So we've gone from roughly 300 down to 20 album covers. Now, we know what an opinionated bunch you people are, so we're going to shake things up in the voting department this round...

Here's how it is going to work - you look at these covers listed here, then send a private message to Doc Godin with your picks! How are things shaken up? Well, clearly, you're going to look at this list and think to yourself "Well, there definitely is some nice ones, but sweet merciful crap! How the hell did _____ make it to the final 20?!" So you're going to pick 3 to give a thumbs down, and 3 to give a thumbs up. The thumbs-up will give a +1 on the scoreboard for your picks, while the thumbs-down will give a -1.

All that being said, here are the top 20:
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Septicflesh - The Great Mass
Swallow The Sun - The Morning Never Came
Vildhjarta - Måsstaden
Wintersun - Wintersun

Note: Only picks PM'd to Doc will be counted. E-mailing him or picks posted here will not be counted.

Tune in for Round 4 on August 15th for the top 10!

Posted: 09.08.2012 by Doc Godin

Comments page 2 of 2

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 [2]

Frodd - 11.08.2012 at 07:45
I find the anatomical abnormalities in that artwork interesting.
Czerny Reiter - 11.08.2012 at 23:23
I'm having the hardest time finding out which are the ones I care about at all. Really, most of these album covers are either campy, lacking in technical proficiency or simply boring. Sometimes all three.

My top offenders:

Wintersun - Wintersun
Dissection - Storm of Light's Bane
Mastodon - Crack the Skye
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
Septicflesh - The Great Mass

Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale
Alcest - Écailles de Lune

Esoteric's The Maniacal Vale and Alcest's Écailles de Lune are the easy stand-outs, one a cerebral affair with excellent use of lighting, the other making equally good use of shading and colour plus conveying a rich emotional backdrop. Skyforger, Masstaden and Dwellings are sort of "the best of the rest" but I couldn't really bring myself to vote on any of them for "best cover evah".

Of note, Mastodon and Amon Amarth's both really scream "METAL!!" at me but are just too cliché, being a given that one could peruse covers throughout the years and find something rather similar, if not downright superior.
Misfit74 - 12.08.2012 at 00:07
Cool list. FYI the Immortal link appears to be broken/bad.
Crucifux - 12.08.2012 at 04:08
I'm still surprised people picked Ghost Reveries over Still Life and Opeth's earlier albums.
Dylan - 12.08.2012 at 06:39
Written by Guest on 12.08.2012 at 04:08

Agreed, Still Life looks a lot better.

Storm of the Lights Bane is my personal favourite.

One i'd like to have on the list also is Above the Weeping World by Insomnium, love that cover
M C Vice - 12.08.2012 at 11:39
Is the regular version of The Great Mass shiny like the 2 disk version?
Cill O' Connor - 12.08.2012 at 11:44
My favourites are the black metal trio of At The Heart Of Winter, In The Nightside Eclipse and Hvis Lyset Tar Oss. The first two I love because of the fantasy theme to them, and they provide an image that fits perfectly with the music on each album. The Burzum one is cool because it's not trying to look grandiose or technical, but at the same time really achieves a chilling atmosphere - which in many ways is what the music on the album is all about. Though I prefer the artwork on the self-titled album for looking more mysterious.
Giza - 12.08.2012 at 16:22
I personally think In Flames - Colony has an awesome album cover. Sure the band sucks nowadays, but that album cover is really something portraying some kind of a dystopian or post apocalyptic scene with all that destroyed strange looking machinery and a boat with a white figure aboard.
btbamfan20 - 12.08.2012 at 22:29
Amon Amarth - Twilight Of The Thundergod
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Vildhjarta - Måsstaden

Too bad Spawn of Possession - Incurso didnt make it, its better than ALL of these album arts....
Mattybu - 13.08.2012 at 03:22
Too bad Manslayer didn't make the list. It's better album art and better music quality that about 100% of these.
Ozman - 13.08.2012 at 14:00
Written by Mattybu on 13.08.2012 at 03:22

what has music uality to do with anything on this poll?
Mattybu - 13.08.2012 at 21:02
Written by Ozman on 13.08.2012 at 14:00

Written by Mattybu on 13.08.2012 at 03:22

what has music uality to do with anything on this poll?

Nothing. Nothing at all.

I was joking anyways manslayer is horrendous. I gave up on this contest after round 1 haha
Tristus Scriptor - 14.08.2012 at 09:59
I didn't get involved in any of this (I kinda regret it...I like having fun, too!), however- did anybody ever even think of Cathedral's "Forest of Equilibrium", "The Ethereal Mirror", or "Carnival Bizarre"?!?! If they did, I must have missed it...
Dark Cornatus - 14.08.2012 at 11:26
Written by btbamfan20 on 12.08.2012 at 22:29

I agree, i voted for it. Was so damn good.

I don't know about most people, but i vote on what looks amazing, not what i THINK i should vote for. Cliche doesn't really come into it unless it is something REALLY lame like a pentagram or candles. I hate symbolism in it's most obvious forms. I only like album art if it actually looks good. I still think Ahab's was the best, though their logo probably killed it off because it is the worst logo i have ever seen.
Tiago Rocha - 14.08.2012 at 17:34
Written by Tristus Scriptor on 14.08.2012 at 09:59

I voted for ethereal mirror in round 1. Im so fond of it that I even got a 70cm/50cm high quality poster of the full artwork printed last week that im about to frame eheh next one will be maniacal vale's full artwork!
Xnoybis - 14.08.2012 at 19:50
Written by Tristus Scriptor on 14.08.2012 at 09:59

Cathedral's FOE was one of my three original votes, along with Endname's Anthropomachy and Godflesh' Streetcleaner.

The first two didn't have enough votes to make round two.

Streetcleaner snuck in because someone else has good taste.
Xnoybis - 14.08.2012 at 20:01
Written by Dark Cornatus on 14.08.2012 at 11:26

i had to disqualify myself from voting for "Divinity of Oceans" because it is actual artwork currently hanging in the Louvre. didn't think it fair.
Tristus Scriptor - 14.08.2012 at 21:22
Oh, ok. I figured that the 3 Cathedral CDs I listed deserved mention. That artist is phenomenal. (And it's been years since I had listened to the band, honestly. That's how much they stuck with me.)
Mr. Doctor - 14.08.2012 at 23:26
Written by Xnoybis on 14.08.2012 at 19:50
Streetcleaner snuck in because someone else has good taste.

You called?

I voted for it those 2 times... Glad to see it lasted at least more than one round hahahaha
Oaken - 15.08.2012 at 18:01
When is the next round starting?
Hallford9000 - 15.08.2012 at 23:03
I'm also eagerly waiting for the next round... the MS staff should make more contests like this. Maybe a best demo contest?
afu - 17.08.2012 at 10:36
That was the hardest decision I'd made since I was at redtube.
Dark Cornatus - 19.08.2012 at 08:29
Written by Xnoybis on 14.08.2012 at 20:01

Written by Dark Cornatus on 14.08.2012 at 11:26

I never knew that (and i've been there LOL). Respect lowered.... i thought they painted it for the album... sigh.
R'Vannith - 19.08.2012 at 15:14
Quite a few bands take some famous (or not so famous) artwork for their album covers, like Klabautamann in their latest one:

The original painting is by a Swedish guy, John Bauer. Anyway, as I'm no art enthusiast, I think it's an interesting way to become acquainted with some nice pieces. I never would have heard of that Bauer guy otherwise.
!J.O.O.E.! - 19.08.2012 at 15:21
Written by R'Vannith on 19.08.2012 at 15:14

Pretty stunning work. I'm also a massive fan of the band's other album art:

R'Vannith - 19.08.2012 at 15:27
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 19.08.2012 at 15:21

Pretty stunning work. I'm also a massive fan of the band's other album art:

They always put a nice cover on their music. Speaking of which I can't get enough of it, that Merkur album in particular
!J.O.O.E.! - 19.08.2012 at 15:29
Written by R'Vannith on 19.08.2012 at 15:27

It was a bit too mellow for me : P
Ozman - 19.08.2012 at 15:30
Written by R'Vannith on 19.08.2012 at 15:14

Burzum also used existing art for a couple of its albums, Reverend Bizarre too, Candlemass as well, same for Celtic Frost. Actually loads of bands use famous and less famous artwork for their albums
!J.O.O.E.! - 19.08.2012 at 15:33
Written by Ozman on 19.08.2012 at 15:30

Zdzisław Beksiński's art seems to pop up all the time too.
R'Vannith - 19.08.2012 at 15:36
Written by Ozman on 19.08.2012 at 15:30

Written by R'Vannith on 19.08.2012 at 15:14

With Reverend Bizarre its that "In the Rectory" album cover I think, I've seen it elsewhere. As for Candlemass..I'm guessing the cover for Nightfall?
Ozman - 19.08.2012 at 15:43
Written by R'Vannith on 19.08.2012 at 15:36

In the Rectory and also So Long Suckers. Candlemass Nightfall, Ancient Dreams, Tales of Creation

Pages: 1 [2]

News Metal Storm's Favourite Album Art: Round 2! 10.5 31.07.2012 by Frodd
News Metal Storm's Favourite Album Art: Round 4! 10.5 16.08.2012 by Frodd
News Metal Storm's Favorite Album Art? 8 24.07.2012 by Cynic Metalhead
News Metal Storm's Favorite Album Art: The Final 3! 7.5 24.08.2012 by Uldreth
News And Justice For Art - Stories About Heavy Metal Album Covers 6 08.09.2014 by chronic-headache