Paradise Lost guitarist and songwriter Gregor Mackintosh has formed a new band called Vallenfyre, along with members of My Dying Bride, At The Gates and Doom. The band's debut album A Fragile King will be released on October 31st, 2011, in Europe and on November 1st, 2011, in North America through Century Media Records. Vallenfyre is not a one-off project and will continue as a band that will also play live in 2012.

The death metal band signed a worldwide deal with Century Media Records and has released the Desecration / Iconoclast 7" on Imperium Productions and you can listen to samples of both songs on the band's official website and order one of the last few copies of the 7", which is limited to 500 copies.

The sound of Vallenfyre goes back to Greg's youth: "I was first introduced to more extreme music by my older brother in 1981. Over the next few years in my early teens I grew to love various early hardcore punk bands like Discharge, English Dogs, Conflict, etc. Around a similar time I was becoming aware of other more metal music like Motörhead and Black Sabbath. In '84/85' I got into bands who were fusing these styles like Hellhammer, Antisect and Amebix. A couple of years later I started tape trading with people all around the world which enabled me to hear lots of really cool, interesting, extreme music. Autopsy, Napalm Death, Morbid Angel, Repulsion, Nihilist are some of the more well known names I started to get into but there were many many more which never gained the same notoriety. At the same time I formed Paradise Lost with my friends. Our early stuff was a bit of a mixture of all this stuff but we also had a lot of doom influence from the likes of Candlemass, Trouble and Saint Vitus."

The events that led to the conception and formation of Vallenfyre are not particularly happy or pretty ones: "In the late summer of 2009, my father John Mackintosh was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Later in the Autumn as his treatment progressed, Paradise Lost embarked on the their European tour to support the latest album Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us. A week into this, I received a call from my mother telling me that the doctors had found cancer in his lungs and it was terminal. He only had weeks to live. I made the decision to leave the tour leaving my very able guitar tech Milly (not be confused with Vallenfyre's Mully) to take my place. I went and stayed with my parents for the next few weeks. After a very sad and painful time he passed away on the 2nd December early in the morning. Over the next few weeks I experienced all the famous stages of grief. It started to become very self destructive so I decided to channel it into creating something. To pay respects to the man that drove us to our very first gigs because none of us could drive. The only Dad I knew that listened to Bolt Thrower's Peel Sessions on the radio. The guy who gave me my first chord book. I decided that I was going to go right back to the beginning. To my roots in Death, Crust and Doom. It all started very Angst ridden. This wasn't originally meant for anyone else to hear. It was a release. After recording some material I realized that I was actually enjoying doing this but I wanted friends involved so it could actually become real fun."

The 7" tracks and the upcoming album were recorded between December 2010 and April 2011.

Greg comments: "The album is called A Fragile King, which is a reference to my fathers' battle with cancer. The lyrics are predominantly about the same thing but also include gripes with society, religion, politics and relationships as well. It's all pretty grim."

Vallenfyre's full line-up is:
Gregor Mackintosh (Paradise Lost) - Vocals and Lead Guitar
Hamish Glencross (My Dying Bride) - Rhythm and Lead Guitars
Mully - Rhythm Guitars
Scoot (Doom, Extinction Of Mankind) - Bass
Adrian Erlandsson (At The Gates, Paradise Lost) - Drums

Source: paradiselost.co.uk
Band profile: Paradise Lost

Posted: 25.09.2011 by ravendeath

Comments

Deadmeat - 25.09.2011 at 14:53
It's out since a month i think. great news. the song sounds very good!
Angelic Storm - 25.09.2011 at 15:03
Gregor Mackintosh going "back to the roots" eh? Sounds very promising! Just a shame he had to go through such hard times to want to go back to that place musically...

Looking forward to hearing this! xD
psykometal - 25.09.2011 at 16:43
Sounds pretty good. I never could get into Paradise Lost due to their sloth but I still respected their musicianship. Can't wait for this to drop. Interesting to see some old school DM fellas going the 3 guitarist route but if it works it works. And I'm so happy that Adrian's snare is not that some god awful sounding trashcan lid that he used with Cradle of Filth.
Angelic Storm - 25.09.2011 at 16:57
Written by psykometal on 25.09.2011 at 16:43

Is that the same trashcan lid that Lars used on St. Anger?
psykometal - 25.09.2011 at 17:43
Written by Angelic Storm on 25.09.2011 at 16:57

Written by psykometal on 25.09.2011 at 16:43

Is that the same trashcan lid that Lars used on St. Anger?

Lmao. Maybe?
Ag Fox - 25.09.2011 at 17:56
The song that's available for streaming on their site is pretty good
ravendeath - 25.09.2011 at 19:52
I couldn't believe that Greg is still into this kind of stuff and that he actually sings this way. I'm quite amazed by this stuff. Let's hope that the album will be as good like this song available for streaming...
Mr. Doctor - 25.09.2011 at 21:18
WOah, cool song... I'm really interested in this.
Amatsu Mikaboshi - 25.09.2011 at 22:24
Very much interested in this!
Iron Nostarion - 25.09.2011 at 22:30
Not much of a fan of Paradise Lost, but this sounds very very interesting. I expected something very far off like in 2012, but apparently this album is coming soon enough, so.. we'll see very soon.
Black Conundrum - 26.09.2011 at 06:29
This is something I'll be interested in. Paradise Lost is a band I have high respect for, and this is a band that I'll certainly want to check out. By the way, it is very unfortunate about what happened to Gregor's dad.
Nefarious - 26.09.2011 at 16:02
I must say i'm a big fan of what i've heard so far! OK its not the most original but tbh original doesn't automatically mean good. This is revivalist 90's OSDM but damn it sounds awesome. Can't wait to hear the whole album.
Richard - 27.09.2011 at 03:46
Written by ravendeath on 25.09.2011 at 19:52

My thoughts too. As a long time Paradise Lost fan, this was really surprising news - when I first saw 'Gregor Mackintosh launches a new band' I assumed it would probably be a gothic kind of style or something! I like the old-school feel of the song on their website, and the variation between doomy bits, D-beat bits, catchy midtempo stuff etc. Old school Death Metal, from fellows who were there the first time around - real back to their roots stuff. I wonder what the other guys in Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride think about it..
ravendeath - 27.09.2011 at 17:56
Written by Richard on 27.09.2011 at 03:46

Written by ravendeath on 25.09.2011 at 19:52

Hm,... I do believe that (at least guys from PL) other members support Greg and co. in what they are doing... As I know Nick Holmes is also some kind of fan of old school death doom bands. It's cool that Greg decided to express his anger and sadness this way.

News Paradise Lost - Reveal New Album Title 8 19.06.2009 by Deadmeat
News Paradise Lost - Premiere New Video 7.5 19.09.2012 by Sangre Sani
News Paradise Lost - Guitarist To Sit Out Tour, Select Dates Cancelled 7.5 14.11.2009 by Black Conundrum
News Paradise Lost - Entire New Album Streaming Online 7.5 25.04.2012 by WorpeX
News Paradise Lost - Offer Valentine's Gift, New Song Available For Download 7.5 14.02.2012 by