So February, Leap Day and all, has come and gone. Your votes have been tallied and your winners have been announced. You can find the results here.

Feel free to discuss the results below.

Metal Storm Staff

Posted: 01.03.2012 by BitterCOld

Comments page 5 of 6

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

BitterCOld - 03.03.2012 at 00:30
Written by Beckari on 03.03.2012 at 00:23

US beer = a big mistake

which microbrews have you had the luxury of enjoying? i'd be interested in hearing...

________

pardon the return to hijack... although my point seems to have been proven. clearly few people commenting are remotely familiar with what is going on here, USBM or USBeer.
Beckari - 03.03.2012 at 00:45
Written by BitterCOld on 03.03.2012 at 00:30

Written by Beckari on 03.03.2012 at 00:23

US beer = a big mistake

________

Well I'm no beer expert but I suppose I've tried a few
Microbrews.. hmm.. I enjoy trying beers with unique flavors, so I've tried fruit flavored beers, fruli's, although I do occasionally like the more regular beers you see around. This was definitely the same cookie beer I tried http://40beersat40.blogspot.com/2010/11/cookie-beer.html
FoolsuchasI - 03.03.2012 at 00:58
I'm surprised that SHINING's "Förtvivlan, Min Arvedel" didn't win the best video category, let alone crack the final tally! Bummer.
BitterCOld - 03.03.2012 at 02:04
What i have learned is that American microbrews are apparently kvlt...
M C Vice - 03.03.2012 at 03:28
What happened to the drama award? They were funny.
Cynic Metalhead - 03.03.2012 at 07:05
Written by FoolsuchasI on 03.03.2012 at 00:58

I'm not at all surprised to see "Lucifer" taking that award since i voted for Chthonic - Broken Jade which quite honestly horribly landed on 7th spot. The one you mentioned I suppose wasn't even in the list ..anyways...if you dare to say it should' have won..I need to check this fucking out.
NocturnalStalker - 03.03.2012 at 07:51
Written by JCJen7 on 02.03.2012 at 09:09

I guess musically so. But, stylistically, it was nearly the opposite of progressive, considering it pushed nearly no boundaries, and was a slightly altered take on music bands were making 40 years ago. I still really enjoyed it though.

I see your point but still can't agree. Yes, you can clearly see the inspiration here, which comes from various old prog rock bands, but the music itself still has that same Opeth touch to it. I mean, I would recognize that it is Opeth's album even if I didn't know it is.
And, if you're speaking of pushing boundaries, than of all the nominated bands only Leprous and Grayceon do it to some extent. That's why I wrote that Heritage is more progressive than most of the albums that got nominated.
theFIST - 03.03.2012 at 14:04
Written by Beckari on 03.03.2012 at 00:10

Written by theFIST on 01.03.2012 at 23:47

How could chthonic win the melodic black category?
do they have any black elements?
had they won the folk category i"d accept it, but melodic black?????

How would Chthonic count as folk? I don't think I'd class them as that..

they use folk elements in their songs
of course you won"t see it like that if you only count european folk as such, but not the eastern asian that one should rather expect from a folk metal band there
In Bone Factory - 03.03.2012 at 17:19
Lunatic Soul in Alternative - Infestus in Black - Vallenfyre in Death - Heavenwood in Gothic - Graveyard in Hard Rock - Before The Dawn or Insomnium in Melodeath - Skeletonwitch in Thrash should have won
Edmund Fogg - 03.03.2012 at 17:34
Written by theFIST on 03.03.2012 at 14:04

they use folk elements in their songs

They use elements of their own folklore in their music. That is considered as World Music and not Folk.
theFIST - 03.03.2012 at 17:49
Written by Edmund Fogg on 03.03.2012 at 17:34

Written by theFIST on 03.03.2012 at 14:04

they use folk elements in their songs

so you see every folk music except of the one in your area as world music?
that doesn"t make sense
Cynic Metalhead - 03.03.2012 at 17:57
Written by M C Vice on 03.03.2012 at 03:28

What happened to the drama award? They were funny.

Is Biggest Letdown not that enough?/ some of the unexpected winners which came up like anything?!!
Cynic Metalhead - 03.03.2012 at 20:19
Written by Rog-Mothoth on 01.03.2012 at 02:38

Now im just glad i dont have to see Septicflesh at the top of 11' every day
(lost to MH unseprisingly but 2nd place is not bad at all and i call it a win in my book), i just didnt feel the urge or time to discover new albums....which i'll definately do this year to compensate.

Check out Havok's Time is Up and probably your taste in thrash will more grew.
Marcel Hubregtse - 03.03.2012 at 20:24
Written by Edmund Fogg on 03.03.2012 at 17:34

Written by theFIST on 03.03.2012 at 14:04

they use folk elements in their songs

They use elements of their own folklore in their music.

That is exactly what constitutes folk music. World music = folk music.
Milena - 03.03.2012 at 20:31
Written by M C Vice on 03.03.2012 at 03:28

What happened to the drama award? They were funny.

There was no big drama this year.
Rog-Mothoth - 03.03.2012 at 22:37
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 03.03.2012 at 20:19

Written by Rog-Mothoth on 01.03.2012 at 02:38

Now im just glad i dont have to see Septicflesh at the top of 11' every day

Check out Havok's Time is Up and probably your taste in thrash will more grew.

I already checked out a few of thier songs and i really like it but will listen more
Edmund Fogg - 03.03.2012 at 22:41
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.03.2012 at 20:24

That is exactly what constitutes folk music. World music = folk music.

I thought (at least in the Metal scene) Folk reffered to nordic folklore and every other would count in world music
ripped_bong - 04.03.2012 at 02:00
40 watt sun won atleast
omjaimes - 04.03.2012 at 02:44
Written by basquetal on 01.03.2012 at 01:37

In gothic metal Draconian only won because of the fame, the second Abyss masterpiece - Heavenwood album is much better

agree with you! without doubt
omjaimes - 04.03.2012 at 02:54
I would like to see a list of favorites from Staff Members, surely many users voted without really listening to each album, they just chose their favorite bands as expected
Edmund Fogg - 04.03.2012 at 03:33
Written by theFIST on 03.03.2012 at 17:49

So you see every folk music except of the one in your area as world music?
that doesn"t make sense

Even the one in my area (Canada) I consider as world music and not folk. I'm not saying it makes any sense, just the way I see it. Just like it doesn't make sense to have a genre named after a city, but Gothenburg still exist.
theFIST - 04.03.2012 at 10:03
Written by Edmund Fogg on 04.03.2012 at 03:33

Written by theFIST on 03.03.2012 at 17:49

So you see every folk music except of the one in your area as world music?
that doesn"t make sense

well, i"m not for calling it gothenburg either.....
Abattoir - 04.03.2012 at 12:01
The post-metal battle was pretty close one as expected...unfortunately the winner is not my favourite, but still
BloodTears - 04.03.2012 at 12:51
Written by Abattoir on 04.03.2012 at 12:01

Who did you want to win?
Marcel Hubregtse - 04.03.2012 at 13:10
Written by theFIST on 04.03.2012 at 10:03

well, i"m not for calling it gothenburg either.....

Then what? And please don't say melodic death because that one is totally different to Gothenburg, seeing Gothenburg has nothing to do with death metal
theFIST - 04.03.2012 at 13:29
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.03.2012 at 13:10

Written by theFIST on 04.03.2012 at 10:03

well, i"m not for calling it gothenburg either.....

well, why not call melodic bands that are clearly not death metal simply melodic metal?
that would describe their sound in a way that someone who hasn"t heard any of it would already roughly know what to expect
Marcel Hubregtse - 04.03.2012 at 13:32
Written by theFIST on 04.03.2012 at 13:29

I don't see the problem with calling band Gothenburg sine the bands lumped in there more or less share the same sound (which, suprise surprise, originated in Gothenburg) whereas when you look at NWOBHM the sound varies way too much too lump them in together, and of course originally the NWOBHM tag was only used to describe British band that came to the fore in a certain period of time (hence Judas Priest, Motorhead not being NWOBHM)
theFIST - 04.03.2012 at 13:49
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.03.2012 at 13:32

Written by theFIST on 04.03.2012 at 13:29

if you apply that to other genres it gives you weird results, for example most of the well known early thrash bands were from the bay area, why not call the genre bay area metal?
Marcel Hubregtse - 04.03.2012 at 13:59
Written by theFIST on 04.03.2012 at 13:49

There is such a thing as Bay Area Thrash which includes those bands and also Artillery because they clearly had their sound from that area.
And from the biog four of thrash not a single band originated in the Bay Area Although Metallica relocated there early on when Cliff joined
AnGina-- - 04.03.2012 at 14:21
Neurotech should win the cyber and debut MS award, that was a real dissapointment that they didn't.
s_t_s - 04.03.2012 at 15:33
Glad to see In Flames back after releasing some crap (it's not up to Soundtrack to Your escape yet but I don't expect them to come back to that style).

SeptiFlesh and Amon Amarth grow stronger with every new release, just love them !

Big up to Fleshgod Apocalypse Agony, an album and band I have recently discovered and that I REALLY enjoy a lot !!

I think All Shall Perish could have been in the results too :/
The Galactican - 04.03.2012 at 17:16
Written by omjaimes on 04.03.2012 at 02:44

Written by basquetal on 01.03.2012 at 01:37

agree with you! without doubt

Very much agree as well. I love that Heavenwood album and really don't get Draconian at all.
Reaper_Redeamer - 04.03.2012 at 17:57
I was very dissapointed about melodeath category. I am tired to see Amon amarth winning there , even now that an excellent album "one for sorrow" in front of surtur rising, was in the 2nd seat...
BitterCOld - 04.03.2012 at 18:23
Written by omjaimes on 04.03.2012 at 02:54

those will be forthcoming.
chronic-headache - 04.03.2012 at 18:51
Written by Reaper_Redeamer on 04.03.2012 at 17:57

agreed about amon amarth, though I was pulling for Mayan to get 1st.
Czerny Reiter - 04.03.2012 at 19:43
Another MS awards come and gone. Found some really good bands to sink my teeth into (Sleestak, Glorior Belli and Obscure Sphinx stand out). Was disappointed with some of the results but not the ones where it was a foregone conclusion anyway, rather categories like Metalgaze and Post-Metal where the winners didn't have that much star-power to pull them through and whose efforts I thought were really nothing special.
DeathSlyzer - 05.03.2012 at 10:35
NO FOR FUCKS SAKE! NO!! Machine Head is NOT Thrash! Are you MetalStorm people total idiots? How the fuck does MH classify as thrash? You guys are fucking retarded as hell, and I hope you all die!
M C Vice - 05.03.2012 at 12:12
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.03.2012 at 13:32

Written by theFIST on 04.03.2012 at 13:29

Finally, someone doesn't lump Motorhead in the NWOBHM. They pre date it, yet most sources keep putting them there. Thank you.
M C Vice - 05.03.2012 at 12:14
Written by DeathSlyzer on 05.03.2012 at 10:35

Taking it all a bit too seriously, aren't we?
M C Vice - 05.03.2012 at 12:57
Written by Cock is Intruder on 05.03.2012 at 12:18

Written by M C Vice on 05.03.2012 at 12:14

Written by DeathSlyzer on 05.03.2012 at 10:35

Taking it all a bit too seriously, aren't we?

You have to accept that those intelligent guys all have been banned, and only left a bunch of obidient student members here.... What can you expect from these students ? This site should be called "student metal storm".

I've noticed that about 80% of the comments on this site are negative. People always bitching about a song/album/band. My favorites are the ones where people keep complaining about how much a band sucks, yet they keep listeneing to their music and talking about them.
Daniell - 05.03.2012 at 14:43
Written by Milena on 03.03.2012 at 20:31

Written by M C Vice on 03.03.2012 at 03:28

What happened to the drama award? They were funny.

There was no big drama this year.

Apart from the dramatic quality of Heritage of course.
Daniell - 05.03.2012 at 14:44
Written by DeathSlyzer on 05.03.2012 at 10:35

Not sure if trolling or a real moron...
Fleabag - 05.03.2012 at 16:11
Once again staff at METALSTORM, congratulations on a brilliant job done collating and producing the yearly awards. I always look forward to listening and voting on the best metal albums from the previous year. The two bands that I have really got into already, from listening to them for the first time from their nominations in the awards are: Vallenfyre and Rudra. Vallenfyre are a welcome return too old school death metal from an all star line up, whilst Rudra are an amazingly talented technically black metal band from the most unlikely country, with the best album cover.
Marcel Hubregtse - 05.03.2012 at 16:11
Written by M C Vice on 05.03.2012 at 12:12

I think the reason loads of people call them NWOBHM is because Ace Of Spades was released during the boom of NWOBHM same for people calling Judas Priest NWOBHM, because British Steel was released during it and they tried to ride the popularity of NWOBHM by calling their album British
DeathSlyzer - 05.03.2012 at 16:12
Written by Daniell on 05.03.2012 at 14:44

Written by DeathSlyzer on 05.03.2012 at 10:35

Not sure if trolling or a real moron...

Oh, I'm trolling at the same time as I'm spreading facts here...
DeathSlyzer - 05.03.2012 at 16:15
Written by M C Vice on 05.03.2012 at 12:57

Written by Cock is Intruder on 05.03.2012 at 12:18

Written by M C Vice on 05.03.2012 at 12:14

Written by DeathSlyzer on 05.03.2012 at 10:35

Taking it all a bit too seriously, aren't we?

I'm simply bitching because having Machine Head's new offering as the best thrash album is just pure insanity. Machine Head is an ok band that I can listen to sometimes, but they sure as hell are not thrash.
Daniell - 05.03.2012 at 16:19
Written by DeathSlyzer on 05.03.2012 at 16:12

Oh, I'm trolling at the same time as I'm spreading facts here...

I wasn't referring to the issue at hand, but to the tone of your post, and the heartwarming words that you used to describe some of us. Even if MH played polkas and tangos and we put them in extreme doom, you still shouldn't go apeshit over our choice.
Marcel Hubregtse - 05.03.2012 at 16:52
What I find funny is that all those people going apeshit over the fact we deem Machine Head thrash haven't told is what Machine Head plays (according to them)
Cynic Metalhead - 05.03.2012 at 17:38
Written by Daniell on 05.03.2012 at 16:19

Written by DeathSlyzer on 05.03.2012 at 16:12

Oh, I'm trolling at the same time as I'm spreading facts here...

That guy is a complete costly moron who just want to cuts in here to get some publicity by profusely ranting stupidity about MH. Whether it's a Bay Thrash, Groove Thrash Metal or simply put Thrash Metal...he will keep doing like this. Meh.
Daniell - 05.03.2012 at 17:46
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.03.2012 at 16:52

Because they have no bloody clue

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6