So February, Leap Day and all, has come and gone. Your votes have been tallied and your winners have been announced. You can find the results here.

Feel free to discuss the results below.

Metal Storm Staff

Posted: 01.03.2012 by BitterCOld

Comments

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6

3rdWorld - 01.03.2012 at 00:29

Wolves in the throne room ??!!!! i m Playing it now to see what people found so awesome in it.
Alex Fenger - 01.03.2012 at 00:38
I don't see why Lulu didn't win BM album of the year. But yeah Wolves In The Throne Room should not have won.
!J.O.O.E.! - 01.03.2012 at 00:41
Written by Alex Fenger on 01.03.2012 at 00:38

Why not? I didn't vote for it but it's a rare occasion where a popular choice is also a very high quality record at the same time.
Fredd - 01.03.2012 at 00:43
Gg all
Fade To Black - 01.03.2012 at 00:47
More often then not my choice wasn't picked but i feel in the majority of the categories a decent album won. However i did disagree with
In Flames - Alt Metal
Whitesnake - Hard Rock
Korn - Electronic
Symphony x -Prog
Marcel Hubregtse - 01.03.2012 at 00:47
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 01.03.2012 at 00:41

Written by Alex Fenger on 01.03.2012 at 00:38

JOOE don't you see... it shouldn't have won cause it's hipster black metal and isn't orthodox and actually consost of people who have something to say
Heka69 - 01.03.2012 at 00:47
Fleshgod over Benighted? I fucking hate you people.
Heka69 - 01.03.2012 at 00:50
And how on any level is Lulu a letdown? Did someone ever EXPECT it to be GOOD? Wtf people, you are illogical as a blue bear wearing my boxers.
tea[m]ster - 01.03.2012 at 00:52
Dirge SEVENTH in post-metal voting? I listened to ALL of them and my second choice was Obscure Phoenix which was in SIXTH? I need to quit caring what other people think...

Did this catagory have the closest voting? I mean all of choices got a fair share amount of votes.
Lawre - 01.03.2012 at 00:53
And here I was expecting Insomnium and Omnium Gatherum to (rightfully) surpass Amon Amarth in the melodeath category. Oh well, that's life. I've learned my lesson and henceforth I will only expect popular bands to win.
Nevertheless it's been a great pleasure to find new awesome albums I didn't know about before such as: Sleestak, Uneven Structure, Tesseract, Falloch, Before the Rain, Obscure Sphinx, Corrupted, Earth, Myrath, Haken and Brymir. My sincerest gratitudes to the staff who arranged this and made these discoveries possible!
Rulatore - 01.03.2012 at 00:55
Written by Heka69 on 01.03.2012 at 00:50

LOL

Seriously, I'm might missed something with that Amorphis' one, THAT good ? Also, Machine Head best tharsh of the year ?
Marcel Hubregtse - 01.03.2012 at 00:57
Written by Heka69 on 01.03.2012 at 00:50

,,,, you are illogical as a blue bear wearing my boxers.

actually that is more logical
BlueMobius - 01.03.2012 at 00:58
Several of my picks won, several didn't. The usual. Though a few surprised me, especially the Amon Amarth win. Not that the album was bad. I just thought it wasn't as good as previous efforts. Kind of surprised to see the Korn win too. The metalgaze genre looked like it must have been fun to watch. A really close race there. Deafheaven was my pick and I'm stoked about seeing them next month. Mastodon's win was no surprise but, even though I enjoyed The Hunter, I had to go with Subrosa. I'm glad to see Jari was spared the biggest letdown win too. LOL. I think my biggest disappointment is in the death metal genre.
Dangerboner - 01.03.2012 at 00:58
Written by Heka69 on 01.03.2012 at 00:47

Fleshgod over Dim Mak? I fucking hate you people.

fixed
Lit. - 01.03.2012 at 00:59
Bigest Surprise: Whitesnake winning Hard Rock. Interesting. I'll take a listen to it.
Biggest Letdown: Korn over KMFDM. Seriously? WTF people?!
Mr. Doctor - 01.03.2012 at 01:00
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2012 at 00:47

Man those kvlt kids are hilarious

Written by Heka69 on 01.03.2012 at 00:50

THANK YOU. I still can't believe how some people clearly don't know enough english to understand what "let down" actually means...

Written by tea[m]ster on 01.03.2012 at 00:52

I was a bit sad too but I definitely did NOT expect Dirge to win at all. The category was hella fun if you ask me! What a tight race!
Milena - 01.03.2012 at 01:01
Written by Lit. on 01.03.2012 at 00:59

It's not a bad album at all, but hard rock has seen better this year in my opinion. Still, even though they won for the name, there's a nice nostalgic album behind it... pretty similar to the one they issued in 2008.
Dark Blood - 01.03.2012 at 01:04
Well seems there are a few weird choices. I don't agree with most of them but then again the most known bands always have the advantage when it comes to votes...

Now I want the staff awards!
Marcel Hubregtse - 01.03.2012 at 01:06
Written by Dark Blood on 01.03.2012 at 01:04

Now I want the staff awards!

And that is when the true bitching and moaning starts
I can't wait for that
IronAngel - 01.03.2012 at 01:07
Haha, who are these people that vote? 500 votes for Mastodon, but there are barely a 100 active posters on MS. Do people with awful music tastes just come by to vote or something?

I voted Esoteric and it won. That was to be expected. Can't help it, their fame is fully justified. Nothing else I voted came even close to winning. In fact, most of the categories seem like inverted versions of my preference lists.

I went for Terra Tenebrosa, BAN (Desanctification), Sonne Adam, Argus, Esoteric, A Million Dead Birds Laughing, The Devil's Blood (lol, Whitesnake won), Will Haven (no more write-ins of pretty much the pioneers of modern metalcore?), Hell, Dornenreich, Silent Steam of Godless Elegy, Earth, Riverside and Subrosa. 40 Watt Sun for debut of the year, at least that was pretty close.

Sludge is particularly funny. With Subrosa, the bottom four are actually my top five. Same with Metalgaze, I didn't vote because I couldn't decide between Verwüstung and Sleeping Peonies (and maybe An Autumn for Crippled Children or Deafheaven, but not so much).

BM category is cool, most of the albums were really good. But wtf at Long Distance Calling taking the post-metal prize? O_o People really need to listen to post-rock more.

Too bad about Solstafir. They got their votes spread over three categories, if I'm not mistaken. Two at the very least.
Mr. Doctor - 01.03.2012 at 01:08
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2012 at 01:06
And that is when the true bitching and moaning starts
I can't wait for that

Exactly... They get totally mad at us for having better taste
Marcel Hubregtse - 01.03.2012 at 01:10
Written by IronAngel on 01.03.2012 at 01:07

believe it or not MS does not evolve around active posters. Most of the traffic on MS is by non-posters, the forum is just a tiny part of MS. I know loads of people who visit MS regularly and didn't even know there was a forum.
Risto - 01.03.2012 at 01:13
Written by Rulatore on 01.03.2012 at 00:55

Seriously, I'm might missed something with that Amorphis' one, THAT good ?

That category lacked contest this year because there's not much modernly relevant stuff. Saxon being second should underline that.
Mr. Doctor - 01.03.2012 at 01:13
Written by IronAngel on 01.03.2012 at 01:07

I believe we already discussed this:

We felt it was good for a nomination... we wondered where it could go. Post-metal was the only one close enough. the staff/elite (at least those who were working on the nominations for that category) is well aware of what post-rock is.
BitterCOld - 01.03.2012 at 01:13
Written by IronAngel on 01.03.2012 at 01:07

the thing with write-ins is it could be the same people writing them in each category. there is no guarantee that anyone listed them only once...
Marcel Hubregtse - 01.03.2012 at 01:15
Written by Mr. Doctor on 01.03.2012 at 01:13

Written by IronAngel on 01.03.2012 at 01:07

I believe we already discussed this:

and there is enough metal in there to warrant it there.
Marcel Hubregtse - 01.03.2012 at 01:17
Written by Risto on 01.03.2012 at 01:13

Written by Rulatore on 01.03.2012 at 00:55

Seriously, I'm might missed something with that Amorphis' one, THAT good ?

I would say all the rest of the nominees there were way more relevant than Amorphis because those were better albums
Amorphis only won because of it's name. If we had nominated Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier, even though it was from the wrong year it would have won easily.
Milena - 01.03.2012 at 01:17
Btw.
There were four write-ins for Subsignal in prog... I was one of them and JohnDoe was the other. The other anonymous two get a big thank you from me
Amatsu Mikaboshi - 01.03.2012 at 01:20
Amon Amarth again? Faok off... Surtur Rising was a honest letdown.

Amon Amarth didn't deserve their win in my opinion, same for Lulu as the runner-ups were more deserving.

Am I the only one who genuinely really liked Heritage? Ixion sounds really cool and others I mean to list down in my mean-to-check-out list!
tea[m]ster - 01.03.2012 at 01:23
Written by Milena on 01.03.2012 at 01:17

Btw.

Ummm, I was one of the two sweetheart. You being a staff/elite cannot see who members voted for?
tea[m]ster - 01.03.2012 at 01:26
Written by IronAngel on 01.03.2012 at 01:07

My top three post-albums (on the list anyways) were Dirge, Obscure Phoenix and Endname all got voted towards the bottom...why do not people listen to us Iron?
Milena - 01.03.2012 at 01:26
Written by tea[m]ster on 01.03.2012 at 01:23

I was guessing it was you *high five and a virtual cupcake* no, no one can see that. I have the right perms to edit the Awards but still can't see it, I only knew of John because he told me
Void Eater - 01.03.2012 at 01:28
This is just a popularity contest. Curious about the staff awards though, probably some good stuff that I missed in there.
tea[m]ster - 01.03.2012 at 01:28
Ahhh all right. I wish that band and album would get more attention!
Milena - 01.03.2012 at 01:30
Written by tea[m]ster on 01.03.2012 at 01:28

Ahhh all right. I wish that band and album would get more attention!

If you're talking about Subsignal... we'll spam with it, year after year and you shall see results what I'm a bit disappointed about is that Lyr and I spammed with Shadowside all over the place... I even mentioned it in an unrelated review ffs... I didn't expect it to win but so few votes :/
basquetal - 01.03.2012 at 01:37
In gothic metal Draconian only won because of the fame, the second Abyss masterpiece - Heavenwood album is much better
Dark Blood - 01.03.2012 at 01:48
Written by Amatsu Mikaboshi on 01.03.2012 at 01:20

Amon Amarth again? Faok off... Surtur Rising was a honest letdown.

Agree. Agree.

And no, you're not. I loved Heritage and I know there are more of us out there. But it seems the mass audience is allergic to changes. Unfortunately. But hey, at least they won for biggest surprise. That's good.
Marcel Hubregtse - 01.03.2012 at 01:52
Written by Dark Blood on 01.03.2012 at 01:48

. But it seems the mass audience is allergic to changes.

That's not the reason for most to dislike the album or else they would also have hated Damnation.
What Opeth did here was change for the worse. Now purely copying their heroes from the 60s and 70s yet without the class those bands possessed.
Paradox0 - 01.03.2012 at 01:53
As usual plenty of popular groups won but strangely enough I don't think I've seen so many of my own votes win.....and once a again a safe album wins avante-garde metal category.
Marcel Hubregtse - 01.03.2012 at 01:55
Written by Paradox0 on 01.03.2012 at 01:53

.....and once a again a safe album wins avante-garde metal category.

Same for most categories black, death, doom, extreme doom, gothic, thrash, progressive, melodeath, stoner/sludge. Need I go on?
Milena - 01.03.2012 at 01:57
Written by Dark Blood on 01.03.2012 at 01:48

But hey, at least they won for biggest surprise. That's good.

Well actually, it's not good, since the greatest surprise means "wow, the previous couple of albums were quite the letdown, we didn't see this coming, we thought it would be crap"... and as much as I recall, everyone was pretty thrilled about the new Opeth release when they first heard it would be out.
Marcel Hubregtse - 01.03.2012 at 02:05
Written by Milena on 01.03.2012 at 01:57

Written by Dark Blood on 01.03.2012 at 01:48

But hey, at least they won for biggest surprise. That's good.

Nope surprise could als be used in a negative way. Damn I am surprised how shit this album is after the last couple.
Milena - 01.03.2012 at 02:09
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2012 at 02:05

...negative way.

Which is why we have the letdown.
Dark Blood - 01.03.2012 at 02:10
Written by Milena on 01.03.2012 at 01:57

Written by Dark Blood on 01.03.2012 at 01:48

But hey, at least they won for biggest surprise. That's good.

But then isn't that a good thing for the album, specifically? But I didn't see that category that way. More like, biggest surprise for being surprisingly different from previous albums. In this case in a good way. At least that's how I saw it, maybe I misinterpreted it.
Milena - 01.03.2012 at 02:12
Written by Dark Blood on 01.03.2012 at 02:10

...maybe I misinterpreted it.

Well it seems that everyone has a different interpretation... I'll probably root for those cat's being excluded from 2012 Awards, but I don't think that will happen
Marcel Hubregtse - 01.03.2012 at 02:13
Written by Milena on 01.03.2012 at 02:09

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2012 at 02:05

...negative way.

Which is why we have the letdown.

A negative surprise doesn't have to be a letdown. Like it was a surprise David Gold passed away. Not a letdwon because I wasn't expecting a thing.
Dark Blood - 01.03.2012 at 02:16
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2012 at 02:05

Isn't that supposed to be in the letdown category? lol I'm confused now.

Either way see this surprise as a positive... Maybe I'm terribly wrong.
Milena - 01.03.2012 at 02:17
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2012 at 02:13

Well, to be fair, those categories should be limited to what people do instead of what happens to them.
Marcel Hubregtse - 01.03.2012 at 02:17
Written by Dark Blood on 01.03.2012 at 02:16

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2012 at 02:05

Isn't that supposed to be in the letdown category? lol I'm confused now.

Either way see this surprise as a positive... Maybe I'm terribly wrong.

The death of people are negative surprises for me not letdowns.
Marcel Hubregtse - 01.03.2012 at 02:18
Written by Milena on 01.03.2012 at 02:17

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2012 at 02:13

Nope I think it shouldn't.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6