Metallica's bassist Robert Trujillo revealed in a recent interview (you can read it at this location) that the band is already writing material for a new album and that the recording process will probably be done throughout next year.

He said: "We've been busy writing and recording. We've got a couple of new songs we have been working on the past couple of weeks. The writing process for the new Metallica album has begun. We've been in the studio with Rick Rubin, working on a couple of things, and we're going to be recording during the most of next year. We've got a lot of work ahead of us. But the great thing is that we have sort of already jumped off the launch pad and we're swimming. It's happening. It's reality. It's a lot of fun, there are a lot of ideas, and we're really excited about the new record. For me, personally, Death Magnetic was the launch pad for the next record. This is the beginning of something very, very cool."

In other news, Metallica's performance at the Indian Formula 1 motor racing Grand Prix show on October 28th in Gurgaon (a suburb of Delhi) was cancelled due to an "unruly" section of the crowd climbing over safety barriers and damaging the stage set.

The band made the following statement: "We arrived in Delhi on Friday very excited and ready to play our first show ever in India at the F1 Rocks concert. However, immediately at the end of our afternoon press conference at a hotel near the venue, we were notified that there was a serious question as to whether the show could proceed with regard to the safety of the concert audience. And our first and foremost concern is always for the safety of you, the fans."

[Also thanks to warensemble for sending in this news!]

Source: metalunderground.com
Band profile: Metallica

Posted: 01.11.2011 by Cynic Metalhead

Comments

Warman - 01.11.2011 at 11:19
Great, I'm in the need for a "real" new Metallica album.
Angelic Storm - 01.11.2011 at 11:38
Hopefully this can build on "Death Magnetic", which was good, but still a way off their classic 80's material. Then I can just pretend that "Lulu" was just a bad dream...
BudDa - 01.11.2011 at 11:45
I don't think I care anymore...
JD - 01.11.2011 at 12:07
I think everything would be "good" after their Lulu.
R'Vannith - 01.11.2011 at 12:22
"And our first and foremost concern is always for the safety of you, the fans"

Hmmm.. they must have had a severe lapse of conscience while recording Lulu.
Yavanna - 01.11.2011 at 12:28
Written by R'Vannith on 01.11.2011 at 12:22

"And our first and foremost concern is always for the safety of you, the fans"

Hmmm.. they must have had a severe lapse of conscience while recording Lulu.

they didn't considered people could wish to suicide while listening to Lulu
Huntteri - 01.11.2011 at 12:42
C'mon people, Lulu isn't a real Metallica album, the band itself has said it so get over it.
Marcel Hubregtse - 01.11.2011 at 12:44
Written by Huntteri on 01.11.2011 at 12:42

Of course the band would say so after all the shit people have said about it
Huntteri - 01.11.2011 at 12:51
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.11.2011 at 12:44

Written by Huntteri on 01.11.2011 at 12:42

Of course the band would say so after all the shit people have said about it

couldn't agree more
Întunecatul - 01.11.2011 at 12:57
Uhm, this better be over DM so we can forget they had something to do with pupu(lulu)
Angelic Storm - 01.11.2011 at 13:25
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.11.2011 at 12:44
Of course the band would say so after all the shit people have said about it

Actually, Kirk Hammett stated in an interview months before the album's release that it wasn't a "100% Metallica record". lol
DrunkenFuck - 01.11.2011 at 13:27
Written by Huntteri on 01.11.2011 at 12:42

I don't care who made it, it still sucks huge amounts of camel balls. People like you are like "well because they said it wasn't a true Metallica record, it doesn't suck". If an album suck, it sucks.
Marcel Hubregtse - 01.11.2011 at 13:30
Written by Angelic Storm on 01.11.2011 at 13:25

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.11.2011 at 12:44
Of course the band would say so after all the shit people have said about it

of course it's not a 100% Metallica record, but the way both the band loads of people are going on about it it's as if Metallica only played some music for it and nothing to do with the creative process at all.
Angelic Storm - 01.11.2011 at 13:40
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.11.2011 at 13:30

I have criticsed Metallica for being involved in the project, both creatively and as musicians. I can't speak for anyone else, but my view (no pun intended!) that the album isn't a proper Metallica album doesn't exempt them from criticsm of being part of it's creative process. I merely don't treat the album as a proper Metallica album, because it isn't one. The next album is the follow up to "Death Magnetic", not "Lulu". Besides, some people have been criticising it, as if it was the bona fide follow up to "Death Magnetic", which is also a misguided view.
Kenos - 01.11.2011 at 13:51
Ahh, goddammit, people keep repeating that "Lulu" is not a Metallica album and blablabla, but seriously, who cares? Would've been the same pile of horseshit if there weren't two fuckin big names stuck on its stupid cover, with the only difference that no one would've given a fuck about it without all the hype. Music is music, regardless of whether who writes/plays it is Donald Duck or Teletubbies.
R'Vannith - 01.11.2011 at 13:57
Regardless of to what extent Metallica were involved in that 'album', it remains a fact that it is now an inseparable blotch on their already tarnished career.
What I will never understand is why they keep on applying salt to the wound.
Lit. - 01.11.2011 at 13:59
The least they could do is at least fill us in on what its going to sound like.
Iron Nostarion - 01.11.2011 at 14:45
What a shame, this was the band that wouldn't play on MTV and fucked up everything mainstream and still sold records, now selling themselves to make fucked up rhymes with a man of a garbageous voice and even disappointing people who had faith in their return to something SIMILAR TO THEIR ORIGINAL STYLE after they've been fucked up with disappointments. The Bay Area is fucking ashamed now. Thrash should be. But as with them, I will revert to not caring at all.

I don't fucking care about the next album. Too much disappointments from the band on its own, from the Big 4 and from any big band in general this year. I'm fucking depressed about anything a "big band" makes. We've got Big 4 shit all 'round this year, Morbid Angel shit, Amon Amarth shit, Children of Bodom shit, etc.
Unhealer - 01.11.2011 at 14:54
I have high hopes for this one. DM was pretty awesome and they may come up with some fresh stuff after Lulu.

Let's see...
Scuzzy McDouche - 01.11.2011 at 14:59
I have high hopes for this new album too. Metallica really needs to come forth and kick some serious ass to make up for the massive piece of shit that was LULU.
Hugoj33 - 01.11.2011 at 15:08
New material? Nooooooooooo... shit again
Roro - 01.11.2011 at 16:55
Written by Guest on 01.11.2011 at 13:51

but i like tetetubbies
Angelic Storm - 01.11.2011 at 17:06
Written by Roro on 01.11.2011 at 16:55
but i like tetetubbies

THAT's where Metallica and Lou Reed went wrong... they should have called the album "Lala" and made a concept album about the Teletubbies instead... Then everyone would be hailing it as total greatness!
Amatsu Mikaboshi - 01.11.2011 at 17:06
I haven't listened to Lulu yet, but the feeling I'm getting is something to over this news is that there recovering from a "Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas esque-trip" that was Lulu.

Still like with the last time I bothered to talk in a Metallica news article, no expectations, no anticipation. Only the wish that it's at least slightly higher then the quality in Death Magnetic.
Kenos - 01.11.2011 at 17:06
Written by Roro on 01.11.2011 at 16:55

Written by Guest on 01.11.2011 at 13:51

but i like tetetubbies

Me too. Especially when they get high: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_Hrgyees50
Bad English - 01.11.2011 at 20:38
Rob Rock, Rick Rubin .... funny names
Troy Killjoy - 01.11.2011 at 20:59
Just give it up already, yeesh.
SlaytanicGonzo - 02.11.2011 at 02:19
Death Magnetic was definetly a step on the right direction, really looking forward to it.
Cocaine - 02.11.2011 at 03:22
Written by BudDa on 01.11.2011 at 11:45

I don't think I care anymore...

Yeah. Honestly, neither do I...
mikeprado30 - 02.11.2011 at 07:41
Let's see, I hope it will be better than Death Magnetic, and also it will wash their reputation after that abomination called "LuLu"...
Huntteri - 02.11.2011 at 10:02
Written by DrunkenFuck on 01.11.2011 at 13:27

Written by Huntteri on 01.11.2011 at 12:42

My good friend, you have hurted my feelings. I have never said that this album doesn't suck. It sucks and this album is one of the biggest turds in the history of music. I'm only saying that people shouldn't approach this album as if it's the successor to Death Magnetic,what it isn't. Most of the material was made by Lou Reed and Metallica just put their own spice on this steaming pile of shit. So apologize.
Troy Killjoy - 02.11.2011 at 10:04
Written by Huntteri on 02.11.2011 at 10:02
So apologize.

Pff, it doesn't matter what it's following up or what it's preceding, it's one of the worst-ever releases in music history. Regardless of Metallica, regardless of Lou Reed, regardless of their collaborative histories and potential future success - all that matters is Lulu is complete and utter garbage.
Huntteri - 02.11.2011 at 11:10
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.11.2011 at 10:04

Written by Huntteri on 02.11.2011 at 10:02
So apologize.

And I fully agree,so let's just stfu
DrunkenFuck - 02.11.2011 at 14:17
Commencing stfu.
.... Shutting the fuck up...
Stfu complete.
RavenKing - 03.11.2011 at 00:13
Written by Iron Nostarion on 01.11.2011 at 14:45

Perhaps it would be time for you to stop caring for big names and start listening to less known bands.
Imo, when it comes to metal, the best stuff almost always comes from less known bands and not from big names.

Anyway, the situation you describe will only get worse because bands with big names are aging.
Iron Nostarion - 03.11.2011 at 16:23
Written by RavenKing on 03.11.2011 at 00:13

Written by Iron Nostarion on 01.11.2011 at 14:45

I know. Thus I'm following this advice you're giving me, needless to hear it. It's just that I can't buy much stuff (I live in the middle of nowhere) and can't find download sites that offer more underground stuff. :/
afu - 03.11.2011 at 22:50
HEY!!! I have an opinion!!!
alexunnplugged - 04.11.2011 at 08:09
All the things i´ve read about how shitty and disappointed you feel about metallica makes me feel sorry for the narrow minds, you sound like a bitter old hag left on the altar 20 years ago, music evolves, ideas change so as people, and money talks you cant expect to something remain the same. so bottom line if you dont care or dont like metallica fuk off and go cry somewhere else as simple as that you dont know shit about respect for not a great name but for all the work that is behind it, i accept people who dont like stuff but haters just push my nerves. if you claim that you have great taste for music then prove it with intelligent thoughts not that nonsense bullshit

great hopes for the next album
Doc Godin - 04.11.2011 at 09:43
Written by alexunnplugged on 04.11.2011 at 08:09

great hopes for the next album

I don't think people are bitching about the band not writing the same stuff they were writing 25 years ago, I think people are merely commenting on the quality of the content, rather than what the content actually is. They don't write good music anymore. They used to. Plain and simple. Get over the fact that most people with taste can actually recognize what this band can sound like at their full potential.

I don't understand people bitching and complaining at this point because they haven't really done anything good in like 23-24 years. Maybe aside from Garage Inc...Gotta admit I liked that one.

Back to the news; Didn't Rick Rubin kind of fuck up production do absolutely nothing on the last album? I'm kind of confused as to why they're bringing him in again, as I think they even commented on his total lack of work on the album. You'd think with the type of pay Mr.Rubin probably requires they wouldn't risk him doing sweet fuck all again.
Angelic Storm - 04.11.2011 at 09:58
Written by Doc Godin on 04.11.2011 at 09:43

Yep, he did. I have to say, I was shocked when I saw that he'd be producing the next album. Apparently he spent very little time in the studio for the recording of the last album, and when he was there, he hardly did anything. Although Greg Fidelman took most of the blame for how "Death Magnetic" sounded, as producer, Rick Rubin has to carry the can for it as well. I liked the last album, but the production on it was awful. I'm definitely unhappy they've decided to go for Rick Rubin again, after the production was a total mess the last time around. Im sure I recall hearing that Rick isn't much interested in producing metal anymore, which if true, would explain why he was hardly involved in the last album's production... still, at least it isn't Bob Rock I guess... lol

As for the above conversation, I will listen to the next album with totally unbiased ears, and "Lulu" isn't going to affect how I view it one iota. It'll be judged 100% on it's own merits.
Valentin B - 04.11.2011 at 10:11
I'll be honest here: DM was a pleasant surprise to me, I hope Lulu was just a momentary episode of musical explosive diarrhea, and that the next album would be inspired by their thrash-influenced albums. Pretty much anything (including St. Anger part two) would be better than Lulu.
Troy Killjoy - 04.11.2011 at 10:15
Written by alexunnplugged on 04.11.2011 at 08:09

Ya but have you heard St. Anger. Or Lulu for that matter. Or Load. Or Reload.
Angelic Storm - 04.11.2011 at 10:35
Written by Valentin B on 04.11.2011 at 10:11

I guess that's the thing... most people will let "Lulu" influence how they see the next album, and anything aside from a "Lulu Pt.2" will be seen as amazing compared to it. I'll be judging the album totally on it's own merits though... which is probably also why I never "disown" bands like some people do.
Cuca Beludo - 08.11.2011 at 19:36
Metallica should just release some "Greatest Hits" and disband, because things can't be worst than Lulu, the worst metal album ever!
Daniell - 09.11.2011 at 23:22
Written by Bad English on 01.11.2011 at 20:38

Rob Rock, Rick Rubin .... funny names

Obviously, Rudolf the Red-nosed Reindeer must be next.
BoxCar Willy - 29.12.2011 at 22:49
What's next? A nu metal album?
Void Eater - 29.12.2011 at 23:07
Written by BoxCar Willy on 29.12.2011 at 22:49

What's next? A nu metal album?

Already happened.
BoxCar Willy - 29.12.2011 at 23:15
Written by Void Eater on 29.12.2011 at 23:07

Written by BoxCar Willy on 29.12.2011 at 22:49

What's next? A nu metal album?

Already happened.

Hence my statement.

News Metallica - Release New DVD Trailer, Persian Tribute Album Available For Download 9 29.11.2012 by metal2000
News Metallica - Mini-Site Online For Streaming New Material 9 19.04.2008 by Jonnz of Steel
News Metallica - Entire New Album Available For Guitar Hero 9 19.07.2008 by Harlequin
News Killswitch Engage - Writing Material For New Album 8.5 29.08.2011 by !J.O.O.E.!
News Cattle Decapitation - Writing Material For New Album 8.5 21.12.2013 by sentinel65