Drummer Patrice Hamelin has left Canadian technical death metallers Martyr and the band is currently on hold.

The following statement was issued on their official Facebook page: "Hi Everyone, after 14 years of great musical adventures, drummer Pat Hamelin has decided to leave the band Martyr due to personal reasons. We all wish him well."

"The remaining members of Martyr are unsure about the future of the band, as there has been a lot of undergoing tensions through the last years that was not taken care of, thus resulting in a frustrating negative vibe that would stagnate creativity and motivation. Martyr is on hold for now. More news to come later. Thanks for your support over all these years!"

[Thanks to !J.O.O.E.! for the tip!]

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Martyr

Posted: 17.05.2012 by BloodTears

Comments

Rupert - 17.05.2012 at 23:22
Shite.
Troy Killjoy - 17.05.2012 at 23:25
Quote:
...there has been a lot of undergoing tensions through the last years that was not taken care of, thus resulting in a frustrating negative vibe that would stagnate creativity and motivation.

I guess that explains why I've always thought these guys kind of suck. :/
!J.O.O.E.! - 17.05.2012 at 23:58
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.05.2012 at 23:25

I guess that explains why I've always thought these guys kind of suck. :/

YOUR DOING IT WROGN. And their last album was nearly 6 years ago, I'd be surprised if they were referring back that far.

TrollandDie - 18.05.2012 at 00:13
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 17.05.2012 at 23:58

Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.05.2012 at 23:25

I guess that explains why I've always thought these guys kind of suck. :/

YOUR DOING IT WROGN.

To be fair, I can see why they would be the target for a love/hate crowd.

I like them, but the hardcore-like vocals coupled with the relatively weak production (compared with Beyond Creation or Quo Vadis) could be a tipping-point for certain people. Still...tech-death is tech-death and when Canadian tech-death is on the table, then it's kind of hard to pass out.
!J.O.O.E.! - 18.05.2012 at 00:16
Written by TrollandDie on 18.05.2012 at 00:13

To be fair, I can see why they would be the target for a love/hate crowd.

Well I don't like Warp Zone and am someone definitely sensitive to -core vocals in this kind of music, yet somehow here they don't bother me. The production does appeal to me though. Shiny production on tech-death is the biggest faux pas to me.
TrollandDie - 18.05.2012 at 00:23
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 18.05.2012 at 00:16

Written by TrollandDie on 18.05.2012 at 00:13

To be fair, I can see why they would be the target for a love/hate crowd.

Understandable too, although I'm the opposite. I like my production strong and thicker than butter. It differs from band to band but I feel that usually the shiny approach works better.

The only tech-death group I've seen 'non-shiny' work well for is Atheist, but even their classics could do with a major facelift. Coroner for ''RIP'' too (although they're more tech-thrash than tech-death).
Schlagintweit - 18.05.2012 at 01:18
To say a band of this caliber "sucks" is darn right rude! Their musicianship was absolutely incredible. I've seen them here live 3 times and I was not disappointed by any means, even when they were missing a guitar player for one of the show's they were still awesome! There comes a time when politics and personal issues become the demise of a band...been through it a few times. I wish these guys well in future endeavors, hope to see them all resurface soon and I'm sure they will with Quebec's growing death metal scene

R.I.P. Martyr??
qlacs - 18.05.2012 at 02:08
Nooooooo
btbamfan20 - 18.05.2012 at 07:49
NOOOOOO!!!
The Void - 18.05.2012 at 13:46
Oh fucking shit.
Black Conundrum - 22.05.2012 at 01:55
Bummer about this happening to Martyr. They're a great band and I'm currently listening to a song of theirs.
Grody2themax - 23.05.2012 at 05:11
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.05.2012 at 23:25

I guess that explains why I've always thought these guys kind of suck. :/

Martyr is too fucking good to say they suck. Its not wank tech death like brain drill, but its some of the most complex music I've ever said. You can say you don't like them though. ;]

Yes, I'm a fanboy and proud.
Troy Killjoy - 23.05.2012 at 05:14
Written by Grody2themax on 23.05.2012 at 05:11
You can say you don't like them though. ;]

I can also say I think they suck.

Not a fan of Brain Drill either, and to be honest most tech-death doesn't do anything for me, but the vocals and production have always turned me off.
Grody2themax - 23.05.2012 at 21:52
Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.05.2012 at 05:14

Written by Grody2themax on 23.05.2012 at 05:11
You can say you don't like them though. ;]

I can also say I think they suck.

Fair enough. Brain drill DOES actually suck though.
Troy Killjoy - 23.05.2012 at 21:55
Written by Grody2themax on 23.05.2012 at 21:52
Brain drill DOES actually suck though.

I can agree with that.
Mr. Doctor - 24.05.2012 at 00:36
Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.05.2012 at 21:55

Written by Grody2themax on 23.05.2012 at 21:52
Brain drill DOES actually suck though.

I can agree with that.

I liked the song Joe posted (goes right to my list of shit I have to check out)... but seriously, fuck Brain Drill.
Boxcar Willy - 24.05.2012 at 00:54
Bah, Brain Drill is just too advanced for you all.

BD fo' lyfe bitchez
qlacs - 21.11.2013 at 00:45
To me Warp Zone IS the fucking modern tech death masterpiece and milestone, like everything before was just experimentation with tech death. You can give me any names but DUDE it was released in 2000... No shit was that good those days...

News Decapitated - Drummer Quits The Band 5.5 02.09.2012 by J. N.
News Adrenaline Mob - Drummer Mike Portnoy Quits Band 5.5 05.06.2013 by Cynic Metalhead
News Stratovarius - Drummer Jörg Michael Quits The Band 5.5 17.09.2011 by Milena
News Black Label Society - Drummer Quits The Band 5.5 11.02.2010 by Troy Killjoy
News The Faceless - Drummer Quits The Band 5.5 24.01.2013 by Alex Fenger