Have you ever taken a good look at some albums in your collection and thought to yourself "My God, if only this piece of shit album was half as good as the album artwork that covers it, it would be a solid 10/10." Pretty much anyone who owns Manowar's Anthology has surely thought that at some point or another.

The point being, it's time to give some props to the unsung heroes who create the album artwork of your favorite, and not-so-favorite albums. We want to know what Metal Storm, as a collective, considers the very best album artwork of all time.

Here's how it works:
Step 1: Go through your album collection, pick out your top 3 favorite album covers of all time, regardless of the quality of the music on the albums.
Step 2: Send a PM to Doc Godin here on Metal Storm with your 3 picks.
Step 3: Tune in on July 31st, and we will reveal the top 50 picks. You can then choose your top 3 favorites out of those 50, and we'll continue to whittle it down in that manner.

The deadline for Round 1 is July 30th.

The point? No point. Just for fun.

- The Metal Storm Team

Posted: 24.07.2012 by Doc Godin

Comments page 4 of 4

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Milena - 30.07.2012 at 12:59
You're right about those being bad as art, Joe, but what about them being good as metal album covers? I don't know, I don't personally like any of these Nile/Obscura/power metal covers, but if you'd ask me what usually constitutes a metal album cover, I'd say blood, guts, "scary" creatures and monsters, machinery, occultism, all done in a very glossy, over-the-top way. Stuff that metalheads like wearing on their shirts, just because.

All that can be done in a classy, mature way, and some of these classy, mature covers were indeed posted, but I don't think any of the artists who did these "photoshop disasters" wanted to be classy and mature. They wanted to create stereotypical metal album covers, something you'd pick up and say "oh yeah, this is definitely a power/thrash/death metal album" (based on what's on the cover). Cliches were always a part of metal - the "metal" album cover is one of them, really. And that's what people like and what works for them.
!J.O.O.E.! - 30.07.2012 at 13:13
Written by Milena on 30.07.2012 at 12:59

That album art type quite often represents the music if you ask me: fake, sterile, overly shiny and polished with no real creative talent =P As you say, generic metal-looking artwork for generic metal really. The roughage of metal unfortunately.

And yeah, I don't really like cliches either, but a cliche is slightly better when it's done well.
!J.O.O.E.! - 30.07.2012 at 13:15
Written by Uldreth on 30.07.2012 at 12:58

Didn't end up voting for them but these two were close ones:

Ugh... I fucking love that Catacombs artwork more than you could know. Great stuff, and great album.

The Darkthrone one is also very good indeed.
Spirit Molecule - 30.07.2012 at 13:34
Written by Milena on 30.07.2012 at 12:59

Well in that case CC would have the best album covers

Anyway what you say makes sense, certain genres have certain imagery and themes that go with it and these are usually part of the art.
At the end it's just personal choice, just like everything else.

I prefer the art from the sludge scene, I love the use of colour with some great illustration as compared to photoshop covers, though there are certain exceptions.
I'm just quite curious to see what are the top 50.

Anyway some nice digital art(nick keller) from the band beastwars

Mr. Doctor - 30.07.2012 at 13:48
These pics aren't my votes... Just some stuff that stuck on my "best of" runner ups... Along with many many many others. Gosh this was hard.

Some stuff that has already been posted like Black One, Weighing Souls With Sand, In The Depths Of R'lyeh, Soulside Journey, To Mega Therion also ended up very very close
!J.O.O.E.! - 30.07.2012 at 13:56
Ah the Arizmenda one, nice choice. Still gutted I lost out on a shirt with that on.
Mr. Doctor - 30.07.2012 at 13:59
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 30.07.2012 at 13:56

Yeah, that one was probably top 5 along with Khanate... I really love that Khanate artwork mainly because the ruined piano sums up the whole "Fuck everything you know about music" vibe I got when I discovered them.
Quirin - 30.07.2012 at 19:55
Yeah, that one FTW!
Opethian - 30.07.2012 at 22:25
Summoning has always delivered incredible music. The astonishing art work was always a bonus!
Edmund Fogg - 30.07.2012 at 23:01
Ooh right Botanist. Damn I was so eager to vote I forgot about that one. Great album cover.
!J.O.O.E.! - 31.07.2012 at 17:23
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 28.07.2012 at 19:36

Not to labour a point but this is how you do motherfucking artwork:

Mr. Doctor - 06.08.2012 at 02:05
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 31.07.2012 at 17:23
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 28.07.2012 at 19:36
Aurora Borealis artwork

Not to labour a point but this is how you do motherfucking artwork:

[img]Elysian Blaze artwork[/img]

EXHIBIT A MOTHERFCUKER.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

News Metal Storm's Favorite Album Art: The Final 3! 9 24.08.2012 by Uldreth
News Metal Storm's Favourite Album Art: Round 3! 8 09.08.2012 by Cynic Metalhead
News Metal Storm's Favourite Album Art: Round 4! 7.5 16.08.2012 by Fredd
News Metal Storm's Favourite Album Art: Round 2! 7.5 31.07.2012 by Fredd
Articles Metal Storm's Favorite Album Artwork: The Results! 6 01.09.2012 by Haiwaan Das