"I Have A Right", the brand new video from Finnish power metal band Sonata Arctica has premiered and is now available for viewing below. It was directed by Tuukka Temonen. The song, also available for streaming and download at this location, is taken from their upcoming album Stones Grow Her Name, out on May 18th in Europe and May 22nd in North America through Nuclear Blast. More album details here.

Source: sonataarctica.info
Band profile: Sonata Arctica

Posted: 23.04.2012 by *!*

Comments

DeepBlueSea - 23.04.2012 at 20:56
Love this song. Eagerly awaiting the album =)
Bad English - 23.04.2012 at 21:00
How can it be metal -..... its pop music
Baz Anderson - 23.04.2012 at 21:07
I hope it'll grow on me...
Milena - 23.04.2012 at 21:12
The most un-metal thing I've ever seen Oh well. Waiting for the album.
Carl Berg - 23.04.2012 at 21:24
What the hell... And I have the right to not listen to this.
Thrashette - 23.04.2012 at 21:27
Disappointed
I still have my hopes up for the album though....
TalKoren - 23.04.2012 at 21:36
Sadly, but Tony stopped to thrill and touch me with his vocals. The song should be touching, the lyrics tell a sad story, speak of important matter... and yet it does me nothing (for an example Letters To Dana or Replica touches me.)
I don't know, either it's because he/the band/the songs lost some drive or it's just because Sonata was one of the 1st metal bands I started to listen, and now when I know a wast variety of singers, Tony just looses greatly to others.
Hopefully, the album in general will be good, and will be a strong come back album...
Carloz - 23.04.2012 at 21:43
If I can't tell if it's Rihanna or Tony Kakko, then it seems something's wrong. The song very boringly tries to reach the 4-minute mark at the end. Where are the guys who wrote Dream Thieves? Sonata Arctica, please do the noble thing!
Stabby - 23.04.2012 at 22:26

April Fool's day was weeks ago, guys. Does Finland have a different calender or something?

Some parts of the song are kind of beautiful, but this isn't a song I wanted to listen to.
Dark Forever - 23.04.2012 at 23:47
Yeah, "pretty song" for a campaign for freedom, but terrible as a single taken from a Metal (?) album...
strade - 24.04.2012 at 00:34
I don't really see what people are so surprised by. This hasn't been an actual metal band since Reckoning Night, so...

Even I thought it was decent pop music. Wow, I must be losing my grip.
enumaelis - 24.04.2012 at 00:42
Might be pop or not... but this is probably one of the worst songs Sonata ever wrote
BlindToNegotiate - 24.04.2012 at 01:05
It's a pretty song. That's the best I think could be said about it. The melody, lyrics, and tone pretty much match their mood in their past couple albums, so I'm not surprised at all.

Yet, with that said, I still kinda like it!
Azarath - 24.04.2012 at 01:18
Not bad, but just a tad repetitive. Still looking forward to the album.
theironarctica - 24.04.2012 at 01:39
Written by Carl Berg on 23.04.2012 at 21:24

What the hell... And I have the right to not listen to this.

Hahahahaha exactly what i was thinking when this came up in the news
WorpeX - 24.04.2012 at 02:09
I love Sonata Arctica

But I hate this song.
EW - 24.04.2012 at 02:35
I hate this song too. Makes me feel nothing listening to it.
Stabby - 24.04.2012 at 04:01
I feel like I have to save MetalStorm from this atrocity.

All in a day's work
BlueMobius - 24.04.2012 at 05:48
Meh ...
Kincaid - 24.04.2012 at 07:06
So lame
wrathchild - 24.04.2012 at 13:06
They played that thing at the PPM fest... so lame, I could hardly believe my ears.
Malaghost - 24.04.2012 at 15:18
Thanks for Wolf and Raven video. I'd better not comment on this new "song".
Troy Killjoy - 24.04.2012 at 15:38
Written by Malaghost on 24.04.2012 at 15:18
I'd better not comment on this new "song".

I'd better not quote you either.

Oh wait.
Milena - 24.04.2012 at 22:22
Written by Stabby on 24.04.2012 at 04:01

Wolf & Raven

Am I the only SA fan in the world that really hates this song?
Milena - 24.04.2012 at 22:28
Written by strade on 24.04.2012 at 00:34

This hasn't been an actual metal band since Reckoning Night, so...

You sure? Not anything from Unia? Or some stuff from the latest? I'm not being a douche, I'm just curious, a lot of people say it's awful but I haven't come across with "non-metal" yet.

As for everyone else... dudes, it's a single. And the bigger Sonata gets, the more confusing their singles will be, they're on Nuclear Blast after all. Neither Paid In Full nor Flag In The Ground weren't exactly in tone with the rest of their respective albums. I have 6 years of experience, trust me on this one whether the album turns out good or bad*, it won't sound like I Have A Right.

*50% of chance for either, but I still think it's gonna be good, since 2012 ain't gonna screw me over with albums I'm particularly expecting like 2011 did.
Stabby - 24.04.2012 at 23:02
Written by Milena on 24.04.2012 at 22:22

Written by Stabby on 24.04.2012 at 04:01

Wolf & Raven

Am I the only SA fan in the world that really hates this song?

It can get tiresome after a couple of listens. But I hadn't heard it in months, and it was the first of their videos I thought of. Don't Say A Word may have been a better choice for a badass Sonata music video. But any of their videos, including Flag In The Ground would have been better than this.

I never thought I would say that about Flag In The Ground!
Milena - 24.04.2012 at 23:04
Written by Stabby on 24.04.2012 at 23:02

I never thought I would say that about Flag In The Ground!

Flag In The Ground would have been a perfect video if not for some... details
As for DSAW, it's an awesome song, perhaps the best Caleb-quadrilogy (the fuck? is that a word? you know what I meant anyway) song, but the video is really... mom's basement. And Henkka looks like he's fuckin' drunk in that video. Knowing him, it MIGHT have been the case though.
Stabby - 24.04.2012 at 23:17
Written by Milena on 24.04.2012 at 23:04

Written by Stabby on 24.04.2012 at 23:02

I never thought I would say that about Flag In The Ground!

Flag In The Ground would have been a perfect video if not for some... details

Haha you're right, especially during the solo. He looks like he's on something more than alcohol

For some reason I rarely pay attention to power metal music videos. I think that watching Rhapsody's scarred me for life or something and that ruined it for the others.
Milena - 24.04.2012 at 23:26
Written by Stabby on 24.04.2012 at 23:17

He looks like he's on something more than alcohol

Nah, that's not Henkka. I don't *really* believe he'd show up drunk to a video shoot, that's pretty... Slash. Maybe he was just bored out of his ass and hateful.
I used to believe he was constantly bored while playing onstage and then I watched Live In Finland, and during Juliet it stroke me - he's enjoying every minute of it, but he's one of the people that have a permanent bitchface on. We all know these people.

UGH, videos. Most of my favorite bands are too small to shoot vids at all, and some of my larger bands, well... Symphony X's vids from 2007 were pretty horrible, for example. And DT in 2011... what was LaBrie thinking when he showed up all "Men In Black" to shoot "On The Backs Of Angels"? he can pull off a lot of ridiculous things, but those sunglasses

Please give me the link to that Rhapsody video that scarred you for life so I can be scarred together with you. Empathy and stuff.
Stabby - 24.04.2012 at 23:59
Written by Milena on 24.04.2012 at 23:26

Written by Stabby on 24.04.2012 at 23:17

He looks like he's on something more than alcohol

Yeah he just looks like it, I don't actually think he was high. I looked like that throughout my teenage years!

I just realized that I had never seen a Dream Theater music video. I just watched ATBOA and I totally agree, it was actually pretty good, and then he comes in with the shades and extreme close-ups, and now I can't take it seriously! Also the one for Lie. Wtf. Gonna watch the others now. Dream Theater is a band that could have really great music videos, I would especially want to see one with heavy imagery for Voices. Just keep the James Labrie shades and close-ups to a minimum, heh.

All Rhapsody videos have scarred me, but some more than others. Reign Of A Thousand Flames is the cheesiest crap ever http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRQ6thP8D0w Unholy Warcry is mostly scenery, Christopher Lee sullying his good name by appearing in Rhapsody Videos, and photos of Luca's cheesy solo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLe1G7WBNkE&feature=related Their others suck but suck in a neutral way. And remember, they can't be unseen.

Ditto on the Set The World On Fire video. What are these guys thinking? Oh well, I have made peace with this. Except for Rhapsody. *shudders*
Milena - 25.04.2012 at 00:04
Written by Stabby on 24.04.2012 at 23:59

Also the one for Lie. Wtf.

Awwwww I love that one. Especially Petrucci's guitar.

Gonna watch the RoF ones now, consider me scarred in advance... we should stop spamming
Stabby - 25.04.2012 at 00:06
Written by Milena on 25.04.2012 at 00:04

Written by Stabby on 24.04.2012 at 23:59

Also the one for Lie. Wtf.

Awwwww I love that one. Especially Petrucci's guitar.

Heh, will do. And that is a pretty badass guitar. Love that solo.
strade - 25.04.2012 at 00:16
Written by Milena on 24.04.2012 at 22:28

Written by strade on 24.04.2012 at 00:34

This hasn't been an actual metal band since Reckoning Night, so...

All right, so I was definitely exaggerating, but it was only to point out that these influences have been in their music for quite a while. I just think people shouldn't be shocked by the song.

In any case, against all odds, I liked it. If every song is this repetitive, it's going to be a tedious listen, though.
Milena - 25.04.2012 at 00:26
Written by strade on 25.04.2012 at 00:16

They shouldn't be, really... everyone likes Silence, but on it you have Last Drop Falls and Tallulah, which are pretty much pure pop (and in my book, more or less average, like this song, although not a lot of people would agree with me).

And don't worry... Tony once said his biggest writing fault is overwriting (on a Sonata level! they aren't an avantgarde band so contain your snarky comments, you in the back), so I don't think we'll see a lot of repetition here. I have no idea what we'll see; the samples that have been taken off of youtube since I last saw them suggest it will be something new again.

I have no idea really, all bets are off. I don't think they'll disappoint, but I don't think they'll excel either. I would really like to see them next tour, it's been too long.
Malaghost - 25.04.2012 at 10:25
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.04.2012 at 15:38

Written by Malaghost on 24.04.2012 at 15:18
I'd better not comment on this new "song".

I'd better not quote you either.

Oh wait.

o_O
wrathchild - 25.04.2012 at 20:34
Written by Milena on 24.04.2012 at 22:22

Written by Stabby on 24.04.2012 at 04:01

Wolf & Raven

Am I the only SA fan in the world that really hates this song?

That song was the first to make me question my fanship with this band.
Once again, a band that will never top their debut album... sad.
Diksy - 26.04.2012 at 14:50
Disappointing ...
MarioVillalobos - 28.04.2012 at 04:44
The song is not very "wow" is ok, but the video i loved very nice, is something that happens all the day and destroy a lot of lifes
Torgo - 01.05.2012 at 08:29
No Jani No Metal
SymphAlchemist - 14.05.2012 at 01:42
Boring video.
SymphAlchemist - 14.05.2012 at 01:42
Boring video.
feather_light - 14.05.2012 at 22:33
I must be one of the couple people that actually like this song, despite it sounding nothing like SA.

I'm really looking forward to this album. Unia and TDoG didn't do it for me, but from what I've heard of this one, I'm keeping my hopes up high!
Cal Wolvington - 16.05.2012 at 10:51
And yet another one of my old favorite bands has taken a new direction, but where WT, Nightwish, Epica and Kamelot screwed up big time, I find myself actually enjoying this. How weird is that? This isn't good old SA, but it doesn't sound uninspired either. Commercial singles such as these are fine by me, just as long as the album is good and this song sounds promising enough to me. I also love Tony's new hair color, I have a thing for androgyny.
For those who prefer Jani, we'll always have Cain's Offering's amazing debut.

News Sonata Arctica - New Video Online 10.5 28.04.2007 by amonamarthavenge