Norwegian black metal one-man band Burzum has announced the release of a new album entitled Umskiptar in May via Byelobog Productions. The artwork and tracklist of the album were also revealed.

Varg Vikernes posted the following on the band's official website: "Burzum persists. A new Burzum album, titled Umskiptar (Metamorphoses), is scheduled for release in May 2012 on Byelobog Productions. Umskiptar consists of 65 minutes of skaldic metal, recorded in Grieghallen Studio in Bergen in September 2011."

"The lyrics on Umskiptar are all taken from a Norse poem, Völuspá. For an English translation of the lyrics see the book Sorcery And Religion In Ancient Scandinavia."

Umskiptar tracklist:

11. Níðhöggr

Source: burzum.org
Band profile: Burzum

Posted: 21.01.2012 by Void Eater

Comments

Mr. Doctor - 21.01.2012 at 19:59
Like I said before... Beautiful artwork, but not sure about the music. I'm still interested though.
Jiri - 21.01.2012 at 20:08
Hopefully this will be good. I would love to own that artwork
Array - 21.01.2012 at 20:16
Written by Jiri on 21.01.2012 at 20:08

I would love to own that artwork

But who are the two fellows under the tree?
Mr. Doctor - 21.01.2012 at 20:19
Written by Array on 21.01.2012 at 20:16

Written by Jiri on 21.01.2012 at 20:08

I would love to own that artwork

But who are the two fellows under the tree?

Obviously Varg and Euronymous being all romantic and stuff.
Array - 21.01.2012 at 20:22
Written by Mr. Doctor on 21.01.2012 at 20:19

Obviously Varg and Euronymous being all romantic and stuff.

Indeed, dude. That's your new alias... "The Indeed Dude"
Daniell - 21.01.2012 at 20:32
Someone stop this guy before he smashes his reputation to pieces by releasing two mediocre albums per year. Not that I ever liked him, but he was influential back in the day after all.
Mr. Doctor - 21.01.2012 at 20:34
Written by Daniell on 21.01.2012 at 20:32

This, with the only difference that I like Burzum. I'm interested but mosly on a curious level. But I still think I would preffer Burzum to just end as it was before he went out of jail, even witht he ambient albums and stuff.
Void Eater - 21.01.2012 at 20:35
Apparently his book isn't selling very well.
Jiri - 21.01.2012 at 20:39
Written by Void Eater on 21.01.2012 at 20:35

Apparently his book isn't selling very well.

He should just convert to being an online retard...
Daniell - 21.01.2012 at 20:43
On second thought, he was an extremely prolific musician before his incarceration, so it's only natural that he now churns out album after album. Nothing has changed in that department.
Array - 21.01.2012 at 20:50
Still profilic, I'd say. The albums always differ enough from everything else being released in the present and in the past. And Burzum also evolves step by step. Good luck and I wish it's a good one.
wodka popinski - 21.01.2012 at 21:50
Written by Void Eater on 21.01.2012 at 20:35

Apparently his book isn't selling very well.

I think it's more a case of him being an artist and wanting to create new music. I hope Burzum releases as many albums as possible now. The music has always been good, but now that some money and effort seems to be going into the production, it's magical. I'd like to hear what somebody like Madsen or Nordstrom could do with Varg's stuff.
Array - 21.01.2012 at 21:57
The production leans on quite cheap but fitting equipment. That's how it's always been. Some outer ('who could make candy') producers can just pee in their hats.
Mr. Doctor - 21.01.2012 at 22:00
Written by Array on 21.01.2012 at 20:50

Well, I obviously disagree here, Burzum latest 2 albums are irrelevant to the scene as a whole, it's quite a fact if we just look at how it doesn't affect anything in the scene that much in the large scale of things, even more so considering the amount of excellent black metal that has been released this year, Varg can't keep up with the competition. Fallen was ok/good but compared to the hightlights of this year it doesn't stand a chance.
Array - 21.01.2012 at 22:01
Written by Mr. Doctor on 21.01.2012 at 22:00

Written by Array on 21.01.2012 at 20:50

Well, I obviously disagree here, Burzum latest 2 albums are irrelevant to the scene as a whole, even more so considering the amount of excellent black metal that has been released this year, Varg can't keep up with the competition. Fallen was ok/good but compared to the hightlights of this year it doesn't stand a chance.

"fuck the scene" -Fenriz
Mr. Doctor - 21.01.2012 at 22:03
Written by Array on 21.01.2012 at 22:01
"fuck the scene" -Fenriz

Well, you obviously don't use the same meaning of "scene" as I do.
In this case... I don't mean fans or anything of the sort... Just all the current bands doing their own thing. Burzum isn't really doing anything interesting nowdays and it's even more clear by looking at all the albums that has been released.
Array - 21.01.2012 at 22:06
Written by Mr. Doctor on 21.01.2012 at 22:03

Well, you obviously don't use the same meaning of "scene" as I do.

Well I don't have anything to say here. I'm not interested in changing your opinion.
Mr. Doctor - 21.01.2012 at 22:06
Written by Array on 21.01.2012 at 22:06

I'm not interested in changing yours either. It's a forum... I don't see the prize in doing so.
Array - 21.01.2012 at 22:09
Written by Mr. Doctor on 21.01.2012 at 22:06

Written by Array on 21.01.2012 at 22:06

I guess we end up having shaved balls and an awkward itch.
Mr. Doctor - 21.01.2012 at 22:11
Written by Array on 21.01.2012 at 22:09

I guess we end up having shaved balls and an awkward itch.

That itching is quite awful indeed. I hate those first days...
Pazdzioch - 21.01.2012 at 22:23
Nice cover art. I'll check this album for sure.
Thyroid - 22.01.2012 at 00:30
Well, I think every Burzum album has it's own, unique sound and feeling. Burzum is like box of chocolates, you never know... I cannot think any other artist or band, who's albums greatness so much depends on production and sound. And I know how funny this sounds, when thinking black metal and Burzum. On these Burzum's after jail-albums 'Belus' worked to me, with good tracks - but also much because of "under the pillow"-sound. It wasn't even nearly as raw as Burzum albums before, but it didn't matter to me. On the other hand, 'Fallen' songs itself stands comparing to earlier works of Mr.Vikernes, there's nothing wrong with them... but sound on that album is just too lame - leaves me totally cold. Not sure why, it just didn't work. Much more rawier sound might saved a lot. I keep my thumbs up, that this going to be a great album, GREAT songs - with great unique and enjoyable sound (I want this in vinyl!)
Lit. - 22.01.2012 at 02:11
Perhaps Varg should stop with music and focus more on art.
wodka popinski - 22.01.2012 at 04:09
What's up with people talking about some kind of 'scene'? Bands or persons make music...if the sounds release dopamine in a particular person'ts head then it sounds good, otherwise it doesn't. If a band or person releases an album, great, whether an individual likes it or not. Thank fucking god metal bands cater to fans and not critics. If musicians worried about the 'genre' of music like so many critics do, then metal bands would all give up and we'd have nothing at all to listen to. In order to describe a metal band's music in a negative way, one must first make music far superior to anything that has ever been released. At that point, it's then appropriate to rip somebody's form of art.
Mr. Doctor - 22.01.2012 at 05:16
Written by Guest on 22.01.2012 at 04:09

So you just read the word "scene" in my comment and then wrote something that doesn't have anything to do with my first comment in the first place... at all. Nice.

Summing things up: To me and others, the latest 2 albums by Burzum were very meh (Fallen was a slight improvement but not so much). I feel sorry for Varg, for real. He got it difficult in both fronts. He hasn't been able to do something with the same value as the classic period and at the same time he hasn't done anything in the same value as anything else that has been released these recent years... Even the bands he influenced and pretty much created ended up recording superior albums... A classic example of apprentices conquering their masters.

This is obviously my opinion, I'm not stating anything as facts... What I happen to find silly is that you seem to imply that no one is allowed to say their opinion unless they are in the same boat, making music.
strade - 22.01.2012 at 06:40
Game, set, match.
strade - 22.01.2012 at 06:46
Written by Guest on 22.01.2012 at 04:09

This is perhaps the single most ludicrous thing I've ever seen puked into existence in all of history. And I go on the internet. Daily.
Awesomesaurus - 22.01.2012 at 09:27
Written by Mr. Doctor on 21.01.2012 at 20:19

Written by Array on 21.01.2012 at 20:16

Written by Jiri on 21.01.2012 at 20:08

I would love to own that artwork

But who are the two fellows under the tree?

Obviously Varg and Euronymous being all romantic and stuff.

You Win the Internet.
Sworn - 22.01.2012 at 11:30
It is good that burzum is still alive releasing new records. Their two latest albums are way better than most of the modern plastic garbage that black metal has become nowadays.
Mr. Doctor - 22.01.2012 at 13:50
Written by Sworn on 22.01.2012 at 11:30
the modern plastic garbage that black metal has become nowadays.

You missed all the good albums this year then But don't worry, the awards will appear soon.
Iron Nostarion - 22.01.2012 at 22:42
Written by Sworn on 22.01.2012 at 11:30

Problem is, Burzum turned to plastic crap with their last few albums, so I don't see the validity of your argument.
Also, "Noregs Vaapen" and "Celestial Lineage" pretty much beat the crap out of "Fallen".
Mikyz - 22.01.2012 at 23:30
I quite enjoyed Fallen, it wasn't innovative or remotely close to his pre-prison era, but you never know, he just might surprise us this year.
Slayer666 - 23.01.2012 at 00:14
What, already a new one?
Oh well, you can't expect many employers to hire an ex-con, the guy has got to make a living somehow.
Void Eater - 23.01.2012 at 09:10
Written by Slayer666 on 23.01.2012 at 00:14

What, already a new one?

You don't think that Varg could get a job speaking at public high schools about his experiences and encouraging the students to make the right decisions so that they don't end up like him?
vezzy - 23.01.2012 at 10:47
Written by Void Eater on 23.01.2012 at 09:10

Fully possible, considering any nutjob can deliver public speeches. If a social engineer like Kev Mitnick is invited to deliver computer security speeches, hell yeah Varg can be the spokesperson for the "don't burn that church" campaign.
Slayer666 - 23.01.2012 at 14:56
Written by Void Eater on 23.01.2012 at 09:10

Why would they wish not to end up like him? Norwegian prisons are offer more luxury than an average Serbian household, getting sent to one is not such a big deal. And you'd also have a horde of internet kiddies thinking you're the messiah, if you like that sort of fame.
Mr. Doctor - 23.01.2012 at 15:51
Written by vezzy on 23.01.2012 at 10:47

Heh, reminds me of a drug addict that went to my school when I was around your age(?). Probably one of the funniest but also best speeches I've heard because the dude wasn't saying "drugs are bad ... mmmkay?" but just talked about his life and was quite a charming fella.
Himann - 26.01.2012 at 16:20
Written by Mr. Doctor on 21.01.2012 at 22:00

How about another Edward Cullen avatar for you if this one turns out to be a good listen as well. If it isn't good in your opinion, post a full album review on why you feel this way etc.
Cill O' Connor - 28.01.2012 at 14:43
Written by Daniell on 21.01.2012 at 20:32

Smash his reputation? He's probably best known for being a convicted murderer and an unabashed racist

But as far as his musical reputation goes: I think he made more than enough quality old school black metal, to satisfy me anyway. I'm enjoying seeing Varg branch out and try more progressive things. It's refreshing to hear metal that doesn't sound like every other band. Really looking forward to hearing this as I really enjoyed Fallen.

News Burzum - New Album Details 9 13.12.2009 by Himann
News Helstar - Announce New Album Details 7 23.01.2014 by JÄY
News Soulfallen - Announce New Album Details And Line-Up Changes 7 11.12.2011 by Draugen
News Demonical - Announce Upcoming New Album Details 7 19.07.2013 by Sunioj