Metalstormers, the time is here once more.

The Metal Storm Awards 2011 are now open!

Throughout January we have been painstakingly working to provide you with a run-down of our nominations for what we feel are the best albums of 2011. It is now your job to check out the cream of the crop, and vote for your favourites.

This is the eighth year of the Metal Storm Awards, and as always you have the month of February to cast your judgement. This year however, we have introduced a couple of new categories; Melodic Black and Djent/Math metal, and also split up a few of the categories that were coupled in previous years.

Don't forget to share this news with your friends, or even start your own campaign over the internet for your favourite bands to win. We have done the hard work bringing you these nominations, now let's have some fun. Useful banners and buttons can be found here.

Results will be announced on the 1st March!

- The Metal Storm Staff

Source: metalstorm.net

Posted: 01.02.2012 by Ivan

Comments page 8 of 9

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9

vezzy - 07.02.2012 at 23:06
Written by Edmund Fogg on 07.02.2012 at 22:24
i don't get it.

You can't close a tag without opening it.

But that's how the internet meme works, you moron.

Well, I don't care. It's also so old and dull, it just... hurts to see it. You could've at least styled it with arrow brackets like in HTML. But generally, it's never a good idea to blatantly shout out "I'M SARCASTIC LOL WARCRAFT" so yeah.
Milena - 07.02.2012 at 23:17
Written by vezzy on 07.02.2012 at 23:06

Written by Edmund Fogg on 07.02.2012 at 22:24
i don't get it.

You can't close a tag without opening it.

But that's how the internet meme works, you moron.

@Edmund: As you can see in this comment, our sir is a bit of a pretend internet douche.
@Vezzy: Tone it down a bit will ya... this comment wasn't very nice.
enumaelis - 08.02.2012 at 01:32
I've checked the stuff of the Symphonic Metal but none of them has convinced me. I was about to not to vote there, but when I recently found the new Tjodalv's (Susperia, ex-Dimmu) project, Gromth, I found my answer XD Nice orchestral Extreme Metal, better than the overrated (under my point of view) new one of SepticFlesh.
Edmund Fogg - 08.02.2012 at 03:39
Written by vezzy on 07.02.2012 at 23:06

You can't close a tag without opening it.

But that's how the internet meme works, you moron.

It was just to make sure the sarcasm was understood, as text can often be interpreted the wrong way. And I don't really care what's hot or not on the internet. I mostly end up writting as if I was having a conversation so I'm not gonna break my head to figure out what would look good and be a pleasure to see for everyone else. I'm just gonna make sure my thoughts are conveyed correctly.
Ozman - 08.02.2012 at 03:48
Edmund... don't feed the troll. Him knowing what's hot or not on the net is telling as it is
psykometal - 08.02.2012 at 07:12
If by chance the voter who wrote in Dark Tranquillity's We Are the Void for Melodeath happens upon this post, you should re-do your vote because that album was released in 2010 and this is the 2011 MS Awards...
NastyHero - 08.02.2012 at 21:56
Is it possible to re-do a vote? (no, I was not the one who voted for We are the Void)
I'd re-vote on Uneven Structure instead of Animals as Leaders...
Ozman - 08.02.2012 at 22:09
Written by NastyHero on 08.02.2012 at 21:56

I'd re-vote on Uneven Structure instead of Animals as Leaders...

It should be possible to delete your orignial vote and vote again.
Mr. Doctor - 08.02.2012 at 22:10
Written by NastyHero on 08.02.2012 at 21:56

I'd re-vote on Uneven Structure instead of Animals as Leaders...

Just click on the red x
NastyHero - 09.02.2012 at 01:51
Written by Mr. Doctor on 08.02.2012 at 22:10

Written by NastyHero on 08.02.2012 at 21:56

I'd re-vote on Uneven Structure instead of Animals as Leaders...

Just click on the red x

...why, of course. Was looking at the wrong places.
Thanks, my votes look better now.
Cynic Metalhead - 09.02.2012 at 13:05
It's only 9th and 'em getting fucking excited for the result. As anxious as I am about to give a pro exam. Make it that happen soon.
M C Vice - 11.02.2012 at 03:52
If Midnattsol were nominated in the symphonic catagory, shouldn't they have symphonic (or a variant of it) addd to their profile?
Milena - 11.02.2012 at 12:40
Written by M C Vice on 11.02.2012 at 03:52

Good question.
JCJen7 - 12.02.2012 at 02:14
NOT ENOUGH TIME!!!
psykometal - 12.02.2012 at 03:25
Written by JCJen7 on 12.02.2012 at 02:14

NOT ENOUGH TIME!!!

Then listen faster...
JCJen7 - 12.02.2012 at 04:56
Written by psykometal on 12.02.2012 at 03:25

Written by JCJen7 on 12.02.2012 at 02:14

NOT ENOUGH TIME!!!

Then listen faster...

I tried that, drone sounds a helluva lot better
chronic-headache - 12.02.2012 at 20:45
I used the nominations to catch up on some of the stuff I missed, and found some real winners! Neurotech and Mayan (WTF How did I not know of an Epica side project?)
Can't wait to see the results!
Unhealer - 12.02.2012 at 22:47
Written by chronic-headache on 12.02.2012 at 20:45

Can't wait to see the results!

Yeah, Mayan's release has gone quite unnoticed this year. And it had lots of promotion from the band.
When they came to play to my country, if the flyer hadn't said "With members of EPICA", almost nodoby would have attended the concert.

In fact everyone was expecting them to play "Cry For The Moon". After seeing Epica three times and the vocal deterioration of Simone, I was like "Kill me, please".
psykometal - 13.02.2012 at 00:55
Written by Unhealer on 12.02.2012 at 22:47

Yea, I am also quite surprised at how little response Mark Jenson got with MaYaN...
JCJen7 - 13.02.2012 at 01:46
Just curious, why were the Foo Fighters not nominated for hard rock? I don't mind, I just wrote them in, but curious if it was because they were considered more alternative/90's influenced than heavier rock, becuase the staff didn't want to make them a profile considering they are nowhere near metal, or were they considered and just the staff didn't like the album as much as the other 10?
psykometal - 13.02.2012 at 04:13
Written by JCJen7 on 13.02.2012 at 01:46

They're not on MetalStorm...

Edit: And probably none of the Staff thought they were good enough to get added to the site just so they could be a Staff nomination...
JCJen7 - 13.02.2012 at 05:56
Written by psykometal on 13.02.2012 at 04:13

They're not on MetalStorm...

Gotcha. will my write-in vote even be counten in that case? (Just wondering at this point, I realize I may be the only one voting for them here)
psykometal - 13.02.2012 at 06:44
Written by JCJen7 on 13.02.2012 at 05:56

It'll probably get nuked since the band isn't on the site. I would recast if I were you.
JCJen7 - 13.02.2012 at 07:02
Written by psykometal on 13.02.2012 at 06:44

Damn, if it helps, they did just perform on the Grammy's wearing Slayer shirts...
Ozman - 13.02.2012 at 07:04
Written by JCJen7 on 13.02.2012 at 05:56

Written by psykometal on 13.02.2012 at 04:13

They're not on MetalStorm...

your write in vote will be kept. Foo Fighters ia hard rock/alternative rock. Them not being on the site does not mean it will get nukes. According to most of MS staff/elites it just wasn't good enough to make the 10 nominees that's all.
Promonex - 13.02.2012 at 07:30
They've been considered for hard rock. Didn't have many supporters.
psykometal - 13.02.2012 at 08:20
Written by Ozman on 13.02.2012 at 07:04

Well I suppose this is good.

And JC, sporting Slayer shirts doesn't make them cool in my book. I hear that they won the "metal" category of the Grammy's, if you ask me Dave Grohl is a pompous schmuck for accepting it since Foo Fighters isn't metal...
JCJen7 - 13.02.2012 at 10:07
Written by psykometal on 13.02.2012 at 08:20

They won the best hard rock/metal performance. Meaning 1 song that is either hard rock or metal, and White Limo won. Definately a hard rock song. You should watch some interviews with Dave Grohl, seems to be one of the nicest and down-to-earth guys ever. Plus he really likes metal, and has a light-hearted metal side-project/super group Probot. Not really worth checking out, but just kind of fun.
psykometal - 13.02.2012 at 18:29
Written by JCJen7 on 13.02.2012 at 10:07

Ah ok well if it's hard rock/metal then fine I guess, I didn't watch them but there were lots of posts on facebook bitching about FF winning the "metal category". I'd still love to know just exactly who all the other nominees were that Foo Fighters were deemed the cream of the crop. I'm aware of Probot, didn't care for it much.
Edmund Fogg - 13.02.2012 at 19:53
Written by psykometal on 13.02.2012 at 18:29

You had Megadeth, Mastodon and others, I don't remember. I would've preffered to see Matodon win, but since it's more a poularity contest then anything else, I'm not that surprised.
Ozman - 13.02.2012 at 19:58
Written by Edmund Fogg on 13.02.2012 at 19:53

I don't think it's even a popularity contest as it is more of how much the record labels pay the Grammy organizers.
Edmund Fogg - 13.02.2012 at 20:04
^ popularity brings in more money, hence heavier brown enveloppes. Another thought to store in my parainoia/mysantropy file.;D
psykometal - 13.02.2012 at 21:33
Written by Ozman on 13.02.2012 at 19:58

And you can bet they all snuffed their noses at the likes of Mastodon and Megadeth. Probably for the best Mastodon or Megadeth didn't win, would've been embaressing for them I think because they'd go out on stage to play and all those teeny boppers who went would be scratching their heads and shooting dirty looks because they probably don't even know who Mastodon or Megadeth are.
JCJen7 - 14.02.2012 at 04:58
Dream Theater and Sum 41 were the other two to be nominated.
And, I'm gonna take another angle at this all, I think the Foo Fighters deserved to win. Not sure how many people heard their new album, it was fucking awesome if you ask me. I mean, White Limo was not my favorite hard rock/metal song, not by a long shot, but it was 10x better than anything off of Megadeth's new album, and I prefer it to Curl Of The Burl (FF and Mastodon don't have all that differant of a sound nowadays it seems).

Anyways, all off topic.

Back on topic, I was about to cast my thrash vote for Skeletonwitch, when I decided I'd give Trials (the only album on there I hadn't heard) a shot. Well holy fuck, I may be reconsidering that vote.

Edit: Oh, and Dave Grohl had this to say about winning the award..."I feel so bad for the Dream Theater guy, because they actually had a metal performance, we didn't..."
psykometal - 14.02.2012 at 05:27
Written by JCJen7 on 14.02.2012 at 04:58

Hmm...not sure how to feel about that. On the one hand I could say "well that's humbling and good on him for admitting that", however on the other hand I could say "he's still a schmuck cuz he still accepted it" but then I don't know if they allow artists to just refuse to accept a nomination. Also I can't say whether I feel that Dream Theater is any more metal or deserving just cuz I never really got into DT but I have seen lots of bitching about their latest album so idk.
M C Vice - 14.02.2012 at 10:11
Touching on what I was asking about earlier in the thread (I've put in most of my votes, just want to clarify). Write in votes should go in the catagory/style that the band is listed in in their profile? Hopefully I'll emember for next year.
Still need to decide on doom and power (Ixion vs Omit and Tarot vs Symphonia).
Ozman - 14.02.2012 at 10:13
Written by M C Vice on 14.02.2012 at 10:11

If the band is featured or non-visible, yes it should. No matter if you disagree or not
M C Vice - 14.02.2012 at 10:21
Written by Ozman on 14.02.2012 at 10:13

Written by M C Vice on 14.02.2012 at 10:11

Right. That's the clarification i was after.
Even if I disagree.
Ozman - 14.02.2012 at 10:37
Written by M C Vice on 14.02.2012 at 10:21

Right. That's the clarification i was after.
Even if I disagree.

Let me guess which band
M C Vice - 14.02.2012 at 10:48
Written by Ozman on 14.02.2012 at 10:37

Written by M C Vice on 14.02.2012 at 10:21

Right. That's the clarification i was after.
Even if I disagree.

Let me guess which band

Actually, there's a few. But I've only been vocal about one. So far.
Ozman - 14.02.2012 at 10:51
Written by M C Vice on 14.02.2012 at 10:48

Actually, there's a few. But I've only been vocal about one. So far.

Okay, which are the others? I am just wondering. At times I am not happy with some classifications here on MS either
M C Vice - 14.02.2012 at 11:21
Written by Ozman on 14.02.2012 at 10:51

Written by M C Vice on 14.02.2012 at 10:48

I'll send a pm.
Milena - 14.02.2012 at 18:51
Written by M C Vice on 14.02.2012 at 10:11

Tarot vs Symphonia).

I don't think Tarot's latest counts, since it was a re-recording of SOI anyway, as changed as the songs may be... also, you like Symphonia over Strato's latest, which makes you the first person I've met who sides with Tolkki
Cynic Metalhead - 14.02.2012 at 19:14
Written by JCJen7 on 14.02.2012 at 04:58

You guys[psko!) have taken enough rounds on Dave Grohl?!! eh?! anyways, standing on a "ever-plastic" stupid Grammy's podium...he was really proud of it that his new album was made in a garage. After all, their producer is a old Nirvana man...and grunge stuff hasn't faded yet...he should thank Kurt Cobain for this. But now, they are Grammy winner...they can whine about anyone.
JCJen7 - 15.02.2012 at 03:44
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 14.02.2012 at 19:14

*smiles and nods*
M C Vice - 15.02.2012 at 06:34
Written by Milena on 14.02.2012 at 18:51

Written by M C Vice on 14.02.2012 at 10:11

Tarot vs Symphonia).

Havn't got any Stratovarius and I found Symphonia in the shops (unlike Stratovarius).
Tarot are still elegable though, right?
Milena - 15.02.2012 at 12:40
Written by M C Vice on 15.02.2012 at 06:34

Tarot are still elegable though, right?

Well, it kinda doesn't make sense to vote for a remake for a best NEW album... they are different but those are still the same songs as they were on the original Spell Of Iron
tea[m]ster - 16.02.2012 at 00:40
I noticed like only 15 people have Dirge Elysian Magnetic Fields. There are over 600 votes in the post-metal catagory. The odds aren't in favor for my FAVORITE album of 2011
Darkside Momo - 16.02.2012 at 00:48
Written by tea[m]ster on 16.02.2012 at 00:40

I have the same problem with Lazuli in prog, actually
Ozman - 16.02.2012 at 01:01
Who cares if your favourite album doesn't win. As llong as it gets exposure.
I really don't get why people get so hung up over the fact that the albums they voted for didn't win/

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9

News Metal Storm Awards 2009 - Now Open For Voting! 9 01.02.2010 by Angel_Lament
News Metal Storm Awards 2010 - Voting Open!!! 7.5 01.02.2011 by Kamil