So February, Leap Day and all, has come and gone. Your votes have been tallied and your winners have been announced. You can find the results here.

Feel free to discuss the results below.

Metal Storm Staff

Posted: 01.03.2012 by BitterCOld

Comments page 2 of 6

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Darkside Momo - 01.03.2012 at 02:19
Written by tea[m]ster on 01.03.2012 at 01:23

Ummm, I was one of the two sweetheart. You being a staff/elite cannot see who members voted for?

No we don't, most of us can however see the numbers
Xnoybis - 01.03.2012 at 02:21
I've always viewed letdown/surprise as album related categories...

the one that i laugh at is the people whining that King Diamond has no plans for UK/DK in 2012. how can something that hasn't happened yet this year be a let down for last year?
Milena - 01.03.2012 at 02:23
Written by Ozman on 01.03.2012 at 02:18

Nope I think it shouldn't.

But then you'll have the situations where surprises have both positive and negative surprises and letdowns have what people have freely interpreted as a letdown.
Ozman - 01.03.2012 at 02:24
Written by Xnoybis on 01.03.2012 at 02:21

I've always viewed letdown/surprise as album related categories...

that's up to the individual casting the vote. Some will go about it your way, others won't.
And tbh I can't even remember what I voted myself in thsoe two

Quote:

That is of course totally retarded.
Dark Blood - 01.03.2012 at 02:24
Written by Milena on 01.03.2012 at 02:12

Written by Dark Blood on 01.03.2012 at 02:10

...maybe I misinterpreted it.

Well it seems that everyone has a different interpretation... I'll probably root for those cat's being excluded from 2012 Awards, but I don't think that will happen

Yeah... I don't see that happening either. But I don't mind these categories, it's good to have some variety and that's why I love the MS award.
Ozman - 01.03.2012 at 02:25
Written by Milena on 01.03.2012 at 02:23

Written by Ozman on 01.03.2012 at 02:18

Nope I think it shouldn't.

Yes, so what?
Don't you want anything to bitch,, moan and whine about next year?
Milena - 01.03.2012 at 02:29
Written by Ozman on 01.03.2012 at 02:25

Yes, so what?

Just as I typed that, I realized that's exactly the situation we have on our hands right now
Silly Marcel, you underestimate my bitching powers... if everything was perfect, I'd bitch about it not being the other way like every good human being
Rog-Mothoth - 01.03.2012 at 02:38
Now im just glad i dont have to see Septicflesh at the top of 11' every day
Annnnyway i only voted in the thrash catigory for Vektor (lost to MH unseprisingly but 2nd place is not bad at all and i call it a win in my book), i just didnt feel the urge or time to discover new albums....which i'll definately do this year to compensate.
Amatsu Mikaboshi - 01.03.2012 at 02:51
Written by Ozman on 01.03.2012 at 02:18

Written by Milena on 01.03.2012 at 02:17

Written by Ozman on 01.03.2012 at 02:13

A negative surprise doesn't have to be a letdown. Like it was a surprise David Gold passed away. Not a letdwon because I wasn't expecting a thing.

Well, to be fair, those categories should be limited to what people do instead of what happens to them.

Nope I think it shouldn't.

Surprises are always going to be interpretable and opinionated with ether positive or negative function, rather than letdowns everytime. Because when they happen, it's always going to be a step into shit.
Mattybu - 01.03.2012 at 02:52
Biggest letdown of the year was kind of a surprise. Other than that though most categories seemed like the expectable candidate won. Good to see Fleshgod on there though, that was the only winning vote I cast
Ozman - 01.03.2012 at 02:57
Written by Mattybu on 01.03.2012 at 02:52

if there ever was an album the dm category this year that totally had no right to win it certainly was Fleshgod imo
Absak - 01.03.2012 at 02:59
Written by Ozman on 01.03.2012 at 02:57

Written by Mattybu on 01.03.2012 at 02:52

True that. Some of these outcomes are extremely facepalm worthy.
Mattybu - 01.03.2012 at 02:59
Written by Ozman on 01.03.2012 at 02:57

Written by Mattybu on 01.03.2012 at 02:52

....To each his own I suppose. I really, really enjoyed that one.

I'd say having fucking Machine Head win for thrash is a worse crime.
Ozman - 01.03.2012 at 03:03
At least that one had some quality to it and wasn't as contrived and plastic as Fleshgod.
Btw I did not vote for MH and I found it lot better than most of the nominees in thrash.
Paradox0 - 01.03.2012 at 03:09
Written by Ozman on 01.03.2012 at 01:55

Written by Paradox0 on 01.03.2012 at 01:53

.....and once a again a safe album wins avante-garde metal category.

Same for most categories black, death, doom, extreme doom, gothic, thrash, progressive, melodeath, stoner/sludge. Need I go on?

Yes the same as other categories, but I guess I have some romantic notion that the advante-garde category would at least be something way out there. Maybe I'm still in shock from '08/'07.
Darkside Momo - 01.03.2012 at 03:10
Written by Ozman on 01.03.2012 at 03:03

I don't see anything contrived or plastic about Fleshgod Apocalypse, I think it was a huge step forward compared to their first album (at least the sympho stuff made sense in the songs). That said, I would rather have seen someone else winning, like our staff pick (no names yet)
And didn't vote for MH either, as it was one of 2011's worst letdowns for me
Darkside Momo - 01.03.2012 at 03:11
Written by Paradox0 on 01.03.2012 at 03:09

Well, even if the vote is definitely on the safe side, I'm still mightily proud of the avant-garde nominees this year.
Absak - 01.03.2012 at 03:13
Written by Darkside Momo on 01.03.2012 at 03:10

I want to strangle someone right now.
Ozman - 01.03.2012 at 03:23
Written by Darkside Momo on 01.03.2012 at 03:10

Written by Ozman on 01.03.2012 at 03:03

And didn't vote for MH either, as it was one of 2011's worst letdowns for me

there is only one reason you're proud about the DM staff pick. I would rate that album as their second worst. A decent album but nothing more. BUt am glad to catch them live once again this coming Friday (oops did I say to much as to who it is? )

MH being one of the biggest letdwons for you? For me it was a step up after the overly long and immensely boring The Blackening.
Ozman - 01.03.2012 at 03:24
Written by Absak on 01.03.2012 at 03:13

Written by Darkside Momo on 01.03.2012 at 03:10

I want to strangle someone right now.

I am guessing it is the cheese smelly garlic eating Frog and not the clog wearing windmill?
BlueMobius - 01.03.2012 at 03:36
Written by Ozman on 01.03.2012 at 01:10

I know loads of people who visit MS regularly and didn't even know there was a forum.

Shhhhhhh! Don't let them in on the secret!
BlueMobius - 01.03.2012 at 03:43
Written by Ozman on 01.03.2012 at 02:17

Written by Dark Blood on 01.03.2012 at 02:16

Isn't that supposed to be in the letdown category? lol I'm confused now.

Either way see this surprise as a positive... Maybe I'm terribly wrong.

The death of people are negative surprises for me not letdowns.

Negative surprises do exist, such as finding a big pile of spit in your sandwich or that your dog has turded all over your bedroom.
Metal_Buff - 01.03.2012 at 03:49
Ugh, Whitesnake over Graveyard?? 338 people should be shot for this

And I think calling LuLu the biggest letdown implies that you expected it to be something other than awful!
Ozman - 01.03.2012 at 04:05
Written by Metal_Buff on 01.03.2012 at 03:49

well loads of people immensely enjoyed Death Magnetic so it's not THAT surprising. Even though I stand by my vision that Metallica never released anything good after Master Of Puppets.
R'Vannith - 01.03.2012 at 04:09
Giant Squid lost by a single vote -.-
sentinel65 - 01.03.2012 at 04:25
Written by Ozman on 01.03.2012 at 04:05

Written by Metal_Buff on 01.03.2012 at 03:49

I voted it as letdown not because I thought it would be good and it was bad, but because I thought it would be bad-ok, and it was utter shit.
Unhealer - 01.03.2012 at 05:27
God, I insanely love that seal.

Well, regarding the awards I think the real winners are mostly the second/third places.
For example, the thrash award. Machine Head??? Besides the fact that I disagree with them being classified as thrash, I'm pretty sure it was mostly voted for being well known. I'll take Vektor as the winner.

Other sections like Metalgaze with no really big names surprised me with how close the first places are in votes. I guess genres like that one got "fair" winners mostly.

I was thinking that maybe users should have to be registered on metal storm at least three months before the awards before voting or something similar. This would probably reduce the "big name effect" a bit ("Oh, my favorite band is nominated in this random website! I'll register to vote it!").
Yet, the MS Awards get more and more people to register here each year so it would not be a wise move probably.

Bitching aside, I've come across several marvelous records thanks to the MS Awards experience. So thanks to all the MS staff for the hard work!
PazuzuSKOM - 01.03.2012 at 06:26
Djent results are so not djent, every true djentlmen will understand my point,,, in post-metal , it was nice to see Russian Circles to show up, but i expected it to take higher place ,, may be it should been nominated in the first place !!
mferrariv - 01.03.2012 at 06:58
Amon Amarth better than Omnium Gatherum.... really? Don't get me wrong, I like Amon Amarth a lot but the latest album from Omnium Gatherum is incredible.
JD - 01.03.2012 at 07:29
Lol at Machin Head wining over Vektor, Havok, Warbringer, Skeletonwitch, and Toxic Holocaust.
JD - 01.03.2012 at 07:31
Written by PazuzuSKOM on 01.03.2012 at 06:26

Djent results are so not djent, every true djentlmen will understand my point

Agreed
silenius - 01.03.2012 at 08:25
Whitesnake better than graveyard, uriah heep, and the devil´s blood..... what tha faaak?
Edmund Fogg - 01.03.2012 at 08:29
Who the hell voted for Symphony X in the Prog category? Bah I guess just like any awards shows recognition doesn't go to the deeserving bands but at least some voters get to discover new stuff
silenius - 01.03.2012 at 08:31
Written by Edmund Fogg on 01.03.2012 at 08:29

well it´s an awesome album, but it didnt deserve to win with a long shot xD.
Edmund Fogg - 01.03.2012 at 08:42
Written by silenius on 01.03.2012 at 08:31

well it´s an awesome album, but it didnt deserve to win with a long shot xD.

No it isn't. Not to my ears anyway. It's flat repetitive uninspired and just plain old boring. When you look at the quality of the other nominees you can truly see the imposter, but then again like any other categories. Maybe the awards is kind of MS yearly marketting campaign.
Nunzie 69 - 01.03.2012 at 08:51
I really wish they had an all out "METAL ALBUM OF THE YEAR" vote.Most of us here listen to more then one type of metal,and I'm interested on who would win.A lot of bands won just on their popularity and not their album,kinda like the Metal Grammy's here and we Metal Heads are supposed to be better then that!!!
Edmund Fogg - 01.03.2012 at 08:59
Written by Nunzie 69 on 01.03.2012 at 08:51

I don't think Staff/Elite would ever agree on the Nominees fopr such a category. Metal is a pretty huge universe. And it would go in line with your Metal Grammy thing. I think it's best to avoid that category
Nunzie 69 - 01.03.2012 at 09:53
Sorry you disagree,but I believe a band or artist should be recognized for his/her accomplishment no matter it's genre.Not only that but there are so many bands that cross categories such as Revocation,Sylosis,Devin Townsend,........Don't see how that would go in line with what they do in the Grammys in less it just becomes a popularity contest.By the way I agree Iconoclast was no prog album ,I picked Leprous's" Bilateral".
Daniell - 01.03.2012 at 09:53
Written by Mattybu on 01.03.2012 at 02:59

I'd say having fucking Machine Head win for thrash is a worse crime.

Oh really. Some of the thrash bands on the list are revivalist copycats who are no more than pale shadows of old, classic bands (Vektor, Warbringer). Some young, but slightly fresher bands like Skeletonwitch or Toxic Holocaust gave us good albums, but they also come short on the originality scale. Other nominees are actually old bands that still manage to release albums that are at least half decent (Megadeth, Onslaught, Destruction). Machine Head, another old band, released a solid album that isn't copying anyone, because it's MH's own, recognizable style. So it doesn't really surprise me that they won.

And, to paraphrase your words, I'd say having fucking Anthrax receive 21 write-in votes is a worse crime.
M C Vice - 01.03.2012 at 09:56
Crap.
Written by M C Vice on 07.02.2012 at 12:30

Now that I'v listened to both albums with the Espenæs sisters competing in the same catagory, I have a declaration:
If Midnattsol don't beat Leaves' Eyes, I'll eat both cds.

Anyone got some bbq sauce?
Good to see that Chthonic won.
Oh, and ICS Vortex in melo black?
M C Vice - 01.03.2012 at 10:14
Written by Nunzie 69 on 01.03.2012 at 08:51

On this site? A thrash band would probably win, it seems to be the most popular genre.
Although a poll on the best album ever would be interesting (everyone nominating 10 albums).
-DC-002- - 01.03.2012 at 10:17
Results are!?.. and dang fang id was pretty confident that Ulcerate would win.
BloodTears - 01.03.2012 at 10:19
It was a good year. Glad Long Distance Calling won and Grayceon got like 30 votes which is good for an unknown band Didn't expect them to win of course.
Valentin B - 01.03.2012 at 10:31
Written by Xnoybis on 01.03.2012 at 02:21

I've always viewed letdown/surprise as album related categories...

That, aside from it being retarded, means that the one who posted it is also completely clueless: KD is playing Sweden Rock Festival, and it's just a max. 2-hour journey from Copenhagen to the festival site.
Kamil - 01.03.2012 at 10:34
Symphony X are kings of progressive metal in 2011
Redactors from Metal-Rules.com should redefine their knowledge, tastes and ideas about metal genre.
Cynic Metalhead - 01.03.2012 at 10:38
Written by Amatsu Mikaboshi on 01.03.2012 at 01:20

Am I the only one who genuinely really liked Heritage? Ixion sounds really cool and others I mean to list down in my mean-to-check-out list!

Honestly, Heritage to me was decent but Opethian's thought this album crashed like anything...so i genuinely accepted. i am amused to see Machine Head sweeping Thrash Metal category which i was in 1/1000 times wasn't even thinking to be a winner. Either it was Havok or Vektor.[Infact, all nominees were awesome.]
K†ulu - 01.03.2012 at 10:39
I was kind of surprised to see Machine Head win the Thrash category. Somehow, I was sure Havok would win; I guess I was too naive.

As far as Symphony X winning, I voted for them myself because at the end of the day, they were just better than anything else (even if not by much).

In the Death category, I guess i'd rather see Vader win than Fleshgod Apocalypse (although I did not spend enough time with either album to really form a complete opinion).
IronAngel - 01.03.2012 at 11:18
Written by Mr. Doctor on 01.03.2012 at 01:13

Written by IronAngel on 01.03.2012 at 01:07
But wtf at Long Distance Calling taking the post-metal prize? O_o People really need to listen to post-rock more.

I believe we already discussed this:

We felt it was good for a nomination... we wondered where it could go. Post-metal was the only one close enough. the staff/elite (at least those who were working on the nominations for that category) is well aware of what post-rock is.

Well, that's another discussion. I'm not commenting on them being nominated, but on 96 people thinking it was the best album in the category. It probably won because it stood out in the category in virtue of its accessability and catchiness. (I'm not saying it's a bad album without good qualities; just pretty mediocre.) For the average joe, it had an advantage when contrasted with bands like Corrupted, Earth or Obscure Sphinx. If you grab a 15-year-old bloke with an Iron Maiden shirt off the street and play them Corrupted, and then play them LDC, it's obvious which they will likely prefer. Doesn't make the latter a better album, though.

But if there was a post-rock category nominating the best post-rock bands of the year, and if the voters actually listened to the samples, can anyone honestly say Long Distance Calling would have gotten many votes? To take a look at what else was released: Grails, *shels, Epic45, Mogwai, MØN, Einar Stray, This Will Destroy You, And So I Watch You From Afar, Junius, Laura, Blueneck, 3epkano, Nils Petter Molvær, Heroin and Your Veins, and some popular garbage like EITS and Russian Circles.

So yes, I think they got 96 votes because they stood out in the category, not because they stood out in the post-rock genre. I do not think even 50 of those 96 people had heard 50% of the albums listed above, which means they really need to listen to post-rock more. I'm not bitching at you for nominating it Just analyzing the results and bashing the unwashed masses, which is what this topic is for.
IronAngel - 01.03.2012 at 11:20
Written by Nunzie 69 on 01.03.2012 at 08:51

If you're interested in the community consensus, just look at the charts for the year. It's not very accurate, of course, but neither would be nominating 10 random albums and letting people vote.
renai - 01.03.2012 at 11:31
Some of my favorite albums of 2011, Theocracy As the World Bleeds, Nightwish Imaginaerum and Riot Immortal Soul.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6