Nightwish and Anette Olzon have decided to part company. The band is in the middle of a North American tour with Kamelot and faces yet another line-up change.

Full statement from the band and Anette Olzon: "Another chapter of the Nightwish story has ended today. Nightwish and Anette Olzon have decided to part company, in mutual understanding, for the good of all parties involved.

In recent times it has become increasingly obvious that the direction and the needs of the band were in conflict, and this has led to a division from which we cannot recover.

Nightwish has no intention of cancelling any upcoming shows, and as a result we have decided to bring in a substitute vocalist starting in Seattle 1.10.2012. Her name is Floor Jansen from The Netherlands (ex-After Forever, ReVamp), and she has graciously stepped in to help us complete the Imaginaerum world tour.

We are all strongly committed to this journey, this vehicle of spirit, and we are sure that this will lead to a brighter future for everyone. We forever remain excited about the adventures to come, and we are extremely proud of the two beautiful albums and the wonderful shows we shared together."

Elize Ryd (Amaranthe) and Alissa White-Gluz (The Agonist) stepped in for Anette this past Friday night (September 28th) at the Ogden Theatre, Denver, because Olzon was forced to spend the night at a local hospital. The singer later stated on her blog: "I was never asked if it was ok they used Elise and Alica in the show last night. I don't think it's a good decision they made and I'm sorry for those of you who came to see the whole band but got something else. But I was very ill and this decision wasn't mine."

Source: nightwish.com
Band profile: Nightwish

Posted: 01.10.2012 by Tristam

Comments page 3 of 3

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 2 [3]

GT - 03.10.2012 at 11:39
Interesting with Floor doing the vocals. Would love to experience that.
882THKing - 03.10.2012 at 14:44
My GOD! Unbelievable. Yet another search for a different singer (what will they choose this time?). But I'm very happy to see Floor stepping in. She's such an amazing singer who could easily sing the whole Nightwish discography with her heavy metal/operatic voice. Tarja and Anette combined if you will. Well, this makes me very anxious for the next album..
Cassian - 03.10.2012 at 15:30
I'm totally pissed with the fact that Anette is no longer singing for Nightwish, as she is a good singer and I love the way she deals with new Nightwish songs. But Floor Jansen would be a great substitute if she deciced to stay with Nightwish for the rest of their active years to come.
mariano - 03.10.2012 at 17:19
Most people are celebrating this... I guess Anette was never meant for Nightwish after all.
Ernis - 03.10.2012 at 17:40
Written by M C Vice on 02.10.2012 at 09:40

I mean that a lot (not all) of replacement singers only last 2 albums. eg. Blaze Bayley (Maiden) Dio (Sabbath- 2 albums originally), Kaiaphas (Ancient), Ripper Owens - (Priest and Iced Earth). Exclude Kaiaphas and they all had to replace a big-name singers. Could probably find more if I did some research.

They might not even last an album...

Kerstin Bischof replaced Christina Hendrikcs in Xandria and lasted only one year... (she wasn't bad, tho, as far as I can tell judging these few live recordings I've heard). Nobody knows how long the new girl is going be in the band.

Nell Sigland only managed to record two albums with Theatre of Tragedy before they called it a day. Same thing applies to Elis...

Melissa Ferlaak was in Visions of Atlantis for one album and the only legacy her subsequent replacement Joanna has left is a couple of promotion photos...

It's better not to mention Sirenia... Henriette Bordvik was there for an album and an EP. Taking all of this into consideration, Anette Olzon with her five years in the band, the two solid albums and massive tours, did leave a considerable mark behind her. She could be the female counterpart of Blaze Bayley now as one of the most talked-about replacement singers.

Returning to Floor, I think it's true that she has the potential to please both Tarja's and Anette's fans because her voice is indeed more versatile than that of the two previous singers. Thus she can embody both singing styles.
Azarath - 03.10.2012 at 20:14
Written by Nemo Atkins on 03.10.2012 at 01:12

Yeah, I remember writing (but not posting) several rants about how it was SIX YEARS since Tarja had left the band and people were still demanding her return. It's gotten to the level that I'm now convinced that they could hire anyone except Tarja and people will still demand her return just BECAUSE it's not Tarja!

Naturally - to many people Tarja was the voice of Nightwish when they discovered the band, so they won't accept anyone else. We can probably look forward to the same thing now from people who can't accept any other singer than Anette fronting the band. Wonderful times ahead.

Provided the band lasts that long.
HumanSpirit - 04.10.2012 at 00:49
I really dont care about Anette at all... But Floor Jansen taking on those vocals is really gonna be awesome, see you Saturday oh Floor my love.
MétalNoir - 04.10.2012 at 03:52
I really hope they'll choose an operatic singer for the next album... Anette actually managed to sound ok on Imaginaerum, but that album has little to do with other Nightwish albums.
M C Vice - 04.10.2012 at 09:51
Written by Ernis on 03.10.2012 at 17:40

Written by M C Vice on 02.10.2012 at 09:40

Future duet albam, a la Kiske/Sommerville?
M C Vice - 04.10.2012 at 10:01
Written by Ernis on 02.10.2012 at 15:24

Written by M C Vice on 02.10.2012 at 13:54

A power metal female vocalist in the vein of Doro would be something I'd expect.

Like Kimberly Goss? (foolishly optomistic)
Ernis - 04.10.2012 at 12:45
Written by M C Vice on 04.10.2012 at 10:01

Like Kimberly Goss? (foolishly optomistic)

Oh yeah... that combination would produce some real symphonic power... However, at the moment I think that Floor is the best possible solution and I think she should stay. I'm very sorry bout Anette but as it turns out that the doctors discovered a cyst in her liver that needs fast treatment, it's evident that her singing career needs to be put on hold for some time. She can't afford the pressure at the time and this is the most logical reason why she had to leave mid-tour so unexpectedly. I don't think you want to be on stage when you're suffering from nausea and pain all the time.
E†han1994 - 04.10.2012 at 18:51
I'm really going to miss Anette.

Having watched Floor Jansen perform with Nightwish on YouTube, I agree it would be really cool if Floor was to stay with Nightwish permanently. She's like a mix of Tarja and Anette. She can pull off songs from both eras really well.
The Shape 1973 - 06.10.2012 at 11:23

Quite funny watching them sing from an A4 piece of paper.
Tristus Scriptor - 06.10.2012 at 23:43
I believe Floor will stay. I don't know if it's faith or hope on my part; but I have a good feeling about this union. Bring on the future!
stardrunklolocop - 06.10.2012 at 23:56
I really, truly tried to love Anette as the Nightwish vocalist. I didn't want to be a Tarjaholic; stuck in the past and bitter. I enjoyed Anette's vocals on tracks like 'The Crow, the Owl and the Dove' and 'Amaranth'. But, to me, she never felt like a complete fit - there was always something about her voice (an innocence maybe?) that made her feel like an intruder into the metal scene. People often describe her as 'childlike/youthful' in terms of vocals and stage presence and I'd be inclined to agree.

When I heard that she was leaving Nightwish my gut reaction was "yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay". When I heard that Floor was stepping in for the remaining tour dates I danced around my living room (very unlike me, introvert that I am). Afterwards I felt quite guilty and sad for Anette.
HellriderRising - 07.10.2012 at 00:05
I was shocked when I learnt the news. Personally, I felt glad to hear it. Anette, could not sing old Nightwish's songs. Tuomas should find a singer who can sing the old songs and start writing symphnic power metal again!
SatyriconChick - 07.10.2012 at 00:20
I was shocked when I found out a few days ago that Anette was out of Nightwish, but I was absolutely floored (no pun intended, lol) when I read that Floor was filling in as their vocalist! I honestly hope this turns into something permanent. I loved the Tarja era Nightwish, liked Dark Passion Play but just couldn't get into Imaginareum (sp?). If Floor sticks around, it'll be something special with this band again.
SoleS - 07.10.2012 at 07:08
Written by stardrunklolocop on 06.10.2012 at 23:56

...

This! I had the exact same feelings (except for the dance, I really couldn't do such a thing while at work )
I loved Anette, She was really good in DDP and fantastic in Imaginaerum, but She couldn't really do justice to the songs written for Tarja on live shows. Floor, on the other hand, seems to be able to do justice to the songs written for both Tarja and Anette. She is sounding really good already, with almost no preparation at all. Give her a few more shows and She will we absolutely amaysing.
I really hope they ask her to become the new permanent vocalist, a Nightwish album with her on vocals, with her range and Tuomas's compositions, would be absolutely fantastic I think.
Karwyn - 07.10.2012 at 22:57
If Floor turns out to be just a tour vocalist then Leeni Maria Hovila from Kivimetsan Druidi would be an excellent choice.
Oscarine Wilde - 07.10.2012 at 23:28
Well, I must say that I'm kinda glad that it is over with Anette. But, honestly, when I heard parts of concert with Floor, I really felt sorry for the people who were at that concert. The whole band, including Floor, was in deep mess. I really, really hope that they will find good singer, someone who has at least similar vocal abilities that Tarja had.
Karwyn - 08.10.2012 at 09:17
It's also nice to have a singer who's comfortable in the metal scene because I don't think Tarja is and I know Anette isn't.
Evil Chip - 11.10.2012 at 17:07
Written by Guest on 07.10.2012 at 23:28

Strange... because from the videos that I've seen the people were really happy with Floor. If you read the comments everyone hopes her to stay.
AnGina-- - 13.10.2012 at 10:59
I don't really care about Nightwish but I do love Floor, so I checked out some live videos with her and NW. All I gotta say is that that woman is simply fantastic no matter what she is singing. I really do hope she won't stay with NW though.
kurokamen - 15.10.2012 at 18:23
So, there IS a god... Hope they will return to something century childish...
moe5512 - 15.10.2012 at 20:17
I'm not really a fan of Tarja but the music was good while she was in the band. So was it with Anette. I haven't listened too much on Within Temptation but I like the singers voice, it would fit well with Nightwish
stardrunklolocop - 21.10.2012 at 22:41
Written by moe5512 on 15.10.2012 at 20:17

Agreed that Sharon den Adel is a fantastic singer. Can't see her leaving Within Temptation (and her hubby fellow bandmember) to join Nightwish though!
Ernis - 21.10.2012 at 23:21
Written by stardrunklolocop on 21.10.2012 at 22:41

Written by moe5512 on 15.10.2012 at 20:17

Anette's resemblance to Sharon vocal-wise was one thing she was heavily criticised for... Many considered Anette-era Nightwish a downgrade to Within Temptation... I can't see why those people who whined about Anette would want to accept Sharon even if she did join Nightwish...

Personally... Floor is great but ideally I'd expect something completely new this time. How about some real power metal vocals this time. If not a male vocalist then someone who'd be like Doro would click it...
stardrunklolocop - 22.10.2012 at 01:10
Written by Ernis on 21.10.2012 at 23:21

Written by stardrunklolocop on 21.10.2012 at 22:41

Written by moe5512 on 15.10.2012 at 20:17

I've never seen Anette being directly compared to Sharon (perhaps because I don't frequent online forums often enough ). It surprises me, as I don't think they sound anything remotely alike or have the same range.

I agree that a more 'meaty' vocalist like Doro could potentially work with Nightwish. A vocalist like Magali Lutyen from Beautiful Sin could give Marco a run for his money!
Ap46 - 22.10.2012 at 01:28
Well, although im a bit sad, i'd totally listen to nightwish with Amanda Sommerville on vocals. Like a wish come true!
Ernis - 22.10.2012 at 21:14
Written by stardrunklolocop on 22.10.2012 at 01:10

It began right after first material with Anette had been released... the main issue for these people was that Nightwish (that used to be such a badass dark "goth" band thanks to the operatic vocals of Tarja) had seemingly become a cheap copy of Within Temptation (because of Anette's sweeter and lighter non-operatic vocals)...
I know that Sharon and Anette do not sound the same but they do share a vocal style to some extent and that was indeed a contrast to Tarja's vocals...

Tarja's voice is particular and can be associated with specific styles only. I know and admit that she was what made Nightwish stand out from the beginning but, nevertheless, her voice and metal were a love or hate combination. Anette's voice is more neutral and thus did fit in in a smoother manner (I know I may be considered a heretic by saying so) but I can assure that by asking people who had never listened to Nightwish and never did, the answer was the following: "Good singer (Tarja) but opera and rock don't sound good together." The comment about Anette - NW combination was: "That sounds more like a rock band now."

I try to look at things from a wide angle. I discovered Nightwish when Tarja was the lead vocalist. At some point I lost interest in them but thanks to Anette I got interested in them again and also started to appreciate many Tarja-era songs that I had never liked that much before (example: "Come Cover Me" always was a filler for me... after Anette performed it, I started to love it and now I like both Tarja's and Anette's version of it)...

I really hope for the new vocalist (should Floor not stay) to be neither a copy of Tarja or Anette but a shiny original who can give a new life to songs of both eras...
Ap46 - 25.10.2012 at 06:05
Written by Ernis on 22.10.2012 at 21:14

Written by stardrunklolocop on 22.10.2012 at 01:10

So true...*-* Best comment of this thread.
BlackWard - 06.11.2012 at 02:20
This is the second time peope talk about hoping that Floor will be the new NW singer.. The first time I wouldn't have liked it due to the fact she was in After Forever, but now I would love to see that happen!! (Being a little bit disappointed by ReVamp's debut)
jadawal - 17.11.2012 at 16:32
WHOO! I hated annette from the start. The last two albums are meaningless to me because of her, ecspecially the last imaginarium, the vocals just kill it for me.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

News Crystal Eyes - Part Ways With Singer 7 01.02.2009 by The Shape 1973
News The Human Abstract - Part Ways With Singer, Touring Vocalist Announced 7 26.08.2011 by opeth771
News Drowning Pool - Part Ways With Singer 7 29.11.2011 by Absak
News Bloodbound - Part Ways With Singer, Replacement Announced 7 20.04.2010 by Darkside Momo
News Human Fortress - Part Ways With Singer 7 06.05.2010 by MetalAlex