Nuclear Blast press release

Legendary Brazilian/American thrashers Sepultura have released the cover artwork for their upcoming album Kairos. Artwork was handled this time around by artist Eric Sayers.

"I started by researching Kairos for images and meaning as soon as the band gave me the title," stated Sayers. Kairos is about time, the actions we take, and the positive or negative repercussions that follow. I knew the image would have wings. I also knew I would somehow need to represent time, but in a way that is timeless. Speaking with Andreas, he had an idea for a gel skull. I was uncertain how I would make that happen, but I did and it is unique. Actions and their repercussions are represented by the arms, transitioning from the strong healthy arm on top and the decrepit hand below. The background is made from a couple of photos I took on a recent trip to Morocco. They give the composition a mystical quality. It was an honor for me to work with Sepultura. I am a long-time fan of this legendary band."

Guitarist Andreas Kisser added: "We were very lucky choosing the artist to design the cover of Kairos. His name's Erich Sayers and we met him backstage in a Sepultura concert in LA last January. He left us his card and when we checked his website, we got very impressed by his awesome work. I explained to him the concept of Kairos and he fastly captured what we wanted, sending us ideas in that same week. He's a very talented guy, who knew how to draw the concept of the album. The cover is different to all the other covers we did in the past but it's "old school" at the same time, like the album itself. We're very happy with the result".

Sepultura will release Kairos, their 12th studio album and Nuclear Blast Records debut, on June 24. Kairos was recorded once again at Trama Studios in São Paulo, Brazil and produced and mixed by Roy Z. (Judas Priest, Halford, Bruce Dickinson, Helloween). Mastering was handled by Maor Appelbaum!

Kairos tracklist:

01. Spectrum
02. Kairos
03. Relentless
04. (2011)
05. Just One Fix [Ministry cover]
06. Dialog
07. Mask
08. (1433)
09. Seethe
10. Born Strong
11. Embrace The Storm
12. (5772)
13. No One Will Stand
14. Structure Violence (Azzes)
15. (4648)
16. Firestarter [The Prodigy cover] [Deluxe Edition bonus]
17. Point Of No Return [Deluxe Edition bonus]
+ making of DVD [Deluxe Edition bonus]

[Also thanks to Amatsu Mikaboshi for the news!]

Source: nuclearblast.de
Band profile: Sepultura

Posted: 08.05.2011 by Vargsmal

Comments

K†ulu - 08.05.2011 at 16:59
What a weird tracklist. Besides, when the number of tracks exceeds 10 I am usually pessimistic about any album.
Mr. Doctor - 08.05.2011 at 17:01
The artwork sucks tbh. A-Lex was at least good with the artwork.

I'm curious about the ministry cover since I love the original.
JD - 08.05.2011 at 17:12
Am so not interested in this album.
RafaRata - 08.05.2011 at 17:26
A-lex was great I have high expectations.
Troy Killjoy - 08.05.2011 at 18:09
Written by K†ulu on 08.05.2011 at 16:59

You must not be a fan of grindcore.
Athropos - 08.05.2011 at 19:09
Don't want to sound retrograde, but like many I lost interest in Sepultura when Max left. I never found in their newer albums what I loved so much during the Max era...
Lit. - 08.05.2011 at 20:35
Interested in listening to the Ministry cover, but other than that...
K†ulu - 08.05.2011 at 20:47
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.05.2011 at 18:09

Written by K†ulu on 08.05.2011 at 16:59

You must not be a fan of grindcore.

Oh yeah, you are right. For grindcore a long tracklist would be ok with me . But indeed I am not a fan of grindcore.
LeChron James - 08.05.2011 at 23:06
This isn't Sepultura. This is the remains of Sepultura now that the Cavalera's are gone. I can't figure out why Paulo and Andreas are still there.
Void Eater - 08.05.2011 at 23:14
Sepultura broke up after Roots, and even that was a bad album. What we have here is a subpar Sepultura tribute band.
Mr. Doctor - 08.05.2011 at 23:17
Written by Void Eater on 08.05.2011 at 23:14

Meh, they released Dante XXI which is imo hte best stuff they have done since Arise. Sadly, that was the only great thing they did.

The "sepultura tribute" comment is sort of wrong since when Max Left they didn't try to go back and be a wannabe copy of themselves, they changed pretty much completely with the other guy.
Void Eater - 08.05.2011 at 23:27
^Yeah, suppose you're right about the tribute part, don't know what I was thinking. Still nothing worthwhile since Chaos A.D; maybe Roots, since some of the tribal percussion is interesting there. Dante is decent I suppose, but pales in comparison to their glory days.
Mr. Doctor - 08.05.2011 at 23:30
I understand, I'm not really a fan of Chaos AD except for a few songs. I do enjoy Dante a lot, I see it mostly like a hardcore album with metal touches than the other way around and the concept was well done (something they failed with A-Lex sadly).
Vitriolic Hate - 08.05.2011 at 23:33
The artwork seems pretty cool.
Troy Killjoy - 09.05.2011 at 02:21
Written by Vitriolic Hate on 08.05.2011 at 23:33

The artwork seems pretty cool.

Agreed, and if it's an indicator of a new sound then perhaps I'll check this out. I don't think I've liked a Sepultura release since...before I was born? That sounds right.
LoudBoy26 - 09.05.2011 at 04:35
Whatever you got here as a band- still might sound cool-track list twisted
The Voyager - 09.05.2011 at 04:41
Just stop.
Mr. Doctor - 09.05.2011 at 10:31
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.05.2011 at 02:21

Written by Vitriolic Hate on 08.05.2011 at 23:33

The artwork seems pretty cool.

What? You don't like any of the first 4 albums? Or I got it wrong and you meant that you don't like anything released on the date you were born and after that (that would mean everything after Arise)?
midland_don - 09.05.2011 at 10:59
Written by Void Eater on 08.05.2011 at 23:14

Have you seen them live recently? You are so, so wrong...

I really wish all these Seps critics would just push off and do something else other than whine about how good it was with Max, etc, etc.

BTW, have you heard the new CC album? It's boring as f**k...
Troy Killjoy - 09.05.2011 at 13:52
Written by Mr. Doctor on 09.05.2011 at 10:31

Ya, I don't like any of their releases before my date of birth (assuming Arise wasn't released later than June 11th).
!J.O.O.E.! - 09.05.2011 at 13:57
Skulls should be banned from all cover art from here on. That cover art is offensively atrocious, the throwing together of random iconography rendering everything about it totally meaningless. It shows about as much imagination as a retarded banana. Lazy people.
Mr. Doctor - 09.05.2011 at 16:32
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.05.2011 at 13:52

Written by Mr. Doctor on 09.05.2011 at 10:31

Yeah, Arise was released on april 2 acording to wiki anyway
Murder - 09.05.2011 at 21:27
Written by The Voyager on 09.05.2011 at 04:41

Just stop.

Amatsu Mikaboshi - 09.05.2011 at 22:07
Personally I can't stand this cliche' ridden cover. I'm getting more and more sick of digital/ graphical/ Photoshop-based artwork for covers. A-Lex had more distinctive, complex, interesting work. On a more optimistic side to anyone unoticed, the "golden age" era logo has returned.

I'm now finally sick over people claiming Sepultura as ether a tribute band or ether being dead or crap without the Cavaleras. The last good thing by Max was Dark Ages and since that 2 decent concept albums Sepultura have been on a roll, whilst the bullshit has to ensure them. I liked A-Lex alot by the way, lots of really good riffs. I hope this one dosen't taste, touch, look, sound and smell like a sizzling amount of wobbly, fly-ridden Albatross poo.

News Sepultura - New Album Details Revealed 9 08.08.2008 by Mr. Doctor
News Job For A Cowboy - New Album Details & Song Online 5.5 27.02.2012 by Boxcar Willy
News Daylight Dies - Reveal More Details About New Album 5.5 25.07.2012 by Draugen
News Chimaira - New Album Details 5.5 18.02.2009 by LeChron James
News Supreme Pain - New Album Details Unveiled 5.5 04.02.2009 by Black Conundrum