Statement from the Power Quest official Website:

"We are pleased to finally reveal the identity of the new Power Quest frontman! Please welcome Colin Callanan to the Power Quest family! Colin, 31, is from Galway, Ireland and will make his live debut with the band in Wakefield on November 27th. The show will be streamed "live" on the internet as well! Previously Colin has been heard fronting his own projects "Dark Crystal" and "Karuna".

Steve Williams commented:

"We are thrilled to welcome Colin into the band. He impressed each and every one of us at his audition a couple of months back and he really understands what Power Quest is all about. His voice and personality are exactly what we have been looking for. Welcome aboard brother!"

Colin added:

"I'm really happy to be joining Power Quest! I've been following the band since their very first demo release on mp3.com and have already been singing Power Quest songs for many years to help me keep my vocal skills up to scratch. I've always thought it would be great to get the opportunity to sing with an internationally acclaimed outfit such as Power Quest, and was really glad when I got the invite from Steve to come over and jam with the band to see how the chemistry is. Well it was really cool hanging out with the Power Quest family over those days and I tried to give them a good blast of my voice in the rehearsal room so they could see if my technique and style was what Power Quest are after. We both agree it's a good match, and I'm really enthusiastic about being the new voice of Power Quest and offering as much as I can to the band on the old songs, as well as working with the guys to write new material together. I look forward to many more gigs and tours, and plenty of craic as we say in Ireland!"

Source: power-quest.co.uk
Band profile: Power Quest
Event: Power Quest

Posted: 14.11.2011 by Kingface

Comments

Kingface - 14.11.2011 at 22:18
Listened to a few songs by Karuna and am very impressed by Colin's work. I can imagine he'll suit the older PQ material brilliantly and looking forward to seeing how he handles songs from Blood Alliance too. Can't wait for the Wakefield gig!
Troy Killjoy - 14.11.2011 at 22:23
The guy's had no experience prior to this and he's 31?

Should be interesting to see how he does in front of a few hundred/thousand (not sure what kind of draw they get) people...
The Shape 1973 - 14.11.2011 at 22:31
I didn't know that that Chitty bloke had left.
Kingface - 14.11.2011 at 22:46
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.11.2011 at 22:23

The guy's had no experience prior to this and he's 31?

I'm not sure if by "live debut" they mean just for PQ or in general. Either way it's not as it is something totally new for a band with some exposure (be it little, lots or anything in between) to have a Vocalist who isn't as experienced as others. Marc Hudson with Dragonforce, for example.

Either way, should be interesting to see how PQ develop from here.
Milena - 14.11.2011 at 22:54
What was wrong with Chity anyway? Mighty fine voice.
And the whole phrase is 'live debut with the band', so I'm pretty sure he's got some experience
Kingface - 14.11.2011 at 23:05
Written by Milena on 14.11.2011 at 22:54

What was wrong with Chity anyway? Mighty fine voice.

From what both Steve and Chity have said, Chity decided to leave of his own accord. Chity added what came across as slightly bitter comments about how he got sick of being in the band and not getting paid for it or words to that effect.

Which makes me wonder why he agreed to join PQ in the first place. Steve has always made it clear to everyone that whilst PQ and its members are in the situation they are in now i.e. all members having Full-Time jobs, Steve self-financing the band, not having the exposure and not being able to tour regularly etc, they will not be getting paid for their work with PQ because it simply isn't possible at the moment.

Steve posts regularly at the PQ forums on Ultimate Metal, as do all the other current members and some of the past ones too. I've met all the current members barring Colin a couple of times before and after shows. They're sound, genuine guys who comes across as such on the forums too.

Disappointing that Chity left nonetheless though, great Vocalist and based on how he was when I met him, a great guy too. Blood Alliance is still my favourite album of 2011 and Chity contributes to its quality greatly. That being said, I think Colin is likely to do the older PQ material more justice.

It's a crime that PQ don't get the exposure they deserve. So many great songs, not a bad song in sight, plenty of variety and World-Class Musicians.
Baz Anderson - 14.11.2011 at 23:10
The last Power Quest album was by far the best thing they'd ever done, but live the singer didn't really fit/perform. Hopefully this new guy will be good.
Super_Greg - 15.11.2011 at 01:43
Damn didnt even know the old guy left lol. Hopefully the new album will kick as much ass as their last!!!
voodoo turkey - 15.11.2011 at 01:55
Colin sounds like he's gonna be a great replacement for Chity, I cannot wait for the Wakefield show!!
Warman - 16.11.2011 at 17:48
Written by Baz Anderson on 14.11.2011 at 23:10

The last PQ album was indeed great, the best since "Wings of Forever", but I can imagine that the vocalist couldn't really handle singing the old songs.
Kingface - 23.11.2011 at 21:12
Written by Warman on 16.11.2011 at 17:48

Written by Baz Anderson on 14.11.2011 at 23:10

You're more or less right. Seen PQ live with Chity twice and for the older songs they had to try and emphasise the backing Vocals from Andy and Paul a lot more to try and get the desired effect.

News Power Quest - Announce New Vocalist And Guitarist 11 10.05.2010 by Kingface
News Power Quest - Announce New Guitarist 9 16.06.2008 by GT