It's official, folks! After 18 long years of incarceration, The West Memphis 3 have finally been freed.

For those of you unfamiliar with The West Memphis 3, they are a group of men who were tried and convicted as teenagers on May 5, 1993 for the murder of 3 young boys. Damien Echols was sentenced to death, while his friends Jason Baldwin and Jessie Misskelley, Jr. were sentenced to life in prison.

The case against them was largely built upon compromised evidence, shoddy detective work, coerced confessions and blatant prejudice. The murders were suspected to be a part of an occult ritual, a theory built entirely on the teenagers wardrobe choice - dark clothing which included heavy metal t-shirts.

The fight for The West Memphis 3's innocence is something that has attracted global attention from not only the general public, but celebrities like Johnny Depp, Steve Earle and Henry Rollins. Aside from the 3 HBO documentaries covering the case, it has also spurred countless punk & metal acts to put out recordings in support of the WM3 (the most famous of these being the Black Flag compilation Rise Above).

An official statement found on their official website:

"This morning, in a courtoom in Jonesboro, Arkansas, all parties involved in the ongoing legal cases of the West Memphis Three have agreed to a plea agreement, which has resulted in the immediate release of all three men.

We will post more details here as we compile them. For more immediate information, please visit the splash page on WM3.org, for a running list of articles posted by various major news outlets pertaining to this ground-breaking event.

We would like to sincerely thank everyone who has supported the West Memphis Three over these past 18 years!

More to follow, very soon."

If you wish to learn more about the case of The West Memphis Three, visit their official website for all the details. Or, visit the wikipedia page for the TL;DR version.

On behalf of Metal Storm, we'd like to wish Damien, Jessie, and Jason a congratulations on their reclaimed freedom.

Source: wm3.org

Posted: 20.08.2011 by Doc Godin

Comments

bluegreengod - 20.08.2011 at 07:37
...great news! Can't wait for Westmemphisthree's new album coming out next month. I hope they go back to their original sound, more like their first four releases. The last one was a little too 'proggy' for my tastes. Hopefully they'll launch a North American tour after all the euro festival obligations are fulfilled this summer.
Introspekrieg - 20.08.2011 at 07:55
Great new release!

I guess that's why, no matter how long you are interrogated, never confess to a crime you didn't commit. Makes sense right?
BitterCOld - 20.08.2011 at 08:30
Glad they are (finally) free... and while hank and depp and others lead public support, it was apparently peter (LOTR) jackson and his wife that pushed (and paid for) a shit ton of behind the scenes work to get them freed.
Valentin B - 20.08.2011 at 08:55
So if i understood correctly, the defining factor in declaring these guys guilty was being social outcasts in an otherwise redneck-filled Arkansas shithole?
Doc Godin - 20.08.2011 at 08:57
Written by Valentin B on 20.08.2011 at 08:55

So if i understood correctly, these guys have been convicted solely on the grounds of being social outcasts in an otherwise redneck-filled Arkansas shithole?

Obviously prosecution attorneys can make it more elaborate than that...But essentially, yes.
LeChron James - 20.08.2011 at 09:18
REFUSE TO LOSE! WEST MEMPHIS THREE FOR THE WIN!
BloodTears - 20.08.2011 at 10:21
I saw this earlier somewhere. I think I vaguely remember them. Still, it's amazing what can happen to you.
Dark Blood - 20.08.2011 at 15:43
Good news. They are a good example of how flaw the system is, and how persistent we can be to get to the truth.

Good luck to them.
@gent_-_orange - 20.08.2011 at 19:51
Thank fuck for that... Poor guys wont be able to get those years back but I wish them a peaceful life.... Its good to see them free, I hope they are Compensated for this.
Darkside Momo - 20.08.2011 at 20:58
I didn't knew the story beforehand, but I'm glad they're free. A great day for justice!
Cynic Metalhead - 20.08.2011 at 23:33
Written by Guest on 20.08.2011 at 07:37

Where can I get to listen their stuff??? ( Reply with the link) Thanks
TrollandDie - 21.08.2011 at 02:11
Still doesn't pay up for their near two decades of incarceration. The fact they had to pleed guilty so they wouldn't receive compensation by the state makes me mad as fuck.

Their best years have been behind bars and nobody is going to take the blame. Fuck that shit. Fuck those Bible-bashing retards and their stupid paranoid, ignorant claims of satanism.
Dark Blood - 21.08.2011 at 05:33
Written by TrollandDie on 21.08.2011 at 02:11

I totally agree with you.
It's too late for justice now. The damage is done and those 18 years won't come back for them.

It's so stupid and revolting to see innocent people spend this much time in solitary confinement without any proof that they were guilty of any crime. If being different and being bashed with unfair rumours is a crime, they are certainly guilty. But not guilty of killing little kids.

EDIT:

If there's a crime in all this, is the crime of wasting young innocent people's lives and the ones responsible for that are the ones that should be pleed guilty and face the consequences. Of course that's never gonna happen, but I think someone must take responsibility for this kind of sad cases.
Captain Obvious - 21.08.2011 at 09:24
And the outside world wonders why we as a subculture are so hateful, it's because of disrespectful stereotypes and judicial fuck-jobs like this. Why the fuck should we as metalheads have any love for a world that has no love for us?
BloodTears - 21.08.2011 at 11:10
I actually watched the first HBO documentary about it yesterday.

And so no-one found out who the real killers were? Because that to me is what worries me the most. We all know the systems fails.
Dark Blood - 21.08.2011 at 16:08
Written by BloodTears on 21.08.2011 at 11:10

I actually watched the first HBO documentary about it yesterday.

Yeah I noticed that as well. The story behind all this is focused solely on whether the WM3 are guilty or not, instead of finding out who the real killers are. At least that's whats the media is transmitting to the public. System fails indeed...
BloodTears - 21.08.2011 at 18:04
Written by Dark Blood on 21.08.2011 at 16:08

Written by BloodTears on 21.08.2011 at 11:10

I actually watched the first HBO documentary about it yesterday.

I'm gonna watch the second documentary tonight. Apparently the other one, the third, will be released in 2012.

Anyway, I'm stunned people don't care about the fact that there's a sicko on the loose, which people have ignored. The whole thing is creepy, but the fact that the person who did this walks freely is even creepier.
Troy Killjoy - 21.08.2011 at 23:48
bluegreengod - 22.08.2011 at 07:23
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 20.08.2011 at 23:33

Written by Guest on 20.08.2011 at 07:37

Where can I get to listen their stuff??? ( Reply with the link) Thanks

Umm...that was actually a sarcastic reaction to a story that I found had quite little relevance to metal news. Sorry for the confusion.
Doc Godin - 22.08.2011 at 19:28
Written by Guest on 22.08.2011 at 07:23

Apologies, from now on we'll try and keep the news section 100% only about new album updates and tour announcements. World news that doesn't strictly involve specific metal bands but is just relevant to the interests of metalfans has no place on a metal website.
Troy Killjoy - 22.08.2011 at 19:35
Written by Doc Godin on 22.08.2011 at 19:28

It's about damn time, I say! I'm tired of all this bullshit nonsense you think qualifies as "news". Jack Layton died today. Wanna post that too?

xoxo
Doc Godin - 22.08.2011 at 19:41
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.08.2011 at 19:35

Written by Doc Godin on 22.08.2011 at 19:28

xoxo

Certainly. Canada's only remotely qualified potential leader who wasn't cantankerous & senile or just flat out evil.

To rephrase that to make it MS news worthy; The only party leader Metal enough to lead Canada.
Troy Killjoy - 22.08.2011 at 19:44
That might just be crazy enough to work! *evil laugh*
bluegreengod - 22.08.2011 at 20:55
Written by Doc Godin on 22.08.2011 at 19:28

Written by Guest on 22.08.2011 at 07:23

lol might as well post anything interesting that comes along. I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets just about all their world news from this damn site.
Doc Godin - 25.08.2011 at 07:10
Quote:

lol might as well post anything interesting that comes along.

The point was metal fans can directly relate to this as metal fans, not as people who happen to be metal fans. Persecution based on image choice is something a lot of us here can relate to. The fact that the WM3 were metal fans who were sent to prison based almost solely on that fact makes this a news piece of direct interest to metal fans. Do I actually need to break things down further?
Spirit Molecule - 25.08.2011 at 08:29
Never really followed this, but its great that they are finally free. It's really sad to see innocent people lose their lifes to a flawed justice system while the guilty walk free.
Can't even imagine what they went through those 18 years in prison, its something that can't be changed. Considering they took the deal where they can't really sue any of the prosecutors or police officers involved in the case sucks as well. But atleast they are free.
Daggon - 27.08.2011 at 09:01
Holy shit, just imagine to lose 18 years of your life in prison for no reason at all, that's terrible...

News Byzantine - Disband After Eight Years 4.5 28.01.2008 by b0000mst1ck
News Phlebotomized - Band Returns After 16 Years 4 14.04.2013 by psykometal
News Deranged - Disband After 17 Years 4 31.03.2008 by Promonex
News Ancient - To Record New Album After Almost 10 Years 4 24.12.2013 by M C Vice
News In The Woods... - Are Back After 14 Years, New Vocalist 4 23.09.2014 by !J.O.O.E.!