San Francisco Bay Area thrash metal veterans Testament have set The Dark Roots Of Earth as the title of their new album, tentatively due in October via Nuclear Blast Records.

The CD is currently being recorded with British producer Andy Sneap, who has previously worked with Megadeth, Exodus, Nevermore, among others.

Due to a "serious injury" being suffered by drummer Paul Bostaph, Testament have enlisted the services of Gene Hoglan (Fear Factory, ex-Strapping Young Lad) to handle the studio drumming for their new album. In addition to Hoglan, Lamb Of God drummer Chris Adler will appear on "a couple of bonus tracks."

Bostaph will rejoin Testament at a later date for touring duties. In the meantime, Sadus drummer Jon Allen sat behind the kit for Testament when the band performed in the place of In Flames at the first two shows of the Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival last weekend.

In other news, Testament vocalist Chuck Billy revealed more details regarding the band's upcoming North American trek, taking place later this year. Here's what he said to say on the upcoming tour in support of The Dark Roots Of Earth to California radio station 107.7 The Bone:

"We plan to tour. It's gonna be October/November. I think it's OK to say, it's gonna be [with] Anthrax, Death Angel and Overkill. So that'll be in America. That'll be probably a five- or six-week tour in America. It would be good to have [the new Testament] record out [to coincide] with that [tour]. But if [it doesn't come out in time], we'll have something out we'll be promoting with that tour."

Watch the full interview below.

Source: roadrunnerrecords.com
Band profile: Testament

Posted: 14.07.2011 by Thryce

Comments

Daniell - 14.07.2011 at 12:01
Seeing as their last great album was "The Legacy", I don't have high hopes
BudDa - 14.07.2011 at 14:19
New Testament? Bring it on!
DrunkenFuck - 14.07.2011 at 14:41
Written by Daniell on 14.07.2011 at 12:01

Seeing as their last great album was "The Legacy", I don't have high hopes

Lol at the crazy guy.
Daniell - 14.07.2011 at 15:16
The Legacy - great. New Order, The Gathering - very good. Demonic, Practice What You Preach - barely decent. Formation of Damnation - shamelessly calculated, stale rehash of old ideas. All the rest - not even worth mentioning.
Marcel Hubregtse - 14.07.2011 at 17:38
Written by Daniell on 14.07.2011 at 15:16

More or less agree. Although I would call New Order just good and The Gathering mediocre
bluegreengod - 14.07.2011 at 18:58
I wish the new one would sound more like The Ritual...although that's obviously not going to happen. I've loved that album since the day it came out.
BrightNight - 14.07.2011 at 22:20
The Gathering was very good, pure Thrash like only Testament can make. The Formation Of Damnation was more or less a sequel to that record. I hope they keep it going in this line! Cant wait till the next record.
imspazzen - 14.07.2011 at 22:49
I don't care about Testament but I'd love to see Overkill again.
Xim - 15.07.2011 at 00:40
That sounds like an awesome tour line-up. I really hope they come somewhere I can go see them!
nb - 15.07.2011 at 05:56
Written by Guest on 14.07.2011 at 18:58

I agree with you, The Ritual is an awesome album, the song composition is fantastic and the soloing is insane. I think this was a very mature record after the New order, Practice what you preach and Souls of Black (awesome the first two, not as awesome the last one), but of course it does not sound as these others do.
Hearing from Chuck that they all contributed to the writing sounds nice because Alex Skolnick is one of my favorite guitar players.
Kingface - 15.07.2011 at 13:39
Decent enough album title, really looking forward to this. I really liked the last two albums and they've got Andy Sneap producing, all signs point to a great album!
Daniell - 15.07.2011 at 14:24
All signs point to another calculated record without soul, but with huge sales potential.
Kincaid - 15.07.2011 at 16:22
Come to Montreal or i will kick you in the nuts!
Apothecary - 15.07.2011 at 16:32
Bands don't just burn out after their first couple albums, and there are plenty of the older thrash bands that are still kicking ass with modern releases (Megadeth, Testament, Exodus, Overkill, etc). This album may not be The Legacy, but it's not like it's gonna suck ass either, so all you people whining about how it is really need to cool your jets. Besides, you've got the Atomic Clock himself drumming, what more could you ask for? Bring it on, I say!
Marcel Hubregtse - 15.07.2011 at 17:26
Written by Apothecary on 15.07.2011 at 16:32

Something up to par with the first two albums.
Apothecary - 15.07.2011 at 17:56
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.07.2011 at 17:26

Written by Apothecary on 15.07.2011 at 16:32

Something up to par with the first two albums.

People need to realize that it's almost impossible to replicate EXACTLY the sound of a band's earlier, older work. For fuck's sake, take what you can get and stop bitching. It's not as if Testament sucks now anyway, like some other thrash bands I could name (*cough cough* Sepultura...)
Marcel Hubregtse - 15.07.2011 at 18:32
Written by Apothecary on 15.07.2011 at 17:56

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.07.2011 at 17:26

Written by Apothecary on 15.07.2011 at 16:32

Something up to par with the first two albums.

where did I say it has to have the same sound? Nowhere all I am asking for is for it to be of the same quality.
Testament are bland biteless soulless nowadays (just like Megadeth, Ovekill, Slayer etc etc)
Angelic Storm - 15.07.2011 at 19:10
Written by Guest on 14.07.2011 at 18:58

I know that neither Chuck, nor Eric wanted Testament to sound like they did on "The Ritual", so they definitely wont make another album like that. Although I personally love that album, and think it's very underrated!

Im definitely looking forward to the new album, they've never made a bad album yet! xD
Apothecary - 15.07.2011 at 19:14
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.07.2011 at 18:32

Written by Apothecary on 15.07.2011 at 17:56

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.07.2011 at 17:26

Written by Apothecary on 15.07.2011 at 16:32

Something up to par with the first two albums.

Lol ok man.
Marcel Hubregtse - 15.07.2011 at 19:19
Written by Angelic Storm on 15.07.2011 at 19:10

Have you actually listened to Souls In Black?
Angelic Storm - 15.07.2011 at 19:23
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.07.2011 at 19:19
Have you actually listened to Souls In Black?

"Demonic" is actually the Testament album I like least. hehe

The production on "Souls Of Black" is absolutely horrible, but I like a lot of the songs on it.
Iron Nostarion - 16.07.2011 at 21:23
Awesome - not a bad album title IMO. Somehow, Testament's musical style roughly changes with how the album title is phrased. So I reckon this will be similar to the Formation of Damnation. Mmm, that wasn't a bad album. Especially "More than Meets The Eye". Although a clever track, I keep thinking that it steals some of its melody from "I Am Murloc" and "Power of the Horde". Whenever Chuck starts the first verse, I keep thinking: "I'm the son of the wind and rain, thunder beckons and I heed the call!".
Vikcen - 17.07.2011 at 21:01
Written by BrightNight on 14.07.2011 at 22:20

Just my thoughts, i want the same quality of these records for the album of this year. Vamos TESTAMENT!! do it again
Storm Rider - 21.09.2011 at 07:36
Hope this new album will blast to ear & go get it T E S T A M E N T
Storm Rider - 21.09.2011 at 07:38
Go get it like this concert Testament - into the Pit ( live wacken )

Storm Rider - 21.09.2011 at 07:56
T E S T A M E N T - D.N.R. [Full HD 1080p / Live]

News Iron Maiden - Reveal New Album Title, N. American Tour With Dream Theater 8.5 04.03.2010 by Stalker
News Pagan's Mind - Reveal New Album Title, New Song Online 7 03.03.2011 by Ag Fox
News Seven Kingdoms - Reveal New Album Title And Artwork 7 16.08.2012 by PocketMetal
News Primordial - Reveal New Album Title 7 01.01.2011 by Lokomotiv
News Grave - Working On New Album, Reveal Working Title 7 01.12.2011 by Troy Killjoy