Yesterday, Finnish extreme power metallers Wintersun's drummer Kai Hahto hinted about a new Wintersun update planned for today, and as promised, the update is here. The band will headline the Heidenfest tour in October/November and the new album will be released in late summer.

The band issued the following statement: "In the last couple of years, the Heidenfest turned out to be a unique and not-to-be-missed tour package when it comes to the biggest names in the field of heathen/viking metal and bands offering you the best in between war anthems and drinking horn frenzy! Which is why the 2012 line up looks like the wet dream of every heathen metal warrior again: headlining will be mighty genre legends Wintersun from Finland! It took mastermind Jari Mäenpää and his brethren exactly one album to write folk and melodic death metal history: Wintersun came out in 2004 and will be followed by a new milestone around the tour."

"We are very excited to announce that we are going to be headlining the 2012 Heidenfest Tour in October. There was some setbacks with the album during the winter (again), but as usual we have managed to ram through them. (Big thanks to our management for helping us through the tough times!). I've been mixing my ass off and things are going smooth and steady now and the album will be released late summer. Stay tuned for bigger updates about the album (or should we say "albums", wink wink!) Jari and the Wintersun boys, cheers!"

Heidenfest 2012: Wintersun, Korpiklaani, Varg, Trollfest and Krampus.

+ Special guests at extended shows*

19.10.2012 - GER - Oberhausen, Turbinenhalle - Extended Show*

Source: wintermadness.net
Band profile: Wintersun

Posted: 16.03.2012 by Array

Comments page 2 of 2

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 [2]

Kuroboshi - 16.03.2012 at 22:13
I'm just happy to finally be able to hear it. Been waiting passively for about 6 years. Many other nice bands to listen to, so I haven't been desperate for it. But it's nice to see it finally out.
chronic-headache - 16.03.2012 at 22:46
About
freaking
time
Doc Godin - 16.03.2012 at 23:16
Hehehe. I'll believe it when I see it.
strade - 16.03.2012 at 23:17
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.03.2012 at 19:58

Written by Milena on 16.03.2012 at 19:54
Well you should lower your expectations then. That would be the sensible thing to do.

Or just not care.

That's the route I'm taking.
Angel_Lament - 16.03.2012 at 23:40
Everytime I see Wintersun's name in new update I laugh so hard...
Milena - 17.03.2012 at 00:05
Written by BlueMobius on 16.03.2012 at 21:43

A post about Wintersun and here come all the "armchair quarterbacks" (as we say in the states) trying to call all the shots and give hindsight instruction on what should have been. Fans and trolls rip on this band all the time for taking years to put out the follow-up album, but has it really been that big of a deal? Life has gone on right? Chill out folks. The most disappointed person probably has to be Jari himself. Seven years of not being able to put out the music he quit a popular folk metal band, which has since put out 2 albums and is readying another, to make the music he wanted to create must be pretty hard. If the album turns out mediocre or bad, it's his legacy that suffers, and seven years of struggling for nothing. I hope success for him, and I'm sick of people gloating in the failure of those who don't deserve it.

I never thought I would agree with you, but here I am, agreeing with you. I mean, holly shit fuck Lucifer, all the updates have spawned at least a few hundreds of "lol I don't care" "lol this is so irrelevant" and similar posts. The fanboys have ruined the opportunity to discuss this band rationally, but so have the people who allegedly don't care. As for the "omg if he doesn't release this I'll be disappointed"... the only people who'll have the right to be disappointed if/when this gets scratched are the band members and their label.
BlueMobius - 17.03.2012 at 00:41
Written by Milena on 17.03.2012 at 00:05

I never thought I would agree with you, but here I am, agreeing with you.

Hell must be freezing over today. Us agreeing, Wintersun announcing Time's release and headlining a tour ...

Oh, on another note. I gleaned some info on the two disc thing from Kai's Facebook account. Seems that the album may be split into two parts due to length or something. He said something on his page (though it was in Finnish and I'm not sure how reliable the FB translator is) about two discs at around 40 minutes each and something about how that would make the album easier to digest.
Stabby - 17.03.2012 at 00:42
Written by Milena on 16.03.2012 at 20:58

Written by Stabby on 16.03.2012 at 20:29

"meh that's okay I'll enjoy it when it comes out?" And then not thinking about it (until the videos for Way of The Fire came out, that was pretty good).What would Jari do? Probably postpone resenting for 3 years.

THANK YOU. Finally someone sharing my sentiments. Both sides are getting really fuckin' annoying. The worst part is that the "hahahah there are still people who care about this band" people are feeding the fire by posting those comments over and over, and then someone gets into a fight, and then the whole thing just gets more blown up. Not to mention the people who overdo praise, and the people who overdo bashing, but I raged out on the s/t album thread for that, no need to repeat myself. But I do hate myself for contributing to the topic every now and again.

I know it's sacrilege but I keep thinking "it's just music". Yes I loved the first album, but there are so many good releases all the time, all I ever did when reading about Wintersun's issues was think "I do care and I really want to hear it, but bitching about it isn't going to change anything" and that seems to work best. It is like people think that bands have an obligation to them to put out music and if they don't then they have every right to complain. How many of these people even bought the Wintersun album? Yes it's kind of ridiculous that it would take that long, but so what? It's coming out now, and there is their old album which I haven't listened to in a long time (except Winter Madness upon first snowfall of the year ).

And the talk about not even buying the album remains me. EVERYONE IF YOU LIKE THE ALBUM BUY IT FOR FUCK'S SAKE IF YOU CAN. I don't know how much of their troubles were their own fault or how much was just circumstance but money helps things along. I hope they have plenty of success this tour and album so it isn't an issue.

All of that said I get why people get upset, because a band can mean something significant to them. Like you said, changing expectations is best. It may not be easy but it's desirable. What do we do when a band breaks up? Feel sad and get over it.
Milena - 17.03.2012 at 00:49
Written by BlueMobius on 17.03.2012 at 00:41

Mmmm, I went a bit through it but my attention spam is a bit low today... I did catch someone's post on the update on Wintersun's wall saying how the update is gonna be about those construction workers in front of Jari's house smashing a wrecking ball against his walls and destroying the computer with Time in it, I chuckled
Milena - 17.03.2012 at 00:50
Written by Stabby on 17.03.2012 at 00:42

You're reading my mind or something? I'm one of the people who haven't bought the s/t though (third world and all), but I'm making up to it by not bitching about Time being pushed back
Zaphod - 17.03.2012 at 01:06
Written by BlueMobius on 16.03.2012 at 21:43

I totally agree with you.
I was always certain this album was going to be awesome, or at least good. I did never care about the hype that was getting bigger and bigger over the years, just because it took longer to release this. The album is going to be the same album that was originally going to be released in 2006, it just took 6 more years, but it'll get there. There have been AWESOME albums since 2006, so nobody has the right to complain. Just my thoughts.
I am, however, quite excited by this update, and I very much hope it'll actually be released "late summer". That would kick ass
Mimogrede - 17.03.2012 at 01:07
I've been expecting it, to come out about at the end of this year and to hear it's set for late summer is just great, let's hope, this time (heh) they will stick to the plan...
Also, what was he implying with albumS and winks?
Carl Berg - 17.03.2012 at 01:19
Let the trolling begin.
BlueMobius - 17.03.2012 at 01:34
Written by Carl Berg on 17.03.2012 at 01:19

Let the trolling begin.

Think you're a little bit late to the ball game.
Lonniehaskel - 17.03.2012 at 05:16
It's about...Time?
patrickmetal12 - 17.03.2012 at 05:28
MARRY ME JARI
Codera the Great - 17.03.2012 at 05:48
I am so pumped up, the self-titled album was so impressive, it's about TIME I get to hear this new album.
Troy Killjoy - 17.03.2012 at 06:01
The next person to make a pun out of the album title should be castrated.
Doc Godin - 17.03.2012 at 07:02
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.03.2012 at 06:01

The next person to make a pun out of the album title should be castrated.

It's about Time someone said this.

....Come at me bro.
Vermoorden - 17.03.2012 at 07:03
Thank the gods....been waiting forever on this thing...Can't wait!
swatata - 17.03.2012 at 09:17
At last. Hope it goes well and gets released in the summer for real. I am buying it as soon as it hits the stores.
psykometal - 17.03.2012 at 20:32
Written by Doc Godin on 17.03.2012 at 07:02

Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.03.2012 at 06:01

The next person to make a pun out of the album title should be castrated.

It's about Time someone said this.

....Come at me bro.

LMAO!!!
Fradd - 17.03.2012 at 22:05
Ladies and gentlemen, I present you the winner of this years "biggest surprise" category.

Also, good for Jari, guy's had some rough years. If I spend a couple of years doing a tedious research only to lose it in a fire, I'd be jumping straight out of a window.
Milena - 18.03.2012 at 01:18
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.03.2012 at 06:01

The next person to make a pun out of the album title should be castrated.

Ooooh, yes, that too... guess it was fun for the first year or something, but now the nerve beneath my left eye twitches slightly whenever I see something like that.

Except for the one that replied to you
Boxcar Willy - 18.03.2012 at 04:00
Written by Lonniehaskel on 17.03.2012 at 05:16

It's about...Time?

Bu dum tss.
Amatsu Mikaboshi - 18.03.2012 at 20:07
"The new album will be released in late summer." I can't help but not buy it.
BudDa - 18.03.2012 at 22:21
I really don't care. I might have about 3 years ago but not anymore
Void Eater - 18.03.2012 at 23:10
Written by Doc Godin on 17.03.2012 at 07:02

Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.03.2012 at 06:01

The next person to make a pun out of the album title should be castrated.

It's about Time someone said this.

....Come at me bro.

If somebody makes a joke like that one more Time...

CAMB Troy.
vezzy - 18.03.2012 at 23:16
It's time to record the new album and play Counter-Strike 1.6 deathmatch.

And I'm all out of hard drive space.

[seriously, am I the only one who can picture Jari fragging a bunch of n00bs with his mad Deagle skills?]
LeChron James - 20.03.2012 at 03:25
Predicting another Ilud Divinum Insanus. Except with more vociferous rage. Maybe.
The Shape 1973 - 20.03.2012 at 20:59
Years of writing, pouring his soul in to it. The losing it to a computer glitch, heartbreak. More time spent re-recording, further technical problems, then at last a finished album....

....but then he thought it would be good idea to get the twat who mastered the last Epica album involved....on the first day of release all the the CDs are completely blank.
Marcel Hubregtse - 20.03.2012 at 21:07
Written by The Shape 1973 on 20.03.2012 at 20:59

that would be absolutely brilliant.
Baz Anderson - 27.03.2012 at 21:03
So it's going to be a double album? Or they have recorded two and will release the second one shortly after?
I guess we'll have to wait and see.
FeskarN - 28.03.2012 at 22:11
Written by Baz Anderson on 27.03.2012 at 21:03

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I will copy the text I posted in the Time thread: Jari told earlier this year in Soundi-magazine that Time will be released in 2 parts. The first part has 4 songs and 40 minutes of music. The second part will be released approximately 6 months later in winter 2013. Kai Hahto posted this on FB: "first of all it´s not about money,it´s because the whole album is over 80 minutes of music and both parts stand as individual album.also it´s couldn´t fot to one cd anyway.also playing live we can present the parts as a whole when playing live and also include some old songs.so this way we can also tour around 2.5-3 years and after that come up with a new album which we have a lot of material already.we don´t want to make the fans wait another 6 years you know..:) cheers!"

Pages: 1 [2]

News Wintersun - New Album Streaming Online 7.5 17.10.2012 by Lit.
News Freak Kitchen - New Album Out Late October 7 22.09.2009 by Jeff
News Huntress - To Record New Album This Summer 5.5 01.07.2014 by ManiacBlasphemer
News Dark Tranquillity - New Album Out Early Next Year 5.5 04.07.2009 by Valaskjalf
News Within Temptation - New Album Single Out This Friday 5.5 20.01.2011 by Carl Berg