Finnish progressive metallers Barren Earth have unveiled more details about their new album. The band posted the following on their official website: "Barren Earth will release their sophomore full-length album, The Devil's Resolve, in North America on March 13, Japan and Finland on March 7 and rest of EU on March 12 via Peaceville Records. The effort will be made available on CD and vinyl, with artwork provided by notable U.S.-based artist Paul Romano (Mastodon)."

"Mixed by Dan Swanö (Opeth, Katatonia) at Unisound in Sweden, The Devil's Resolve continues with all the trademarks one has come to associate with Barren Earth: brutal riffs, gloomy growls, majestic melodies, as well as acoustic and progressive passages. But this time the band has delved even deeper, taking this sophomore effort to the extremes through musical landscapes encompassing brutal death metal, doomy vocals, trippy 70's prog lunacy, pastoral passages and even bagpipes."

"You can pre-order The Devil's Resolve from the following link (the debut EP and album still available too)."

On the left: CD cover | On the right: Vinyl cover

Source: barrenearth.com
Band profile: Barren Earth

Posted: 11.01.2012 by Array

Comments

Troy Killjoy - 11.01.2012 at 11:16
Brutal death? Bagpipes? 70's prog?

Something tells me I should just stick to the debut. :/
Milena - 11.01.2012 at 11:22
I think it's gonna be awesome. And it comes in time for my three year anniversary
!J.O.O.E.! - 11.01.2012 at 11:44
Looking forward to this a lot seeing as they're the one and only melodeath band I listen to these days. Even if that artwork is ugly as sin.
Risto - 11.01.2012 at 11:48
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.01.2012 at 11:16

Brutal death? Bagpipes? 70's prog?

Something tells me I should just stick to the debut. :/

When someone mentions Barren Earth and brutal death in the same sentence, all I can think of is "Flicker". They played "Passing of the Crimson Shadows" (video below), "Vintage Warlords" and "As It Is Written" last summer in Helsinki, and they all sounded good yet nothing style-changing. The second mentioned track I remember having those Celtic influences.

pisymbol - 11.01.2012 at 14:36
In terms of melodeath releases, what else do you guys look forward too in 2012? I mean Soilwork will be a complete long shot (though I thought "The Panic Broadcast" was a step in the right direction).
Czerny Reiter - 11.01.2012 at 15:39
Stoked. Their debut was really killer and I love their take on melodeath. The only other band right now I would count on would be In Mourning's 'Weight of Oceans' for this style of music.
Risto - 11.01.2012 at 16:58
Written by pisymbol on 11.01.2012 at 14:36

Be'lakor will release their third album in May or so and In Mourning has The Weight Of Oceans coming out. There's also albums coming out from Kalmah and probably Noumena.
Milena - 11.01.2012 at 17:33
Written by Risto on 11.01.2012 at 16:58

Written by pisymbol on 11.01.2012 at 14:36

Be'lakor is quite a good band but doesn't move me, In Mourning I do not really like, I should start listening to Kalmah pronto because I always dig it when it's played to me and I enjoy Noumena's Absence a lot but I don't think the new album will be that special. Mah two cents.
pisymbol - 11.01.2012 at 18:30
Written by Milena on 11.01.2012 at 17:33

Written by Risto on 11.01.2012 at 16:58

Written by pisymbol on 11.01.2012 at 14:36

I like Be'lakor and I forgot about In Mourning's new one. I do think that might be the melodeath highlight of the year (at least for me).

Kalmah's last blew serious chunks in my opinion but some of their older work is quite good.

Someone just recommended Noumena's Absence to me yesterday so I need to check this out.
Milena - 11.01.2012 at 18:41
Written by pisymbol on 11.01.2012 at 18:30

Noumena's Absence is, at least for me, better than both One For Sorrow and New World Shadows, although I've enjoyed both immensely. It features top class clean vocals, both male and female, A LOT of catchy melodies and a very old In Flames feel. I listened to it for weeks.

To get this back on topic: how do you people like the cover?
Ag Fox - 11.01.2012 at 19:46
What a horrid cover art o.o
doubt I would make a purchase because of it lol
tea[m]ster - 12.01.2012 at 01:36
New album will come with ALOT of expectation...and probably will not meet it sadly. However, i cannot wait!

News Barren Earth - Four Songs From New Album Streaming Online 9 05.03.2012 by Milena
News Iced Earth - New Album Release Date/Cover Art/Tracklist Revealed, Tour Dates Announced 7 29.07.2011 by JÄY
News Barren Earth - New Album Details 7 13.01.2010 by Jeeers
News In Vain - To Release New Album In March, Announce Also European Tour 7 23.01.2013 by Kuroboshi
News DGM - To Release New Album In March 7 27.01.2013 by Ag Fox