Good drummers dont think about to play in DT...they play much better music. I have loved DT but after 10 years this music is...boring. GOOD DRUMERS play with feel.
Carl Berg - 05.05.2011 at 00:40
Thanks for the spoiler dude
FrozenJoy - 20.05.2011 at 02:07
Ummm, personally, I didn't like the "reality style" thing at all... It totally annoys me, and I was expecting some kind of (at list a bit) serious attitude towards the drummer change... I haven't heard Mangini, so I can't bash or talk good about him, but I just hope he can replace Portnoy, which I think is one HELL of a drummer (probably one of my favourites ever)... And he wrote A LOT of DT's music over the years, so I'm kinda worried about this... Expecting not precisely good change of style...

I just don't know, this whole show thing makes me respect them less than before... They were always an incredible band for me
I still can't believe I was not into the band when they played here with Portnoy for the last time (Black Clouds Tour)... I would give anything right now to go back and go see them live
Angelic Storm - 20.05.2011 at 07:11
Mike Mangini is an awesome drummer, though as far as I know, he isn't a songwriter. So I think the loss of Mike Portnoy is still going to hurt the band. Can't fault Mike Mangini's drumming abilities though, in that regards, he is a great replacement. xD
ekatrock - 22.05.2011 at 07:57
likemike...no onecan be like mike \m/
ruiportista - 28.05.2011 at 03:38
Written by .Nemesis. on 30.04.2011 at 20:37

Who cares, neither of them are as good as Danny Carey.

GOD DAMN TRUE!