Bill Ward posted a lengthy message onto his Facebook yesterday stating that he is unable to continue with the Black Sabbath album and reunion tour, until a "signable" contract is drawn up that "reflects some dignity and respect toward me as an original member of the band". This is his full message:

"Dear Sabbath Fans, Fellow Musicians and Interested Parties,

At this time, I would love nothing more than to be able to proceed with the Black Sabbath album and tour. However, I am unable to continue unless a "signable" contract is drawn up; a contract that reflects some dignity and respect toward me as an original member of the band. Last year, I worked diligently in good faith with Tony, Ozzy and Geezer. And on 11/11/11, again in good faith, I participated in the L.A. press conference. Several days ago, after nearly a year of trying to negotiate, another "unsignable" contract was handed to me.

Let me say that although this has put me in some kind of holding pattern, I am packed and ready to leave the U.S. for England. More importantly, I definitely want to play on the album, and I definitely want to tour with Black Sabbath.

Since the news of Tony's illness, and the understanding that the band would move production to the U.K., I've spent everyday getting to or living in a place of readiness to leave. That involves something of a task, and as I've tried to find out what's going on with the U.K. sessions, I've realized that I've been getting "the cold shoulder" (and, I might add, not for the first time). Feeling somewhat ostracized, my guess is as of today, I will know nothing of what's happening unless I sign "the unsignable contract."

The place I'm in feels lousy and lonely because as much as I want to play and participate, I also have to stand for something and not sign on. If I sign as-is, I stand to lose my rights, dignity and respectability as a rock musician. I believe in freedom and freedom of speech. I grew up in a hard rock/metal band. We stood for something then, and we played from the heart with honesty and sincerity. I am in the spirit of integrity, far from the corporate malady, I am real and honest, fair and compassionate.

If I'm replaced, I have to face you, the beloved Sabbath fans. I hope you will not hold me responsible for the failure of an original Black Sabbath lineup as promoted. Without fault finding, I want to assure everyone that my loyalty to Sabbath is intact.

So here I am. I lay my truth down before you. I'm good to go IF I get a "signable" contract. I don't want to let anyone down, especially Black Sabbath and all the Sabbath fans. You know I love you. It would be a sad day in Rock if this current situation fell to the desires of a few.

My position is not greed-driven. I'm not holding out for a "big piece" of the action (money) like some kind of blackmail deal. I'd like something that recognizes and is reflective of my contributions to the band, including the reunions that started fourteen years ago. After the last tour I vowed to never again sign on to an unreasonable contract. I want a contract that shows some respect to me and my family, a contract that will honor all that I've brought to Black Sabbath since its beginning.

That's the story so far.

Stay safe and stay strong.

I love every single one of you.

--Bill Ward"

A message has been posted on the Black Sabbath Facebook today in response:

"We were saddened to hear yesterday via Facebook that Bill declined publicly to participate in our current Black Sabbath plans...we have no choice but to continue recording without him although our door is always open... We are still in the UK with Tony. Writing and recording the new album and on a roll... See you at Download!!!

- Tony, Ozzy and Geezer"

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Black Sabbath

Posted: 03.02.2012 by Baz Anderson

Comments

Lit. - 03.02.2012 at 22:24
Not much of a reunion now, is it?
Xnoybis - 03.02.2012 at 22:26
They've made enough cash at this point... should just split everything to 25% each of whatever the band's share is.
Mattybu - 03.02.2012 at 22:47
Written by Xnoybis on 03.02.2012 at 22:26

Agreed, but then again with Sharon around I don't think this would ever be expected.

My money is on Ozzy having at least 50%.
AndMetalForAll - 03.02.2012 at 23:17
Tough luck, one of the biggest reunions in metal history spoiled...
Angelic Storm - 03.02.2012 at 23:23
Written by Mattybu on 03.02.2012 at 22:47

My money is on Ozzy having at least 50%.

Yep, with Sharon around, there'd be no chance of every member getting an equal share. I say Sharon specifically here, as I believe Ozzy himself would have no problem splitting the money evenly amongst all the band members. I doubt Ozzy's share is that great, or Geezer and Tony probably wouldn't have signed on for that. It would appear at the least, that Bill has been offered substantially less money than any of the other 3 members, in which case, I can understand his feelings. The only way I could accept no Bill Ward in the reunion, is if he wasn't physically capable of playing, or he was no longer with us. Seeing as neither of these things is the case, to me there is no "reunion" without Bill Ward, and it makes me far less interested in it now than I was previously.
vezzy - 03.02.2012 at 23:24
Should have seen it coming. All the legal drama, and all of a sudden they want to reunite...
Rulatore - 03.02.2012 at 23:42
He might have his reasons to do this, but at the point of view of many, he looks like an asshole Also, why that interview and all the shit before the contracts and stuff ?
Angelic Storm - 03.02.2012 at 23:53
Written by Rulatore on 03.02.2012 at 23:42

Were it not for the fact that Sharon almost certainly had something to do with the contents of this contract, he may indeed come off looking like an asshole. As it is, I feel it is highly likely he does have a right to feel aggrieved. As for the second part of your comment, Bill was probably not prepared for the tiny slice of the pie he would be recieving. lol
Unhealer - 04.02.2012 at 00:26
Written by Mattybu on 03.02.2012 at 22:47

My money is on Ozzy having at least 50%.

I actually think it's more like Ozzy 40%, Iommi 40% and 10% for Butler and Ward, the later two being treated as the "replaceable". Just that Ward is not accepting this.

Think about it, reunion would still be happening without Iommi or Ozzy? I can see it happening without Butler and right now you are seeing what is happening without Ward... but the other two playing together are "the main attraction", for most people at least.
Bad English - 04.02.2012 at 00:39
They shood relise one or 2 good old vein doomy albums and no tour at all, then let they go
Apothecary - 04.02.2012 at 00:39
Tony has lymphoma, Bill's getting pissy about respect to him... it's only a matter of time before this whole reunion thing falls to shit.
SSM - 04.02.2012 at 00:51
Reunion or Ruinion?
RavenKing - 04.02.2012 at 01:00
Written by Apothecary on 04.02.2012 at 00:39

it's only a matter of time before this whole reunion thing falls to shit.

I expected nothing else.
Now it looks like these old farts are starting to fight among themselves one more time. Makes me laugh.
John Sandman - 04.02.2012 at 01:29
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sharon that evil c...
Frankthetank727 - 04.02.2012 at 03:15
Am I the only one who thought Black Sabbath's response post was more asshole-ish than Bill Ward's? This whole facebook bickering event seems really childish....
M C Vice - 04.02.2012 at 03:17
Written by Unhealer on 04.02.2012 at 00:26

Written by Mattybu on 03.02.2012 at 22:47

My money is on Ozzy having at least 50%.

Geezer Butler wrote most of the lyrics to their first 8 albums. He's not replacable (in songwriting, at least).
It may not be the fault of Ozzy/Sharon. With the musician turnover Sabbath had in the 80s and 90s, Iommi may be the one responsible.
Anyway, will it be Vinnie Apiece or Eric Singer who'll be brought in?
NocturnalStalker - 04.02.2012 at 05:49
Well, it did seem too good to be true. I just hope this reunion won't start crumbling from this point on...
Cynic Metalhead - 04.02.2012 at 07:42
Written by AndMetalForAll on 03.02.2012 at 23:17

Tough luck, one of the biggest reunions in metal history spoiled...

What if I say this is a publicity stunt??!! Pure stunt..!! He gonna be back and will be back with the bang. It's just that they spit this news in to grab some news and headlines all over the fucking newspapers/ mag/ websites etc. IMO Bill will be back.
Loathera - 04.02.2012 at 09:37
The way Bill is speaking about this, it appears not to be about the money at all. He keeps asking for respect as a musician. Likely the contract, decreases his say in the band, creatively. Maybe Tony or (much more likely) Ozzy has final say on all band related business (which songs make the album, how much touring to do etc. etc.)
graceB - 04.02.2012 at 10:05
I kinda like it. Though, it sounds not really a reunion.
Jan - 04.02.2012 at 14:30
Not the same with out Ward. Makes me kinda sorry I bought those tickets... :-(
Milena - 04.02.2012 at 15:15
This leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Scuzzy McDouche - 04.02.2012 at 15:47
That's a real shame...without Bill Ward, it is not a reunion, it's simply Ozzy rejoining the band. However, I honestly wouldn't mind hearing a new album with Ozzy, and possibly with Vinny Appice on drums.
Xim - 04.02.2012 at 20:32
I like Vinny Appice more, but I want there to be a full reunion. I'm on Bill's side on this though, he shouldn't let people jerk him around like that. But I think that the rest of the band members should try and fight for him.
Milena - 04.02.2012 at 20:38
Here's an interesting article on the topic... it's not groundbreaking new information but it is a good read.
Lethean - 04.02.2012 at 22:38
Gee !! his band mates should have been on his side instead of that unfair message on facebook, the band owes him so much, he was a dedicated member wasn't he? why is that, he is talking of respect not money...it was sad to read this
Dedcalm - 04.02.2012 at 22:49
Written by Frankthetank727 on 04.02.2012 at 03:15

Cant believe they didnt give him what he wanted. We all need respect, They have walked away and ruined this reunion not Bill.
ryche76 - 05.02.2012 at 01:24
Cant say I am not surprised this happened. My question is..."Why didn't they all agree to a binding contract before all four of them got back together so no legal BS can occur ?? OOOHHHHH that's right Sharon 'control freak' Osborne wouldn't have anything to do with that unless majority goes to Ozzy !!!!
Dedcalm - 05.02.2012 at 02:05
Lets be honest. We all share a mutual hatred of the OZ bitch, but to be fair we don't know this is her fault. Plus Bill did say this isnt a money issue. We don't know the whole story and probably never willl. I'm hoping that the rest of Sbbath didn't find out through Facebook cause if they di thats a bit s**ty on Bills part.
The Shape 1973 - 05.02.2012 at 13:35
Looks doomed to failure judging by the tone of the rest of the bands comment. I have always been more of a Vinny fan anyway, so not going to lose any sleep.

After seeing the documentary "God Bless Ozzy Osbourne" Ozzy's voice is so bad now I wouldn't want to see him sing anyway. Compared to the reunion with RJD it will probably be really disappointing.
Milena - 06.02.2012 at 00:46
Written by The Shape 1973 on 05.02.2012 at 13:35

Compared to the reunion with RJD it will probably be really disappointing.

That's one of the things I regret - never seeing RJD live. If he were alive they would probably just continue with Heaven and Hell (well probably) and we wouldn't be hearing any of this shit.
The Shape 1973 - 06.02.2012 at 20:25
Written by Milena on 06.02.2012 at 00:46

Written by The Shape 1973 on 05.02.2012 at 13:35

Compared to the reunion with RJD it will probably be really disappointing.

I've been lucky enough to have seen him three times. Twice with Dio and once with Heaven And Hell. As far as I'm concerned he is/was the best, most popular and influential metal singer and an alround nice bloke. Can't say the same for Ozzy, drunken has been is more accurate.
Ozman - 06.02.2012 at 20:31
Written by The Shape 1973 on 06.02.2012 at 20:25

...and an alround nice bloke.

That actually wasn't the case. He was nice to journalists and fans, to a certain degree., but he was a majore asshole to most of his band mates.
The Shape 1973 - 06.02.2012 at 20:39
Written by Ozman on 06.02.2012 at 20:31

Written by The Shape 1973 on 06.02.2012 at 20:25

...and an alround nice bloke.

I just tell it as I have seen it. He always seemed to be a very humble man on stage and took time to talk to his fans. I know that he was a perfectionist and very passionate about the quality of his music. Maybe that is why he was a little intolerant at times. I have heard some things he said that were negative about Vivian Campbell, something about Chicken soup I think, and that Craig Goldie couldn't write songs but was a brilliant guitarist.

I respected him and his music has given me years of pleasure and has steered the direction of what i listen to now.
Valentin B - 06.02.2012 at 20:40
There's a certain mystique about the thought of seeing Sabbath live with all 4 original members still going at it after 43 years.

I would have liked to see Ward in this, but if they can't resolve the media bullshit whatever, let them get Appice, he was pretty good in Heaven and Hell. The truth is, Ward is imo the only original Sabbath member who doesn't have anything groundbreaking attached to his name: Ozzy had that chromatic and bluesy vocal style, Iommi had the downtuned heavy distorted guitar, Butler had complex and powerful bass lines, but there's something we need to face here.. Ward was by far the most expendable of the 4 guys, and (imo) the only member without which the sound wouldn't be all that different.

I saw Heaven and Hell 2 and a half years ago and I can guarantee the only way a show could go wrong would be if Ozzy misses "too many" notes if you know what I mean. I'm pretty sure if (god helping) Iommi's condition improves, then it's gonna be an absolutely epic show when it comes to instrumentation (especially if they get Appice on drums) and a few cringes here and there when Ozzy hits and misses those high notes.
Ozman - 06.02.2012 at 20:56
Written by Valentin B on 06.02.2012 at 20:40

Damn, you never really listened well to Ward's drumming which was both bluesy and jazzy at the same time. The sound of the band changed a lot after he left. Just have a normal listen to stuff before and after Ward and you'll hear it. If not, then you are certainly deaf
Cynic Metalhead - 07.02.2012 at 13:20

It gonna be the same. I am telling you all....
Robstar - 09.02.2012 at 22:26
That really sucks ... At the end is all about money that's a fact
s7mon - 12.02.2012 at 16:59
If Bill's out, then please hire someone that actually had something to do with Sabbath in the past. Vinny Appice maybe?
JohnDoe - 12.02.2012 at 22:28
Written by Ozman on 06.02.2012 at 20:56

Written by Valentin B on 06.02.2012 at 20:40

Bill Ward is as important as everyone else in the classic line up. I agree with Marcel.
Cynic Metalhead - 17.02.2012 at 07:29
My dad is the one is who is very disappointed and is against this re-union. listen to my dad's /rant Saabaaaaths!

News Black Sabbath - No Reunion In The Works 9 14.02.2011 by
News Black Sabbath - The Dio Year's Album Details 7.5 17.02.2007 by Syk
News Black Sabbath - No Reunion After All 7.5 16.08.2011 by Jack---
News Ozzy Osbourne Discusses About The Possibility Of A Black Sabbath Reunion! 7 07.05.2011 by Jiri
Albums Black Sabbath - The Eternal Idol 6 28.02.2010 by 13Footlevel