According to Metallica's official website, two new locations were added to the 2012 European summer vacation tour. Germany and Austria are the new additions with shows at Rock Im Park and Rock Am Ring. Metallica are veterans in these two festivals performing for the fifth time in both of them.

Also, but now in Austria, Metallica will be performing at Nova Rock in Nickelsdorf, the three-day festival that will receive Slayer, Mastodon, Trivium, Hatebreed, and Lamb Of God. Each night, the band will play the Metallica album in its entirety in order to celebrate the 20th anniversary of its release in August of 1991.

New shows added:

June 1, 2012 - Rock Im Park - Nuremberg, Germany
June 2, 2012 - Rock Am Ring - Nürburgring, Germany
June 10, 2012 - Nova Rock - Nickelsdorf, Austria

In other news, Academy Award nominated director Darren Aronofsky, famous for directing movies such as Black Swan and The Wrestler, has been announced as the director for Metallica's project with Lou Reed's second single, "Iced Honey", from their 2011 release Lulu. Drummer Lars Ulrich has commented that "Reed plus Aronofsky = living the dream", while Reed has commented that he wants this video to be "his Black Swan." The music video should be released later this month.

[Also thanks to Strifeman for sending in this news!]

Source: metallica.com
Band profile: Metallica

Posted: 26.11.2011 by kual21

Comments

Metal_4Ever - 26.11.2011 at 12:29
Great news..!!
Milena - 26.11.2011 at 13:15
"Drummer Lars Ulrich has commented that "Reed plus Aronofsky = living the dream", while Reed has commented that he wants this video to be "his Black Swan." The music video should be released later this month."
Lol. Real one.
Kalmari - 26.11.2011 at 13:35
Friggin' money wasters... While other bands struggle to stay alive playing thousands of club gigs and recording albums with their home equipment, Metallica creates Lulu and has Oscar directors making their music videos
arwestromen - 26.11.2011 at 14:41
Written by Kalmari on 26.11.2011 at 13:35

yep life is unfair....get over it or step aside bitch
Carl Berg - 26.11.2011 at 14:53
Oh, it's about Metallica. Hitting the back button...
malaikat - 26.11.2011 at 15:27
Can they be more pretentious about this LULU thing?

And I seriously doubt that Lars even heard of Aronofsky before Metallica's producers hired him to salvage this trainwreck of an album.
Doc Godin - 26.11.2011 at 16:45
Written by malaikat on 26.11.2011 at 15:27

I wouldn't go that far...The Wrestler, Black Swan, and The Fighter were all pretty big movies nominated for a lot of awards. That's not including Pi and Requiem For A Dream, both are huge cult following type movies. Despite the fact he's got his head jammed extremely far up his own ass, I wouldn't go so far as to say he's unaware of 3 major hit films and 2 that seem to be getting more popular over time.
Marcel Hubregtse - 26.11.2011 at 16:50
Written by malaikat on 26.11.2011 at 15:27

Can they be more pretentious about this LULU thing?

Concerning Lars, he might be a moron but he does know his arts be it film or painting or music.
malaikat - 26.11.2011 at 16:55
Written by Doc Godin on 26.11.2011 at 16:45

Written by malaikat on 26.11.2011 at 15:27

Oh, man, I completely forgot about Fighter and Wrestler. My bad, Aronofsky is still a cult-arthouse director in my head, didn't get used to looking at him as an established Hollywood bigman.

@Marcel
He collects paintings, right? Anyway, I still claim that this is overly pretentious. As if anything can be more pretentious than LULU.
Doc Godin - 26.11.2011 at 17:16
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.11.2011 at 16:50

Written by malaikat on 26.11.2011 at 15:27

Can they be more pretentious about this LULU thing?

And his wife is an actress if I recall correctly...I imagine that would give him some knowledge of the movie biz...
Marcel Hubregtse - 26.11.2011 at 17:21
Written by malaikat on 26.11.2011 at 16:55

@Marcel
He collects paintings, write? Anyway, I still claim that this is overly pretentious. As if anything can be more pretentious than LULU.

Yeah he collects paintings. he has a large Cobra collection if I recall correctly. But I agree Lulu and such is overly pretentious.
Unhealer - 26.11.2011 at 17:35
Written by Doc Godin on 26.11.2011 at 17:16

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.11.2011 at 16:50

Written by malaikat on 26.11.2011 at 15:27

Can they be more pretentious about this LULU thing?

Yup... I remember I read he was a big fan of the movie "Pi".

And this just spawned a question to my mind... does the band or the record company pay for the videos? I was just thinking about how Opeth doesn't give a shit about their videoclips, but they "have" to make them anyway
Truemetaljope - 26.11.2011 at 17:36
Sell outs
DrunkenFuck - 26.11.2011 at 18:44
Written by Truemetaljope on 26.11.2011 at 17:36

Sell outs

You're so trve!!!

Anyways. Why direct a video for a song nobody likes, for an album nobody cares about?

Also, what a bunch of sellouts.
Lit. - 26.11.2011 at 18:56
How dare they compare the awesomeness that is Black Swan to that trainwreck of an album?

I, for one, am offended and insulted.
Absak - 26.11.2011 at 19:54
Sell outs? You are over 20 years late.
Void Eater - 26.11.2011 at 20:14
It's no less true now than it was twenty years ago, although pointing it out is about as useful as pointing out that the sky is blue. But yeah, looking forward to the new video simply to enjoy the ensuing butthurt.
Andreas - 26.11.2011 at 20:28
Written by Void Eater on 26.11.2011 at 20:14

I beg to differ. The sky is black at the moment.
Troy Killjoy - 26.11.2011 at 21:51
Right, because hooking up with big-name professionals has always been Metallica's strong point.
SlaytanicGonzo - 26.11.2011 at 23:00
Written by Kalmari on 26.11.2011 at 13:35

Dude, Metallica had to "struggle" a lot too. And they had to play with home equipment, and play thousand of club gigs, etc. They earned it. Plus, they recorded 5 of the best Metal albums of all time, they have earned the right to hire whoever the fuck they want for their video, even if it is for a horrible album.
Troy Killjoy - 26.11.2011 at 23:04
Obviously they struggled back when they were a thrash band. Then they sold out with their rock releases for radio play, started releasing videos after a long-time non-video stance, and then there was the Napster fiasco. Metallica didn't "earn" their success. They sold themselves into it.
Opethian - 27.11.2011 at 00:12
Please ... just stop already.
Truemetaljope - 27.11.2011 at 00:55
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.11.2011 at 23:04

So true. No band ever became popular by playing thrash or not after late 80s that is.

Can't really understand how some people are thinking that releasing some good albums in the past works as an excuse for selling out later and going mainstream. I respect Kill em All and Ride the Lightning as individual albums because those are amazing but there's been too much hype and exaggeration going on FOR DECADES about Metallica, yet they haven't released anything good in the last two decades. There's no leaving thrash, true fans won't forget nor forgive sell outs. THRASH TILL DEATH as the saying goes, or maybe they are dead already? For me at least they have been dead for a long time.
Qube - 27.11.2011 at 01:49
Written by Doc Godin on 26.11.2011 at 16:45

Hello, movie nazi here... The Fighter was not an Aronofsy movie. It was directed by David O. Russell.

Anyway, that music video could be very interesting to watch... on mute .
Deleted Scenes - 27.11.2011 at 02:42
Written by EmperorIX on 27.11.2011 at 00:58

What the fuck has metallica done to each and everyone of you haters personally? why so much hatred? For a band you "claim" you don't give a shit about, you really waste alot of your time talking about them. They became a massive success, whether they sold out or not, so just GET OVER IT!!!

For me personally (and I assume at least a few others feel the same way), it's got nothing to do with money or popularity - and I do "give a shit" about Metallica (or at least the band they once were).

It's just frustrating when a once great band puts out mediocre album after mediocre album (with a couple of complete and utter shit ones thrown in for good measure), when everyone of us knows full well that, at one point at least, they were capable of so much more. Late '80s/early '90s, Metallica were probably still capable of putting out another 2-3 fantastic albums, or good ones at worst, yet what they actually gave us was Load, Reload, St. Anger, Death Magnetic and Lulu... this utter bollocks from the same band that wrote Ride The Lightning and ...And Justice For All (and to a slightly lesser extent, Kill Em All - I'm less of a fan of MOP, but that's besides the point).

It's fine when a good band runs out of ideas and/or loses the ability to write good material for whatever reason, but when they basically just say "fuck what we're actually good at, lets just make an album full of whatever's popular with Kerrang this month", that's pretty much a middle finger to the fans that got them to the point they were at to begin with.

I don't hate Metallica, but it's ridiculously easy to see why some people do... and they reason they spend so much time talking about it, probably has something to do with the way a huge amount of people still see them as God's gift to music (and how vocal they are about that), despite the complete lack of appreciation they've shown their original fans over the years - the ones, without which, they never would have had the opportunity to get to where they are now.

Massive amounts of arse-licking (especially when unwarranted), always attracts massive amounts of slating. That's a fact anywhere in life, not just the internet.
Truemetaljope - 27.11.2011 at 02:47
Written by EmperorIX on 27.11.2011 at 00:58

It's hard when every second news article is about them in music related sites.
Troy Killjoy - 27.11.2011 at 03:27
Written by EmperorIX on 27.11.2011 at 00:58

I feel you bro!
BoxCar Willy - 27.11.2011 at 06:46
Metallica is dead to me.
Doc Godin - 27.11.2011 at 08:42
Written by Qube on 27.11.2011 at 01:49

Written by Doc Godin on 26.11.2011 at 16:45

Anyway, that music video could be very interesting to watch... on mute .

He was an executive producer for The Fighter. So in a sense, yes, it was an Aronofsky film.
Angelic Storm - 27.11.2011 at 14:19
Written by Truemetaljope on 27.11.2011 at 00:55

So I'm guessing then, that you hold bands like Megadeth, Sepultura, Kreator, Destruction, Overkill, Forbidden, Testament, Exodus, etc in contempt just like Metallica? Because all of these bands (and many others) at some point in their careers, abandoned thrash as well.
Marcel Hubregtse - 27.11.2011 at 16:05
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.11.2011 at 23:04

...Then they sold out with their rock releases for radio play, ...

Metallica - Metallica is a straight up heavy metal release for radio play NOT a rock release *sigh*
Truemetaljope - 27.11.2011 at 18:14
Written by Angelic Storm on 27.11.2011 at 14:19

Written by Truemetaljope on 27.11.2011 at 00:55

Well I'm bigger fan of lesser known thrash bands and that might just be because they always were true to their fans and never forgot their roots, unlike many of these "popular thrash acts". I agree on that many big thrash names did leave the boundaries of thrash metal by experimenting with different kinds of other metal but Metallica did it most extreme. It wasn't an uncommon thing and not that big deal to bitch about that thrash bands went into groove metal in the 90s (Overkill, Sepultura, Vio-lence) but going nu-metal like Metallica (St. Anger) is not something that could be turned a blind eye on. I mean for many thrash bands it wasn't even up to them to decide if they would continue to play thrash but to do as record companies wanted them to do; to play groove. This lead to disbandment of many major thrash acts such as "Death Angel" and "Evil Dead" which have been fortunately reformed.

For anyone interested in this topic I would recommend checking out documents such as 'Get Thrashed' and 'Vio-lence: Blood and Dirt' to get a better insight what was going back then.
Troy Killjoy - 27.11.2011 at 18:56
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.11.2011 at 16:05

Load and ReLoad are both rock albums.
Marcel Hubregtse - 27.11.2011 at 19:37
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.11.2011 at 18:56

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.11.2011 at 16:05

Load and ReLoad are both rock albums.

Load and Reload are indeed hard rock albums.
Troy Killjoy - 27.11.2011 at 19:43
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.11.2011 at 19:37
Load and Reload are indeed hard rock albums.

I don't even know if I'd call them hard rock at that point. There are definitely some hard rock songs, but also a few blues rock tracks.
Winterthrone - 27.11.2011 at 21:13
Lol...You just have to write Metallica in a post to start up a mess...Darren Aronofsky is one of the greatest directors of our times, but I don't think he can save a band from mediocrity...What Metallica would need is to be locked up in a room with no food, lots of beer and their instruments so that they could come back to what they did best in the days they were starving and partying: Thrash Fuckin' Metal.
NLthrasher - 28.11.2011 at 05:16
Written by Winterthrone on 27.11.2011 at 21:13

That seems like an ideal solution;D
afu - 28.11.2011 at 08:37
I'm a fan of hard rock, so I like Load. There are a lot of good songs, but I can understand the anger old fans might have for the shift in direction. I think Reload and St Anger were mostly shit, though. Metallica changed my life when I was 13, so I've tried to stick by them. When they release shit albums, I just don't listen to them. I was very pleasantly surprised by Death Magnetic and I hope their next proper release builds on it and makes me proud to be a Metallica fan.

I'm curious as to how Cliff and Peter from Q Prime responded to the album. Both seem to be pretty vocal in any footage I've seen of them.
Milena - 30.11.2011 at 23:42
Written by Qube on 27.11.2011 at 01:49

Anyway, that music video could be very interesting to watch... on mute .

Especially if they get Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis to make out in it?

Quite a shame that a girl had to say this, the male audience is probably all about the kitchen puns right now.
Troy Killjoy - 30.11.2011 at 23:43
Written by Milena on 30.11.2011 at 23:42
Quite a shame that a girl had to say this...

Maybe if they did a better job at portraying a lesbian scene more of us would be excited for this kind of collaboration.
Milena - 30.11.2011 at 23:47
Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.11.2011 at 23:43

Quite possibly.
On topic though, I believe the video will be very artsy-fartsy and with a lot of photoshopping over the wrinkles. The Day That Never Comes was a very nice video, or maybe I remember it as nice because I always liked the song from the middle onward. Never was a Metallica fan, but that song did wonders for me when I had to wake up for school in the mornin'.
Slayer666 - 01.12.2011 at 17:47
Written by Milena on 30.11.2011 at 23:42

Nah, too busy Googling for "Black Swan sex scene".
Milena - 01.12.2011 at 18:11
Written by Slayer666 on 01.12.2011 at 17:47

Nah, too busy Googling for "Black Swan sex scene".

Fair enough
Qube - 02.12.2011 at 22:17
Written by Milena on 30.11.2011 at 23:42

Especially if they get Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis to make out in it?

I don't want Metallica to ruin lesbians for me.
I know they can... :'((

News Metallica - Summer Tour Dates 7.5 12.04.2008 by Baz Anderson
News Dimmu Borgir - Announce New Tour Dates For 2012 5.5 28.12.2011 by Întunecatul
News Brutal Assault 2012 - New Bands Added To Line-Up 5.5 09.03.2012 by Milena
News Kamelot - To Film Upcoming European Shows For DVD, Announce 2009 European Tour 5.5 31.07.2008 by Memento Mori
News Brutal Assault 2012 - New Bands Added To Line-Up 5.5 18.07.2012 by Cynic Metalhead