Finnish melodic death metallers Before The Dawn have released a new video for the song "Phoenix Rising" and you can watch it below. The song is the first single taken from their upcoming album Rise Of The Phoenix, which will be released on April 27th via Nuclear Blast Records. More album details were previously reported here.

[Also thanks to Cynic Metalhead for sending in this news!]

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Before The Dawn

Posted: 08.03.2012 by Icy

Comments

Milena - 08.03.2012 at 13:03
Not a lot of change in sound... still, if I have to listen to melodeath, I'd prefer something either a bit more soulful or a bit more technical/harsh, this is somewhere in the "mediocre" section of both.

Their new drummer is good.
Milena - 08.03.2012 at 14:32
Written by Guest on 08.03.2012 at 13:52

<fanboyism on> You really need to stay tunned because this album is gonna be huge! Tuomas is a god of metal music! <fanboyism off> More seriously, I am looking forward to listening to their new album even more after being disappointed with Eluveitie and Epica... =/ This new video is really enjoyable because of all these studio-recording and live sequences (yeah, the drummer is a beast :-) and especially because it confirms their new, more melodeath-oriented style. Tuomas evolves his music exactly to my tastes which I find very unique because it is quite usual to me to like just one or two specific record from each artist/band.

I like those videos too, though it's kind of a repetition of the Deathstar Rising video what I found peculiar about this is that I don't see a significant change in style, except for the fact I'm painfully missing Lars' vocals (I'll just go and listen to those four Winds albums I guess )... but I guess fans can have a better perspective than casual listeners.

The new Epica is already out or it's just leaked?
BaneConall - 08.03.2012 at 15:08
This guy just pumps out music like its no one's business.
Until the End - 08.03.2012 at 16:54
I like it more than most of their previous stuff, the lack of clean vocal is a plus point. I'm alright with sparing use of clean vocal but with their other albums it got over used. That being said, their best song to date was 'Wrath' but I think that's because the clean vocal was used sparingly and layered with growls.
Justicelust - 08.03.2012 at 17:14
The drumming is crazy I liked it so much and the end is simply epic
Troy Killjoy - 08.03.2012 at 17:53
Wow this is so different and original compared to every other melo-death band.
Mr. Doctor - 08.03.2012 at 20:35
Written by Milena on 08.03.2012 at 13:03

I think I understand your point but I still find it funny when people request music to be "more soulful" as if it was something that you could just do.
Needless to say I disagree.

Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.03.2012 at 17:53

Wow this is so different and original compared to every other melo-death band.

Which is why it won't be that popular around that scene hehehe.
Troy Killjoy - 08.03.2012 at 20:44
Written by Mr. Doctor on 08.03.2012 at 20:35
Which is why it won't be that popular around that scene hehehe.

I think it will be popular for that reason.

Just look at Omnium Gatherum's latest as an example...
Mr. Doctor - 08.03.2012 at 20:46
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.03.2012 at 20:44

Written by Mr. Doctor on 08.03.2012 at 20:35
Which is why it won't be that popular around that scene hehehe.

I think it will be popular for that reason.

That would be good anyways, considering how stale that genre is, just like regular death metal in general If new shit appeared last year for death metal, maybe the same will happen to melo-death/gothenburg.
Milena - 08.03.2012 at 20:55
Written by Mr. Doctor on 08.03.2012 at 20:35

post

How did I end up typing soulful instead of melodic...
Mr. Doctor - 08.03.2012 at 20:58
Written by Milena on 08.03.2012 at 20:55

Written by Mr. Doctor on 08.03.2012 at 20:35

post

How did I end up typing soulful instead of melodic...

That's quite a typo.... Now it makes some sense. Because you want it more melodic or more harsh so I suppose this album is in the middle section for you?
Milena - 08.03.2012 at 20:59
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.03.2012 at 20:44

Just look at Omnium Gatherum's latest as an example...

OG had a slow build up of popularity... I think their 2011 ratings were earned already around 2007-2008, when they had two very good releases, and at which point the scene wasn't as over-saturated with MD bands as it is now, but people, or rather, melodeathers, are pretty slow. Which is why I will try to avoid a lot of new releases in this time, will save it for awards time.
Milena - 08.03.2012 at 21:05
Written by Mr. Doctor on 08.03.2012 at 20:58

Not a typo, just a brain freeze. Not just melodic, but daaaaaarkly melodic. I prefer a balance in most of the genres I listen to - one of the reasons why I liked MD in the first place is because it gives me a middle ground between extremity (in its early shapes of course) and melodies - but here, I prefer one or the other.

To use an analogy, this is like Bill-the-pony-leaves-the-Fellowship kind of intense, and what I'm looking for is more THEODEN DIED GOOOOD WHY kind of intense.
Mr. Doctor - 08.03.2012 at 21:06
Written by Milena on 08.03.2012 at 21:05

This post

I diidn't understand anything of it. So I'll just say "...totally.":

...Totally.
Milena - 08.03.2012 at 21:08
Written by Mr. Doctor on 08.03.2012 at 21:06

I diidn't understand anything of it. So I'll just say "...totally.":

...Totally.

Okay, could anyone on Rod's wavelength translate my post to him, since I can't?
Mr. Doctor - 08.03.2012 at 21:17
Written by Milena on 08.03.2012 at 21:08

Written by Mr. Doctor on 08.03.2012 at 21:06

I diidn't understand anything of it. So I'll just say "...totally.":

...Totally.

Okay, could anyone on Rod's wavelength translate my post to him, since I can't?

...Wave-five! (I'm watching too much Scrubs lately...)
Troy Killjoy - 08.03.2012 at 21:43
Written by Mr. Doctor on 08.03.2012 at 21:06
...Totally.

Basically she wants a balance. Melody and intensity. But the intensity level set to 11.
Milena - 08.03.2012 at 23:07
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.03.2012 at 21:43

Melody and intensity. But the intensity level set to 11.

Which is not too much to ask of bands at all
Troy Killjoy - 08.03.2012 at 23:20
Written by Milena on 08.03.2012 at 23:07
Which is not too much to ask of bands at all

I think it's an unfair expectation when it comes to bands like Before the Dawn, though. I mean their entire discog is basically a mixture of light-hearted melodic metal and fast-paced aggression. One or two songs here and there on each album have a high intensity level, but intensity is not something that immediately comes to mind when I think of these guys.

Or, more appropriately, this guy.
Mr. Doctor - 08.03.2012 at 23:22
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.03.2012 at 23:20
intensity is not something that immediately comes to mind when I think of melodic death metal.

That would be my opinion though. I agree with the rest though.
Troy Killjoy - 08.03.2012 at 23:30
Written by Mr. Doctor on 08.03.2012 at 23:22
That would be my opinion though. I agree with the rest though.

You know what, that's actually a good FTFY. I can only name maybe a handful of intense melo-death albums.
Mr. Doctor - 08.03.2012 at 23:34
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.03.2012 at 23:30
I can only name maybe a handful of intense melo-death tracks.

FTFY (again).... Okay, that is just me joking this time although sometimes it feels like the albums I would see as intense still have songs that tone the intesity down. Not saying I don't like it though... It's part of the genre after all.
Milena - 08.03.2012 at 23:48
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.03.2012 at 23:20

It's... basically why I don't listen to them a lot. I mean, I still listen to a lot of music that is not intense but it makes up for it in some other ways, while some bands like Before the Dawn are in the middle.

Good points about melodeath you've made (given me some food for thought and my next review), but most of those melodeath bands I listen to are a) pretty boss at maintaining the balance (the way it dances between the melody and extremity brings forth some sharp contrasts) b) make up for the non-offensiveness (which is, I guess, greatly desired by you, almost strictly extreme metal, folks) by bringing towards some extraordinary emotional qualities, if you're willing to look for them.

But even the greatest bands can't expand on that set sound a lot. So we get a lot of the same old, while the "modern" bands are really all about slapping on some average harsh vocs on melodic riffs and drive. Not much thought put into it.
Troy Killjoy - 09.03.2012 at 00:00
Written by Milena on 08.03.2012 at 23:48
Not much thought put into it.

I think with melo-death, especially with the brand Before the Dawn were known for, I enjoy a lot of the stuff that relies heavily on creating a somber atmosphere. Which is probably why I enjoy Insomnium, Be'lakor, and Dark Tranquillity as much as I do.
Milena - 09.03.2012 at 00:08
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.03.2012 at 00:00

We're kinda on the same page here I guess, which is precious - unless I branch out a bit that's one of the rare things we have in common in music
Mr. Doctor - 09.03.2012 at 00:10
This album has definitely a darker vibe than your average melodeath band.
Milena - 09.03.2012 at 00:48
Written by Mr. Doctor on 09.03.2012 at 00:10

This album has definitely a darker vibe than your average melodeath band.

This album isn't out yet
Mr. Doctor - 09.03.2012 at 00:56
Written by Milena on 09.03.2012 at 00:48

Written by Mr. Doctor on 09.03.2012 at 00:10

This album has definitely a darker vibe than your average melodeath band.

This album isn't out yet

I made a typo, I meant band Now we're even.
alfrede110 - 09.03.2012 at 16:38
How many times would they use backstage stuff for making videos?! for God's sake it's enough. Comparing to the videos of Insomnium, they should definitely make a change. Their cool songs deserve better videos.

News Before The Dawn - New Video Online 12 02.11.2008 by BestMetalstormer
News Before The Dawn - Release New Video 11 17.04.2012 by Milena
News Before The Dawn - New Song Online 10.5 26.01.2011 by Locke
News Before The Dawn - New Album Streaming Online 10.5 20.04.2012 by Troy Killjoy
News Before The Dawn - Entire New Album Streaming Online 10.5 22.10.2008 by BestMetalstormer