"Curtain", a brand-new song from Australian extreme metal act Portal can now be exclusively streamed on Pitchfork.

"Curtain" comes off of the band's upcoming album Vexovoid, due out February 19th through Profound Lore Records. More album details were previously reported here and here.

Vexovoid tracklist:

01. Kilter
02. The Back Wards
03. Curtain
04. Plasm
05. Awryeon
06. Orbmorphia
07. Oblotten

Source: pitchfork.com
Band profile: Portal

Posted: 13.12.2012 by J. N.

Comments

J. N. - 13.12.2012 at 21:28
Sounds massive as ever.
Mr. Doctor - 13.12.2012 at 21:44
Indeed it does.
Marcel Hubregtse - 13.12.2012 at 21:45
Since when has Profound Lore fused with Southern Lord and has become Profound Lord Records?
!J.O.O.E.! - 13.12.2012 at 21:47
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.12.2012 at 21:45

The ultimate hipster label no doubt.
J. N. - 13.12.2012 at 21:50
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.12.2012 at 21:45

Oh, shush.
Pazdzioch - 13.12.2012 at 21:59
It was damn good.
theFIST - 13.12.2012 at 22:04
Seems like their sound stayed closer to the previous album than usually
Swarth was great already, so i"m certainly looking forward to the rest of it
Void Eater - 13.12.2012 at 22:18
Sounds more like "normal" death metal to me, but its still really good. Definitely anticipating this album.
Vombatus - 13.12.2012 at 22:49
Less chaotic than older stuff.... maybe wrong, been a while since I last listened to them.
Apatheria - 13.12.2012 at 23:36
After a repetitive, unimpressive intro, the song really picks up. By the song's midpoint, the listener has been hurled into a pulsating vortex of insanity and chaos; which is exactly what one expects when listening to a Portal song. They've still got it, folks.

My most anticipated release of 2013 so far.
Alex Fenger - 13.12.2012 at 23:44
Damn that's good
DavidAdamMeredith - 14.12.2012 at 04:49
Portal delivers
King Bonzo - 14.12.2012 at 15:55
Sounds more like an actual song than an assault on the senses than the stuff on Swarth. I dig it.
Candlemass - 14.12.2012 at 21:54
"Source: pitchfork.com"
WTF?! lol
!J.O.O.E.! - 14.12.2012 at 22:39
Written by Candlemass on 14.12.2012 at 21:54

"Source: pitchfork.com"
WTF?! lol

Why does that surprise you? Pitchfork have plenty of metal on their site.
Candlemass - 14.12.2012 at 22:52
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 14.12.2012 at 22:39

Written by Candlemass on 14.12.2012 at 21:54

"Source: pitchfork.com"
WTF?! lol

Why does that surprise you? Pitchfork have plenty of metal on their site.

Black metal and doom metal are now somewhat trendy, so they review 'em.
Pitchfork to me is (still) indie kingdom.
tho, I remember reading once a decent metal review there...
!J.O.O.E.! - 14.12.2012 at 23:53
Written by Candlemass on 14.12.2012 at 22:52

Black metal and doom metal are now somewhat trendy, so they review 'em.
Pitchfork to me is (still) indie kingdom.
tho, I remember reading once a decent metal review there...

Well Portal are probably about the most hipster-ish death metal band in current existence (it's on Profound Lore after all) so I'm not at all surprised to see them on there.
Candlemass - 14.12.2012 at 23:59
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 14.12.2012 at 23:53

Written by Candlemass on 14.12.2012 at 22:52

Black metal and doom metal are now somewhat trendy, so they review 'em.
Pitchfork to me is (still) indie kingdom.
tho, I remember reading once a decent metal review there...

I took them to be kinda 'kvlt'. I guess that's the new hipster stuff. The new track sounds good BTW.
!J.O.O.E.! - 15.12.2012 at 00:03
Written by Candlemass on 14.12.2012 at 23:59

Well as I've often said with regard to much metal, it's not the band that is hipster, it's much of the fanbase and how people flock to them. Portal have everything that hipsters would want; the look, the extreme "cool" sound and they're on the right label etc. and when a band becomes unusually big for its sound then that's because of hipsters. Merzbow, Sunn O))), Deathspell Omega, Portal, Wolves in the Throne Room etc. all hipster-prone if you ask me.
Candlemass - 15.12.2012 at 00:34
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 15.12.2012 at 00:03

Written by Candlemass on 14.12.2012 at 23:59

Nice analysis.
Mr. Doctor - 15.12.2012 at 00:44
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 15.12.2012 at 00:03

Exactly... It's not the band but the fanbase. Quite a curious phenomenon which never stops to amuse me.
!J.O.O.E.! - 15.12.2012 at 00:52
Written by Mr. Doctor on 15.12.2012 at 00:44

Indeed. The amount of people that try to tar WitTR with the hipster brush because they actually think the band are/have hipster motives is an endless source of amusement.
Mr. Doctor - 15.12.2012 at 01:00
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 15.12.2012 at 00:52

Exactly! I never (well, almost never) laugh at the hipster fanbase... The funniest people are definitely the kvlt ones who shun bands like WITTR for being hipster without knowing shit.
For example this fella a couple of years younger than me who works half time at a cd store just whines about bands being true or not. Like Mayhem are absolute sell-outs and a shame for all BM and specially his god Euronymous! They are just for the money now and blablabla... let alone bands like Satyricon or Darkthrone who wanted to do something else. Obviously there's no irony in the fact that he's ok with the drastic changes in non-bm bands or the best moment when I asked him "would it be okay if Darkthrone released the later albums under another name?" and he said yes! Oh man I was so close to just drop my poker face and laugh. Oh... and USA shouldn't be messing around with BM!

MAN... kvlt people, the funniest around.
!J.O.O.E.! - 15.12.2012 at 01:03
Written by Mr. Doctor on 15.12.2012 at 01:00

MAN... kvlt people, the funniest around.

Ironically it's people with those attitudes who could actually be regarded as hipsters. People that only think unknown bands with a limited fanbase are "True." If Wolves had never garnered the success they had I very much doubt the term "hipster" would be thrown at them so much. Try explaining that to someone of that nature though.
Sumentaa - 16.12.2012 at 16:00
The "Hell" Portal is opened. Damn good
Candlemass - 20.12.2012 at 18:23
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 15.12.2012 at 01:03

Written by Mr. Doctor on 15.12.2012 at 01:00

MAN... kvlt people, the funniest around.

Eric Hoffer - "Nonconformists travel as a rule in bunches. You rarely find a nonconformist who goes it alone."
Mr. Doctor - 20.12.2012 at 18:47
Written by Candlemass on 20.12.2012 at 18:23

Hopefully you won't think of me as being too dumb to follow but I didn't quite get both the quote and how it applies here.
GutturalNinja - 20.01.2013 at 05:26
What's the big deal about a non-stereotypical metal fan listenning to such bands? I'd understand why someone unfamiliar with the crudeness and raw sound of Darkthrone or Suffocation would first show interest in Deathspell Omega and Ulcerate instead. I know most people that have commented on here would agree with this but I thought I'd share anyway. As someone else said, that kind of unidirectional elitism can get pretty ironic.

News Portal - Another New Song Streaming Online 10.5 18.01.2013 by Alex Fenger